Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Anaheim is the best option for Ottawa and likely Debrincat. They can pay him 9 million or whatever he is looking for. They also have so many disposable assets they can make the deal.

Something around Henrique 50% Retained, Luneau, 2nd 2024 and one of Perreault or Tracy for an extended Debrincat would make sense for both teams.
I doubt he'd want Anaheim: high taxes, the team is weak and their goalie wants out.

Something will happen before his arbitration date - that's the pressure point.

Hopefully he gets an early hearing.
If that is how it goes down we can expect a poor return.

I think the fate of this trade is sealed: we are almost assuredly getting a return that will be for DBC as a rental.

The player wants to get UFA overpaid now and no team really wants him now, to say nothing of overpaying for a smaller winger. Hard to imagine a scenario where we can pull off a sign'n'trade.

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
At this point I just want him gone and then maybe we can get Tarasenko. Just move him, enough of this clown show. Preferably somewhere in the Western Conference.

Reactions: SensFactor

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I doubt he'd want Anaheim: high taxes, the team is weak and their goalie wants out.

I dont think its that bad of a destination if they pay him 9 million. He's there for 8 years they are going to be good. They have the best prospect pool in the NHL and have some terrific play makers/Americans already. Yeah Taxes arent ideal but living in Newport Beach is.

Reactions: Sensators

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Agree on the Anaheim RD riches. Hague is a lefty and we are stacked there. Any one of Anaheims top4 RD straight up would make me accept. The rest we can fill in other ways.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I dont think its that bad of a destination if they pay him 9 million. He's there for 8 years they are going to be good. They have the best prospect pool in the NHL and have some terrific play makers/Americans already. Yeah Taxes arent ideal but living in Newport Beach is.

Taxes thing is overstated in some cases. Anaheim is such a nice place to live.

Fewer guys are going to want to live in Miami and Tampa considering the affordability advantage has evaporated.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Fewer guys are going to want to live in Miami and Tampa considering the affordability advantage has evaporated.
1688584931676.png

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018

Most/all NHL players would love to play in any state that doesn't have state income taxes

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
They really need to implement a higher cap for markets with higher tax rates. Probably more complicated than it sounds considering each player gets taxed based on the home/visiting city they’re playing in but there’s gotta be a solution there somewhere.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Gag.

It's not what it was. They save money on state tax but lose it elsewhere. It makes living in a place like Cali seem more affordable in comparison.
No, it still is a deciding factor for players signing big contracts. Saving a million a year in taxes beats the cost of living rises that some of these states have seen.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
From an asset management perspective, can we not just sign him to a 1 year deal before arbitration, let's say 8M. Retain a decent amount, Trade him to a team he has interest in signing with long-term that's currently tight with the budget but where they agree in principle to a long term deal when he's allowed to actually sign it(January?).

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Anyone else afraid of what Pierre and the Sens scouting staff get back from Detroit in the DBC trade? Playoffs or bust for Dorion this year, so it probably won’t be a trade for futures

Nothing scarier than a GM that knows his job is on the line, look at Benning trading for OEL a couple years ago.

Reactions: Skid

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
He's off the table from what I was told. Thats who the sens wanted and thats why the deal fell apart on draft day. Berggren was being offered along with whatever first is later in 2024 and one of the seconds in 2023. Sens said no then it died.
where did you see this?

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Anyone else afraid of what Pierre and the Sens scouting staff get back from Detroit in the DBC trade? Playoffs or bust for Dorion this year, so it probably won’t be a trade for futures

Nothing scarier than a GM that knows his job is on the line, look at Benning trading for OEL a couple years ago.
Maybe players like Kubalik, Copp? Idk

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
From an asset management perspective, can we not just sign him to a 1 year deal before arbitration, let's say 8M. Retain a decent amount, Trade him to a team he has interest in signing with long-term that's currently tight with the budget but where they agree in principle to a long term deal when he's allowed to actually sign it(January?).

We only have ~5.500 to replace him. Anything we retain on him would eat into that. So, to make your idea work - we would first need to find a replacement with a low enough salary to combine for 5.500, given the retension.

Just for example, we could do:
D.Dube - 2.300
for
A.DeBrincat - 4.800 (3.200 retained by OTT)

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015

Ya must be tough for him and his family. If I were shipped to a far distant 3rd world s**t hole across the globe like Ottawa I'd too be demanding a trade back to my first world comforts of Detroit. It's hard to downgrade a family's living condition so much while trying to scrape by on a measly few millions a year. Hard not to relate, I feel for the guy.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Ya must be tough for him and his family. If I were shipped to a far distant 3rd world s**t hole across the globe like Ottawa I'd too be demanding a trade back to my first world comforts of Detroit. It's hard to downgrade a family's living condition so much while trying to scrape by on a measly few millions a year. Hard not to relate, I feel for the guy.
He waited for the LRT once, and that was it. He understood.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
They really need to implement a higher cap for markets with higher tax rates. Probably more complicated than it sounds considering each player gets taxed based on the home/visiting city they’re playing in but there’s gotta be a solution there somewhere.

I pitched an idea on twitter not long ago. I think it makes sense, but I am sure there is more complications that I can't foresee to actually implementing it.

Set a league wide cap, but each team is allowed to exceed the cap based upon the local tax rate of the team.

Maybe it is too simplistic, but...seems to level the financial playing field a little.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Having said that the counter arguement is sorting out other cost of living. What does a mansion cost in Kanata vs Sunrise, Florida

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad