Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I pitched an idea on twitter not long ago. I think it makes sense, but I am sure there is more complications that I can't foresee to actually implementing it.

Set a league wide cap, but each team is allowed to exceed the cap based upon the local tax rate of the team.

Maybe it is too simplistic, but...seems to level the financial playing field a little.
NFL has a hard cap yet players will still choose a team like Buffalo which has bad weather, no night life and high taxes, over bad teams in no tax states. Tax implications are overblown.

Reactions: bicboi64

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Ya must be tough for him and his family. If I were shipped to a far distant 3rd world s**t hole across the globe like Ottawa I'd too be demanding a trade back to my first world comforts of Detroit. It's hard to downgrade a family's living condition so much while trying to scrape by on a measly few millions a year. Hard not to relate, I feel for the guy.

I always judge a city by the number of Olive Garden's within 5kms

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
NFL has a hard cap yet players will still choose a team like Buffalo which has bad weather, no night life and high taxes, over bad teams in no tax states. Tax implications are overblown.

Being a Bills fan, players used the Bills as leverage for many many years to sign contracts elsewhere unless we vastly overpaid much like the Sens.

It wasn’t until we started winning did free agents want to come to Buffalo and turned a blind eye to the poor city life, freezing weather and old facility etc

The same will happen here if we start to have success.

Only crap teams in beautiful cities does this not really apply to as much

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I pitched an idea on twitter not long ago. I think it makes sense, but I am sure there is more complications that I can't foresee to actually implementing it.

Set a league wide cap, but each team is allowed to exceed the cap based upon the local tax rate of the team.

Maybe it is too simplistic, but...seems to level the financial playing field a little.
It's not a bad idea. Maybe set the salary cap based on take home pay (i.e. after tax/net income) rather than gross pay.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Having said that the counter arguement is sorting out other cost of living. What does a mansion cost in Kanata vs Sunrise, Florida

Kanata is probably a lot more tbh. That said no one wants to live in Sunrise, so if we’re talking about a mansion on the water in FLL or Miami it tilts the other way.

Reactions: ColinM

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
Sounds like DET will terminate Zadina's contract which will give them more room for a Debrincat extension.

They have the cap space now though so not exactly sure what that is about unless 1) they just want to have a better cap situation over the next couple of years or 2) there is more players involved from our side

Reactions: bicboi64

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Sounds like DET will terminate Zadina's contract which will give them more room for a Debrincat extension.

They have the cap space now though so not exactly sure what that is about unless 1) they just want to have a better cap situation over the next couple of years or 2) there is more players involved from our side
They have almost $10M in cap space and are currently sitting at a 23 man roster with Veleno to sign as an RFA. They have more than enough cap to make it happen and have since well before free agency opened up. They could send Kubalik's $2.5M cap hit back too, if that eases the burden for them this year although I can't imagine Debrincat getting more than 8x$8.5M from them.

Reactions: DrEasy

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
They have almost $10M in cap space and are currently sitting at a 23 man roster with Veleno to sign as an RFA. They have more than enough cap to make it happen and have since well before free agency opened up. They could send Kubalik's $2.5M cap hit back too, if that eases the burden for them this year although I can't imagine Debrincat getting more than 8x$8.5M from them.

They may have some other dominoes lined up but yeah they have more than enough space to accommodate.

I’m guessing the hold up, at this point, is DBC’s AAV. Detroit probably wants it below 8.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax

I wonder if Dorian is balking at trading a player within our division.

R2010

May 23, 2011

Zadina is the one who agreed to have terminated. Him willing to forgo millions for a fresh start makes me like him more character wise. Might be a good buy low candidate.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Zadina is the one who agreed to have terminated. Him willing to forgo millions for a fresh start makes me like him more character wise. Might be a good buy low candidate.

I think he's nuts. He'd be lucky to make that in 10 years in Europe.

Not to mention, it implies that he believes there's nothing he can learn from the AHL.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Kanata is probably a lot more tbh. That said no one wants to live in Sunrise, so if we’re talking about a mansion on the water in FLL or Miami it tilts the other way.
it's more of a quality of life argument imo, you buy a mansion in Kanata (or on the beach in florida), and then sell it in 7 years or however long you signed for with decent growth every year, no capital gains if it's your principal residence (not sure how the tax situation works in the states so I'll defer on the florida side), not really a sunk cost or anything,

R2010

May 23, 2011

Not to mention, it implies that he believes there's nothing he can learn from the AHL.

I mean. On the other hand he could be nuts like you say. haha

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
it's more of a quality of life argument imo, you buy a mansion in Kanata (or on the beach in florida), and then sell it in 7 years or however long you signed for with decent growth every year, no capital gains if it's your principal residence (not sure how the tax situation works in the states so I'll defer on the florida side), not really a sunk cost or anything,

Yeah it's more about the upfront cost of a down payment and carry costs while you use the asset. You're likely to make money in the long run but more expensive housing means more penny pinching (in the lightest sense of the term) elsewhere.

Florida is similar although it's not an absolute tax holiday. Think you get $500,000 of gains tax-free on your personal residence.

I'm just saying, guys used to look at somewhere like Tampa and see nice weather, no state tax, cheap COL and rock-bottom housing (nice waterfront properties for under $1mm). Now COL and housing have normalized and are on par with markets in CA, so while the no state tax is still a boon if you value other things (politics, more moderate weather with seasonality, etc.) it's a tougher decision.

Reactions: Micklebot

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

He likely finds an NHL job at around league minimum on a prove it deal and seemingly wants that vs making more in the AHL.
I think he gets snapped up on a low AAV for a year ... Watch Seattle nab him,

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He likely finds an NHL job at around league minimum on a prove it deal and seemingly wants that vs making more in the AHL.
I think he gets snapped up on a low AAV for a year ... Watch Seattle nab him,

How many years at league minimum until he gets back up to ~$2.25M a season?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
How many years at league minimum until he gets back up to ~$2.25M a season?
How many years did he have at 2.5?
I don't know. If he wants to play in the NHL now this is a good way to do that... If his gamble doesn't work he leaves money on the table.
He's still young .. maybe he thinks he's more ready than ever.. If its your dream. Chase it.

Reactions: Nova Stutzlia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad