Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ahh, I remember the days when 400 pims made you a valuable player despite your single digit point totals.

Remember the Hockey News with their IQ (Intimidation Quotient) of adding goals and PIMs together?

Smart stuff: Hockey News gave its High IQ award to Eric Lindros of the Philadelphia Flyers, ahead of Keith Tkachuk of the Phoenix Coyotes--but it’s not what you think. This IQ stands for Intimidation Quotient.

I guess people stopped being intimidated by guys sitting in the box.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
I wonder how all the people who are like "I don't care what the return is, just get it over with already" are going to react when the trade finally does go down.

I think at this stage of the rebuild it's more about roster construction, so if the rumors are true about a guy like Tarasenko then taking a "lesser" deal to open up more cap space to sign him makes sense. The "trade" would then be Detroit's assets + the ability to sign Tarasenko.

in DeBrincat's case moving the cap space has value to us alone.

And, in the end, I would be more upset if we signed him to 8x8.5 than not getting full value in a trade.

I hope we get great value but I feel either way it's gonna work out for us

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
It sucks no matter what but if we could pull it off then I think we could get much better futures if we can find a way to keep him and trade him before the playoffs.

It would be tough to trade him when we are in a playoff spot and could backfire but we aren't winning the Cup this year anyway and we are lean in the prospect department. If the room would be OK and we can fit him under the cap it could be the very best position for the org going forward.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think at this stage of the rebuild it's more about roster construction, so if the rumors are true about a guy like Tarasenko then taking a "lesser" deal to open up more cap space to sign him makes sense. The "trade" would then be Detroit's assets + the ability to sign Tarasenko.

in DeBrincat's case moving the cap space has value to us alone.

And, in the end, I would be more upset if we signed him to 8x8.5 than not getting full value in a trade.

I hope we get great value but I feel either way it's gonna work out for us
Agree completely, especially if Tarasenko is interested in signing here which of course remains to be seen. If not than I would also be okay with trading DeBrincat & Brannstrom for Kubalik & Kostin & that would fix both the 2nd line LW spot & the 3rd line LW spot & leave enough money to re-sign Pinto at a decent cost. Kostin - Pinto - Sokolov 3rd line would be better than anything we had in the bottom six last yr.

Than we would just need to find a trading partner to take Joseph, once we get by this yr's salary crunch they should have more room to maneuver next summer. It's all about making some cap space to fit everyone under the cap while still improving the team overall.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
If we trade debrincat&bran for kostin&kubalik I will lose my mind.

Luckily I can rest easy knowing that there is no 2nd round pick from us going to Detroit in that scenario so dorion won't allow it.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
Perish the thought.
The Melnyk girls like the trade. I don’t know why his agent is being so stupid, at least fake it and pretend you are trying to help move your client. Picking up the rep that you like to screw teams over out of some weird spite seems like a bad long term strategy

Reactions: SENStastic

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
The Melnyk girls like the trade. I don’t know why his agent is being so stupid, at least fake it and pretend you are trying to help move your client. Picking up the rep that you like to screw teams over out of some weird spite seems like a bad long term strategy

DBC has literally all of the leverage and his agent knows it.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
DBC has literally all of the leverage and his agent knows it.
Ya but public statements about how you won’t work on a deal until after your traded seems like an unreasonable stance. Why publicly screw the Sens?
I don’t see the upside. It might damage future dealings with everyone you represent.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Ya but public statements about how you won’t work on a deal until after your traded seems like an unreasonable stance. Why publicly screw the Sens?
I don’t see the upside. It might damage future dealings with everyone you represent.

Not sure why he did that. DBC might have asked him to because he didn't like the narrative as it was being conveyed.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Not sure why he did that. DBC might have asked him to because he didn't like the narrative as it was being conveyed.
Probably to prevent tire kickers, wants to know the main pieces of a deal beforehand.
Otherwise wasting his time, listening to tire kickers.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
Probably to prevent tire kickers, wants to know the main pieces of a deal beforehand.
Otherwise wasting his time, listening to tire kickers.
Tire kickers might have lots of money for you, not being open to talks is not helping his client. It’s basically “I’m going to tank his value so you get nothing in a trade and I will not listen to offers for my guy”
It makes zero sense for anyone

SenatorsLegionary

Member of Sens Army
Oct 25, 2008
Montreal, Qc
Thanks for laying it out so clearly and comprehensively.

I'll admit I missed the 1/3 vs. 2/3 thing.

I'm not much of a CBA/capologist so I appreciate the tutorial!

Still not sure how much of a market there is out there for him, and I assume he'll only sign a one-way contract given his reluctance to go to Grand Rapids.

I'd think that most teams have a prospect or player 23 and younger that has similar or better potential and/or on-ice results than Zadina.

Is it even worth picking him up to stash him on your 4th line? He has a funny skillset that doesn't seem to lend itself to bottom six play.

No problem! I don't consider myself a true capologist or CBA connoisseur either, but I do find a lot of elements that go into contracts, player movement and team transactions super interesting so I try to keep up with some of the details regarding the salary cap and this just happened to be one of the things that I knew about.

I'm also unsure about Zadina's market and I agree that his actions indicate that he wants a 1-way to avoid playing in the AHL.

If i had to speculate, I feel like there has to be a few teams out there willing to give him a one year deal somewhere between league minimum and $1.0M. He might have to be open to some less attractive destinations and/or bottom-feeders, but I think a team will take a chance and give him a shot based on his draft pedigree.

I wouldn't say that he's awful or a liability when on the ice, he's a high effort player, decent defensively and has produced generally at a 25-30 point pace over a full 82 games. His overwhelming issue is that his production is a far far cry from the hype and expectations that came with where he was drafted. I think he can still become an effective player, but it looks like his offensive skills won't come close to what they were projected to be.

Second buyout window , if have an arbitration case, not sure if they do.

Buyouts in the second window can only happen to players with a cap hit of $4.0M or more. Zadina wouldn't be eligible whether the Wings have an arbitration case or not. It's also why it's still possible with Matt Murray and the Leafs, for example.

Detroit missed the deadline to buyout Zadina this year, they'll only get another chance next offseason to buy out the last year of his contract if he were still on their roster. Since they did not buy him out prior to June 30th, they were locked in to pay him $1.83M this season if it were not for the mutual contract termination.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Tire kickers might have lots of money for you, not being open to talks is not helping his client. It’s basically “I’m going to tank his value so you get nothing in a trade and I will not listen to offers for my guy”
It makes zero sense for anyone
Disagree, they are open to talks with every team,
But if you can’t agree on the main pieces in a deal, there is no point in going further.

Ie. Team offers a second round pick, there is no point going any further with discussions.

Reactions: SENStastic

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
But if you can’t agree on the main pieces in a deal, there is no point in going further.

Ie. Team offers a second round pick, there is no point going any further with discussions.
And isn't this just the usual course of action? I didn't think teams typically said get out there and negotiate with everyone. In some ways that could hurt you if they don't like what they hear.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023

GM “Hey Debrincat is available should we trade for him?”
Owner “what’s he want for a contract”
GM “I don’t know he refuses to negotiate”
Owner”so he will or won’t stay?”
GM”Don’t know”
Owner “so we have to give assets and move out a decent player to fit him under the cap and he might not stay and he Won’t talk”

I guess playing so hard to get that you refuse to take offers is one way to go about things but being too lazy to listen to offers seems like he should be fired on the spot

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
GM “Hey Debrincat is available should we trade for him?”
Owner “what’s he want for a contract”
GM “I don’t know he refuses to negotiate”
Owner”so he will or won’t stay?”
GM”Don’t know”
Owner “so we have to give assets and move out a decent player to fit him under the cap and he might not stay and he Won’t talk”
Sounds like a Dilbert exchange

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad