Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Tarasenko + Berggren in vs. DeBrincat is probably a wash, but I worry about the term that we'd need to convince Tarasenko to sign in Ottawa over a contender like Carolina.

5.5M for a year would be great. 5.5M x 3YRs could backfire tremendously.

But Dorion has been throwing around term like a man who knows his days are probably numbered, so it wouldn't surprise me.

I wouldn't go over 1 year for Tarasenko either. But he seems to be in a tough spot. Nobody has cap space and Carolina is even cheaper (in terms of giving out salary and years) than we are.

His best bet could be to take the 1 year deal at a higher number and try again next summer.

There always seems to be a guy left standing in mid-July who has to reset their expectations and settle. Last year it was Klingberg. This year it looks to be Tarasenko.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Even with the cap going up, Debrincat at 8.5 would be a problem considering we'll want to extend Sanderson and Chychrun.

There's a real possibility that by the end of next season, DBC would have been our 7th most important player behind Stützle, Tkachuk, Norris, Sanderson, Chabot and Chychrun. I don't think a team should pay their 7th most important player $8.5M AAV. I certainly wouldn't want them to be the highest paid player on the team.

Also factor in that a lot of Debrincat's value comes from being the shooter on the PP. But we have Norris and Chychrun who both, arguable, have better shots and will be better in that role.

I like Debrincat and I thought the trade made sense at the time. But a year later, it doesn't make as much sense anymore. Things have changed and we'll be better off moving on.
DBC gives us options and keeps our window open imo. Sanderson might go long term but it might make more sense to bridge him to keep the team stacked. Are we going to pay Chychrun + Sanderson + Chabot all LD 8+ mill each? I doubt that too.

I disagree with Norris being a better finisher but I can see why people would think that. Norris could be but needs to show it over a longer period of time

Also Giroux is not a long term option the money spent on a wingers opens up once he is out the door

if we were trading DBC for a goal scoring young winger then I can get on board but banking on the last remaining top 6 winger who is past his prime as the replacement option doesn't sit well with me.

Perhaps if Dorion can work some magic and trade Breggren + the 1st for Konecy then I would be pretty happy with that

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
The clip is 12 minutes. You responded in 2.

Watch the clip first.
It appeared in here a few hours (approx) before you posted it.

i rather have DBC the younger and by far the best player in that deal. For me the future pieces are not as important as competing now.

DBC at 8.5 won't be a big issue with the cap going up and being 25 long term is not a risk.

Not a big fan of Tarasenko in his current state. As a stop gap its fine but it is a downgrade
The issue is not 2024-25 and beyond. It's the cap squeeze this year. There's been several posts with rosters and salaries posted in here before.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Debrincat and Brannstrom are no longer on the Sens roster on NHL.com

This is very odd because:

- Pinto is there as RFA and still hasn't signed
- MacEwen is there so it's not like it wasn't updated

Brannstrom taken off makes no sense at all.

I think we will know more at noon.

Reactions: gab6511

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If we traded Brannstrom and DBC together, which I think is very possible. I really hope we get Rasmussen and Berggren as part of a package.

Reactions: SAK11

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
If we traded Brannstrom and DBC together, which I think is very possible. I really hope we get Rasmussen and Berggren as part of a package.
DRW fan here. Sounds good to me. I like Berg and Ras, but that's a done deal. I would expect a pick to Ott as well.

Last edited:

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Need this trade to happen today come on let's go!!! Then sign Tarasenko!

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
That would be pretty amazing sleuthing if it turns out they both get traded.

I would tip my cap big time.

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
A part of me wonders that if Brannstrom is included, is it because Kleven is forcing his way on the team?

I don’t see them trading JBD with him being a part of the ND quartet.

Reactions: Silencio

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
A part of me wonders that if Brannstrom is included, is it because Kleven is forcing his way on the team?

Kleven is the guy that will be pushing Brannstrom out of his role, but I don't know that a rookie camp with what amounts to some pretty mediocre talent has done that.

The 1 year deal for Brannstrom makes sense in giving them the option to move on next year as an RFA if Kleven makes his way up, but as of now I don't think the rookie tournament has done anything.

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016

I would be shocked if Kleven didn't make it, looked amazing at dev camp and to end last year. Looks like he has put on good weight too

But you can also run Chabot, Chychrun, Sandy on the left and slide JBD in the lineup in case Kleven isn't ready

Its probably best to keep all d-men we have signed but we will see

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I would be shocked if Kleven didn't make it, looked amazing at dev camp and to end last year. Looks like he has put on good weight too

But you can also run Chabot, Chychrun, Sandy on the left and slide JBD in the lineup in case Kleven isn't ready

I won't be shocked at all. It's less common for a guy to go straight to the nhl bypassing the ahl.

They have flexibility with Kleven and they might as well use it, giving him maximum minutes in the A for 40 or 50 games

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Its not just Bos 1st, you're adding Brannstrom as well in that trade. I'd be looking for an additional pick back in that case, at least a 2nd, but obviously a 1st would be better.
I am just saying that as far as I’m concerned, Rasmussen (and Soderblom) are more appealing than any individual piece we’ve heard speculated on. Not a commentary on the value of that package

LOL at that quote, so generic.
Sources say the only thing holding back the deal is a general agreement on fair value from all parties involved

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Kleven is the guy that will be pushing Brannstrom out of his role, but I don't know that a rookie camp with what amounts to some pretty mediocre talent has done that.

The 1 year deal for Brannstrom makes sense in giving them the option to move on next year as an RFA if Kleven makes his way up, but as of now I don't think the rookie tournament has done anything.

Totally wouldn't be surprised if Brannstrom is being included in the deal as a way to slide Kleven into the lineup. Kleven gives them something they lack in their 6D: size + physicality. Bottom pairing minutes for him would be perfect this year. Might explain the Hamonic signing a bit too, if they form the bottom pair this year and then Hamonic spends most of his time getting healthy scratched in year 2 of his deal.

Reactions: GoSenatorsGo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad