Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
We've quantified Dorion's part to blame in this fiasco but who the hell is Jeff Jackson? The only players of note that he reps are McDavid, Ekblad, C. Brown and Debrincat. The McDavid contract was a piece of cake to negotiate, if we're being honest, and the Ekblad extension in 2017 was fairly routine for a former #1OA #1D in his prime. Maybe this guy doesn't have enough experience negotiating big contracts? The majority of the 15 players he reps are making near league minimum. The C. Brown situation was a disaster for his client and now he's in a pickle with the only other prominent player he reps due for a contract.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We've quantified Dorion's part to blame in this fiasco but who the hell is Jeff Jackson? The only players of note that he reps are McDavid, Ekblad, C. Brown and Debrincat. The McDavid contract was a piece of cake to negotiate, if we're being honest, and the Ekblad extension in 2017 was fairly routine for a former #1OA #1D in his prime. Maybe this guy doesn't have enough experience negotiating big contracts? The majority of the 15 players he reps are making near league minimum. The C. Brown situation was a disaster for his client and now he's in a pickle with the only other prominent player he reps due for a contract.
I think Brown is plenty happy. He’ll make 4 million this year, the most in his career, and lineup next to McDavid/Drai and pad his stats heading into an increased salary UFA next year.

Bertuzzi had long term offers, he chose a 1 year deal for the same reason.

Reactions: Sensators

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m thinking Debrincat’s agent is misreading what the market will be for his client next summer. The cap is only going up 4M and most teams will still be tight up against it.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I’m thinking Debrincat’s agent is misreading what the market will be for his client next summer. The cap is only going up 4M and most teams will still be tight up against it.
Like every year, lots of big money guys coming off the books, to go with an added 5ish million increase, and what will be more moves throughout the year.

Maybe CLB take Voraceks 8.3 + 5 and make a move for him. Maybe LA redistribute Kopitars 10 million between Kopitar and DBC and make room. Maybe the Panthers take Reinhardt 6.5 + 5 and make a move for him.

There will be lots of teams looking for DBC next year, and there will be lots of teams with added room.

There’s zero certainty, but there is going to be lots of space available next summer for a lot of teams. Not having to trade for a guy to talk contrac

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Cat needs a new agent. The kid is a very inconsistent goal scorer who is a one dimensional and small LWer at a time where the biggest team in the league just one a Stanley Cup and the league is dealing with a fairly flat cap.

You're not getting superstar money.

Reactions: OmniSens

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
^
Part of the fall guy or shift the blame routine?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Cat needs a new agent. The kid is a very inconsistent goal scorer who is a one dimensional and small LWer at a time where the biggest team in the league just one a Stanley Cup and the league is dealing with a fairly flat cap.

You're not getting superstar money.
Caulfield just got 8 off an ELC, the cap is rising by ~5 next season.

He’s still going to get paid as a UFA

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Like every year, lots of big money guys coming off the books, to go with an added 5ish million increase, and what will be more moves throughout the year.

Maybe CLB take Voraceks 8.3 + 5 and make a move for him. Maybe LA redistribute Kopitars 10 million between Kopitar and DBC and make room. Maybe the Panthers take Reinhardt 6.5 + 5 and make a move for him.

There will be lots of teams looking for DBC next year, and there will be lots of teams with added room.

There’s zero certainty, but there is going to be lots of space available next summer for a lot of teams. Not having to trade for a guy to talk contrac
Honestly I don’t see it being much different than this year. Most teams have put off their own guys until next year and Debrincat is not going to get any bigger this season. No chance he gets Meier money.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
DBC is not in the wrong here. Dorion knew exactly what his QO would be, knew that DBC wasn’t interested in an extension and decided to gamble and trade for him anyway.
DBC has no obligation to facilitate a trade. It seems to me to be very clear that he just wants to play a monster year and cash in as a UFA. But Dorion is embarrassed because this hurts DBC’s trade value and the trade from last summer will reflect poorly on Dorion. But it was Dorion who gambled.
Now Garrioch is slagging DBC for Dorion. The players aren’t stupid. They see this behaviour and nobody is impressed. Dorion is just part of the clown show that needs to go once new ownership takes the reins.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Honestly I don’t see it being much different than this year. Most teams have put off their own guys until next year and Debrincat is not going to get any bigger this season. No chance he gets Meier money.
He probably won’t get Meier money.

Or he might.

Meier very, very likely gets more than 8.8 if he goes to UFA next season as well.

There is going to be lots of room next season, and there will be many moves made by many teams over the next 12 months. Finding a suitor for DBC at 7 x 8+ isn’t going to be a difficult task if he doesn’t poop in the corner this season.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I wonder how the arbitrator will judge value.? Will he place emphasis on current market conditions (a soft market for player salaries) or will he use historical values over a longer timeframe (i.e., 4 or more years)?

Given the current soft market condition, I can see Debrincat willing to take the arbitrator award and just going to free agency next year. There's been a lot of moves already and available slots are decreasing and values have been low this summer.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
DBC is not in the wrong here. Dorion knew exactly what his QO would be, knew that DBC wasn’t interested in an extension and decided to gamble and trade for him anyway.
DBC has no obligation to facilitate a trade. It seems to me to be very clear that he just wants to play a monster year and cash in as a UFA. But Dorion is embarrassed because this hurts DBC’s trade value and the trade from last summer will reflect poorly on Dorion. But it was Dorion who gambled.
Now Garrioch is slagging DBC for Dorion. The players aren’t stupid. They see this behaviour and nobody is impressed. Dorion is just part of the clown show that needs to go once new ownership takes the reins.
The bold, I don't think is accurate. Otherwise, I mostly agree

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He probably won’t get Meier money.

Or he might.

Meier very, very likely gets more than 8.8 if he goes to UFA next season as well.

There is going to be lots of room next season, and there will be many moves made by many teams over the next 12 months. Finding a suitor for DBC at 7 x 8+ isn’t going to be a difficult task if he doesn’t poop in the corner this season.
We will see. I just don’t see him as an 8M player at his size.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I think Brown is plenty happy. He’ll make 4 million this year, the most in his career, and lineup next to McDavid/Drai and pad his stats heading into an increased salary UFA next year.

Bertuzzi had long term offers, he chose a 1 year deal for the same reason.
He's made $4M the last 2 seasons and I can't imagine he asked to leave Ottawa so he could get a 1 year deal at the same salary he was just making. Isn't the whole point of what Brown did to test free agency and get at least 5 years and $5M+ AAV? If he ended up with a 1 year deal at the exact same money, seems like a failure of guidance to me. He may well end up cashing in next year or his injuries might end up limiting his fairly limited offense.
^
Part of the fall guy or shift the blame routine?
I don't know what you're talking about. Why does any side have to carry all the blame?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I don't know what you're talking about. Why does any side have to carry all the blame?
They don't. But your post spent more time and energy talking about the agent and his supposed lack of experience, etc. I would imagine there's some posting history that would weigh into this as well (reference to your 1st sentence).

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
They don't. But your post spent more time and energy talking about the agent and his supposed lack of experience, etc. I would imagine there's some posting history that would weigh into this as well (reference to your 1st sentence).
Yeah because the first line said "we know what Dorion's part of the blame is in this..."

Dorion can carry some of the blame and the agent can also be inexperienced at negotiating deals for prominent free agents, evidenced by the fact that he has 4 high quality players under his representation. The ideas are not exclusive of each other.

What a bizarre back and forth this is.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Yeah because the first line said "we know what Dorion's part of the blame is in this..."

Dorion can carry some of the blame and the agent can also be inexperienced at negotiating deals for prominent free agents, evidenced by the fact that he has 4 high quality players under his representation. The ideas are not exclusive of each other.

What a bizarre back and forth this is.
Ya, I saw that. I'd guess you're trying to deemphasize posting history, but no big wup I suppose. The optics make it look like Debrincat doesn't want to play in Ottawa (maybe for a Canadian team). If that's the case and someone accepts that stance, then that's the most important factor in this you'd think and it lessens the relevance for the rest of the debate.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Agent cries because the truth hurts? Lol who cares
The Cat and his agent have been dreaming of that 9-10 million dollar a year payday for 3 years now.
Spoiled athlete brat having a tantrum because he has never heard the word no in his life. “It must be all Dorion fault”
Is DeBrincat having a tantrum? The closest I see to a tantrum is Dorion being upset that DeBrincat won't sign long-term on his schedule.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Ya, I saw that. I'd guess you're trying to deemphasize posting history, but no big wup I suppose. The optics make it look like Debrincat doesn't want to play in Ottawa (maybe for a Canadian team). If that's the case and someone accepts that stance, then that's the most important factor in this you'd think and it lessens the relevance for the rest of the debate.

BG/TSN have been saying this for 6 months almost. Surely there is some fact to DBC not wanting to stay in Ottawa.

I cannot see this being leaked as a reason to force him to sign. It must have been to ready the fanbase for the usual disappointment.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Seriously. It's his right to take a 1-year deal and bet on himself, and I can't believe how many people are criticizing him for it. It's not like he's said he won't play here.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Oh, this is a pointless discussion. I'm happy to leave this where it's at. Enjoy.

Hockeysawks

May 16, 2023
Is DeBrincat having a tantrum? The closest I see to a tantrum is Dorion being upset that DeBrincat won't sign long-term on his schedule.
You don’t think he called up his agent in a hissy to see what the frick is going on?
I don’t know why else he would feel the need to tweet out about “actual contract talks”

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
You don’t think he called up his agent in a hissy to see what the frick is going on?
I don’t know why else he would feel the need to tweet out about “actual contract talks”
I have no idea whether or not he called his agent. I'm sure his agent didn't need Cat to tell him that Dorion's public comments were bad for his business.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He's made $4M the last 2 seasons and I can't imagine he asked to leave Ottawa so he could get a 1 year deal at the same salary he was just making. Isn't the whole point of what Brown did to test free agency and get at least 5 years and $5M+ AAV? If he ended up with a 1 year deal at the exact same money, seems like a failure of guidance to me. He may well end up cashing in next year or his injuries might end up limiting his fairly limited offense.

Yes, my mistake was looking at his AAV.

I think a large majority of guys are looking for short term deals to get to the next 2 years of UFA. Bertuzzi’s agent flat out said that there were long term offers but felt this 1 year deal was the best they had money wise.

It’s definitely not as secure, but lots of guys are taking their time with signing long term deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad