Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
LOOL what an interview... why is she even there? Paulo is a babe and has multi millions... he can do better. You can say the same about his career tbh.
think she was there completing an interview with Martinez for Argentine media.... read that she is also an actress & model... not sure why she would be doing interviews though

Yeah, he's always been one of those players who I thought was excellent but Serie A never gets the spotlight in the states.

This guy is underrated

Brighton getting another classic Brighton signing, except not directly from South America.

Reactions: robertmac43

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Kane basically anywhere but Spurs makes sense.

I hope United pays through the nose for him.
Supposedly he still hasn't ruled out re-signing.

But if he doesn't I'm 99% sure he's off to United. Makes too much sense. Will still allow him to break Shearer's record.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Spurs? (I would assume not).

United?

I guess. I still think there's a lot of moving parts that have to work out.
LOL

Getting a kane level striker, a starting DM and possibly another depth midfielder along with a depth CB... Yeah, they would be able to challenge. Given their trajectory would expect them to after the summer.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Maybe. I just think I wouldn't put my money on it unless Pep decides he's going to Barbados or wherever, or FFP (jokes) actually does anything.

I also think that even with the collapse, Arsenal are likely in front of United (even with hitting on all of United's moves), and that's without any discussion of what Liverpool do or Newcastle spend.

You also have to figured at some point Chelsea get something right. A lot of progression happens a season or two after a giant spend. But who knows.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Maybe. I just think I wouldn't put my money on it unless Pep decides he's going to Barbados or wherever, or FFP (jokes) actually does anything.

I also think that even with the collapse, Arsenal are likely in front of United (even with hitting on all of United's moves), and that's without any discussion of what Liverpool do or Newcastle spend.

You also have to figured at some point Chelsea get something right. A lot of progression happens a season or two after a giant spend. But who knows.
I mean City isnt going to win the league every year. At some point a slip will happen. (maybe even this year,)

I dont expect Arsenal to build off what they already have. Unless, they go on a shopping spree shoring up their depth issue and upgrading certain areas I would assume they come back down to earth.

Could be but I wouldnt put my trust in Poch or this new ownership.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I dont expect Arsenal to build off what they already have. Unless, they go on a shopping spree shoring up their depth issue and upgrading certain areas I would assume they come back down to earth.
Kroenke has already said he's willing to spend and we're looking to buy two midfielders and likely a CB. Not sure what other depth issues there are, really. Not to mention this is the second youngest team in the prem. I'm not saying Arsenal will definitely challenge for the league next year because there are too many unknowns, but when the most important players on the team are 21, 21, 22, and 24, thinking they'll drastically regress is certainly a take. Guess there aren't enough Argentinians.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think City still have to be the prohibitive favorites each time out. Won't mean they don't slip up at some point. But they're also cut throat at getting new players in and getting rid of some older ones when it's time. Haaland also papers over a lot of potential cracks as they move forward. A striker putting in that many goals solves a lot of troubles you could have. Sure, health and all that will play, but their resources are still really tough to compete against.

I do think this summer is big for Arsenal. But I think when you have a large core of their starting 11 really pre-peak, you have the potential to improve quite rapidly. I mean, look at the number of players they have who are 21-24. Sure, some could fall off... but if they improve, that's really tough to match. My issue is more as you say, depth as you increase wear and tear on players, and needing to get the development of the midfield right. They have spots for 2-3 players in there.

I have no idea on Chelsea. I wouldn't be shocked for anything really. I just know that at some point, spending that much money, on what are players with ability, someone with time could get something out of it.

Reactions: maclean

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Kroenke has already said he's willing to spend and we're looking to buy two midfielders and likely a CB. Not sure what other depth issues there are, really. Not to mention this is the second youngest team in the prem. I'm not saying Arsenal will definitely challenge for the league next year because there are too many unknowns, but when the most important players on the team are 21, 21, 22, and 24, thinking they'll drastically regress is certainly a take. Guess there aren't enough Argentinians.
You never know what he will actually spend. And they have already spent a lot comparatively to get here. Revenues are up, and a new tv deal will again help. But... there's a limit to what they have (since they're not paying under the table like other clubs will certainly do). That said, your basic point is right. My issue is just the bulk of the midfield base is not in that group. Partey and Xhaka do a ton of minutes and they're going to get to a point of diminishing returns at this age.

Not to mention the sheer injury luck, and mileage on some of these young players could be prohibitive. A lot of luck is needed to continue an upward trend.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think City still have to be the prohibitive favorites each time out.
Yeah, I agree with this unless and until (1) Pep leaves or (2) the FA happens.
Haaland also papers over a lot of potential cracks as they move forward.
The only aspect of this is health. This is the most games he's ever played in a season and they still have at least 10 more games to play. But yes, City with Haaland is a juggernaut.
My issue is more as you say, depth as you increase wear and tear on players, and needing to get the development of the midfield right.
This is definitely my concern, partially because Arteta doesn't rotate a ton. How much of that is due to him feeling he doesn't have adequate backups and how much of it is due to managerial style? I'm not sure. But adding a couple new midfielders would go a long way to finding out.

Reactions: maclean

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
You never know what he will actually spend. And they have already spent a lot comparatively to get here. Revenues are up, and a new tv deal will again help. But... there's a limit to what they have (since they're not paying under the table like other clubs will certainly do). That said, your basic point is right. My issue is just the bulk of the midfield base is not in that group. Partey and Xhaka do a ton of minutes and they're going to get to a point of diminishing returns at this age.

Not to mention the sheer injury luck, and mileage on some of these young players could be prohibitive. A lot of luck is needed to continue an upward trend.
True, but there should be a decent amount of outgoings to offset some. Balogun wants a big money move, Tierney could be worth 30M, could see ESR going, which would be worth a bunch, Holding, Pepe, AMN, Mari, Tavares, Cedric, Runarsson, etc. Even if you don't get much money, it's something and it trims the wage bill (although, many of the loanees could have their entire wages paid for already).

But Arsenal was willing to spend on Caicedo and Mudryk in the winter window and got budget options (albeit perhaps a better option with Trossard), so I think they'd be willing to spend again.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Does every interaction with you have to be so unpleasant? Arsenal surprised many this year with their title challenge. Other than Manchesters the rest are really weak. One would expect improvement on New Castle, Liverpool and United and maybe Chelsea. Arsenal have to make move to keep pace based on their transfer history they really dont match other clubs.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
His teeth are fine just needs a better barber. Ten Hag is something else though Garnacho pleads with him to go to the U20s he says no and next day gets him to sign an extension lol.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Does every interaction with you have to be so unpleasant? Arsenal surprised many this year with their title challenge. Other than Manchesters the rest are really weak. One would expect improvement on New Castle, Liverpool and United and maybe Chelsea. Arsenal have to make move to keep pace based on their transfer history they really dont match other clubs.
Does every interaction with you have to be so negative? You love to shit on my team and then be surprised that I react. Yeah, they're ahead of where people thought they were going, but people thought they were going in that direction for a reason. I don't understand why Arsenal has to make so many moves to keep the pace but we should expect improvement from these other sides. If any of those sides want to improve, they're going to need to make moves, too. And Arsenal's recent transfer history has been very good, unlike Chelsea, United, and Liverpool. For what it's worth, you're also likely to see Spurs regress, and who knows whether Brighton, Villa, and Brentford will remain at the levels they are now.

Again, you are welcome to explain why Arsenal is going to fall back down to earth with the second youngest side in the premier league but these other sides will magically improve. I don't think you have much of an explanation.

f***ing hell, I'd love to see your reaction if someone said they expected Barca or Argentina to fall back down to earth. We'd be here for days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad