Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I'm curious. Those of you saying that Spurs will regress, are you talking in relation to this season? Because to me this season is quite the anomaly due to the toxic situation Conte created.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Does every interaction with you have to be so negative? You love to shit on my team and then be surprised that I react. Yeah, they're ahead of where people thought they were going, but people thought they were going in that direction for a reason. I don't understand why Arsenal has to make so many moves to keep the pace but we should expect improvement from these other sides. If any of those sides want to improve, they're going to need to make moves, too. And Arsenal's recent transfer history has been very good, unlike Chelsea, United, and Liverpool. For what it's worth, you're also likely to see Spurs regress, and who knows whether Brighton, Villa, and Brentford will remain at the levels they are now.

Again, you are welcome to explain why Arsenal is going to fall back down to earth with the second youngest side in the premier league but these other sides will magically improve. I don't think you have much of an explanation.

f***ing hell, I'd love to see your reaction if someone said they expected Barca or Argentina to fall back down to earth. We'd be here for days.
Where have I trolled or "shit" on your team. I merely give my opinion... you just happen to not like it. The only teams I hate in the EPL are Chelsea and united. THe rest I'm indifferent to or like watching them play. Hell even Chelsea/United sometimes I enjoy watching their footy. Because Chelsea, United and to lesser degree have shown they will go out and spend. Kroenke penny pinches. SPurs, Brighton. Villa and Brentford arent challenging for the league so that doesnt matter.

I already did. I expect Liverpool to bounce back. New Castle to spend more and improve. United to do the same as ETH continues to direct them along nicely. Arsenal have built a good base but falter after one injury as the season progressed. This exposed their lack of depth. Next season you will also have European football to manage. Will Arsenal buy that depth needed for both competitions? History suggests otherwise.

LOL someone dunks on Barca daily and I've laughed it off and poked fun at their expense. Unless they make up BS. Same with Argentina. But go off king.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Where have I trolled or "shit" on your team. I merely give my opinion... you just happen to not like it. The only teams I hate in the EPL are Chelsea and united. THe rest I'm indifferent to or like watching them play. Hell even Chelsea/United sometimes I enjoy watching their footy. Because Chelsea, United and to lesser degree have shown they will go out and spend. Kroenke penny pinches. SPurs, Brighton. Villa and Brentford arent challenging for the league so that doesnt matter.

I already did. I expect Liverpool to bounce back. New Castle to spend more and improve. United to do the same as ETH continues to direct them along nicely. Arsenal have built a good base but falter after one injury as the season progressed. This exposed their lack of depth. Next season you will also have European football to manage. Will Arsenal buy that depth needed for both competitions? History suggests otherwise.

LOL someone dunks on Barca daily and I've laughed it off and poked fun at their expense. Unless they make up BS. Same with Argentina. But go off king.
This argument would make a lot more sense if it were 2015 and Arsenal wasn't spending.

I think my favorite thing here is that United has built a good base but Arsenal is going to fall apart. United, older, lower in the table, worse = good base. Arsenal, young, higher in the table, better = falter.

Well, I guess you shouldn't be making up BS then.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I'm curious. Those of you saying that Spurs will regress, are you talking in relation to this season? Because to me this season is quite the anomaly due to the toxic situation Conte created.
I think so. If Kane leaves, I don't really see much upside for Spurs. Their CB situation is dire (pun intended), their midfield needs work, and their attacking situation, sans Kane, is pretty rough unless Son bounces back. And all of that ignores that they'll need a new GK. I mean, the players they have now I think should be starters on a top 4 side are Romero, Porro, Betancur, and Kulusevski. Hojbjerg being a rotational piece.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
This argument would make a lot more sense if it were 2015 and Arsenal wasn't spending.

I think my favorite thing here is that United has built a good base but Arsenal is going to fall apart. United, older, lower in the table, worse = good base. Arsenal, young, higher in the table, better = falter.

Well, I guess you shouldn't be making up BS then.
Compare their spending to those around them...

I said Arsenal built a good base but faltered after one injury (Saliba) and the season progressed which exposed their lack of depth. How else do you explain their shit form recently? I never said United built a good base, what I said was they should continue to improve as ETH is directed them. He already improved them a lot and I expect it to continue as he gets rid of the players he inherited.

What BS am I making up? Im simply giving my opinion. What Im not saying is Arsenal is broke and going to fold as a club. Just one example of nonsense I read about Barca recently. You are extremely sensitive and make it personal for no reason. Any time I post something I traces back to oh oh something Argentina... we cant have civil discussion whats the point? To each their own. I'll just stop respond as its clearly a waste of time and I have interest in fighting on a computer.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

I said Arsenal built a good base but faltered after one injury (Saliba) and the season progressed which exposed their lack of depth. How else do you explain their shit form recently? I never said United built a good base, what I said was they should continue to improve as ETH is directed them. He already improved them a lot and I expect it to continue as he gets rid of the players he inherited.

What BS am I making up? Im simply giving my opinion. What Im not saying is Arsenal is broke and going to fold as a club. Just one example of nonsense I read about Barca recently. You are extremely sensitive and make it personal for no reason. Any time I post something I traces back to oh oh something Argentina... we cant have civil discussion whats the point? To each their own. I'll just stop respond as its clearly a waste of time and I have interest in fighting on a computer.
In the EPL, since the 19/20 season (aka since Arteta), Arsenal are 4th in total spend, behind only Chelsea, United, and City, with a total spend of ~600M. City is at 630. United is at 703. Chelsea are at 1020. After Arsenal, comes Spurs (535), Villa, West Ham, Newcastle, Wolves, Leeds, Liverpool (318). In terms of net spend, Arsenal is 3rd at 480, trailing only United at 560 and Chelsea at 615. Spurs and Newcastle follow, at 383, with City in 8th (240) and Liverpool at 13th (145). Thinking that Arsenal won't spend but Liverpool will, for instance, when Liverpool has a lot more to paper over, seems silly to me.

You know what, I actually misread that, so my bad. I just think that expecting continued improvement from aging sides doesn't make much sense to me. Sure, United could have a massive window and paper over those cracks, but right now, their backline is held together with chewing gum and good vibes, their midfield is reliant on a couple people over 30, one of whom has literally already had a heart attack, and their attack is reliant on a white-hot Rashford, who, coming into this season, was being talked about as expendable following a four goal performance last year. Meanwhile, Chelsea and Liverpool both need a handful of midfielders and their best CB is over the age of 30 and declining.

I do like Newcastle to continue to improve, but at the same time, I'm not convinced Eddie Howe has staying power that high in the table. We'll see.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

You should look at their away record against the top teams this year. Rashford being on god mode is the only reason they look good.

And are you forgetting that Arsenal is going to get Champions League money? They already spent without it before.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
In the EPL, since the 19/20 season (aka since Arteta), Arsenal are 4th in total spend, behind only Chelsea, United, and City, with a total spend of ~600M. City is at 630. United is at 703. Chelsea are at 1020. After Arsenal, comes Spurs (535), Villa, West Ham, Newcastle, Wolves, Leeds, Liverpool (318). In terms of net spend, Arsenal is 3rd at 480, trailing only United at 560 and Chelsea at 615. Spurs and Newcastle follow, at 383, with City in 8th (240) and Liverpool at 13th (145). Thinking that Arsenal won't spend but Liverpool will, for instance, when Liverpool has a lot more to paper over, seems silly to me.

You know what, I actually misread that, so my bad. I just think that expecting continued improvement from aging sides doesn't make much sense to me. Sure, United could have a massive window and paper over those cracks, but right now, their backline is held together with chewing gum and good vibes, their midfield is reliant on a couple people over 30, one of whom has literally already had a heart attack, and their attack is reliant on a white-hot Rashford, who, coming into this season, was being talked about as expendable following a four goal performance last year. Meanwhile, Chelsea and Liverpool both need a handful of midfielders and their best CB is over the age of 30 and declining.

I do like Newcastle to continue to improve, but at the same time, I'm not convinced Eddie Howe has staying power that high in the table. We'll see.
Fair play. They may out spend LFC, one would imagine Newcastle purchase steadily increase though.

United have shown they can spend, as been discussed on here. Now they have a manager who knows who to buy and not just go for the big name. They backed him with Ronaldo they'll back him this summer. Unless, they go full stupid they should get him a striker and a DM. THier defence is fine just needs depth and to stay healthy. Maybe a RB could be upgraded.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Fair play. They may out spend LFC, one would imagine Newcastle purchase steadily increase though.

United have shown they can spend, as been discussed on here. Now they have a manager who knows who to buy and not just go for the big name. They backed him with Ronaldo they'll back him this summer. Unless, they go full stupid they should get him a striker and a DM. THier defence is fine just needs depth and to stay healthy. Maybe a RB could be upgraded.
United definitely can spend, although their sale may be a wrinkle for this window. That said, they haven't shown they can spend well. Martinez was a fine buy and Casemiro was great (although, I would personally avoid spending that much on someone who is 30+). But Antony was a massive overspend. The guy has basically the same stats as Reiss Nelson. Their big buy before that was Sancho. Maguire, AWB, Ronaldo, van de Beek, Fred, Lukaku, etc. United hasn't shown the ability to spend well any more than Arsenal has.

Saying defense is fine but needs depth and health is the exact same thing as Arsenal other than Arsenal being better at every position. I guess stuff like that is why I'm confused as to your seemingly different opinion of Arsenal vis-a-vis United. They both are willing to spend. They both have spent poorly in their past. Arsenal has a couple years of astute buys recently. United had a so-so summer.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I mean City isnt going to win the league every year. At some point a slip will happen. (maybe even this year,)

I dont expect Arsenal to build off what they already have. Unless, they go on a shopping spree shoring up their depth issue and upgrading certain areas I would assume they come back down to earth.

Could be but I wouldnt put my trust in Poch or this new ownership.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: maclean and Jussi

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
TBH i see this as the norm over the next couple of season unless they hit on the long term manager higher. Even with that, Levi and the deadwood on the squad will be a lot to overcome.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Official and a club record fee.

Not really of fan of this deal. Good player but 30M seems like a lot for someone who hasn't blown the championship away. He scored 9 goals his first season in the championship and he has 11 this year so far. He had 3 in the prem last season. 11 is more than 9 but that's not a huge jump in production and it's not like he's got 10+ assists to go with it. He's a very skilled player but someone who should be doing better than he has, maybe the toxic Watford environment could be an issue?

Also he seems better in a partnership type role than a lone striker and don't you guys usually play just 1 up top? Would think Ferguson would be that 1. I do think that Ferguson is a perfect strike partner for Pedro if you change up the formation. He's the type that would do the work for Pedro to find the space and produce. I think he'll be good for you but not sure 30M good.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Joao Pedro also offers something a lot of wingers of his profile don't, a lot of defensive hustle. The biggest problem I see with this deal is that he plays the Mitoma position as far as I can remember. Also, according to the stats compiled by whoscored, he's the best player in the Championship. 4th best on sofascore.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Not really of fan of this deal. Good player but 30M seems like a lot for someone who hasn't blown the championship away. He scored 9 goals his first season in the championship and he has 11 this year so far. He had 3 in the prem last season. 11 is more than 9 but that's not a huge jump in production and it's not like he's got 10+ assists to go with it. He's a very skilled player but someone who should be doing better than he has, maybe the toxic Watford environment could be an issue?

Also he seems better in a partnership type role than a lone striker and don't you guys usually play just 1 up top? Would think Ferguson would be that 1. I do think that Ferguson is a perfect strike partner for Pedro if you change up the formation. He's the type that would do the work for Pedro to find the space and produce. I think he'll be good for you but not sure 30M good.
From the stats I have seen, he has been one of the most dangerous players on the pitch even with a lack of overall goal contributions.

My guess is we see him played as a second striker of kinds, playing off of Ferguson. It's also helpful to have some depth as Welbeck is getting old and Undav is in need of some further development. Brighton has seen a slight dip in form recently and some added depth does not hurt there.

Joao Pedro also offers something a lot of wingers of his profile don't, a lot of defensive hustle. The biggest problem I see with this deal is that he plays the Mitoma position as far as I can remember. Also, according to the stats compiled by whoscored, he's the best player in the Championship. 4th best on sofascore.
There are already talks of Mitoma moving on next summer, sounds like we get one more season of him. Could be some due diligence form the Brighton staff to get a long term replacement.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

When I see him he plays more central but he has the speed and creativity to play the wing, just not his preferred or used position currently. He also isn't close to the best player in the league, 4th may be closer but still think a tad high. Definitely best on Watford and top 10 league but several I like more.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
When I see him he plays more central but he has the speed and creativity to play the wing, just not his preferred or used position currently. He also isn't close to the best player in the league, 4th may be closer but still think a tad high. Definitely best on Watford and top 10 league but several I like more.
I wonder if he gets a look in a front three on the right. Not his position or preferred side but if he can translate his game to the right the front 3 would be exciting.

Mitoma - Ferguson - Pedro

I could also see them putting Pedro on the right and playing Mitoma more central. RDZ has experimented with Mitoma drifting centrally and its had some good moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad