Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Nope but I'll say this If Smith goes #2 I'm gonna be drunk for a whole week and a week long hangover and probably wake up in Mexico.
6'0 Smith does have an elite shot like Fantilli and alot to like about his offense but he's not a speedster or a big guy. I don't see his hockey sense being anywhere close to Fantilli and Carlsson. Smith isn't gonna be able to learn to grow to 6'2 or 6'3.
I honestly don't even think PV's list has anyone under 6'2" on it except for maybe Bedard...maybe.

Reactions: lwvs84 and Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Heqds up, the Athletic on spotify has a prospect series episode on IIHF WCs. Don't ask me what they said, I'm about to dive in.

The Carlsson and Fantilli talk starts around the 10:54 mark. They like both players. They were surprised how fluid Carlsson looks at center despite playing wing for the past two seasons in the SHL.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
From ChatGPT

When asked who is Adam Fantilli- "Adam Fantilli is a highly regarded young ice hockey player. He was born on October 5, 2004, in Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada. Fantilli gained attention for his exceptional skills and potential as a forward.

Fantilli has played for various teams during his development, including the Chicago Mission in the United States and the Kimball Union Academy in the United States High School Prep League. He has impressed scouts and analysts with his offensive instincts, playmaking ability, and goal-scoring prowess.

It's worth noting that Fantilli's career is still in its early stages, and his path may evolve as he continues to develop as a player. For the most up-to-date information on his progress, I recommend referring to recent sports news or official team sources."

When asked who is Leo Carlsson- "I'm sorry, but I couldn't find any notable information about an ice hockey player named Leo Carlsson. It's possible that he may be a lesser-known player or a player who hasn't gained significant recognition at a professional or international level. If there are specific details or context regarding Leo Carlsson that you can provide, I may be able to offer more assistance."

The choice should be obvious :sarcasm:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
From ChatGPT

When asked who is Adam Fantilli- "Adam Fantilli is a highly regarded young ice hockey player. He was born on October 5, 2004, in Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada. Fantilli gained attention for his exceptional skills and potential as a forward.

Fantilli has played for various teams during his development, including the Chicago Mission in the United States and the Kimball Union Academy in the United States High School Prep League. He has impressed scouts and analysts with his offensive instincts, playmaking ability, and goal-scoring prowess.

It's worth noting that Fantilli's career is still in its early stages, and his path may evolve as he continues to develop as a player. For the most up-to-date information on his progress, I recommend referring to recent sports news or official team sources."

When asked who is Leo Carlsson- "I'm sorry, but I couldn't find any notable information about an ice hockey player named Leo Carlsson. It's possible that he may be a lesser-known player or a player who hasn't gained significant recognition at a professional or international level. If there are specific details or context regarding Leo Carlsson that you can provide, I may be able to offer more assistance."

The choice should be obvious :sarcasm:
Ha!

If you're using the regular GPT, its information is at the 2021 level or older. There was no word out on Carlsson by then I guess :laugh:

Reactions: GunnarStahl

mighty Stanley Duck

Feb 1, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I'm not worried about lack of toughness. I'm worried about lack of a shutdown No. 1 defender, the type who can play 28 minutes a night in the playoffs. What we have coming up is mostly puck-moving offensive types. Watching Edmonton lose in the playoffs was a never-ending series of saying "that's on Nurse."

I honestly wouldn't mind if there was one of those in the draft, but there isn't. It's nice that it's an incredibly good top-4 draft, but they're all forwards.
Having no1 D is good to have, but maybe not as much as before...looking at the remaining teams, only Heiskanen is a guy who is playing 25 + min.

Reactions: KyleJRM

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Having no1 D is good to have, but maybe not as much as before...looking at the remaining teams, only Heiskanen is a guy who is playing 25 + min.
As speed increases around the league, that might become more true. It's harder to play at really high speed for 25+ minutes a night. Depth will become more important.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
There are 5 D still playing that have averaged 25+ minutes in the playoffs Miro/Montour/Forsling/Ekblad/Burns. Petro and Slavin are both over 24.

Just because guys aren't playing 25+ minutes doesn't mean they aren't a #1 D. Petro and Slavin are #1's.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
There are 5 D still playing that have averaged 25+ minutes in the playoffs Miro/Montour/Forsling/Ekblad/Burns. Petro and Slavin are both over 24.

Just because guys aren't playing 25+ minutes doesn't mean they aren't a #1 D. Petro and Slavin are #1's.
This team could use a Montour and Ekblad.

Ekblad I assume is Florida version of Lindholm and Montour their version of Karlsson.

GunnarStahl

Oct 13, 2020

Cant help but feel that all the overtime’s Florida and the Canes have played through these playoffs might be contributing to the fact that all but two of the listed names play on those teams. Would be difficult but a more accurate number may be one that only reports regulation TOI. Even ignoring the 4OT behemoth game they have both had A LOT of OT games.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

GunnarStahl

Oct 13, 2020
Also after watching some of the QMJHL finals Mathieu Cataford stood out as a skilled forward who seemed to have a bit of bite. Q players always seem to be on Madden’s radar, so he could be a guy for one of the late seconds or thirds.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Also after watching some of the QMJHL finals Mathieu Cataford stood out as a skilled forward who seemed to have a bit of bite. Q players always seem to be on Madden’s radar, so he could be a guy for one of the late seconds or thirds.
He's probably a top 40-45 player and I've seen him mocked as a late 1st / early 2nd. He's definitely been a riser as the year has progressed.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah with how QMJHL produces less talent but Ducks have drafted quite alot good prospects from there over the years it does seem they have good scouting there.

Did Maddens dad retire as a scout for the Ducks ? His dad could be still scouting QMJHL casually since they live in Quebec.

GunnarStahl

Oct 13, 2020
He's probably a top 40-45 player and I've seen him mocked as a late 1st / early 2nd. He's definitely been a riser as the year has progressed.
Yeah he is ranked right in that awkward middle between the early 2nds and the late 2nd. Highest ranking is 36th by FC Hockey and his lowest is 61st from Elite Prospects.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Yeah he is ranked right in that awkward middle between the early 2nds and the late 2nd. Highest ranking is 36th by FC Hockey and his lowest is 61st from Elite Prospects.
These guys (who seem pretty good) have him mocked at 34:

I think I've seen one where he was 31 or 32 but can't find it right now.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Here's a guy that Verbeek might want to take a gamble on in the third round:

Bill Placzek's scouting report on the high schooler:

Big centre with a 200 foot game full of grit and gusto. A strong skater, puck distributor and rugged defensive player. His three zone hockey smarts always seems ahead of the action and ready for the next play with his anticipation, diverse skill sets, and ability to make plays without much time and space. He is equal able to be an offensive distributor as a finisher. Manages the puck masterfully and displays a heavy wrist shot. Will adjust his style of play to what style the team needs him to be- will do what it takes to win.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Here's some more Fantilli content, from March 22nd:

On NHL studios podcast "Draft Class" Adam Kimmelman and Mike G. Morreale had Michigan's coach Brandon Naurato talking about Fantilli and Brindley.

He points out how Fantilli in WJC was relegated (in relation to his role in Michigan) to a checking line role when he's used to leading scoring role. He raised the point of Fantilli's maturity when it comes to embracing those opportunities and still giving it his best although it's his time in the spotlight and that's the role you get.

I feel the same thing kind of applies to WC and the way Fantilli's role is completely different.

Brandon points out Fantilli's need to improve the shot and says he's just learning to score close to the net in addition to still working his their defense. He thinks Fantilli could play NHL next season but also that Michigan could still help him in those areas. Points out that Beniers, et al spent over a year in the AHL after leaving with just one year.

I don't think anyone would be overly disappointed if Fantilli spends 2 years in NCAA but I think he's more prepared than most. And with the ample opportunities he would have in Anaheim, it's a coin flip.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Here's some more Fantilli content, from March 22nd:

On NHL studios podcast "Draft Class" Adam Kimmelman and Mike G. Morreale had Michigan's coach Brandon Naurato talking about Fantilli and Brindley.

He points out how Fantilli in WJC was relegated (in relation to his role in Michigan) to a checking line role when he's used to leading scoring role. He raised the point of Fantilli's maturity when it comes to embracing those opportunities and still giving it his best although it's his time in the spotlight and that's the role you get.

I feel the same thing kind of applies to WC and the way Fantilli's role is completely different.

Brandon points out Fantilli's need to improve the shot and says he's just learning to score close to the net in addition to still working his their defense. He thinks Fantilli could play NHL next season but also that Michigan could still help him in those areas. Points out that Beniers, et al spent over a year in the AHL after leaving with just one year.

I don't think anyone would be overly disappointed if Fantilli spends 2 years in NCAA but I think he's more prepared than most. And with the ample opportunities he would have in Anaheim, it's a coin flip.
If he is not in the NHL he needs to be in the AHL. He has nothing to prove at the NCAA and way more he can learn about being a pro off the ice in the AHL.

Reactions: Deuce22

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If he is not in the NHL he needs to be in the AHL. He has nothing to prove at the NCAA and way more he can learn about being a pro off the ice in the AHL.

The Gulls will have the same assistant coaches, but a new head coach. Those same assistant coaches who helped the Gulls finish dead last in the AHL.

If Fantilli is to work on his weaknesses, then I'd prefer it in a better environment for his development. Going back to Michigan means same structure, mostly same teammates, and the competition level is the same. Here, he can work on his shot, learning to be patient, improve his puck possession against tougher defensemen, and understand when to change the pace.

Power, Beniers, Johnson, and L. Hughes all went back to Michigan for an extra season. 14th overall, 2022 draftee McGroarty is going back for another season. Michigan is a program that does well in developing their players for the NHL. Plus, the NCAA program will help his body be more prepared for the rigors of the physical play in the NHL that Fantilli wants to play.

Reactions: gunnergunther

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
The Gulls will have the same assistant coaches, but a new head coach. Those same assistant coaches who helped the Gulls finish dead last in the AHL.

If Fantilli is to work on his weaknesses, then I'd prefer it in a better environment for his development. Going back to Michigan means same structure, mostly same teammates, and the competition level is the same. Here, he can work on his shot, learning to be patient, improve his puck possession against tougher defensemen, and understand when to change the pace.

Power, Beniers, Johnson, and L. Hughes all went back to Michigan for an extra season. 14th overall, 2022 draftee McGroarty is going back for another season. Michigan is a program that does well in developing their players for the NHL. Plus, the NCAA program will help his body be more prepared for the rigors of the physical play in the NHL that Fantilli wants to play.
None of those guys won the Hobey Baker. They had more to prove. He doesn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad