Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
To me the physicality of Fantilli puts him over Carlsson. While I hesitate to be considered Dirk 2.0, the Ducks need physicality and Fantilli will provide it better than Carlsson.
And to finally have a top line forward who can skate so fast. Also another Cannon shot on the PP besides just McTavish.
Zegras and Terry score goals but they don't have a Cannon shot like McTavish and Fantilli that is a big asset on the PP which also opens up scoring for other players.

I see it as Eichel/Bergeron type prospect in Fantilli vs lesser version of Getzlaf/Kopitar.
Carlsson i doubt his shot becomes elite like Getzlaf and he lacks the physicality and aggressiveness of him as well.

If Getz shot alot more in his prime he probably has 45 goal seasons and if his prime was in this high scoring era he probably has a few 100 point seasons.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
And to finally have a top line forward who can skate so fast. Also another Cannon shot on the PP besides just McTavish.
Zegras and Terry score goals but they don't have a Cannon shot like McTavish and Fantilli that is a big asset on the PP which also opens up scoring for other players.

I see it as Eichel/Bergeron type prospect in Fantilli vs lesser version of Getzlaf/Kopitar.
Carlsson i doubt his shot becomes elite like Getzlaf and he lacks the physicality and aggressiveness of him as well.

If Getz shot alot more in his prime he probably has 45 goal seasons and if his prime was in this high scoring era he probably has a few 100 point seasons.
the vinni lettieri erasure

Reactions: Mr Quacksworth

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Fantilli and Carlsson are both very effective players in very different ways. This is how I would compare some of the traits I've seen between them:

Skating Speed - Fantilli > Carlsson
Skating Agility - Fantili > Carlsson (though I would admit this is much closer than the speed category)
Hands - Carlsson > Fantilli
Shot Power - Fantilli > Carlsson
Shot Accuracy - Fantilli = Carlsson
Passing/Vision - Carlsson > Fantilli
Physicality - Fantilli > Carlsson
Motor/Compete - Fantilli > Carlsson
Poise/Polish - Carlsson > Fantilli

I didn't add Hockey Sense/IQ because it's such a general term that can mean a few things. I also didn't add defense because I haven't really focused on that at all.

Overall, I think that Fantilli has more tools than Carlsson, but I can absolutely see an argument that Carlsson will be a more effective offensive player. I'm welcome to hearing different opinions on these categories.

I think the "Motor/Compete" rating is highly subjective in this rating. People think skating faster and hitting violently means more motor/compete. Carlsson is able to succeed in a different fashion outside of elite skating and violent hitting with higher skill and better team play. To be considered for a top-3 pick, you have a high motor/compete level to begin with. Is Carlsson lazier than Fantilli b/c Carlsson doesn't possess elite skating? No.

Reactions: Kalv

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think the "Motor/Compete" rating is highly subjective in this rating. People think skating faster and hitting violently means more motor/compete. Carlsson is able to succeed in a different fashion outside of elite skating and violent hitting with higher skill and better team play. To be considered for a top-3 pick, you have a high motor/compete level to begin with. Is Carlsson lazier than Fantilli b/c Carlsson doesn't possess elite skating? No.
Higher skill than Fantilli ? He doesn't exactly have a great shot for starters. It helps having massively better linemates and a coach smart enough to play him on the top line with more minutes. That will make a player look more skilled and having linemates pass him the puck to a wide open net.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Higher skill than Fantilli ? He doesn't exactly have a great shot for starters. It helps having massively better linemates and a coach smart enough to play him on the top line with more minutes. That will make a player look more skilled and having linemates pass him the puck to a wide open net.
Different skillset. Hard to compare, I start to tend towards Carlsson. You can be happy with both.

Reactions: Beckett

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Carlsson will be a great player but I think his play style feels a bit too much like McTavish (big body but not that physical, reads the game well but doesn’t have great speed) for us to pick him. If we didn’t have McT I would be much higher on him, but I think having Zegras, McTavish, and Fantilli gives us an insane amount of flexibility and will make it really difficult for teams to defend against all 3 of their different styles.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Zegras-Fantilli-Whoever
Whoever-McTavish-Terry

Is really just too good to pass up for me. It guarantees that our top 6 will be at worst average moving forward

I don’t know if Carlsson fits as well but he’s definitely going to CBJ at 3 now. I don’t buy the Will Smith to CBj thing any more

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I think the "Motor/Compete" rating is highly subjective in this rating. People think skating faster and hitting violently means more motor/compete. Carlsson is able to succeed in a different fashion outside of elite skating and violent hitting with higher skill and better team play. To be considered for a top-3 pick, you have a high motor/compete level to begin with. Is Carlsson lazier than Fantilli b/c Carlsson doesn't possess elite
serious question, how tall are you?

Carlsson will be a great player but I think his play style feels a bit too much like McTavish (big body but not that physical, reads the game well but doesn’t have great speed) for us to pick him. If we didn’t have McT I would be much higher on him, but I think having Zegras, McTavish, and Fantilli gives us an insane amount of flexibility and will make it really difficult for teams to defend against all 3 of their different styles.
The chances we don’t pick fantilli are less than 3% imho. And those 3% would
Have to do with some breaking news about a scandal he’s involved in. Or was involved in. Apart from something crazy like that. It’s a sure thing.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I actually said we already had Carlsson's player type in McTavish, which makes grabbing Fantilli the more likely pick as Fantilli adds a different dimension.

The chances we don’t pick fantilli are less than 3% imho. And those 3% would
Have to do with some breaking news about a scandal he’s involved in. Or was involved in. Apart from something crazy like that. It’s a sure thing.

I'll state this again, Verbeek will be picking Fantilli and I've said this all along. I prefer Carlsson's skill and team play, but Fantilli is the pick.

I don't comprehend why the possibility of Carlsson is marred with something catastrophic as opposed to Carlsson having skills or talents that might intrigue Verbeek to come across the pond to view in person. Oh damn... Verbeek did just that because who to pick at #2 wasn't a sure thing to Verbeek.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Zegras-Fantilli-Whoever
Whoever-McTavish-Terry

Is really just too good to pass up for me. It guarantees that our top 6 will be at worst average moving forward

I don’t know if Carlsson fits as well but he’s definitely going to CBJ at 3 now. I don’t buy the Will Smith to CBj thing any more

Grab Domi and slot him in and voila.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I actually said we already had Carlsson's player type in McTavish, which makes grabbing Fantilli the more likely pick as Fantilli adds a different dimension.

I'll state this again, Verbeek will be picking Fantilli and I've said this all along. I prefer Carlsson's skill and team play, but Fantilli is the pick.

I don't comprehend why the possibility of Carlsson is marred with something catastrophic as opposed to Carlsson having skills or talents that might intrigue Verbeek to come across the pond to view in person. Oh damn... Verbeek did just that because who to pick at #2 wasn't a sure thing to Verbeek.
🫡

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
The way some people are talking about Fantili you'd think he was a over hyped mid first rounder or something and not the Hoby baker winning Freshmen.
People love to split hairs, even as Kendrick Perkins says they're not going to be able to split hairs... ever.

I'm guessing the Ducks pick Fantilli. But whoever they pick, as long as it is not an obviously bad pick, that prospect will make the team better. If they are unable to make a good pick at 2, not necessarily the best one, there is absolutely no hope for the rest the draft or the Ducks going forward.

I have 3 concerns. The first is that we are able to sign our selection; that he actually wants to play for the Ducks. In today's NHL I think we will see more and more players not really commit to the team that drafts them and will look for a way to get out. This kills a franchise when the player is a top 5 prospect.

Next, I want the selection to have a work ethic and compete level so that weaknesses, other than physical attributes, improve over time.

Finally, smart enough to play at a high level and possibly one day be the leader in the locker room.

John

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008

I keep hearing this and don't agree. While I don't think either player is a good Comp to Mctavish, I actually think Carlsson is a better complement and Fantilli would be more redundant to McTavish. I think McTavish and fantilli are better finishers and Carlsson is the significantly better facilitator/playmakers.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I would only be ok with the Ducks passing on Fantilli if they really think he is the 3rd best player and the CBJs offered something like swapping our 33rd for their 22nd, if not outright for the 22nd pick.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I would only be ok with the Ducks passing on Fantilli if they really think he is the 3rd best player and the CBJs offered something like swapping our 33rd for their 22nd, if not outright for the 22nd pick.
What if the BJ's also think Carlsson is the 2nd best player?

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I keep hearing this and don't agree. While I don't think either player is a good Comp to Mctavish, I actually think Carlsson is a better complement and Fantilli would be more redundant to McTavish. I think McTavish and fantilli are better finishers and Carlsson is the significantly better facilitator/playmakers.
In my opinion, Fantilli has the foot speed that McTavish lacks and physicality that both Zegras and McTavish lack.

OTOH, Carlsson's main strength is playmaking, a skill which I think Zegras has in spades and which McTavish is also decent at, even if he isn't as good at it as Leo is.

I won't be upset if we pick Carlsson, but I would be surprised.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
This is the result of poisoning your brain with draft rankings. If they feel he’s the third best player, they should just draft the second best, regardless of what anyone offers. It would also make it very likely that Columbus would see them as pretty equal and decline.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
What if the BJ's also think Carlsson is the 2nd best player?
That is tough... Carlsson definitely looks more creative and poised with the puck... but I'd say stick with Fanta even if it is concerning that he looks like a high effort less skilled player at the WC. I think his floor might be at least a faster Andrew Ladd, or Ryan Kesler with more playmaking... but I really hope his work ethic and compete drives him to reach that McKinnon/Tkachuk/Eichel range that we desperately need.

One interesting player to compare Fanta with is Coyote's steal of a pick (7th round!) Sam Lipkin. Production wise they were very close while at Chicago Steel, and in their 1st year both are over a PPG. This sort of makes me lower's Fanta's production value a bit even though it was crazy rare and impressive.

Hopefully both players end up being stars and this will just be about playing style.

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
In my opinion, Fantilli has the foot speed that McTavish lacks and physicality that both Zegras and McTavish lack.

OTOH, Carlsson's main strength is playmaking, a skill which I think Zegras has in spades and which McTavish is also decent at, even if he isn't as good at it as Leo is.

I won't be upset if we pick Carlsson, but I would be surprised.
Carlsson's ability to be in position to score goals has impressed me. I don't know how to describe it but he just seems to know where to be. Oh to be a fly on the wall of the Ducks draft meetings.

Reactions: Yemeth

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i'm still leaning fantilli but i really wouldn't be mad at all if they took carlsson. i think PV made up his mind on fantilli the second he found out the ducks would be drafting 2nd though

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I've actually been more impressed with Fantilli at the WC than Carlsson, but that's just me. I'd be OK if Carlsson was the pick because I know that the scouting staff will have done their homework on both players, but Fantilli seems like the player with the higher ceilling to my eyes and a better fit for the Ducks and the NHL. He also had a historic year in the NCAA as a freshman which is about as impressive as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad