Prospect Info: 2023 NHL Draft - Part 2 (Who Do You Want To Draft At #2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who Do You Want To Draft At #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don’t agree with the obsession of wanting guys in the AHL. There’s a lot of unstructured, goon hockey that goes on down there that I’d rather avoid with a player like this

This is a can’t miss, slam dunk top prospect that will be in Calder conversation. Saying he shouldn’t be in the NHL is pretty ludicrous to me but time will tell

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I don’t agree with the obsession of wanting guys in the AHL. There’s a lot of unstructured, goon hockey that goes on down there that I’d rather avoid with a player like this

This is a can’t miss, slam dunk top prospect that will be in Calder conversation. Saying he shouldn’t be in the NHL is pretty ludicrous to me but time will tell
Can't agree enough. it's something that is overlooked way too often in general

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Can't agree enough. it's something that is overlooked way too often in general
There just isn’t a huge deal of precedence for successful top 5 picks playing a ton of AHL hockey either. I’m not saying that automatically makes it a bad development choice but it’s worth noting that guys like Byfield and Turcotte are two of the top 5 picks in the past 5 seasons that have played some of the most AHL games out of anyone

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
There just isn’t a huge deal of precedence for successful top 5 picks playing a ton of AHL hockey either. I’m not saying that automatically makes it a bad development choice but it’s worth noting that guys like Byfield and Turcotte are two of the top 5 picks in the past 5 seasons that have played some of the most AHL games out of anyone
I think it is probably a better place for young Dmen than forwards because it at least provides a slower-paced, lower pressure environment to focus on defensive play if they need to develop more there. I'm much less of a proponent of the AHL option for high-end F prospects. If the kid is truly a top 2 or 3 talent, there's certainly a chance he's too good for the AHL. NHL - or back college if they aren't quite ready yet - is probably the better option.

Turcotte and Byfield certainly don't do the AHL any favours but i'm starting to wonder if those guys will ever be able to score anywhere.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I'm beginning to think the Kings didn't ruin them as much as they were just very unfortunate picks. In their draft years, I liked both of them. But maybe they just don't have enough of what it takes to be NHL stars. Turcotte, maybe less.

On topic, I've noticed on the Kings board multiple posters have mentioned that they don't love the idea of playing Fantilli as a Duck. That makes me want him even more!

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
None of those guys won the Hobey Baker. They had more to prove. He doesn’t.

None of those guys had more to prove as they went drafted #1 Power, #2 Beniers, #4 Hughes, and #5 Johnson, but they sure do look great once in the NHL and never did get demoted to the AHL. Yet, you want him in the AHL if he can't be in the NHL. If?

Does that Hobey Baker make Fantilli score more in the WC's? Fantilli's scored the same amount as Beniers has at his WC in the same amount of games. Does that Hobey Baker guarantee something?

Fantilli has flaws in his game. He can do it in an environment to where he can just focus on skill development as well as physical development. He can try to do it at the NHL level pace, heaviness, with less defensive support, and double the games he's played at the NCAA level in a whole new system. He can do it at an AHL level with a new head coach, but same assistant coach who helped the team finish dead last in the AHL. Verbeek stated that most rookie will take around December to adjust. If Fantilli is taking that long to adjust, then when is he supposed to focus on working on his weaknesses?

I'd be advocating for Carlsson to return to the SHL for one more season b/c he too has weaknesses to work out. Returning to the SHL means he's working in the same environment for the past two seasons and can really hone in on improving upon his weaknesses.

Because I've bought into the reset rebuild, I'm not in a rush. I'd like the most refined prospect we can get before bringing them over to the pro side. Michigan's development program is great. Carlsson's improved between year 1 and year 2 in the SHL and might be playing center next year. (The WC proved he can do it.) Also, RW Lekkerimaki joined the team, which could mean a potential Carlsson-Lekkerimaki pair.

ayrton2388

May 23, 2014
Anyone else kinda underwhelmed, a tiny bit, by Fantilli and Carlsson during this tournament?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
None of those guys won the Hobey Baker. They had more to prove. He doesn’t.

Since he is at least on Eichel level, with even higher potential. Think he will go the Eichel path. No reason for him to go back to college or even the AHL.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Anyone else kinda underwhelmed, a tiny bit, by Fantilli and Carlsson during this tournament?
As I wrote in the WC thread, Slafkovsky was above PPG player at 18 in the Worlds. Ovechkin had 2 points in 8 games at the same age. Slaf had a shitty season in the club, and Ovi had a really good one. Their NHL careers are not the same.

Worlds production is not the most representative. Especially for Fantilli who is put on the 4th line despite being clearly way better than his linemates that are not using the grade-A opportunities he's creating for them. I expected more production as well, but with Fantilli, he's had a hell of a tournament anyway. He's fighting not only the opposition but his coach, lol. I don't think it's that debatable, he clearly belongs in their top6 but is not given much of an opportunity.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

2. Anaheim Ducks (Pick by Corey Pronman): Adam Fantilli, C, University of Michigan

This is not a sure thing, and the World Championships may reshape this debate as that tournament continues to progress because Leo Carlsson is a very serious consideration, but as of today, I think Fantilli is the guy at No. 2.

As expected.

33. Anaheim Ducks (Pick by Wheeler): Ethan Gauthier, RW, Sherbrooke

The Ducks have had a lot of success drafting out of the QMJHL and they go back to the well for Gauthier, a competitive and skilled winger who fits their identity.

Solid but I really like Danny Nelson at this pick. Big body forward and one of the youngest guys projected in the first 2 rounds. Strbak also was available here and I would have rather had him also.

59. Anaheim Ducks (Pick by Wheeler): Nick Lardis, LW, Hamilton

Lardis’ stock surged in the second half after an offensive explosion following a trade from Peterborough to Hamilton. The Ducks add one of the better skaters in the draft, and a player with a great finishing touch.

Seems like a prototypical late riser that the Ducks love.

60. Anaheim Ducks (Pick by Pronman): Carson Bjarnason, G, Brandon

The Ducks need a goalie of the future
, and Bjarnasson is in the mix to be among the very first goalies picked in the draft due to his frame and great athleticism.

I guess Dostal and Clang being 22 and 21 means they are too old to be part of the future...

I would be annoyed if they took a goalie with the 2nd rounder. The Ducks really could go another year without drafting a goalie. They have 3 legit prospects age 20-22.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

As expected.

Solid but I really like Danny Nelson at this pick. Big body forward and one of the youngest guys projected in the first 2 rounds. Strbak also was available here and I would have rather had him also.

I guess Dostal and Clang being 22 and 21 means they are too old to be part of the future...

I would be annoyed if they took a goalie with the 2nd rounder. The Ducks really could go another year without drafting a goalie. They have 3 legit prospects age 20-22.

I like first 3 picks….

The goalie pick is meh, I think we have a solid goalie pool would rather use it on another prospect or trade to move up

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
None of those guys had more to prove as they went drafted #1 Power, #2 Beniers, #4 Hughes, and #5 Johnson, but they sure do look great once in the NHL and never did get demoted to the AHL. Yet, you want him in the AHL if he can't be in the NHL. If?

Does that Hobey Baker make Fantilli score more in the WC's? Fantilli's scored the same amount as Beniers has at his WC in the same amount of games. Does that Hobey Baker guarantee something?

Fantilli has flaws in his game. He can do it in an environment to where he can just focus on skill development as well as physical development. He can try to do it at the NHL level pace, heaviness, with less defensive support, and double the games he's played at the NCAA level in a whole new system. He can do it at an AHL level with a new head coach, but same assistant coach who helped the team finish dead last in the AHL. Verbeek stated that most rookie will take around December to adjust. If Fantilli is taking that long to adjust, then when is he supposed to focus on working on his weaknesses?

I'd be advocating for Carlsson to return to the SHL for one more season b/c he too has weaknesses to work out. Returning to the SHL means he's working in the same environment for the past two seasons and can really hone in on improving upon his weaknesses.

Because I've bought into the reset rebuild, I'm not in a rush. I'd like the most refined prospect we can get before bringing them over to the pro side. Michigan's development program is great. Carlsson's improved between year 1 and year 2 in the SHL and might be playing center next year. (The WC proved he can do it.) Also, RW Lekkerimaki joined the team, which could mean a potential Carlsson-Lekkerimaki pair.
Athletes generally improve when they play against better competition, forcing them to adjust to the higher level of play. Fantilli going back to Michigan is like the top college basketball recruit going back to play another year in high school.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Also after watching some of the QMJHL finals Mathieu Cataford stood out as a skilled forward who seemed to have a bit of bite. Q players always seem to be on Madden’s radar, so he could be a guy for one of the late seconds or thirds.

Cataford stepped up big when l'Heureux got injured from that hit from Gaucher and slotted well into the top line. Motor, decent size, and can wire the puck. I have a couple reservations about his hockey iq but he could be a player. I expect him to have a big year next year with all of the Moose's graduations.

Reactions: GunnarStahl

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Athletes generally improve when they play against better competition, forcing them to adjust to the higher level of play. Fantilli going back to Michigan is like the top college basketball recruit going back to play another year in high school.

Stating a high school senior basketball player returning to high school example is exactly the same as an NCAA hockey freshman returning to college is pathetically misguided. In the words of Sir Charles, "That's a turrible example!"

But what you are saying is that the Michigan program sucks ass at development and there's no proof a high-end player will benefit staying another year at Michigan. And that the Ducks provide a far better and stable environment for development.

• Point 1. It's nice that you overlooked the 2021 draft class who are or going to be Michigan players who stayed for two seasons like #1 overall D Power, #2 overall C Beniers, #4 overall D Hughes, and #5 overall Johnson. Power, Beniers, and Johnson were never sent down to the AHL this season. Hughes finished his sophomore season this year, scored 2 points in 2 NHL regular season games, and scored 2 points in 3 NHL playoff games. We can also add 2022, #14 overall in McGroarty, returning to Michigan for next season. Yeah... that Michigan program sucks ass and will not show any improvement by returning for another season.

• Point 2. Our NHL roster is a clusterf*** and we're going to have growing pains with probably all new coaches. We finished dead last in the league last year. This is a prime environment for development.

• Point 3. Our AHL assistant coaching staff remained the same from last year, where the Gulls did finish dead last by a wide margin. With a new head coach, we could also have growing pains. The quirkiest thing is that prospect D Helleson said that there was more structure with the Ducks than with the Gulls.

Fantilli's elite skating and compete level are at NHL levels already. Adam needs to have better shot accuracy, learn to change pace, and learn how to play a team game. By jumping to the NHL, Fantilli will add to improving those weaknesses with adjusting to NHL play, new coaches, new scheme, new players to find chemistry, players more physical than him, and being able to play at full tilt for 82 games. Can his body last all 82 games with the physical play against NHL competition? Going back to an NCAA program, Fantilli will be building his body all NCAA season since they usually play on weekends. That will be a huge plus for Fantilli's physical game.

We're a rebuild team with new coaches at the NHL and AHL levels going into this season where both the Ducks and Gulls finished dead last. Michigan is a great program that have produced great results at the NHL level with their first rounders returning for their sophomore season. I have more faith in an established program than rely on the uncertainty of the new programs. Plus, Getzlaf noted in a podcast that superstars will still take several years of development. IMO, staying at Michigan an extra season will help us get that superstar player sooner. I'd say the same thing about Carlsson and that he should go back to the SHL for one more season because I trust that established program over our currently unknown program and incomplete NHL roster.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
My example wasn't about the age or grade the athlete was in, it was about returning to a level you have already dominated. Fantilli was the best player in college hockey, why go back and play against people you have already surpassed? I said nothing about Michigan's program, I'm sure it's fine. But if I was Verbeek, I would want to be in control of my player's development, not having a college coach (who cares nothing about the Ducks) making decisions on what to do with Fantilli.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Fantilli and Carlsson are both very effective players in very different ways. This is how I would compare some of the traits I've seen between them:

Skating Speed - Fantilli > Carlsson
Skating Agility - Fantili > Carlsson (though I would admit this is much closer than the speed category)
Hands - Carlsson > Fantilli
Shot Power - Fantilli > Carlsson
Shot Accuracy - Fantilli = Carlsson
Passing/Vision - Carlsson > Fantilli
Physicality - Fantilli > Carlsson
Motor/Compete - Fantilli > Carlsson
Poise/Polish - Carlsson > Fantilli

I didn't add Hockey Sense/IQ because it's such a general term that can mean a few things. I also didn't add defense because I haven't really focused on that at all.

Overall, I think that Fantilli has more tools than Carlsson, but I can absolutely see an argument that Carlsson will be a more effective offensive player. I'm welcome to hearing different opinions on these categories.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Fantilli and Carlsson are both very effective players in very different ways. This is how I would compare some of the traits I've seen between them:

Skating Agility - Fantili > Carlsson (though I would admit this is much closer than the speed category)

I didn't add Hockey Sense/IQ because it's such a general term that can mean a few things. I also didn't add defense because I haven't really focused on that at all.

Overall, I think that Fantilli has more tools than Carlsson, but I can absolutely see an argument that Carlsson will be a more effective offensive player. I'm welcome to hearing different opinions on these categories.
I pretty much agree with all of those. it should be a difficult decision for them, but in the end i think they'll go Fantilli. If I were in charge, honestly I might just pick a name out of a hat. it's really that close

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

I've come to the conclusion that I'll be happy with either one and sad that we can't have both.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
To me the physicality of Fantilli puts him over Carlsson. While I hesitate to be considered Dirk 2.0, the Ducks need physicality and Fantilli will provide it better than Carlsson.
Agreed. The two are close enough to me that taking some need into account is the deciding factor in my opinion.

Reactions: Kalv

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

As expected.

There will be no Lardis at 59, I think he will hardly be available at 33. I'd take him there.

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
To me the physicality of Fantilli puts him over Carlsson. While I hesitate to be considered Dirk 2.0, the Ducks need physicality and Fantilli will provide it better than Carlsson.
And the speed... NHL is shifting (shifted?) more to a high speed league. Having a guy that's fast and physical will be huge come playoffs. He could be the type of player that teams have to plan around just because of those two attributes while not having to worry about playing him based on what type of team we're playing against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad