Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Lol at your untouchable list.
Seider is the only thing close to untouchable on Detroit. But the chance to get the best RWer in hockey, he isn’t really untouchable.
He looks like the real deal, but so did Provorov, and i think Provorov looked better his first few seasons as a top line shutdown defender (Seider showed more offence though), but, he never became what was expected, or more accurately ‘hoped’ for.
As i already mentioned, Red Wings cannot afford to trade those players in order to keep the rebuild moving on.

Larkin - proven 1st line center. 9 1st line centers scored more points than Larkin this year. Larkin outscored Barkov, Hintz, Aho and Eichel, all the centers from top-4 teams this year. 70-80 point 2-way center at the age of 26, no GM in the league would trade him away.

Kasper - Only potential top-6 center prospect, his ceiling is 70-80 point guy but most likely ends up reliable 50-60 point 2nd line center. With the lack of center prospects, Kasper becomes untouchable.

Raymond - 1st line winger and still more room to improve, still under ELC and after that cheap bridge deal. Extremely cost effective.

Rasmussen - top-6 grinder, exactly what Leafs would need. Ras has finally figured out how to use his size and strenght properly, with some good luck Wings could have the next Tage Thompson in their hands. Red Wings brass and coaching has mentioned often how Red Wings needs to become bigger and tougher to play against, Ras fits in that mold what they want. It would be stupid to trade him, especially when they are going to re-sign him with very cost effective bridge deal. Rasmussen's leadership qualities has been praised and immediately after Ras was injured, Red Wings fell from wagon. Ras can also play as a center, which makes him even more valuable.

Mazur - another potential top-6 grinder. High scoring player in the USHL, NCAA, U20 Worlds, AHL, teams chance, linemates change, level's change but Mazur keeps scoring. Board battle monster, Mazur wins 90% of the board battles. Very good change that Mazur makes his NHL breakthrough while under ELC and after that comes cheap bridge deals, again very cost effective. Now Mazur is untouchable, 4-5 years from things might be different.

Söderblom - Massive, mobile and skilled, real unicorn player. Very rare compination, Söderblom can be anything from a 1st winger to a 4th line winger. Made his debut already, wasn't quite ready but he ain't far. It would be incredible stupid to trade Söderblom until we see what we really got.

Lombardi - excellent rookie camp and excellent OHL season. Lombardi could be something or he could be nothing, very intriguing prospect. Again no point trade yet, potentially could provide tons of secondary scoring. Cheaply.

Seider - 1st D in the NHL at the age 20. Ceiling: Chris Pronger, conservative estimate: Victor Hedman. Not a single GM in the world is going to trade away a #1 defenseman, unless there's similar defenseman coming in.

Edvinsson - Massive, mobile, physical, skilled, future top-3 defenseman in the NHL. Ceiling: Victor Hedman, conservative estimate: Jay Bouwmeester. Under ELC which is followed by cheap bridge deals, very cost effective again.

Wallinder - Big and extremely mobile. Wallinder has all the tools to become top-3 D in the NHL, unlikely to score much but defensively excellent. Slow learner but keeps improving game after game.

Walman - He is very loosely untouchable, i only put him to the list because Yzerman really likes him. Yzerman has said that he considered drafting Walman and then later trading for him already in Tampa. Now he did trade for him, Walman has great chemistry with Seider. At the moment Walman is untoucable but could change soon.

Cossa - Yzerman traded up to get Cossa, what's the point to trade him since assets were spent to get him in the first place?
----------------------------
Provonov has never been the talent what Seider is. Couple good season's behind prime Giroux. Marner for Seider trade only improves the Leafs, doesn't make any sense for the Wings. 1st winger isn't even the biggest need for the Wings, Yzerman sure as hell wouldn't trade 1D for a winger.

Reactions: Ulysses31

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
So we are talking about Mitch Marner getting Matthews 5-7 extra goals? 11million dollars for that, maybe? I don't know this Marner hockey god narrative is falling apart pretty hard after that FL series. It seems like you guys just blame everyone but Mitch. You sound like Mitch sounds in interviews, and Dubas. They both blame external factors and never own up
And yet Marner isn't worthy of touching Sundins jock strap
Problem is the leafs might have to move on from the core if they are all loyal to dubas .lf It comes to running it all back to keep players and dubas its very dysfunctional .the main betting line has if shanahan stays he offers dubas an extension under the understanding he restructures his core and get s friendly hometown discounts from the very players he laid ihis future on . Leafs need a hard nosed gm that can maximize assets because the leafs have very glaring holes on defense and goal .

I

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
I agree or am indifferent with most of this, but adding Gudas would be a mistake. Just because he got away with a hold/interference on the series winner doesn't make him a good player. He put himself in poor positions multiple times by trying to go for a big hit, just because our forwards did a poor job of capitalizing doesnt change that... He was also extremely lucky to not be more penalized.

I agree on coaching, Keefe is a good coach, but hasn't been able to put a system in place to support our players in the playoffs. Not sure who to replace him with though, but if we can find somebody to come in and make us 10% more consistent it'll make a big difference.

Nobody better than Dubas, keep him. He's been good and is a rare GM that has shown the ability to grow.

As for our players, a healthy Muzzin would've been huge but unfortunately he appears to be done... wish him the best for his health. Robertson won't return much in a trade but still has a legit chance to be a top 6.... don't trade.
Say what??? Keefe is a good coach? Either you know very little about hockey, are related to him.or, you jest... he should have NEVER been hired....or at least jettisoned 2 years ago. He's BRUTAL....

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
As i already mentioned, Red Wings cannot afford to trade those players in order to keep the rebuild moving on.

Larkin - proven 1st line center. 9 1st line centers scored more points than Larkin this year. Larkin outscored Barkov, Hintz, Aho and Eichel, all the centers from top-4 teams this year. 70-80 point 2-way center at the age of 26, no GM in the league would trade him away.

Kasper - Only potential top-6 center prospect, his ceiling is 70-80 point guy but most likely ends up reliable 50-60 point 2nd line center. With the lack of center prospects, Kasper becomes untouchable.

Raymond - 1st line winger and still more room to improve, still under ELC and after that cheap bridge deal. Extremely cost effective.

Rasmussen - top-6 grinder, exactly what Leafs would need. Ras has finally figured out how to use his size and strenght properly, with some good luck Wings could have the next Tage Thompson in their hands. Red Wings brass and coaching has mentioned often how Red Wings needs to become bigger and tougher to play against, Ras fits in that mold what they want. It would be stupid to trade him, especially when they are going to re-sign him with very cost effective bridge deal. Rasmussen's leadership qualities has been praised and immediately after Ras was injured, Red Wings fell from wagon. Ras can also play as a center, which makes him even more valuable.

Mazur - another potential top-6 grinder. High scoring player in the USHL, NCAA, U20 Worlds, AHL, teams chance, linemates change, level's change but Mazur keeps scoring. Board battle monster, Mazur wins 90% of the board battles. Very good change that Mazur makes his NHL breakthrough while under ELC and after that comes cheap bridge deals, again very cost effective. Now Mazur is untouchable, 4-5 years from things might be different.

Söderblom - Massive, mobile and skilled, real unicorn player. Very rare compination, Söderblom can be anything from a 1st winger to a 4th line winger. Made his debut already, wasn't quite ready but he ain't far. It would be incredible stupid to trade Söderblom until we see what we really got.

Lombardi - excellent rookie camp and excellent OHL season. Lombardi could be something or he could be nothing, very intriguing prospect. Again no point trade yet, potentially could provide tons of secondary scoring. Cheaply.

Seider - 1st D in the NHL at the age 20. Ceiling: Chris Pronger, conservative estimate: Victor Hedman. Not a single GM in the world is going to trade away a #1 defenseman, unless there's similar defenseman coming in.

Edvinsson - Massive, mobile, physical, skilled, future top-3 defenseman in the NHL. Ceiling: Victor Hedman, conservative estimate: Jay Bouwmeester. Under ELC which is followed by cheap bridge deals, very cost effective again.

Wallinder - Big and extremely mobile. Wallinder has all the tools to become top-3 D in the NHL, unlikely to score much but defensively excellent. Slow learner but keeps improving game after game.

Walman - He is very loosely untouchable, i only put him to the list because Yzerman really likes him. Yzerman has said that he considered drafting Walman and then later trading for him already in Tampa. Now he did trade for him, Walman has great chemistry with Seider. At the moment Walman is untoucable but could change soon.

Cossa - Yzerman traded up to get Cossa, what's the point to trade him since assets were spent to get him in the first place?
Provonov has never been the talent what Seider is. Couple good season's behind prime Giroux. Marner for Seider trade only improves the Leafs, doesn't make any sense for the Wings. 1st winger isn't even the biggest need for the Wings, Yzerman sure as hell wouldn't trade 1D for a winger.
Have I stumbled upon the Red Wings forum?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You are just spinning my words to it all counts from WHEN it counts.
No, I'm not. I am telling you that it all counts, when you keep trying to pretend that only very specific times (that you haven't actually identified or supported Nylander doing better in) counts. What counts and what doesn't count, according to you?
As for saying Nylander gets praise and not the others not true at all there. There was plenty of that both for Matthews and Marner when they stepped up, Matthews in round 1, and Marner in his games as well.
But Nylander's praise lives on, and seems to be the only thing remembered, whereas Matthews' and Marner's praise seemed to drop off a cliff, and be completely forgotten.
Case in point, you trying to pretend that Nylander was more important this playoffs, despite him performing worse overall, producing worse overall, being worse defensively, and not doing any better in critical moments, while getting easier matchups and deployment. Because he scored a tying goal in a game we lost, I guess?
The problem is Crosby & Malkin would produce at critical times and roles, but our big boys have not hence I am all for surrounding them with a player or players that allows them to do that IF they aren't doing it themselves and that is fine.
Well, first off, no, Crosby and Malkin did not step up and produce at critical times all the time. There are many times that they were shut down, or had some bad puck luck, and it was up to the supporting players to pick up that goal. Heck, in their 2016 run, Kessel scored more goals and points than both Crosby and Malkin. In 2009 when they won their first cup, Crosby had 0 points and was -3 through the final 3 games against Detroit. The very next year, they lost in 7 to a hot goalie in Montreal, and Crosby went pointless and -2 in the deciding game. Sound familiar? These are just a couple out of dozens of examples we could look at. But that doesn't make Kessel or any of the other people that stepped up in some particular game more untouchable or important than Crosby and Malkin.

Secondly, our big boys have stepped up and produced at critical times. The issue you seem to have is that they have not done it every time, but look around the league and league history, and that's just not realistic. Nobody does it every time, and you seem to be focusing way more on the times they don't for our big boys, and way more on the times they do for Nylander and everybody else.

Third, of course I am all for surrounding them with a player or players that can also elevate in some of those moments, so more of those moments are covered by somebody. And Nylander is a very good player that can fill that role. But that doesn't mean sacrificing the ones who do way more, while considering the surrounding player untouchable.
Eichel you are talking about has been great do you know what he was in his critical game 7? 1 assist. He wasn't producing he was hustling and that's absolutely fine but he was with able to calm it down with Natural Hattrick for Marchessault, Barbashev 2 assists, Reilly Smith 1 goal 1 assist.
Vegas didn't have a game 7. I assume you're talking about game 6, and while yes, March, Barbashev, and Smith had good games in that particular game, Vegas still values Eichel much more for good reason, because on top of picking up an assist in that game, he's been better than them throughout, and in critical games and moments where those players didn't show up. I'm not sure why you're focusing exclusively on that game and nothing else.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
No, I'm not. I am telling you that it all counts, when you keep trying to pretend that only very specific times (that you haven't actually identified or supported Nylander doing better in) counts. What counts and what doesn't count, according to you?

But Nylander's praise lives on, and seems to be the only thing remembered, whereas Matthews' and Marner's praise seemed to drop off a cliff, and be completely forgotten.
Case in point, you trying to pretend that Nylander was more important this playoffs, despite him performing worse overall, producing worse overall, being worse defensively, and not doing any better in critical moments, while getting easier matchups and deployment. Because he scored a tying goal in a game we lost, I guess?

Well, first off, no, Crosby and Malkin did not step up and produce at critical times all the time. There are many times that they were shut down, or had some bad puck luck, and it was up to the supporting players to pick up that goal. Heck, in their 2016 run, Kessel scored more goals and points than both Crosby and Malkin. In 2009 when they won their first cup, Crosby had 0 points and was -3 through the final 3 games against Detroit. The very next year, they lost in 7 to a hot goalie in Montreal, and Crosby went pointless and -2 in the deciding game. Sound familiar? These are just a couple out of dozens of examples we could look at. But that doesn't make Kessel or any of the other people that stepped up in some particular game more untouchable or important than Crosby and Malkin.

Secondly, our big boys have stepped up and produced at critical times. The issue you seem to have is that they have not done it every time, but look around the league and league history, and that's just not realistic. Nobody does it every time, and you seem to be focusing way more on the times they don't for our big boys, and way more on the times they do for Nylander and everybody else.

Third, of course I am all for surrounding them with a player or players that can also elevate in some of those moments, so more of those moments are covered by somebody. And Nylander is a very good player that can fill that role. But that doesn't mean sacrificing the ones who do way more, while considering the surrounding player untouchable.

Vegas didn't have a game 7. I assume you're talking about game 6, and while yes, March, Barbashev, and Smith had good games in that particular game, Vegas still values Eichel much more for good reason, because on top of picking up an assist in that game, he's been better than them throughout, and in critical games and moments where those players didn't show up. I'm not sure why you're focusing exclusively on that game and nothing else.
Dekes, you seem like the type of guy who is a Rachel Doerrie fan, so here you go.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Dekes, you seem like the type of guy who is a Rachel Doerrie fan, so here you go.
I don't know or care who Rachel Doerrie is, but that article is certainly quite silly.
Basically saying Nylander is the bestest because he has swagger and the Leafs have past iconic Swedish players.
She posts playoff stats for Nylander using the one timeframe that flatters him, and ignores that Matthews and Marner are better playoff producers.
She implies that Nylander is picking up all these PP points on secondary units, when Nylander was only on the ice for 1 PP goal without the rest of the core 4.
She talks about these arbitrary cherry picked positive moments for Nylander, but ignores the same for the rest of the core 4, and only mentions negatives for others.
Not exactly a fair, comprehensive evaluation.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada

Hahahahahaha Seider is great, but he will be very fortunate to go down better than Hedman when his career is over. I do agree he is untouchable though.

We're talking about Mitch Marner. Most of those players won't be able to lace Marner's skates in a best case scenario situation.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

You’re going to be a sad fan in a few years.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don't know or care who Rachel Doerrie is, but that article is certainly quite silly.
Basically saying Nylander is the bestest because he has swagger and the Leafs have past iconic Swedish players.
She posts playoff stats for Nylander using the one timeframe that flatters him, and ignores that Matthews and Marner are better playoff producers.
She implies that Nylander is picking up all these PP points on secondary units, when Nylander was only on the ice for 1 PP goal without the rest of the core 4.
She talks about these arbitrary cherry picked positive moments for Nylander, but ignores the same for the rest of the core 4, and only mentions negatives for others.
Not exactly a fair, comprehensive evaluation.
I find that hard to believe, as you base everything on analytics and Doerrie is one of the most well-known people in hockey within analytics currently. She worked for the Canucks for a number of years in analytics and is a data consultant as well.

If even an analytics darling like her is factoring in the human intangibles then maybe someone like you should re-evaluate how you assess these players and their respective playoff performances.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
We're talking about Mitch Marner. Most of those players won't be able to lace Marner's skates in a best case scenario situation.
Red Wings can't trade for Marner, without making making massive holes somewhere else and that way adding more years to the rebuild. Marner for two 1st round picks and Berggren/Buchelnikov/Johansson/Buium package is best what can offer without destroying cap structure.
You’re going to be a sad fan in a few years.
I've seen my team in the Stanley cup finals 6 times and winning the cup 4 times. I have no reason to be sad.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Red Wings can't trade for Marner, without making making massive holes somewhere else and that way adding more years to the rebuild. Marner for two 1st round picks and Berggren/Buchelnikov/Johansson/Buium package is best what can offer without destroying cap structure.

I've seen my team in the Stanley cup finals 6 times and winning the cup 4 times. I have no reason to be sad.
With all due respect mate, please f*** off back to the Wings board. We don't care how much Seider is worth to you or whatever other touchable 'untouchable' prospects you have, or about whatever success you've witnessed as a fan.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I find that hard to believe, as you base everything on analytics and Doerrie is one of the most well-known people in hockey within analytics currently. She worked for the Canucks for a number of years in analytics and is a data consultant as well.
Just because I see the value in analytics, like literally everybody in the world should, it doesn't mean that that's the only consideration, or that I know or care about everybody else in the world who supposedly also values analytics. Looks like she works for The Hockey News, which I have no reason to care about or read. Just another hockey media site looking for narratives over facts.

If she does base things heavily in analytics, then she did a horrible job on this article, because analytics don't really come into play, and it's more cherry picking one player's positive moments, contextless surface level stats (half of which are either wrong or misleading), and ridiculous things like "swagger" for a fluff piece on Nylander and incorrect representation of the rest of the core 4.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

I posted this in another thread:

Kyle sure did a 180: Dubas 'willing to bet everything' on Leafs core

"For better or worse, I believe in this group and I believe that they are going to get it done and I believe that they're going to win," Dubas said Thursday, according to Sportsnet's Chris Johnston. "I understand that comes with certain doubt because of the fact that we have not broken through in the playoffs, but it's my belief that they will.

"I believe in them as players, I believe in them as people, and I know that decision lies on me and what the risk is for me. We're going ahead that way. So I'm comfortable with it
. I believe that we're going to see the best version of this group next season that we've seen yet and I'm willing to bet everything on that."

This is one of the reasons I wanted him gone. It seems he wasn't willing to even consider changing up the core until his job was actually on the line. He needed to be right

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I could possibly see us going

Jarnkrok Matthews Marner
Kerfoot Tavares Nylander (just to see if it works)
Knies Mishmash of castoffs
Mishmash of castoffs

Rielly someone who's a 3rd pairing Dman preferably
Brodie Holl
Gio Holl (double shifting Holl)

Sammy
Take a gamble on a goalie who's severely injured maybe like Rick Di Pietro or Lupul.

• Haha
Reactions: keonsbitterness

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
Lol sounds like the Red Wings are or are going to be a powerhouse according to those assessments.
Of the young bottom Dwellers that have a general consensus of being on the rise, the 4 easter teams seem to be: Detroit, Ottawa, Buffalo and New Jersey.

New Jersey has already arrived. Buffalo is likely next. Of the remaining 2, Ottawa looks to have more in the pipeline than Detroit. Detroit is 'on the rise' but they just don't have enough very good/great prospects - I think their ceiling is a good playoff team...but they are behind Jersey, Buffalo, and probabaly Ottawa. Getting better? yes. A powerhouse in the making? I don't think so.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Jarnkrok Matthews Marner
Mishmash of castoffs

Brodie Holl

Sammy
Take a gamble on a goalie who's severely injured maybe like Rick Di Pietro or Lupul.
How many more years of seeing that it doesn't work are needed?

Basically your whole lineup is what we've been doing for years - it works well in the regular season and doesn't in the playoffs.

If you're happy with just regular season success, that's fine, but significant changes need to be made for playoff success. Unfortunately the Tavares contract is the single biggest stumbling block.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Jarnkrok Matthews Marner
Mishmash of castoffs

Brodie Holl

Sammy
Kerfoot and Holl won't be back

Reactions: bax and Leaf Rocket

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
How many more years of seeing that it doesn't work are needed?

Basically your whole lineup is what we've been doing for years - it works well in the regular season and doesn't in the playoffs.

If you're happy with just regular season success, that's fine, but significant changes need to be made for playoff success. Unfortunately the Tavares contract is the single biggest stumbling block.
I don't want to see any of that. But I'm betting we see most of it.

Kerfoot and Holl won't be back
Oh ye of little faith.

One simply doesn't let Holl and Kerfoot walk away from this organization. Like cockroaches, when the world is going to shit, Kerfoot, Holl and the Dubes will be the last 3 musketeers standing.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

If even an analytics darling like her is factoring in the human intangibles then maybe someone like you should re-evaluate how you assess these players and their respective playoff performances.

She worked for them less than a year.. she is a whackjob that enjoys her own voice.. smart and stupid running concurrently

Just because I see the value in analytics, like literally everybody in the world should, it doesn't mean that that's the only consideration, or that I know or care about everybody else in the world who supposedly also values analytics. Looks like she works for The Hockey News, which I have no reason to care about or read. Just another hockey media site looking for narratives over facts.

If she does base things heavily in analytics, then she did a horrible job on this article, because analytics don't really come into play, and it's more cherry picking one player's positive moments, contextless surface level stats (half of which are either wrong or misleading), and ridiculous things like "swagger" for a fluff piece on Nylander and incorrect representation of the rest of the core 4.

scout20

Jul 21, 2022
Do you think the Blackhawks would take JT at 8,5 million. (The leafs would pay the rest of his salary. The Blackhawks would get JT to play centre with Bedard and act as a mentor for him. The Leafs would have cap space to sign players like Bertuzzi and Orlov.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Do you think the Blackhawks would take JT at 8,5 million. (The leafs would pay the rest of his salary. The Blackhawks would get JT to play centre with Bedard and act as a mentor for him. The Leafs would have cap space to sign players like Bertuzzi and Orlov.
Tavares = NMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad