Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Matthews scores with anybody, but scores better with Marner. Elite players playing together help each other. It is not this one way street of leeching unearned points off of Matthews like you seemed to imply. Nobody said Marner is some hockey god. They're just giving him the respect he deserves, representing him accurately, and acknowledging his importance to the team.

So we are talking about Mitch Marner getting Matthews 5-7 extra goals? 11million dollars for that, maybe? I don't know this Marner hockey god narrative is falling apart pretty hard after that FL series. It seems like you guys just blame everyone but Mitch. You sound like Mitch sounds in interviews, and Dubas. They both blame external factors and never own up to anything.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So we are talking about Mitch Marner getting Matthews 5-7 extra goals? 11million dollars for that, maybe?
No, I don't think this needs to be said, but Marner is not paid 10.9m just to "get Matthews 5-7 extra goals". He brings a hell of a lot more than that to the team.

facelessjoe1990

Jul 12, 2012
I think Marner to Columbus for #3 David Jiricek Kent Johnson next years 1st (Lottery protected) could work.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Gotta bring Schenner and Acciari back.

Keep Matthews unless he absolutely does not want to be here, or just wants a ridiculous number. It's just too hard too acquire 1st line centers.

If he must be traded Ranger, Kings, and Coyotes have the best assets to acquire him, and are places he would likely re-sign.

Trade Marner for the best package you can get.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Seider ain't going anywhere, even as a "raw" he still scored 50 points in a bottom-5 team during his rookie season. 42 point sophomore year and not to mention his effect in defensive zone, puck moving, mobility, physicality. Seider is a total package at the age of 22. Not a single GM in the world would move him.

Toronto and Detroit, ain't good trade partners. Red Wings only have picks, B prospects and +30 year vets to offer.

DET untouchables:
Larkin
Raymond
Rasmussen
Kasper
Mazur
Söderblom
Lombardi
Seider
Edvinsson
Walman
Wallinder
Cossa

Red Wings biggest organizational need is center, Larkin & Kasper are only U26 centers and RHD. Seider is the only RHD in the roster and Tuomisto & Anton Johansson are the only RHD prospects in the system.
Lol at your untouchable list.
Seider is the only thing close to untouchable on Detroit. But the chance to get the best RWer in hockey, he isn’t really untouchable.
He looks like the real deal, but so did Provorov, and i think Provorov looked better his first few seasons as a top line shutdown defender (Seider showed more offence though), but, he never became what was expected, or more accurately ‘hoped’ for.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
JT and I don’t care about the NMC will be the one who is traded before AM, MM and Willie.
He has too much pride to stick around a team that doesn’t want him around.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
It all counts, and Nylander doesn't really produce any better than the other two in critical moments. The difference is that when he does it, he gets praised, whereas when the other two do it, it tends to be more so what, do it again, that's what we pay you for, what about X and Y. How quickly we forget Matthews willing us back in the 4-1 game, Marner scoring the game winner to keep our season alive in game 4, etc.. You say Nylander is like Kessel. Well, this would be like if Pittsburgh had considered Kessel untouchable over Crosby and Malkin. Unthinkable.

And do you know who has still contributed more overall on their run, and who Vegas considers more untouchable than the likes of Smith and Barbashev? Eichel.
:laugh: You are just spinning my words to it all counts from WHEN it counts. I am unsure if you are just basing it on stats because if that's what you are basing it on and not the game itself we should conclude this conversation and move forward :laugh: As for saying Nylander gets praise and not the others not true at all there. There was plenty of that both for Matthews and Marner when they stepped up, Matthews in round 1, and Marner in his games as well.

The problem is Crosby & Malkin would produce at critical times and roles, but our big boys have not hence I am all for surrounding them with a player or players that allows them to do that IF they aren't doing it themselves and that is fine. It goes back to my saying of WHEN IT COUNTS.

Eichel you are talking about has been great do you know what he was in his critical game 7? 1 assist. He wasn't producing he was hustling and that's absolutely fine but he was with able to calm it down with Natural Hattrick for Marchessault, Barbashev 2 assists, Reilly Smith 1 goal 1 assist. Extremely talented players and that's fine but you need others who can produce in those roles and those moments when the stars aren't able to and are busy being shut down or doing other things. A prime example is Justin Williams, teams always want him. Why? because when it counts he will produce whether he is a star in your eyes or not.

Reactions: Cleetus

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
If Tyler Bertuzzi were willing to come in at a reasonable number, he would fill a massive hole at LW. Also bring a lot of snarl and offensive touch.

I know we were interested in trading for him in the past. Probably will be too expensive, but worth a look in my view.

Also, mostly adding this just for the LOL's, but how about Milan Lucic as the 12/13 forward (Simmonds replacement) at 750K?

• Haha
Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
JT and I don’t care about the NMC will be the one who is traded before AM, MM and Willie.
He has too much pride to stick around a team that doesn’t want him around.
I would love that but I don't think he's moving and we just have to accept the consequences. We are locked with him and it's whoever is in charge to get it fixed or utilize him in a way where it is great for us in the playoffs.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Robidas JT.
That'll never happen.
If Tyler Bertuzzi were willing to come in at a reasonable number, he would fill a massive hole at LW. Also bring a lot of snarl and offensive touch.

I know we were interested in trading for him in the past. Probably will be too expensive, but worth a look in my view.

Also, mostly adding this just for the LOL's, but how about Milan Lucic as the 12/13 forward (Simmonds replacement) at 750K?
Don't know much about Boston's cap situation tbh, but I can see him re-signing there.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

I would laugh very hard if Lucic is one that we sign...and cry...laugh again...and then cry and question why I follow this team.

I do believe Bertuzzi is out of our price range though but who knows.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think Perry can still play tbh, he is prolly one of the most adaptable players that has persisted to his twilight years due to that.

You are right...but sandin isn't in the team no more :sarcasm: couldn't help it :laugh:
Perry will be interesting for a 1 mil. We know he is a POS and don’t joke around like Jumbo. Can score when there is an opportunity and don’t mind doing the dirty stuff.
Imagine having him teach the boys all the cheap shot stuff

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Lol at your untouchable list.
Seider is the only thing close to untouchable on Detroit. But the chance to get the best RWer in hockey, he isn’t really untouchable.
He looks like the real deal, but so did Provorov, and i think Provorov looked better his first few seasons as a top line shutdown defender (Seider showed more offence though), but, he never became what was expected, or more accurately ‘hoped’ for.
Exactly and if he's not the best he's at worst top 3. Why are we trading him? We need to try our best to get out from under the Tavares deal, and if we can't do that look elsewhere then.

I know Columbus is a team that loves Marner.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Whether you want to blow it up or keep it together, having Nylander as the only core 4 untouchable is mind-boggling.
"The only untouchable" or even "untouchable" is silly, but he's a very good choice if you're only keeping one or two of the core 3 (JT really doesn't qualify).

Unfortunately I can see him being the one traded, as he and his contract are easily the best value.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad