Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Marner+ journey or picks for

I dunno Konecny+ or something. I would want Tippett but i doubt they would part with him tbh.
Theres players i like there, but I dont see Marner as a fit for a rebuilding team. I guess we could try and throw Niemela and Robertson there way

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

Whether you want to blow it up or keep it together, having Nylander as the only core 4 untouchable is mind-boggling.
I want playoff performers, and I've said I want to build likely more around Matthews than Marner. There was a lot more said than just having Nylander Untouchable :laugh:

and please do share you view as well that's why i made the thread to have a discussion.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I want playoff performers, and I've said I want to build likely more around Matthews than Marner. There was a lot more said than just having Nylander Untouchable :laugh:
There was a lot more said, but that's something that makes you stop. Regardless of approach, there is no world where Nylander should be the sole core 4 untouchable.
Quite frankly, either you keep them together, blow it up completely, or you're most likely trading Nylander.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Been trying to think of a young D that could be a good fit if we moved a core player that would have a ‘fair’ return.
Marner for Seider seems like an interesting deal
I know Det loves him, but, he is still pretty raw, and Marner next to Larkin would be a nifty pair, and Marner should easily hold more value as the ‘star’ player.
We would be gambling that he meets his potential, Det gets the Sure thing

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
There was a lot more said, but that's something that makes you stop. Regardless of approach, there is no world where Nylander should be the sole core 4 untouchable.
Quite frankly, either you keep them together, or you're most likely trading Nylander.
This just screams I stopped reading :laugh:

I'd be extremely shocked if the core remains intact, one will have to go and make a move ala Huberdeau - Tkachuk. I believe it'll be Marner before Nylander because that gives us more flexibility and a better chance to get the right mix of players and assets to bring it back. I love Marner but if I was to choose between Marner or Nylander or Matthews, I choose Matthews.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I'd be extremely shocked if the core remains intact, one will have to go and make a move ala Huberdeau - Tkachuk. I believe it'll be Marner before Nylander because that gives us more flexibility and a better chance to get the right mix of players and assets to bring it back. I love Marner but if I was to choose between Marner or Nylander or Matthews, I choose Matthews.
To be clear, we'd be Calgary in that deal - trading away a mid-20s top tier player in his prime that people tried to put playoff dud labels on.
If you'd choose Matthews out of the three, then I don't know why you'd put Nylander as the only untouchable. That seems pretty contradictory.
Moving Marner instead of Nylander does not give us more flexibility. It gives us a bit more cap, but a lot more impact to replace.
Nylander is a very good player and should be kept as well, but out of the 3, Nylander is easily the weakest link.
And Matthews is pretty obviously the most untouchable and critical to keep.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
To be clear, we'd be Calgary in that deal - trading away a mid-20s top tier player in his prime that people tried to put playoff dud labels on.
If you'd choose Matthews out of the three, then I don't know why you'd put Nylander as the only untouchable. That seems pretty contradictory.
Moving Marner instead of Nylander does not give us more flexibility. It gives us a bit more cap, but a lot more to replace.
Nylander is a very good player and should be kept as well, but out of the 3, Nylander is easily the weakest link.
And Matthews is pretty obviously the most untouchable and critical to keep.

Highly debatable weakest link. Marner has the more movable contract because it has some term left. Nylander scores goals and that's more favorable over playmaking winger.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Moving Marner instead of Nylander does not give us more flexibility. It gives us a bit more cap, but a lot more to replace.
The reason I disagree with you saying Nylander is the Weakest Link is he seems to come up when backs are against the wall versus the other two in the playoffs. Out of the three he actually showed up at the critical points where all seemed lost he was literally trying to one-man show this shit. This isn't the only time too. It was just painful for him to have Tavares :laugh: be hella slow while him trying to set him time after time.

As far as I am concerned, regular season be damned and I'm sure McDavid who also is going to Muskoka like all of our boys would state the same thing and would want to keep playing.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Been trying to think of a young D that could be a good fit if we moved a core player that would have a ‘fair’ return.
I know Det loves him, but, he is still pretty raw, and Marner next to Larkin would be a nifty pair, and Marner should easily hold more value as the ‘star’ player.
Seider ain't going anywhere, even as a "raw" he still scored 50 points in a bottom-5 team during his rookie season. 42 point sophomore year and not to mention his effect in defensive zone, puck moving, mobility, physicality. Seider is a total package at the age of 22. Not a single GM in the world would move him.

Toronto and Detroit, ain't good trade partners. Red Wings only have picks, B prospects and +30 year vets to offer.

DET untouchables:
Larkin
Raymond
Rasmussen
Kasper
Mazur
Söderblom
Lombardi
Seider
Edvinsson
Walman
Wallinder
Cossa

Red Wings biggest organizational need is center, Larkin & Kasper are only U26 centers and RHD. Seider is the only RHD in the roster and Tuomisto & Anton Johansson are the only RHD prospects in the system.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Seider ain't going anywhere, even as a "raw" he still scored 50 points in a bottom-5 team during his rookie season. 42 point sophomore year and not to mention his effect in defensive zone, puck moving, mobility, physicality. Seider is a total package at the age of 22. Not a single GM in the world would move him.

Toronto and Detroit, ain't good trade partners. Red Wings only have picks, B prospects and +30 year vets to offer.

DET untouchables:
Larkin
Raymond
Rasmussen
Kasper
Mazur
Söderblom
Lombardi
Seider
Edvinsson
Walman
Wallinder
Cossa

Red Wings biggest organizational need is center, Larkin & Kasper are only U26 centers and RHD. Seider is the only RHD in the roster and Tuomisto & Anton Johansson are the only RHD prospects in the system.
Sorry man, but there's absolutely no way in hell that an 80 pt lottery team has 12 guys that are 'untouchable'. All of those guys are absolutely moveable and there's a price for anyone. None of those guys you listed are some generational talents that can't be moved.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I'd be very much SHOCKED if they move Seider, he's an incredible young talented defenseman. would love him for sure but I just don't think it is feasible but then again crazier things have happened in the sporting world :laugh:

Sorry man, but there's absolutely no way in hell that an 80 pt lottery team has 12 guys that are 'untouchable'. All of those guys are absolutely moveable and there's a price for anyone. None of those guys you listed are some generational talents that can't be moved.
I think aside from Larkin & Seider is as close as it would be tbh.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The reason I disagree with you saying Nylander is the Weakest Link is he seems to come up when backs are against the wall versus the other two in the playoffs. Out of the three he actually showed up at the critical points where all seemed lost he was literally trying to one-man show this shit.
I think that's just recency bias from the last game. Matthews and Marner have both stepped up in critical moments, and quite frankly, while the one man shows are flashy and memorable, what we really need is Nylander working hard with his linemates at both ends of the ice throughout. Matthews and Marner are better players in both the regular season and playoffs, offensively and defensively. You yourself said you would choose Matthews out of them, so I don't know why you'd simultaneously say Nylander would be the only untouchable.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Not really. Pretty clear. Worse offensively, and worse defensively.

If anything, 2 years is the worst, because it's not significant term, but the team getting him also can't negotiate an extension.
WN vs MM
87pts vs 99pts
40G vs 30G
28PPP vs 36PPP
15% additional ice-time for Marner. If you adjust to points per minute of ice time, Nylander would be at 100pts.

-MM Gets more PP minutes
-Scores less goals
-4 Million dollars extra per season

-WN Generates more shots on net
-Can carry the puck and enter the zone better

It never looks good, he is very expensive for his level of production, gross overpay for sure.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

DET untouchables:
Larkin
Raymond
Rasmussen
Kasper
Mazur
Söderblom
Lombardi
Seider
Edvinsson
Walman
Wallinder
Cossa

That’s quite the untouchable list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad