Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I could possibly see us going

Jarnkrok Matthews Marner
Kerfoot Tavares Nylander (just to see if it works)
Knies Mishmash of castoffs
Mishmash of castoffs

Rielly someone who's a 3rd pairing Dman preferably
Brodie Holl
Gio Holl (double shifting Holl)

Sammy
Take a gamble on a goalie who's severely injured maybe like Rick Di Pietro or Lupul.
I think I'm going to throw up.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
As Dubas stated yesterday, we will have the benefit of adding young players on ELCs to help fill out the roster such as Knies, Robertson, McMann, Holmberg, Timmins, etc.

We don't necessarily need to add as much via UFA this off season.

Reactions: D00bis

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Very much sounds like Hellebuyck isn’t planning to stick around in the Peg. Perhaps the Leafs should be targeting him in a trade involving one of our core players?

Obviously it wouldn’t be a 1 for 1 deal, but he would certainly solidify our goalie situation. No idea what a deal would end up being, but I just think it’s something to consider.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
He may be injured and if his wrist shot is gone, he’s worth 10 AAV max.

Can the Leafs waste 5 AAV and be successful?
I personally, as stated in another thread, would be okay with him getting Mackinnon type money. No way in hell would I want a 14-15 no. 12 fine a bit above sure but no otherwise.

I posted this in another thread:

Kyle sure did a 180: Dubas 'willing to bet everything' on Leafs core

"For better or worse, I believe in this group and I believe that they are going to get it done and I believe that they're going to win," Dubas said Thursday, according to Sportsnet's Chris Johnston. "I understand that comes with certain doubt because of the fact that we have not broken through in the playoffs, but it's my belief that they will.

"I believe in them as players, I believe in them as people, and I know that decision lies on me and what the risk is for me. We're going ahead that way. So I'm comfortable with it
. I believe that we're going to see the best version of this group next season that we've seen yet and I'm willing to bet everything on that."

This is one of the reasons I wanted him gone. It seems he wasn't willing to even consider changing up the core until his job was actually on the line. He needed to be right

I think like many of us...he had faith in the core-4 more so than others likely being at the top and realizes now it's not the mix to get the holy grail. Just from his exit presser, it was a very different tune and it is the right tune tbh. I still think if anyone was to move it'd be Marner because of his value and possibly assets to flip and get. At the end of the day whatever it takes to get the cup, but realistically...Matthews stays and we build around that.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
As Dubas stated yesterday, we will have the benefit of adding young players on ELCs to help fill out the roster such as Knies, Robertson, McMann, Holmberg, Timmins, etc.

Is it out of the question Niemela challanges for a spot in camp? I think it's a small possibility. He's getting rave reviews in the AHL even if the sample size is small.

NastyKnies

Feb 20, 2010
Canada

Jarnkrok Matthews Marner
Mishmash of castoffs

Brodie Holl

Sammy
Take a gamble on a goalie who's severely injured maybe like Rick Di Pietro or Lupul.
r/leafs in a nutshell.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
If Tyler Bertuzzi were willing to come in at a reasonable number, he would fill a massive hole at LW. Also bring a lot of snarl and offensive touch.

I know we were interested in trading for him in the past. Probably will be too expensive, but worth a look in my view.

Also, mostly adding this just for the LOL's, but how about Milan Lucic as the 12/13 forward (Simmonds replacement) at 750K?
He is the guy I would target. Apparently Dubas has been interested in the past. If Nylander is asking for too much, I trade Nylander and replace him with a less skilled, but more aggressive Bertuzzi for likely 3 million less a year.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
As i already mentioned, Red Wings cannot afford to trade those players in order to keep the rebuild moving on.

Larkin - proven 1st line center. 9 1st line centers scored more points than Larkin this year. Larkin outscored Barkov, Hintz, Aho and Eichel, all the centers from top-4 teams this year. 70-80 point 2-way center at the age of 26, no GM in the league would trade him away.

Kasper - Only potential top-6 center prospect, his ceiling is 70-80 point guy but most likely ends up reliable 50-60 point 2nd line center. With the lack of center prospects, Kasper becomes untouchable.

Raymond - 1st line winger and still more room to improve, still under ELC and after that cheap bridge deal. Extremely cost effective.

Rasmussen - top-6 grinder, exactly what Leafs would need. Ras has finally figured out how to use his size and strenght properly, with some good luck Wings could have the next Tage Thompson in their hands. Red Wings brass and coaching has mentioned often how Red Wings needs to become bigger and tougher to play against, Ras fits in that mold what they want. It would be stupid to trade him, especially when they are going to re-sign him with very cost effective bridge deal. Rasmussen's leadership qualities has been praised and immediately after Ras was injured, Red Wings fell from wagon. Ras can also play as a center, which makes him even more valuable.

Mazur - another potential top-6 grinder. High scoring player in the USHL, NCAA, U20 Worlds, AHL, teams chance, linemates change, level's change but Mazur keeps scoring. Board battle monster, Mazur wins 90% of the board battles. Very good change that Mazur makes his NHL breakthrough while under ELC and after that comes cheap bridge deals, again very cost effective. Now Mazur is untouchable, 4-5 years from things might be different.

Söderblom - Massive, mobile and skilled, real unicorn player. Very rare compination, Söderblom can be anything from a 1st winger to a 4th line winger. Made his debut already, wasn't quite ready but he ain't far. It would be incredible stupid to trade Söderblom until we see what we really got.

Lombardi - excellent rookie camp and excellent OHL season. Lombardi could be something or he could be nothing, very intriguing prospect. Again no point trade yet, potentially could provide tons of secondary scoring. Cheaply.

Seider - 1st D in the NHL at the age 20. Ceiling: Chris Pronger, conservative estimate: Victor Hedman. Not a single GM in the world is going to trade away a #1 defenseman, unless there's similar defenseman coming in.

Edvinsson - Massive, mobile, physical, skilled, future top-3 defenseman in the NHL. Ceiling: Victor Hedman, conservative estimate: Jay Bouwmeester. Under ELC which is followed by cheap bridge deals, very cost effective again.

Wallinder - Big and extremely mobile. Wallinder has all the tools to become top-3 D in the NHL, unlikely to score much but defensively excellent. Slow learner but keeps improving game after game.

Walman - He is very loosely untouchable, i only put him to the list because Yzerman really likes him. Yzerman has said that he considered drafting Walman and then later trading for him already in Tampa. Now he did trade for him, Walman has great chemistry with Seider. At the moment Walman is untoucable but could change soon.

Cossa - Yzerman traded up to get Cossa, what's the point to trade him since assets were spent to get him in the first place?
----------------------------
Provonov has never been the talent what Seider is. Couple good season's behind prime Giroux. Marner for Seider trade only improves the Leafs, doesn't make any sense for the Wings. 1st winger isn't even the biggest need for the Wings, Yzerman sure as hell wouldn't trade 1D for a winger.

I understand your reasoning but to believe all of these players are unmoveable is not realistic frankly. Even for my post in which I said untouchable is similar subject to change and likely not true at all. The only one I truly think the franchise will make Untouchable is Matthews, similar to Larkin for you guys, and closely I'd say Seider for you yes. I think you guys are in a similar phase as the Sabres were when they were building around Eichel but there were more sideline issues and injuries for them as well so it become another rebuild after a rebuild. During that phase Risotolainen, Dadorov, Eichel, and Reinhart I believe were as close to untouchable, and if you look now not many are there anymore.

Frankly, I don't think we are good trade partners, one because we are in the same division and two the only players you would be interested in likely is one of Marner or Nylander and the cost is not something I don't think you would part with. "Big trades" don't often occur with division rivals. Although your explanation for each player is incredibly well-detailed and well done.

I am unsure about the cap-space situation but if the center is the depth area you are looking at it, wouldn't shock me if Yzerman is going for Ryan O'Reilly as well in Free Agency. Most of the signings from the looks of it for you guys bring that kind of hustle and mettle.

Also, I do have to ask, what the hell happened to Zadina? I saw him with the Mooseheads and he was electric, his interview post-draft was amazing and filled with "chip on my shoulder I'll show you" i loved it but he hasn't made that at all.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

The problem with these guys is they are more of the same (sans Knies). Robertson wouldn't make it passed two Gudas hits before we're calling someone else up. The issue with this team is the make up. Adding even more of what we have isn't going to help us solve our issues. Unless we haven't learnt anything for the 6th straight offseason.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Do you think the Blackhawks would take JT at 8,5 million. (The leafs would pay the rest of his salary. The Blackhawks would get JT to play centre with Bedard and act as a mentor for him. The Leafs would have cap space to sign players like Bertuzzi and Orlov.
JT would have to waive his NMC for it to happen. So it's not a question of "would Chicago take him" but "would he leave home and his favourite team and his last chance to win a Cup, to go to a disaster?" Maybe more accurately "would his wife let him?"

The Best Leafs Everr

Jul 29, 2022
JT would have to waive his NMC for it to happen. So it's not a question of "would Chicago take him" but "would he leave home and his favourite team and his last chance to win a Cup, to go to a disaster?" Maybe more accurately "would his wife let him?"
Oh he already said he wants to be the captain here. I mean mother f***er is shameless to the bones. We need to strip him off and make a balloon out of him to set an example.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

United35

Jan 16, 2021

I would suggest they take this summer to understand that, for the next couple trade deadlines, we can’t be adding and disposing of prospects picks for players we could have added in the summer.

I wouldn’t go crazy in UFA but I would definitely try and add pieces that I am convinced will be there in the spring.

Aka not another Jordie Benn air Aubs-Kubel.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Very much sounds like Hellebuyck isn’t planning to stick around in the Peg. Perhaps the Leafs should be targeting him in a trade involving one of our core players?

Obviously it wouldn’t be a 1 for 1 deal, but he would certainly solidify our goalie situation. No idea what a deal would end up being, but I just think it’s something to consider.
I love Hellybuck but if we are critical of our core-4 their core pieces are questionable too so it'll be very interesting to see who we would want to acquire if we are bartering one of those pieces for something else+

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
We do not trade Marner !!!!! Sundin's highest LEAF point total was 94 points. Mitch just had 99 points. He stays!
So, regular season success outweighs playoff failures ???

Marner has not made much of an impact on our Leafs in the playoffs !!!

I'd rather have a PPG player that also maintains a PPG in the playoffs !!!

Marner needs to go to fix our cap imbalance !!!

JMHO !!!

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008

Jarnkrok Matthews Marner
Mishmash of castoffs

Brodie Holl

Sammy
You’d be fine with that and you’d want to re-sign Kerfoot? That dude is one of the worst playoff performers I’ve ever seen, totally inconsequential aside from one lucky tip in OT

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If we keep the core 4 and run it back under a new coach, this is our starting point before signing UFAs/resigning RFAs:

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Jarnkrok-Holmberg-Lafferty
McMann-Steeves-XXXX

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liljegren
XXXX-Timmins

Woll
Murray

Definitely some holes to fill in the starting lineup and for depth positions, but I think we're in a better position than in recent years heading into the off season.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
The problem with these guys is they are more of the same (sans Knies). Robertson wouldn't make it passed two Gudas hits before we're calling someone else up. The issue with this team is the make up. Adding even more of what we have isn't going to help us solve our issues. Unless we haven't learnt anything for the 6th straight offseason.
That’s definitely true, Robertson is effectively a smaller Marner with way less skill. He’s extremely light on his feet and way to easy to physically dominate

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
They say change just for change's sake isn't usually worth it, but in the Leafs case it does - at least on the roster. Running the same top 6/top 4 next season is essentially just re-running the same failed group. They also need a new coach as Keefe just isn't good enough and Dubas, sorry to break it to the fanboys, is not a good GM.

Yes, value-wise he's made some solid moves. Quite a few. But his haul at the trade deadline showed that he didn't have the roster he needed to compete (and as it turns out even with the new guys he didn't) and ended up having to fill too many spots in too little time. It was too much and it showed.

He patched holes with band-aids instead of addressing the real weakness (time for that was the off-season, and likely meant moving a core player). He refused to because despite all evidence to the contrary he believed they would figure it out. And he was wrong again and that's why MLSE should let him walk.

Assistant GM to help manage the cap, use analytics to find talent, etc? Sure, though zero chance he stays in that role. But he's can't be the guy who's vision the team is based on because he's proven his vision does not work, repeatedly.

Rant got away from there, sorry. But yeah, they need an entirely new vision, and that starts at the GM all the way down through the roster. We're not going to get it, but that's what is needed.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

If those are your best options, you absolutely do need to add ‘as much’. Outside of Knies, not one of those guys is guaranteed to deserve a roster spot.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If those are your best options, you absolutely do need to add ‘as much’. Outside of Knies, not one of those guys is guaranteed to deserve a roster spot.
Not guaranteed, but I thought they all looked good enough when called upon in limited sample sizes during the season. The question is if given the opportunity, can they play at that level consistently over the course of an entire NHL season...

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
If we keep the core 4 and run it back under a new coach, this is our starting point before signing UFAs/resigning RFAs:

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Jarnkrok-Holmberg-Lafferty
McMann-Steeves-XXXX

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liljegren
XXXX-Timmins

Woll
Murray

Definitely some holes to fill in the starting lineup and for depth positions, but I think we're in a better position than in recent years heading into the off season.

This is a roster that's worse than our playoff roster, and same core 4 guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad