Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This is a roster that's worse than our playoff roster, and same core 4 guys.
I think it’s time for JT (if he doesn’t waive) to move to the wing.

If we are looking at trading Marner:

Knies-Matthews-Nylander
Tavares-C-RW
Build a SOB checking line

D
Rielly-Schenn
McCabe-Lily

So when moving a player, look to fill in the letters with upgrades from the deal.
Can you get a D like Hughes for Marner? A forward like Kempe on the RW? A package deal that gives you the RW+D. Find a speedy center.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I truly believe under a new coach this core with this supporting cast can achieve great things. Every playoff series the Leafs lose the same way.

Offensively, the Leafs have been stymied by a neutral zone trap going back to Columbus, and when they do get in the offensive zone they can't get into the slot/middle of the ice. This makes the Leafs more susceptible to getting "goalied" as they so often do and we end up taking a lot of perimeter shots. The Leafs offensive cliff dive every playoffs is less of a personnel problem than it is a tactical one.

Defensively, the Leafs get scored on in transition and off the rush all the time. It's our primary downfall in the playoffs. In our four previous playoff series losses:

• 2023 80% of Florida's goals came on the rush.
  • 2022 Tampa won game 6 via transition and game 7 with 2 rush goals.
  • 2021 Montreal scored 1 goal off the cycle, the rest were special teams (3) or in transition.
  • 2020 Columbus came back from down 3-0 with 3 goals coming in transition and they won Game 5 off 2 goals in transition

Now there are two constants on this team since 2020, Sheldon Keefe and the Core Five. The supporting cast over the years has changed so much and has had so many different strengths and weaknesses that it's difficult to blame the surrounding players for these continued exploitations. Blaming the core is more than fair given they're the ones actually on the ice. However, no trade or FA signing or prospect graduation matters until the knucklehead behind the bench is switched out.

Given all the evidence it's clear the Leafs main downfall in the playoffs is strategy moreso than a lack of talent or grit or speed or heart or whatever. When we've seen the Leafs fall victim to the same tactics over and over and over and over again, it says to me we've got a coach with absolutely zero answers and who's too stubborn to change up his game plan when facing adversity.

With all of this plus Keefe's inability to develop young talent at this level it's clear that it's time to move on and it's time for a new voice behind the bench. Leafs need a coach who's far more capable of adapting on the fly and who can employ a game plan that makes the opposition uncomfortable, rather than always reacting.

And to be clear, I'm not 100% against trading a core piece, but I do think that it wouldn't be the end of the world if they ran it back with the same core players. Again, no roster change matters until a new coach is behind the bench.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Not guaranteed, but I thought they all looked good enough when called upon in limited sample sizes during the season. The question is if given the opportunity, can they play at that level consistently over the course of an entire NHL season...

Robertson needs a full year at the AHL level. Even if he can crack the lineup on the 4th line, he shouldn’t be in the NHL next year.

I liked Holmberg - he should earn a 4 line spot.

McMann is a good call up, but that’s about it.

I don’t mind Timmins.

Reactions: andora

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
You would only have about $5 mil in free cap space with that roster you suggested.
It's a thin UFA market, but if we can find a few decent veteran players on team friendly deals, the Marlies players can always be demoted to start the season and their salaries won't count against the cap. Are any of them not waiver exempt?

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I don't see how we are a contender with 11m Tavares. Should just trade Mitch and Willy for prospects and build to contend in 2026.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
And to be clear, I'm not 100% against trading a core piece, but I do think that it wouldn't be the end of the world if they ran it back with the same core players. Again, no roster change matters until a new coach is behind the bench.
There is some truth to this. I wonder how this team would have played this year if Keefe was fired last year and someone like Trotz was behind the bench for this season.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Matthews and Nylander for McDavid… what if both franchises already know McDavid is likely going to end up in Toronto at one point… and Toronto suspects Auston is not really going to commit.

I can actually see this happening.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Matthews and Nylander for McDavid… what if both franchises already know McDavid is likely going to end up in Toronto at one point… and Toronto suspects Auston is not really going to commit.

If Auston won't commit to TO there's no chance he'll commit to frigging Edmonton.

For a lot of reasons, no chance in hell this would happen.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If we keep the core 4 and run it back under a new coach, this is our starting point before signing UFAs/resigning RFAs:

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Jarnkrok-Holmberg-Lafferty
McMann-Steeves-XXXX

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liljegren
XXXX-Timmins

Woll
Murray

Definitely some holes to fill in the starting lineup and for depth positions, but I think we're in a better position than in recent years heading into the off season.
That’s a legit WC contender

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I don't see how we are a contender with 11m Tavares. Should just trade Mitch and Willy for prospects and build to contend in 2026.

It's a fair plan. Let young players like Knies, Woll and Liljegren get some experience while we wait out Tavares' contract.

Though I'd prefer a stable top-4 D-man to play with Reilly coming back as part of a deal involving either of Willie/Mitch. Also on the shopping list, a top-6 winger that calls the slot his home.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I could possibly see us going

Jarnkrok Matthews Marner
Kerfoot Tavares Nylander (just to see if it works)
Knies Mishmash of castoffs
Mishmash of castoffs

Rielly someone who's a 3rd pairing Dman preferably
Brodie Holl
Gio Holl (double shifting Holl)

Sammy
Take a gamble on a goalie who's severely injured maybe like Rick Di Pietro or Lupul.

I think I'm going to throw up.
I did throw up….. out of my ass.

That is a wretched lineup.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

If this was true (it's 100% not true), you would do whatever you can do to keep Matthews... even if it's only for a few years and then McDavid comes to T.O. one year after JTs contract is over.

xxx - McDavid - Nylander
Knies - Matthews - Marner

Run it for a year or two and see if they can win, if not and he wants out you could trade Matthews to fill out the team or let him walk and fill out the roster with the cap space.

However, to reiterate, it's 100% not true. Most likely that McDavid stays in Edmonton until at least his mid-late 30s. It's not so much that he loves Edmonton, I just think he just seems like a guy who ia loyal to a fault and unlikely to leave Edmonton while he's good enough to single handedly make a team good enough to compete.

Maybe he'll want to come to Toronto when he still has a few years left in the tank.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
This is a roster that's worse than our playoff roster, and same core 4 guys.
I hate to be cynical.
But we likely don't see an "improved" lineup, from this playoff one..with the current core.

Unless we do something drastic(rebuild/retool)
We're likely going to see deck chairs move with a downgrade at 3C, 1 yr older D group etc.

I'm not really yelling to go 'drastic' either. Just not sure, at all, what to do with this team.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Just because 25-26 is the year theyre currently set-up best capswise, doesnt mean we should just give up until then. There's enough roster talent that they can easily win before JTs contract is off the books.

Reactions: deprw

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

They’ve taken a couple of steps backward this year and contending still seems impossible for the foreseeable future. They cannot afford to use anymore picks and resources to fix mistakes like Murray.

They could do 1 of these or all of these if need be.

Sign Mathews for 8 yrs, or trade him
Trade Marner
Maybe they can give Tavares away to a team, if not ride him out.
Sign Nylander for 8 yrs or trade him.

Ottawa, Buffalo and Detroit are coming on and it‘d be nice if the Leafs were good at the same time as those teams are good.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Just because 25-26 is the year theyre currently set-up best capswise, doesnt mean we should just give up until then. There's enough roster talent that they can easily win before JTs contract is off the books.
Not even close to enough talent to win. They were outplayed in 8 of 11 playoff games.

After 5 yrs they still need 4 D, one has to be a #1a or 1b
The probably need a goalie, but I’d give Woll a shot
They need two top 2 wingers that play a different style than the forwards they have now. Knies might be one.
Theyprobably need

If you watched the playoffs you could see they couldnt fill out a consistent lineup because they are so poorly built.

Reactions: 3blizzard4

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The Leafs and winning easily should never be used together.
No kidding.
We just put together (this playoffs) arguably the best support group for the core we’ve had in a long time and still couldn’t get much done. We won 5 games instead of 3.
What makes people think this core is just on the verge of a Cup before JT expires in 2 years???
This core needs to change and the team retooled around that change.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Will Shanny speak this week? If they’re doing something do it before the semis start.

I assume he will speak once they have clarity on the Dubas situation, one way or another. I have a feeling it'll be at some point in the next week or so.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
No kidding.
We just put together (this playoffs) arguably the best support group for the core we’ve had in a long time and still couldn’t get much done. We won 5 games instead of 3.
What makes people think this core is just on the verge of a Cup before JT expires in 2 years???
This core needs to change and the team retooled around that change.
The team was built to win a round this year, however the way they played, I think they actually took a step back this season.

I assume he will speak once they have clarity on the Dubas situation, one way or another. I have a feeling it'll be at some point in the next week or so.
I was actually thinking it was already Friday.

My son’s HS baseball season ended last week and he’s finished up school for the semester so my rhythm is off.

Reactions: andora and SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The team was built to win a round this year, however the way they played, I think they actually took a step back this season.

I was actually thinking it was already Friday.

My son’s HS baseball season ended last week and he’s finished up school for the semester so my rhythm is off.

Johnston said MLSE expected clarity by Wednesday (today) from Dubas so I think Shanahan will speak soon after that clarity. My bet would be that Shanahan will talk to the media by Friday but I could see it being pushed into next week depending on a few things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad