Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
It's not even a debate that Matthews is an inferior player to Mack but here we are gonna probably pay him $2M+ more just to be a non-competing playoff failure :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh Leafs, just a joke that keeps getting sadder.
Yup.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Babcock wasn't much different either, I remember preferring being on the road since he wouldn't obsessively match lines as much to our detriment.

You honestly might have to go back to Pat Quinn to find a time when it really felt like the Leafs had the coaching edge in the playoffs.
Considering the playoff drought after Quinn, yes. You knew with his teams the semis was the ceiling and you hoped they’d catch a break and make it to the SCF at least once. Now, making the playoffs is major accomplishment

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Keefe’s Leafs record as the home team in the playoffs is abysmal. 1-2 in 2020, 1-3 in 2021, 2-2 in 2022, and 1-5 in 2023. An overall record of 5-12 at home in the postseason. Yes, home ice isn’t what it used to be but for Christ’s sake you can’t be 7 games under .500 when you’ve got the last change and choice of matchups.
You could at least argue that Babs had them relatively over-achieving. Two 7 game series against the Bruins who were legit Cup contenders with teams that were not as good and less experienced as a core. 1-2, 2-1, 1-2 at home in 3 series, 4-5 at home collectively.

Those Colombus and Habs losses are just unreal. The home record is too. I mean at least break even.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
You could at least argue that Babs had them relatively over-achieving. Two 7 game series against the Bruins who were legit Cup contenders with teams that were not as good and less experienced as a core. 1-2, 2-1, 1-2 at home in 3 series, 4-5 at home collectively.

Those Colombus and Habs losses are just unreal. The home record is too. I mean at least break even.
Many expected us to win the second B's series. Pretty sure we were the favourite in Game 7 as well after coming back from 3-1 in th3 first series too.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's not even a debate that Matthews is an inferior player to Mack but here we are gonna probably pay him $2M+ more just to be a non-competing playoff failure :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh Leafs, just a joke that keeps getting sadder.
In what world does Matthews think he should considered the highest paid player?

Based on the term, he was overpaid by at least 2 mill per season on his last deal, which was paid up front in bonuses to avoid taxes.

Per Friedman Leafs have told Schenn they want him back
They need people to play D during the transition, but it has to be 1 year at no more than a million.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Did you say nylander is a playoff warrior lol. Dude couldn't take a hit to make a play if his life depended on it. All I think of is last playoff against tampa where he wouldnt go into the corner until tampa got the puck first so he wouldnt be hit

Reactions: ACC1224

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
In what world does Matthews think he should considered the highest paid player?

Based on the term, he was overpaid by at least 2 mill per season on his last deal, which was paid up front in bonuses to avoid taxes.

The one where he won 2 Rockets, the Lindsay, and a Hart within the last three years. Like, it's not even a question.

Equating highest paid with "think's he's the best" is disingenuous, we all know it's McD, most impartial observers probably have Matthews somewhere top five, any one of those five next up for a contract probably comes out the highest paid. Business.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Same four in the same positions and pairings as hasn't worked, especially in the playoffs, for several years.

Except for Knies and Lafferty and maybe McCabe, this lineup is worse than what we started last year with.
Again, this lineup is only a starting point based on players currently under contract next season. It does not include re-signed RFAs or potential UFA acquisitions this off season.

It's not a finished product and will undoubtedly be stronger on opening night.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think he’ll easily get $2M per

If the Leafs pay Schenn anything more than $1m, I think they'll regret it.

Ultimately, Luke Schenn really shouldn't be on your first pair -- in the regular season or in the playoffs. If he's not on your first pair, you've gotta ask, where is he???

The Leafs right side is Brodie (Likely), Liljegren, Timmins & Schenn. To me, that's not good enough, and that group not being good enough likely starts from the top. That means, in my view, Schenn should be an in-and-out-of the lineup guy.

Even if you get rid of one of the big 3, you've still got 2 players over $11m, where, if I recall, no team with a contract $10m or larger (on a skater), has ever been to a cup final.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010

Ultimately, Luke Schenn really shouldn't be on your first pair -- in the regular season or in the playoffs. If he's not on your first pair, you've gotta ask, where is he???

The Leafs right side is Brodie (Likely), Liljegren, Timmins & Schenn. To me, that's not good enough, and that group not being good enough likely starts from the top. That means, in my view, Schenn should be an in-and-out-of the lineup guy.
I like the idea of Schenn and Timmins as your #6/7. We really need Liljegren to cement a top 4 position. Brodie also shouldn't be playing top line minutes anymore. Giordano shouldn't be a regular next year. The team needs to find a top pairing defenceman somehow

Rielly XXX
Brodie Liljegren
McCabe Schenn/Timmins
Gio

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

Even if you get rid of one of the big 3, you've still got 2 players over $11m, where, if I recall, no team with a contract $10m or larger (on a skater), has ever been to a cup final.
I disagree. Schenn showed his worth in the playoffs. He is easily worth $2M per season and is a perfect fit alongside Rielly. He’s much better than both Liljegren and Timmins currently. And adds an element we seriously lack.

No team with a contract over $10M has been to the cup final. Extremely flawed stat considering how it has only recently become the norm that top players receive $10M per contracts. Even then, just because no one has done it, doesn’t mean it’s not possible. Top paid players usually equal top talent players. Give me a 10M player over a 5M player any day, assuming they deserve the contract.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Leafs are waiting on decisions first from Kyle Dubas and then Auston Matthews, the two biggest failures in the company, in order to proceed with business.

I hope Dubas comes back and fixes this mess he created, but he doesn’t get a week to decide. Take it or leave.
Same with Mathews. There's no negotiating with him about being the highest paid player.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The one where he won 2 Rockets, the Lindsay, and a Hart within the last three years. Like, it's not even a question.

Equating highest paid with "think's he's the best" is disingenuous, we all know it's McD, most impartial observers probably have Matthews somewhere top five, any one of those five next up for a contract probably comes out the highest paid. Business.
Good regular season player, but no one cares about that at this stage of his career. At least nobody in Leafs management should care about that. They have regular season revenue coming out their ears.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Good regular season player, but no one cares about that at this stage of his career. At least nobody in Leafs management should care about that. They have regular season revenue coming out their ears.
He'll get paid from it. Anyone would. This isn't a Matthews thing, hand that resume to anyone negotiating a contract and there's a pretty good case for this can be the highest paid player in the league for a couple years.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The Leafs are waiting on decisions first from Kyle Dubas and then Auston Matthews, the two biggest failures in the company, in order to proceed with business.

I hope Dubas comes back and fixes this mess he created, but he doesn’t get a week to decide. Take it or leave.
Same with Mathews. There's no negotiating with him about being the highest paid player.
I can't believe we're in this situation - they didn't want to re-sign Dubas to an extension last summer, and now another early playoff exit, and now they do? Especially if Dubas is feeling the pressure now?!! MAJOR decisions have to be made, and we want Dubas back to make them!? Unreal

He'll get paid from it. Anyone would. This isn't a Matthews thing, hand that resume to anyone negotiating a contract and there's a pretty good case for this can be the highest paid player in the league for a couple years.
Mitch will then want the same :sarcasm:

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
I can't believe we're in this situation - they didn't want to re-sign Dubas to an extension last summer, and now another early playoff exit, and now they do? Especially if Dubas is feeling the pressure now?!! MAJOR decisions have to be made, and we want Dubas back to make them!? Unreal

You can draft a skilled winger or trade for one. Two time rocket and heart winning Centers don't grow on trees.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto

Nah, he doesn't get the same if he's still here, clearly it tops out at Matthews and work your way down from there. Him I could actually see eating a bit he might otherwise get for the team, hometown and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad