Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I’m thinking more along the lines of winning a championship and just icing team trying to make the playofff

Yes they’ve proven they need 1a or 1b to help Rielly. What they have now, and have had for several years is not championship level.

The 4 forwards are too similar and simply not good enough.

Other than the year they missed this playoffs, this might be worst team they’ve iced in the Dubas era.

We never missed the playoffs in the Dubas era

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Beside the obvious of getting Makar and McD.

Trade Murray to get that Cap relief and just double Sammy salary to 3.6mil for 2 yrs. In short using Murray caphit to fund both Sammy and Woll. That will free up 2.5mil.

Trade TJ for picks as I doubt anyone is trading a Dman in return. Then use TJ money to sign Orlov. If Orlov wants more, as long as it is not over 6.5mil Sign him for 5-6yrs. Essentially using TJ and Holl caphit to sign an impact Dman with 500k to spare.

McCabe will be move down to 3rd pairing with Timmins or Gio, Lilly playing with Orlov and Schenn with Reilly. That’s a pretty good 7dcorps. All three pairings can move the puck, got speed and clear the net, not to mention physical.

Since ROR will be gone. Resign Acciari and Kampf and those two along with Lafferty are great bottom 6 players. Also bring back Brown to be 3rd line RW if he recovers on a prove me deal at 1.5mil. Then promote Holmberg, McMann and others to learn to play like those four in the bottom 6. Needs to finish checks, hound the opposing players and crash the net.

Trade JT for JT Miller. Miller is literally the opposite of JT and will fire up the boys.

Still missing a spot in the top 6 and ideally another heavy and speedy forward on the 3rd line too. With the remaining cap, I think at 8-8.5mil. Sign Tank for a season and solid winger to fill the 3rd line.

It won’t happened but it would be nice if it did
Absolutely love the bring back Brown comment. I was thinking this today..... He's a solid 3rd, 4th liner coming off injuries and I really think he'd be in their plans. I would LOVE Orlov but It's going to be hard to do. Hope your predictions become true.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Honestly its been as much about conversion. Every shot is from a mistake and we simply didnt convert on opportunities.

Game 5 is a great example, especially OT. Jarn beats Verhaege for a prime rush chance, they turn the puck over and we find Matthews in the slot uncovered (he mishandled it). Later in the period Vergaege turns it over at the line and we find Matthews below their D uncovered. Laff also gets a rush chance followes by a Kerfoot rebound after a blocked shot high in the zone. Theres the Tavares tip and Tavares backhand chance as well, which you want better coverage on the Panthers.

I do wonder how much is evaluating the results vs the process on it, especially with TB and CLB scoring their share of tips/rebounds
I agree with you that we didn't convert properly and the other reason is we just look for skillful play and not crash the net. It is frustrating but while we do these skillful plays and pinches we take the hit and get scored on because we aren't prepared or taught to defend what to do when that occurs.

Watching the playoffs you can see the difference between teams and those who grind and does the nitty gritty to get those greasy goals. most importantly we need to bring out forecheck and stick-checking a LOT more. I think it comes with the coach and the system that is in place for sure.

The old saying skill can't be taught but defense can and that falls here big time.

Absolutely love the bring back Brown comment. I was thinking this today..... He's a solid 3rd, 4th liner coming off injuries and I really think he'd be in their plans. I would LOVE Orlov but It's going to be hard to do. Hope your predictions become true.
i am still bit skeptical about brown even though I absolutely love him due to his injury issues tbh.

Reactions: ktownhockey

Gilles Meloche

I Moe I Moe
Feb 18, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Mike Futa was on Kipper and Bourne and was saying maybe look into a Tavares for Doughty trade?? “Change the deck chairs”. How different would our team look. NMC clause doesn’t mean players can’t/won’t be moved. McDonough got traded from Tampa Bay with a NMC. Not saying it would happen but I really think you need to explore all options.

I really think everything has to be looked at, the identity of the team has to change. How many times are you going to run it back with the same results?? Haven’t we seen enough?

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Marner for Keller + Crouse. That would be nice.
I don't think we are good dance partners for them... I could be wrong since we have had a lot of trades with them :laugh:

Mike Futa was on Kipper and Bourne and was saying maybe look into a Tavares for Doughty trade?? “Change the deck chairs”. How different would our team look. NMC clause doesn’t mean players can’t/won’t be moved. McDonough got traded from Tampa Bay with a NMC. Not saying it would happen but I really think you need to explore all options.

I really think everything has to be looked at, the identity of the team has to change. How many times are you going to run it back with the same results?? Haven’t we seen enough?
Although this is true sometimes players will move for a team or because it becomes a bad fit. I just don't see it with Tavares. Feels like he will stay and retire as a leafer to me... I think it is up to whoever to figure out how he can be useful for us to get a cup.

Aside from that I do think Kings are the best trade partners for us but do they see it that way is the question.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

So you want to trade an overpaid C with 2 years left on his contract for an equally (arguably more) overpaid Dman with 4 years left?

Unless you can find a trade that doesn't handcuff us, the best move is probably to keep JT. Once his contract is over, you move on unless he wants to sign for a #2C salary.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
I like the idea of Schenn and Timmins as your #6/7. We really need Liljegren to cement a top 4 position. Brodie also shouldn't be playing top line minutes anymore. Giordano shouldn't be a regular next year. The team needs to find a top pairing defenceman somehow

Rielly XXX
Brodie Liljegren
McCabe Schenn/Timmins
Gio
Mayfield, while not necessarily a top 2, would be a good pick up, id assume between 4-5 mil.

Rielly - Mayfield
McCabe - Liljegren
Brodie/Gio - Schenn/Timmins

Then go for more significant upgrade once Brodie and Gio are gone. Or Niemala comes out of nowhere.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Mayfield, while not necessarily a top 2, would be a good pick up, id assume between 4-5 mil.

Rielly - Mayfield
McCabe - Liljegren
Brodie/Gio - Schenn/Timmins

Then go for more significant upgrade once Brodie and Gio are gone. Or Niemala comes out of nowhere.

We can’t afford to run a defense where Rielly is the only consistent puck mover again. We’re not bad defensively we just play way too much defense because 5/6 D can’t exit the zone in 3 attempts.

bpower

Aug 21, 2005
I think the NHLPA and Matthews are working hand in hand to push the contracts of players to new highs.

I think they are looking at the silly NBA giant contracts handed out to bench players making 15-20 million and they are saying our stars should making more than that.

They are using Matthews as the front runner to push the envelope.

This would make sense if there wasn't a hard cap... all this would accomplish is more money for the top guys and less money for the bottom guys. The players are all still getting the same amount of money, you'd just be slicing the pie up differently.

So you can take the tin foil hat off... Matthews is pushing for more money because Matthews wants more money. If we are moving someone this offseason, because we have to, I hope its Matthews if he wants anything north of 13m.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Just a note .., Leaf currently have used All their 50 available contracts so any trades and moves would require players IN and players Out taking that into account.

1684441744234.png

bpower

Aug 21, 2005
So you want to trade an overpaid C with 2 years left on his contract for an equally (arguably more) overpaid Dman with 4 years left?

Unless you can find a trade that doesn't handcuff us, the best move is probably to keep JT. Once his contract is over, you move on unless he wants to sign for a #2C salary.
I say we hold on to Tavares in the hopes that he gives us a few "Spezza" years after the contract is done. Tavares at league minimum would go a long way to open that window of opportunity for us to go for a cup in 2 years.

Reactions: Community

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Just a note .., Leaf currently have used All their 50 available contracts so any trades and moves would require players IN and players Out taking that into account.

View attachment 709946
We are definitely looking to have some moves made Mess. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to move forward with the players over here.

I also think we are looking at team that might require a retool or changing with of fresh blood similar to the kings or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad