Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I say we hold on to Tavares in the hopes that he gives us a few "Spezza" years after the contract is done. Tavares at league minimum would go a long way to open that window of opportunity for us to go for a cup in 2 years.
A large hometown discount would be great. However, there's no way Tavares signs for league minimum. Right now he's probably worth ~9m a year.

I knoe a lot have soured on him, but if we're being honest, PPG centers with good face off numbers are pretty rare. If he's around what he is now or even 10% worse, anything under 6m short term is already a great deal for the Leafs. Unlike Spezza, he could probably play for 5ish years after this contract instead of 1-2.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
I think the NHLPA and Matthews are working hand in hand to push the contracts of players to new highs.

I think they are looking at the silly NBA giant contracts handed out to bench players making 15-20 million and they are saying our stars should making more than that.

They are using Matthews as the front runner to push the envelope.

The nhlpa wants players to make more money? Wild.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I think the NHLPA and Matthews are working hand in hand to push the contracts of players to new highs.

I think they are looking at the silly NBA giant contracts handed out to bench players making 15-20 million and they are saying our stars should making more than that.

They are using Matthews as the front runner to push the envelope.
I mean, as shitty as it could be for our cap and team building, it's the same as a lot of corporate jobs where the owner/CEO makes outrageous money compared to the workers who do the heavy lifting. I can't blame Matthews or any other star for wanting to make as much $ as possible.

99% of posters on this board would take 15mil/yr if it was offered to them.

Reactions: 3blizzard4

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Funny enough i think dreger said this on overdrive yesterday i think that many were already checking out other coaching job vacancies.

This coming on the heels that Flames are seeking permission to interview Assistant GM Pridham

Report: Flames to pursue permission to interview Maple Leafs AGM Brandon Pridham for GM position

1684467135368.png

The Calgary Flames are expected to request permission to speak with Brandon Pridham, the Toronto Maple Leafs’ assistant general manager responsible for salary cap compliance, for their open general manager position.

Daily Faceoff hockey insider Frank Seravalli reported the news early on Monday morning. The Flames have been operating without a permanent general manager since April 17, when the club mutually agreed to part ways with Brad Treliving.

Pridham, 49, has been with the Maple Leafs since 2014. He joined the club as an assistant to the general manager before being promoted to his current assistant general manager position under Kyle Dubas in 2018.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

CORE PIECE: RETAIN

• Auston Matthews

• Morgan Rielly

CORE PIECE: TRADE/ENTERTAIN OFFERS

• Mitch Marner

• William Nylander

• John Tavares

SECONDARY PIECE: TRADE/ENTERTAIN OFFERS

• Timothy Liljegren

DEPTH PIECE: RETAIN

• Sam Lafferty

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: SIGN

• Noel Acciari

• Luke Schenn

• Ryan O’Reilly

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: WALK

• Alex Kerfoot

• David Kampf

• Michael Bunting

• Wayne Simmonds

• Zach Aston-Reese

• Justin Holl

• Erik Gustafsson

HYPOTHETICAL RETURNS

Toronto trades to Arizona: William Nylander, Timothy Liljegren
Arizona trades to Toronto: Lawson Crouse, Barrett Hayton, 2023 second-rounder

or

Toronto trades to Philadelphia: Mitch Marner, Timothy Liljegren
Philadelphia trades to Toronto: Travis Konecny, Ivan Provorov, 2025 first-rounder, 2023 fourth-rounder

• Wow
Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
This coming on the heels that Flames are seeking permission to interview Assistant GM Pridham

Report: Flames to pursue permission to interview Maple Leafs AGM Brandon Pridham for GM position

View attachment 710158

The Calgary Flames are expected to request permission to speak with Brandon Pridham, the Toronto Maple Leafs’ assistant general manager responsible for salary cap compliance, for their open general manager position.

Daily Faceoff hockey insider Frank Seravalli reported the news early on Monday morning. The Flames have been operating without a permanent general manager since April 17, when the club mutually agreed to part ways with Brad Treliving.

Pridham, 49, has been with the Maple Leafs since 2014. He joined the club as an assistant to the general manager before being promoted to his current assistant general manager position under Kyle Dubas in 2018.
That's nice but I would sincerely doubt they would allow him...cap wizard is necessary unless a replacement plan is worked out.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

CORE PIECE: RETAIN

• Auston Matthews

• Morgan Rielly

CORE PIECE: TRADE/ENTERTAIN OFFERS

• Mitch Marner

• William Nylander

• John Tavares

SECONDARY PIECE: TRADE/ENTERTAIN OFFERS

• Timothy Liljegren

DEPTH PIECE: RETAIN

• Sam Lafferty

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: SIGN

• Noel Acciari

• Luke Schenn

• Ryan O’Reilly

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: WALK

• Alex Kerfoot

• David Kampf

• Michael Bunting

• Wayne Simmonds

• Zach Aston-Reese

• Justin Holl

• Erik Gustafsson

HYPOTHETICAL RETURNS

Toronto trades to Arizona: William Nylander, Timothy Liljegren
Arizona trades to Toronto: Lawson Crouse, Barrett Hayton, 2023 second-rounder

or

Toronto trades to Philadelphia: Mitch Marner, Timothy Liljegren
Philadelphia trades to Toronto: Travis Konecny, Ivan Provorov, 2025 first-rounder, 2023 fourth-rounder

I wouldn't trade Nylander alone for that package. Two B pieces are not equal in value to an A piece. Especially since Arizona would never trade for Nylander unless there was an agreed upon extension. 2nd rounder means very little when you're talking about trading a player of Nylander's calibre.

Philly fans have soured on Provorov a lot and I believe he's mostly living off of name hype at this point. While I like Konecny a lot, Marner can't be dealt for a 60pt forward and a 2nd pairing dman with the same combined caphit. The whole idea of trading Mitch (not a fan of trading him tbh) is to allocate the cap better, not just split it to two players considering Provorov is likely overpaid. Not that finding a trade partner is easy, but if you move Marner you do it to save some cap and bring in somebody who is a similar talent and perceived as just a small step down (Stutzle, Keller, K. Connor, etc.)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Losing Spencer Carbery would be massive blow to Maple Leafs coaching staff

1684468399358.png

Bringing in Spencer Carbery was an incredible decision, but could he be leaving the Maple Leafs already?

When the 40-year-old was hired by Toronto, there was a problem with their power play. They had one of the top first units in the NHL with Mitch Marner, Auston Matthews, John Tavares, William Nylander, and Morgan Rielly, but somehow struggled to get anything going.

In the season before Carbery took over, the Maple Leafs had the 16th-best power play in the entire league, sitting at 20%. Toronto knew it could be better with the players available, so they went out and brought in someone new. They went from being in the middle of the pack to dominating the competition with the 40-year-old coach aboard. The Maple Leafs finished this past season with the NHL’s best power play which scored 27.3% of the time they had the man advantage.

But as quickly as Carbery came in, he might soon be on his way out.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

View attachment 710158

I could be dead wrong, but Pridham seems like the kind of guy that is a career AGM and not aspiring for a GM position. Maybe he's involved more in trades and other things than I realize, but it always seemed like he's just been in the background doing his number crunches instead of actively being involved in all GM duties.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
From the Leaf Report, Mirtle said Quenneville is a name he has heard behind the scenes, but with the Kyle Beach stuff it's unlikely.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
From the Leaf Report, Mirtle said Quenneville is a name he has heard behind the scenes, but with the Kyle Beach stuff it's unlikely.
He definitely has the pedigree and I think temperament to handle the players, along with media savvy techniques but MLSE really likes to steer clear of people with this kind of situations. I am unsure tbh even though he has been the first one I thought of.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Just a note .., Leaf currently have used All their 50 available contracts so any trades and moves would require players IN and players Out taking that into account.

View attachment 709946

With ~15 pending UFAs who dont get paid after the season, I dont see this being an issue

Good to know though, like Easy says it takes care of itself July 1, but always a good number to have tabs on. With the Marlies done too it’s now full off-season mode.

That's nice but I would sincerely doubt they would allow him...cap wizard is necessary unless a replacement plan is worked out.

I’d guess the opposite, if he is interested seems to me teams usually don’t stand in the way of a promotion.

Reactions: Gallagbi

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

There’s a ton going on with the Maple Leafs right now, so much so that it’s hard to know where to begin dissecting their offseason.

A lot of attention is, understandably, on what’s happening at the GM position with Kyle Dubas. The only update I have at this point is that Dubas has met with ownership to try and hammer out an extension, but it remains to be seen if the family reasons he cited on Monday impact those conversations.

It’s possible we get a resolution on that front in the next few days, and if we do, we’ll be back with more analysis of the front office situation.

1. They need another winger to play in the top six, unless you’re excited about more of Calle Jarnkrok there. This is the role vacated by Michael Bunting, who is almost definitely moving on, as outlined here.

2. They have to shift John Tavares over to the wing after his performance down the middle in the playoffs, which was another exclamation point on his limitations there.

3. Tavares to the middle, combined with Ryan O’Reilly, David Kampf and Noel Acciari all going UFA, means there’s a big chasm at the center position on this roster. If (or, realistically, when) you’re trading one of the big-name wingers, you’re going to need someone who can play down the middle coming back.

4. The Leafs need another top four defenseman, too. And it’s worth debating whether Mark Giordano should be in the top six at this point, given he’ll need a helluva lot more load management next season.

5. Joseph Woll absolutely earned the backup role. And the Leafs wisely signed him for a bargain prior to his breakout season.

Assuming the salary cap rises by only $1 million (which is not guaranteed at this point), this Leafs roster is just shy of $20 million under the salary cap, with 15 players signed: eight forwards, six defensemen and one goaltender.

That said, what I find fascinating about the challenge here for the Leafs GM in the coming weeks is that the canvas is somewhat blank. If they move one of their big-ticket players, they could be reshuffling close to 40 percent of their cap allocation in a single offseason. They are not, as has been the case in the past, capped out.

The trick, however, is going to be doing all that shuffling while keeping this a contending, 110-point team next season. And, more importantly, evolving them into a contending team that performs more convincingly in the postseason.

As I said off the top, there’s a long way to go here, and the biggest questions revolve around Dubas’ future and moving out top-end talent.
But even down the roster there are some intriguing questions that need to be addressed. And some of the most important openings in the lineup are directly related to the big swing transactions they’ll need to attempt in the next six weeks.

It almost goes without saying at this point, but this is going to be a truly fascinating offseason in Toronto. Buckle up.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020

10 years ago I could believe someone could redeem himself from some past failings just about anywhere. Today, I'm not so sure. The media and NHL front offices are increasingly populated with individuals who don't forget, don't forgive and see it as a holy mission to hector someone marked as enemy until they're unfit for employment.

Here's a thought: if Joel Quenneville were to be hired as Leafs' coach perhaps the organization could also see fit to offer a position in scouting or community service to Kyle Beach.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
To LA Kings: Mitch Marner

To Toronto Maple Leafs:
Quinton Byfield
Alex Iafallo
Sean Durzi or Matt Roy
2024 top-10 protected 1st

Flame away….. too much, too little flame away but add something of value to it beyond “that sucks” or “bwahahaha” because that’s just lame. :)

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Good to know though, like Easy says it takes care of itself July 1, but always a good number to have tabs on. With the Marlies done too it’s now full off-season mode.

I’d guess the opposite, if he is interested seems to me teams usually don’t stand in the way of a promotion.
Although I agree with you there have been instances where they have rejected the poaching of Dubas at times and other positions. Especially at a time when the front office isn't fully set, it would be working backward, would it not?

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Although I agree with you there have been instances where they have rejected the poaching of Dubas at times and other positions. Especially at a time when the front office isn't fully set, it would be working backward, would it not?
I was trying to remember who it was that there was chatter about the Leafs not allowing.. Dubas to L.A. 5-6 years ago, was that it?

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I was trying to remember who it was that there was chatter about the Leafs not allowing.. Dubas to L.A. 5-6 years ago, was that it?
It was the AVs. Sakic was being moved to Shanny position iirc.
To LA Kings: Mitch Marner

To Toronto Maple Leafs:
Quinton Byfield
Alex Iafallo
Sean Durzi or Matt Roy
2024 top-10 protected 1st

Flame away….. too much, too little flame away but add something of value to it beyond “that sucks” or “bwahahaha” because that’s just lame. :)
I actually like this tbh and I think is around what we would be going for but then again it might not fly well with the kings fan.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Something to take into consideration.,

What about from today until July 1st with the draft and trying to move a potential big piece prior to NMC kicking in July 1st?

You couldn't trade Marner in a 3 for 1 deal in return.. ex. Marner + pending UFA rights to Bunting + Marlie contract for 3 new players. :wg:

Any move at entry draft could not be acquiring a player for a draft pick without also tossing an outgoing contract in return.

After July 1st things are fine.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Something to take into consideration.,

What about from today until July 1st with the draft and trying to move a potential big piece prior to NMC kicking in July 1st?

You couldn't trade Marner in a 3 for 1 deal in return.. ex. Marner + pending UFA rights to Bunting + Marlie contract for 3 new players. :wg:

Any move at entry draft could not be acquiring a player for a draft pick without also tossing an outgoing contract in return.

After July 1st things are fine.
The priority of our Brass would be

1. GM
2. Matthews Re-signed
3. Trade/Coaching change.

The thing about MLSE is they legit don't care about what we think or the media thinks, as long as they believe they are doing the right thing for the Leafs.

The clarity of Matthews signed up long term will give a good vision for the future don't you think?

I am definitely anxiously waiting, from what I was told it would be cleared before the weekend but I don't know anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad