2021 Roster Thread XIX - Who's In Net

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Seth Jones is used as a #1. Any team that acquires him for a king's ransom will continue to use him as a #1. It's not an evaluation of how he does in that usage. What a dull conversation.

What would you think a realistic deal would be for him, Ghost and this years 1st ?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
So no one really answered me,but did Jones have a down year statistically, or has he always looked bad analytically?

He's had 3 down years in a row, not 1. This past year was just horrible, and not even team related necessarily. He was surely better before that tiny 3 year sample; there's a future where Jones can bounce back to that -- top pair caliber (playing with a Werenski-talent) but probably not elite on his own. "Bad analytically" is too vague. He's good at some things, usually the louder things (shooting, rushes, cycle defense); mediocre at others, usually the subtler things (gap control, playmaking, driving play).

What would you think a realistic deal would be for him, Ghost and this years 1st ?

Realistic? It's Myers or Sanheim, depending on how much Chuck wants to get f***ed. Then probably #13 and Brink/Zamula caliber prospect. Then a $70 mil contract. Desperation adds flavor.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
So no one really answered me,but did Jones have a down year statistically, or has he always looked bad analytically?

His performance has not matched the 'hype' or impression that he's a top defender in this league for at least the past three seasons, I believe. This last season was likely an outlier of extremely poor performance, but I also don't know that I would ever expect him to return to a 'Norris' level of play either.

He isn't a terrible player, but he isn't an elite one, either. There's very few people here who wouldn't take a player like Jones on their team. The issue is the assets you have to give to acquire him and then the contract you give him.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I mean there are measurable results confirming my stance and there aren't measurable results confirming your stance, which is probably why you've elected to go with "his coach uses him a lot" as proof despite there being an endless list of players overused by coaches.

How do you measure coach assignments tho? Barrie was downright ass under Babs then got better under O Keefe(i think)

Now Barrie looks legit under Tippet.

How can you measure those differences?

There's a reason Torts used him how he did despite the data that he has access to aswell

Reactions: The Madrigal

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Or look at Tanev in Vancouver and Calgary. Four awful seasons, suddenly he's a solid D-man again.

My mantra is from GG Box: "All models are wrong, some models are useful."

My suspicion is that NHL coaches aren't dunces, that teams now have metrics that aren't available to the general public, and evaluations are more than just public analytics.

In other words, Jones is unlikely to be elite, but is probably better than his metrics indicate.
But that will still mean he's not worth a substantial asset plus a 8x8 contract.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
How do you measure coach assignments tho? Barrie was downright ass under Babs then got better under O Keefe(i think)

Now Barrie looks legit under Tippet.

How can you measure those differences?

There's a reason Torts used him how he did despite the data that he has access to aswell

I'm actually taking that into account too. Is Tortorella a bad fit? He may be.

I know for a fact that AV is a bad fit though. And if Fletcher is as married to this coaching staff as he so far has indicated he is, that's a big problem considering the cap hit Jones will command.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Is David Desharnais a free agent this year?
Screenshot_20210629-175904_Chrome.jpg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

From when I watched him going back to Nashville, he kind of plateaued early. He had the potential to be a true #1 and Norris contender, but it didn't come to be. He has one great year. The last couple have been lesser years. He's basically more of what we already have; good but flawed players. And that's fine. I think he upgrades Myers or Hagg. Unfortunately, he's going to come with a high price tag and high ongoing cap cost. And he isn't good enough to justify that.

I thought he'd be another Josi in terms of impact, but he's followed the Flyers dman curve.

Reactions: renberg and Redpath

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
From when I watched him going back to Nashville, he kind of plateaued early. He had the potential to be a true #1 and Norris contender, but it didn't come to be. He has one great year. The last couple have been lesser years. He's basically more of what we already have; good but flawed players. And that's fine. I think he upgrades Myers or Hagg. Unfortunately, he's going to come with a high price tag and high ongoing cap cost. And he isn't good enough to justify that.

I thought he'd be another Josi in terms of impact, but he's followed the Flyers dman curve.

I don't think he'll cost that much, you can't make trades predicated on signing a player, so he's a one year rental.
And as such, he's not going to garner a king's ransom given his current cap hit.
Nor has his camp given any sense that he'd forgo free agency, if so, I doubt Philly is the right team to get that commitment.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
[QUOTE="deadhead, post: 178974278, member: 220865"]I don't think he'll cost that much, you can't make trades predicated on signing a player, so he's a one year rental.
And as such, he's not going to garner a king's ransom given his current cap hit.
Nor has his camp given any sense that he'd forgo free agency, if so, I doubt Philly is the right team to get that commitment.[/QUOTE]

Pacioretty cost Suzuki(grade A prospect) and Tatar

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't think he'll cost that much, you can't make trades predicated on signing a player, so he's a one year rental.
Nor has his camp given any sense that he'd forgo free agency, if so, I doubt Philly is the right team to get that commitment.

Our GM is Fletcher. He will overpay.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Pacioretty cost Suzuki(grade A prospect) and Tatar

Tatar was probably to even up salaries, Suzuki and a 2nd was the core of the deal. Tatar had 30, 38 and 21 ES points the three previous seasons.
Turned out he was a bargain, but I don't think they expected what they got the first two years after the trade from him. He had 3yr/$16M left on his contract when he was traded.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm highly skeptical of that. Fletcher happily kept Yeo too long too.

Dave Scott cares about one thing and its not Fletcher or AV.

It's profit.

The fanbase is already on edge right now. Its not just here. Check the comments whenever their official accounts post on social media. Its ugly. Profits will dry up quick if the on-ice performance matches last season.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
His performance has not matched the 'hype' or impression that he's a top defender in this league for at least the past three seasons, I believe. This last season was likely an outlier of extremely poor performance, but I also don't know that I would ever expect him to return to a 'Norris' level of play either.

He isn't a terrible player, but he isn't an elite one, either. There's very few people here who wouldn't take a player like Jones on their team. The issue is the assets you have to give to acquire him and then the contract you give him.

He is, however, a truly terrible person.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Dave Scott cares about one thing and its not Fletcher or AV.

It's profit.

The fanbase is already on edge right now. Its not just here. Check the comments whenever their official accounts post on social media. Its ugly. Profits will dry up quick if the on-ice performance matches last season.

If he cares that much then the coaching staff wouldn't be intact.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Or look at Tanev in Vancouver and Calgary. Four awful seasons, suddenly he's a solid D-man again.

You said this the other week, and it didn't fly then. He had two below average seasons, and one was due to horrific offensive impact not defensive (and he's as defensive defenseman as it gets). He's had a lengthy injury history too, and those years cover age 29-30, not 24-26. He signed a 4 year/$18 mil contract as a UFA -- definitely some risk. But "four awful seasons" is just making it up. And if you reply with any cherrypicked stats, this will be my response in advance, deady: "Not sure you can trust those advanced metrics."

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If he cares that much then the coaching staff wouldn't be intact.

He gave them the one year mulligan because they didnt have to worry about ticket sales last season. We only had a handful of home games with fans in attendance and they couldnt even sell out with a capacity limit of approx 3,000. They also shoveled the goaltending and covid excuses onto Scotts desk. Im guessing none of those will fly next season. They'll need to put up or shut up (they'll shut up).

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
He gave them the one year mulligan because they didnt have to worry about ticket sales last season. We only had a handful of home games with fans in attendance and they couldnt even sell out with a capacity limit of approx 3,000. They also shoveled the goaltending and covid excuses onto Scotts desk. Im guessing none of those will fly next season. They'll need to put up or shut up (they'll shut up).

Is that true? Interesting.

I have to give their marketing team some credit, they have been trying the last few years when the actual product hasn't been that good. Next year is big one for GM, and HC. Produce or likely walking the plank.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Is that true? Interesting.

I have to give their marketing team some credit, they have been trying the last few years when the actual product hasn't been that good. Next year is big one for GM, and HC. Produce or likely walking the plank.

Yup. Reporting has been limited but one example would be the May 2nd Sat night game vs the Devils.

In front of a listed attendance of 2,683 — a limited capacity for limited standards — the Flyers lost to the Devils, 4-1, Saturday night at the Wells Fargo Center.

With under three minutes to play in regulation, a fan in attendance shouted, "C'mon, this is embarrassing!"

'I'm not too sure what to say' — Flyers at a loss by another loss to the Devils

Reactions: Ironmanrulez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad