2021 Roster Thread XIX - Who's In Net

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I knew you'd do this. I knew you'd miss the point on purpose and try to act like I'm comparing MacD and Jones.

What I'm doing is showing you that coaches are not infallible beings. They make errors. Holding up coaching usage of players as any objective measure of player value is nonsense.

The fact is that numerous players outplayed MacDonald and got less time and less prominent usage. Similarly, Jones has been outplayed by teammates and yet he's been treated like he's been better than he has been. Jones usage is based on reputation, not actual results. Just like Provorov.

Coaches aren't gods. They're often wrong. They often function like inefficient pre-moneyball baseball managers working on gut feelings and accomplishments long in the past, rather than objective analysis of results.

Jones' usage is a reason to criticize Torts, not a reason to pretend Jones is secretly better than he's been.

It's funny to see the people who complain the most about Ghost and Sanheim clamor to add someone on their tier who will cost twice as much. And then grasping at desperate and nonsensical things to justify this lust.
Coaches aren't gods and neither are message board posters.

Sure Torts could've been wrong to think Jones was their best all around defenseman over Werenski and Savard (and Gavrikov),

You and other posters also could be wrong in saying he wasn't.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Four playoffs in his first four full seasons after arriving mid-season on a below-.500 team. (Missed playoffs this season on a lame duck squad.) A 108 point season. 98 and 97 point seasons. The last team to beat Tampa Bay in the playoffs (sweeping them in 18/19). Beating Toronto in the bubble last season. All while playing on teams that no one would mistake for the Tampa Bay Lightning or Colorado Avalanche.
Of which he had little impact towards. His presence on the ice did not make his team more dangerous.

iLpnthO.jpg

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i don't much have a dog in this fight. Would Jones help the Flyers..most likely..is he the best thing since sliced bread..not in a long shot. But there is no way in hell..that i am giving up Farabee, as i seen rumored, in a trade for less than sliced bread

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Coaches aren't gods and neither are message board posters.

Sure Torts could've been wrong to think Jones was their best all around defenseman over Werenski and Savard (and Gavrikov),

You and other posters also could be wrong in saying he wasn't.

I mean there are measurable results confirming my stance and there aren't measurable results confirming your stance, which is probably why you've elected to go with "his coach uses him a lot" as proof despite there being an endless list of players overused by coaches.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
And the media and idiot casual fans will worship them for it.

Imagine the celebrations if they manage a first round victory.

Screams of jubilation and the clinking of glasses will be heard throughout the land.

That’s the thing with organizations valuing and paying guys like Hayes and Jones to be something they aren’t. It’s ohhh so predictable.

That dream of making the playoffs, man we are so close to that ultimate goal.

Calgary East.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
This is truth and I cannot verbalize how deeply I hate it.

When the Wright brothers were out there trying to perfect flight, you’ve got Chuck standing outside with a kite proclaiming how amazing it is.

The little camera used for colonoscopies is more of a visionary.

-You’ve got Pietrangelo and I’ll bet my as Chuck didn’t make a play.
-Panarin, and I’ll bet my ass he didn’t make a play.
-Number of quality coaches available this summer, and I’ll bet my ass he didn’t explore it.
-Eichel available?
-Hamilton available?

Dead man walking, nothing more.

Last edited:

snoop88

Apr 15, 2012
They wanted Pietrangelo and tried to make it happen.

Petro just had zero interest in coming here to be a part of this mediocrity. His heart was set on Vegas.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
i don't much have a dog in this fight. Would Jones help the Flyers..most likely..is he the best thing since sliced bread..not in a long shot. But there is no way in hell..that i am giving up Farabee, as i seen rumored, in a trade for less than sliced bread
There were also rumors Farabee is the only untouchable on the team, but since everyone else here is running around with their hair on fire, you might as well pretend he's gone and light your locks.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I mean there are measurable results confirming my stance and there aren't measurable results confirming your stance, which is probably why you've elected to go with "his coach uses him a lot" as proof despite there being an endless list of players overused by coaches.
That depends on how much stock you put into these "measurable results." They don't "confirm" anything because they, just like coaches and message board posters, are far from infallible.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
When the Wright brothers were out there trying to perfect flight, you’ve got Chuck standing outside with a kite proclaiming how amazing it is.

The little camera used for colonoscopies is more of a visionary.

-You’ve got Pietrangelo and I’ll bet my as Chuck didn’t make a play.
-Panarin, and I’ll bet my ass he didn’t make a play.
-Number of quality coaches available this summer, and I’ll bet my ass he didn’t explore it.
-Eichel available?
-Hamilton available?

Dead man walking, nothing more.
Supposedly there was an east coast team that was interested in Pietrangelo. I believe some have said publicly it was/heard it was Philly.

Panarin was set on New York. I’m not defending chuck but we have no idea if they contacted the agent or not. I would assume yes because as GM you have to contact anyone of that caliber.

I remember wanting Coach Q and some around here shit on that idea….. again now they look like asses because he was high and above what was out there.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Supposedly there was an east coast team that was interested in Pietrangelo. I believe some have said publicly it was/heard it was Philly.

Panarin was set on New York. I’m not defending chuck but we have no idea if they contacted the agent or not. I would assume yes because as GM you have to contact anyone of that caliber.

I remember wanting Coach Q and some around here shit on that idea….. again now they look like asses because he was high and above what was out there.

I would bet anything every single GM has called about Jones, they would be fired if they didn't. Doesn't mean they should trade for him, but of course they call to gauge the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad