Salary Cap: 2020-21 Lightning Roster Discussion | Part 2

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I liked Dotchin a lot. Had he shown up to camp in shape - both mentally and physically - we'd be happy with him.
He already had a pretty mediocre sophomore season after being carried to success by Hedman.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Maybe we have to lower our expectations. What if we can only keep one of the three RFAs? Who’d you keep?

Sergachev: arguably the most talented out of the three
Cernak: guess he’d be our #1 RD
Cirelli: what’s his real face? Selke Tony C or playoff celery?

Great and important question...
I have another one... Celery... Could it be possible that he was one of our 3 cases of positives to Covid-19? Because, in this case, it's clear the reason why he played quite poorly in the post season...

hollandhouse

Aug 28, 2016
Tampa
Just my two cents:

I think JBB does not have to clout SY did, but ultimately it wont matter. When you hear statements like the "league wont help" I think thats other GM's simply waiting to see if JBB does something rook"ish" or erratic. As much as I want this fixed asap, I think this is simply going to take a longgggg time. At the end of the day the lightning still have the upper hand with the RFA's - if salary is a concern overall then it is a concern for these RFA's (which I think may lead to some very very short bridge deals 1-2 yrs) and also Johnson still is a 40-50 point center playing less minutes then he would else where with a real salary lower then his cap hit. As the FA market thins gms on teams that need cap dollars will come running.

I really would like to see JBB clean "salary" house and no NOT STAMMER. These team has had talent out the a-- for years and didnt win the cup - I genuinely know that Stammer and his presence and his bond with Tampa Bay cannot be replaced and will make this team have "heartless" talent. Its like the core of the Yankees in the past. I think - yes i know I will get ripped - they can lose Kucherov and have less of an effect on the win/loss record then Stammer. I love Kuch - I have his jersey and I know he is more talented - my argument is about the intangibles.

I would like to see the following go in a "Salary" rebuild even for limited return in order of priority to move on from:

Johnson
Gourde
Palat (sell high on a playoff run)
Killorn (may have moved from 1 - 4 based on his bond with the locals after the cup)

I think Paquette and Coburn are on the fringe - but who cares - move the big salaries and keep these role players around - they dont cost much and they know the system. Vasy will be the highest paid goalie int he league soon (as other salaries fall off for other goalies) and it is hard to win the salary cap battle when your goaltenders will be paid 12 million total. There is one way to do it....

This team will ONLY succeed in multiple years if they reduce salary and have 3-4 new rookies (ala TJ, Kuch, Palat) step up and be low cost producers for 3-4 years.

Keep the team young, even if you have to sacrifice those four veterans, Stammer and Kuch as Forward Vets, Hedman and Mcd as D Vets.

The league and the GM's want to see JBB panic. What is panicking in my eyes? Selling Stammer and Mcd. I hate Mcd contract but you move him in a few years not yet. With the right core and youth this team can win more cups.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Something interesting that Friedman said on the most recent 31 Thoughts podcast, was that he got the sense that Brisebois didn't want to trade Killorn.

Could it be that Johnson and Stamkos are the two guys he wants to move on from? I can't imagine he'd prefer to move Gourde or Palat over Killorn. Moving Johnson and Coburn won't be enough to sign everyone either.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Something interesting that Friedman said on the most recent 31 Thoughts podcast, was that he got the sense that Brisebois didn't want to trade Killorn.

Could it be that Johnson and Stamkos are the two guys he wants to move on from? I can't imagine he'd prefer to move Gourde or Palat over Killorn. Moving Johnson and Coburn won't be enough to sign everyone either.
Besides Stammer, we don't really know who was dealing with injuries during the playoffs. Killorn had a good regular season, but he may have had an issue with something in the playoffs, which is normally the time he shows up biggest for.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Besides Stammer, we don't really know who was dealing with injuries during the playoffs. Killorn had a good regular season, but he may have had an issue with something in the playoffs, which is normally the time he shows up biggest for.
I think it's time we stop seeing Killorn as someone who always steps up big in the playoffs. He hasn't really had that good of a playoff run since 2016.

Reactions: Zwui21 and PJ817

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Cirelli is the one we can expend most easily.

Sadly this. I love Cirelli and want to keep him. Part of me says we need him more than any of the other rfas but we are pretty good up the middle. Even Johnson can play that role pretty well in Cirelli's absence. We can probably get a pretty good prospect for Cirelli right now and that would help retool the pipeline a little bit. I'm hoping we find a way to keep him. Maybe if we wait some of this early panic some teams are having and a little later in the offseason we have some more suitors that want to improve their team. However that has sounded like the opposite thing we should do the way nobody has wanted to spend too much cap besides a few teams.

I'm just wondering if we don't see a few teams get antsy later on and want to do something to improve their team. We did just win the cup and having a guy fresh off the cup is valuable as we have seen. Also get a hungry player ready to prove himself as the guy the Champs shouldn't have shipped off. I'm wondering that while right now is trying times but some gms are using this to try to get as best of deal as they can and with some patience may be able to get a better deal than now.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

gourde and palat make more then killorn and wouldn’t probably return higher value in a trade if they waived there ntc to move ?

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
gourde and palat make more then killorn and wouldn’t probably return higher value in a trade if they waived there ntc to move ?
There value couldn't be higher right now. For all three. Killorn had 20 goals, gourde and pally looked great in the playoffs

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Todd, this could be a realistic scenario.
Imho, it's way better than trade Stamkos. Was better.
Stamkos must finish his career with us.

might be our best option trade killorn for a 3rd rounder and trade cirell for a 1st and a 3rd and go in a semi rebuild mode kind of reload our prospects.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
might be our best option trade killorn for a 3rd rounder and trade cirell for a 1st and a 3rd and go in a semi rebuild mode kind of reload our prospects.
Yes...in case we'd have many interesting picks that could be very helpful in the future.
I want to ask JFBB only one thing: don't trade the Captain. Please, make Friedman and McKenzie statements be only bull*.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad