OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I want Connor Joe off this team so god damn badly.

I know it's just coincidence but this team has really been feeling off since Gonzales got hurt. He wasn't hitting the ball that well, but his reliability with RISP is something this team really misses.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Pitching is great, and then there's no clutch hitting.

Then the hitters hit, and there's crap pitching. We can't put it together.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Paul Skenes talking to the media.

More like:

Where What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse Comes From

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Any money they spend in winter better be for a hitter
I don’t even care to watch none Keller and Skenes starts. Jones will get Gonzales out of rotation

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
On one level I think Shelton yet again demonstrated that he's out of his depths last night. Letting Bae bat in the 9th and then Grandal bat in the 10th with Bart and BDLC on the bench was absurd. I can't really kill him for using Holderman since they were basically out of guys, but to allow the same relief pitcher to accumulate 4 losses in 8 days is pretty egregious in general. He may be a swell guy who the players love but tactically he's Mike Tomlin bad.

There's this gem from last night after the game:

Doubt anyone in the media followed up, but OPS against LHP in 2024:

Bart - 1.123

Grandal - .529

Shelton just has to go. He's a moron.

With that said, and while I'd fully support a managerial change, the roster just isn't there. One can argue that the collapses of Hayes, Suwinski, and kind of Bednar weren't expected, the fact you have what was a theoretically a critical game and your lineup is 5-9 is hitting .191, .242, .186,, .196, and .199 is comedy. People have argued with me about the BDLC acquisition, but the bigger issue with it than the fact he's not helping them this year is that they'll almost certainly view RF as addressed headed into the offseason, creating another dead spot in the lineup. We could go into 2025 with a top 5 rotation in baseball but lose 85 games again because there's really very little path to a competitive offense given the current roster, what's in the system, and what they are likely to invest.

Last edited:

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
It's actually kind of insane that we immediately managed to lose two games that were more demoralizing than what happened on Sunday. The way this team goes, kind of expect a win today because that would be doing just enough to avoid the total worst case scenario from this homestand.

A big hangup I have about Shelton and/or Haines besides the question of who would end up being better rather than different is that if they were fired, then that would be a good bet to be a stand-in for the major offseason change.

I'm not sure if that's a fair point to the criticism being levied at them and I don't mean it in that way, but I've seen other people raise this point and I think it's true. It would give them cover to say "we will run back this incredibly talented young roster with more on the way under different leadership".

They either grow a pair and trade good prospects for an actually above average regular or they pay more than other teams for Santander (whose profile is the kind of guy that big market teams don't pay).

Reactions: ehill613

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Only one team in major league baseball loses that game and that's the worst franchise in sports. The Pittsburgh Pirates.
You clearly have not watched the White Sox. That is the worst team I have ever seen, and I have seen all the Pirates teams over the last several decades.

It's actually kind of insane that we immediately managed to lose two games that were more demoralizing than what happened on Sunday. The way this team goes, kind of expect a win today because that would be doing just enough to avoid the total worst case scenario from this homestand.

A big hangup I have about Shelton and/or Haines besides the question of who would end up being better rather than different is that if they were fired, then that would be a good bet to be a stand-in for the major offseason change.

I'm not sure if that's a fair point to the criticism being levied at them and I don't mean it in that way, but I've seen other people raise this point and I think it's true. It would give them cover to say "we will run back this incredibly talented young roster with more on the way under different leadership".

They either grow a pair and trade good prospects for an actually above average regular or they pay more than other teams for Santander (whose profile is the kind of guy that big market teams don't pay).
Haines makes no one better. He has to go. Of course, that would be Cherington admitting he f***ed up, so it isn't going to happen.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
So what do you want to see happen over the winter
I am going to operate under Davis or Reynolds being the 1st baseman men and they rotate the DH spot instead of paying a pure DH
I am going to operate with our rotation being Skenes Keller Jones Falter and Oviedo putting Ortiz as the long man and Harrington Ashcraft and Burrows next to be called up from indy.
We need a LF CF IKF will be a super sub and play everyday some spell guys at multiple positions
Endy and Bart are the catchers

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

If they don't do something major, like when they signed Russell Martin and traded for AJ Burnett. They will lose a massive amount of interest.

IMO, they need to sign at least two bats of significance and couple of other bench players. As well as add a decent veteran pitcher to the rotation, like a Jack Flaherty type. Falter has been decent this season but he has been hurt and thus has only made like 16 starts.

Jared Jones will at best pitch like 120 innings. So that means next season he can only go like 160? Ortiz this season will pitch like 120 innings at most. They need another Keller type guy for #3.

Forgot about Oviedo....

Reactions: Coastal Kev

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
It was a lot brighter a week ago when we were 1 game back

Being FOUR back now... They'll need to win 9 in a row

We can't even play 9 innings in a row

Such a disappointing turn this is taking... Yes yes i know we're perennial losers but:

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad