Salary Cap: 2020-21 Lightning Roster Discussion | Part 2

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I ... lest I get flayed ... JBB is an ass. Sure he added pieces we needed to get over the hump & congrats to him on that (and all of us because hellllz to the yassss, we ARE the SC Freaking Champions).

However, it was NOT JBB that convinced everyone to take lesser deals than value (hi there Kuch, Vasy, Point) ... it was Yzerman.

Yzerman got things done, imo, because people know and like him. Much like in the real world: who are you likely to deal with people you like and trust? or assssssholes who think in their smug ways they're smarter than you?

I have met the man and that was my impression of him then and now. Smug douche who thinks he knows it all and can command what he wants because he's JFBB... didn't I know?!

And ya'll see what's happening in DET?! Yzerplan at work again - he gets what he wants/needs because why? People simply like and respect the guy.

I didn't realize BriseBois gave Johnson a 7 year deal at 5M per coming off 38 and 45 point seasons while missing time with injuries and also throwing in a full NTC for the first 4 years.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Bwaaaahhhhh hahahahahaha if the league was actually conspiring against the Lightning it would be the greatest thing ever. You got those bitches so shook because you won the title that you started an unprecedented haters club.

I don't think that's what's happening here but if it was it's gonna be that much better when we repeat

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
I didn't realize BriseBois gave Johnson a 7 year deal at 5M per coming off 38 and 45 point seasons while missing time with injuries and also throwing in a full NTC for the first 4 years.
and that has to do with what exactly? Johnson wasn't acquired in a trade... maybe you didn't know that

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean - throw in the first next year. That will probably get it done.

Issue is what teams Johnson has on his list. But I don't care about draft picks.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Small plan:

Is Gourde so much better than Johnson? He might fetch something good, small and cheap in return.

Next step could be offering Cernak his UFA status as soon as possible, three more seasons (only) at a discount. Free meals at Tampas best restaurants included.

Finally Serge OR Cirelli is signed. Whoever fits under the cap. Let's say Sergachev.

Now only one of the following must go, take into account what may come in return.

Palat
Killorn
Cirelli

The last is where it hurts. ONE (anyways rather expensive) player (except Gourde). But hey, Stamkos is back!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am NOT suggesting Kucherov for Zibanejad, only that it's mindblowing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is Cirelli and Cernak for Bouchard (and something) out of the question? Edmonton must do a little dealing and wheeling for this to happen. OR Cirelli and Cernak and a pick for Mike Anderson and Kempe (C) etc.

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I think part of it is just that Johnson and Killorn is most teams like plan D or E, so actually as these other guys get signed a deal suddenly becomes more likely with the losers of whatever sweepstakes.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Small plan:

Is Gourde so much better than Johnson?
He might fetch something good, small and cheap in return.

Next step could be offering Cernak his UFA status as soon as possible, three more seasons (only) at a discount. Free meals at Tampas best restaurants included.

Finally Serge OR Cirelli is signed. Whoever fits under the cap. Let's say Sergachev.

Now only one of the following must go, take into account what may come in return.

Palat
Killorn
Cirelli

The last is where it hurts. ONE (anyways rather expensive) player (except Gourde). But hey, Stamkos is back!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am NOT suggesting Kucherov for Zibanejad, only that it's mindblowing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is Cirelli and Cernak for Bouchard (and something) out of the question? Edmonton must do a little dealing and wheeling for this to happen. OR Cirelli and Cernak and a pick for Mike Anderson and Kempe (C) etc.
Well......in the playoffs he was 1000% better.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
and that has to do with what exactly? Johnson wasn't acquired in a trade... maybe you didn't know that

We are in cap trouble because of a player Yzerman signed not BriseBois. Yzerman also signed McDonagh to a long term deal with a NTC. It was actually BriseBois who got Point signed to his bridge deal not Yzerman. Clearly you are a Yzerman nuthugger and he can't do no wrong with you that's fine. I'm sure washed up Bobby Ryan and Marc Staal are going to be a big help along sides the likes of Vlad Namestnikov and Jon Merrill, watch out for the wings.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Trade Killer and Johnson together and give them a 1st and 2nd

Will get you this, actually not too shabby.

Palat - Point - Kucherov
Coleman - Gourde - Stamkos
Maroon - Cirelli - Johnson
Goodrow - Paquette - Volkov
Joseph - Stephens

Hedman - Cernak
Sergachev - McDonagh
Coburn - Foote
Schenn

Vasilevkiy
McElhinney

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Got a Blues fan to agree to Cirelli for Kyrou+Kostin. Both have at least 2 years on their ELCs. Considering the circumstances, do we like that trade? Kyrou is about PPG in the AHL. Not sure about Kostin, but I feel like I remember there being some pretty decent upside for him before he was drafted.

Mar 20, 2010
Got a Blues fan to agree to Cirelli for Kyrou+Kostin. Both have at least 2 years on their ELCs. Considering the circumstances, do we like that trade? Kyrou is about PPG in the AHL. Not sure about Kostin, but I feel like I remember there being some pretty decent upside for him before he was drafted.

If the goal is to keep Sergachev, think JBB should try to get back draft pick(s) that can be used to dump a salary.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
GMs on CapFriendly when they see Connor McDavid listed with the Lightning after Tyler Johnson's legal name change goes through.
OwgSDbR.jpg

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
If the goal is to keep Sergachev, think JBB should try to get back draft pick(s) that can be used to dump a salary.
ELC contracts that are expansion exempt can be used to dump salary, if you're really stuck on that point.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Kostin is no better than Raddysh so there's no need for him while Raddysh is also a right shot RW while Kostin is a lefty. No need for him. So Kyrou for Cirelli is what it comes down to which is a big no from me. While Kyrou is a very good AHL scorer I don't know if he's going to be similar in the NHL. He's probably a 2nd line RW but Cirelli is a 2nd line C with Selke defense. I don't see both teams as good trading partners but if there was a trade it would be Cirelli for Thomas. Essentially a 2C for a 2C, we get the more offensive one they get the defensive. The deal ideally helps our cap situation for one year while Thomas is still on his ELC then we are in the same position next year but we don't downgrade this year.

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
Kostin is no better than Raddysh so there's no need for him while Raddysh is also a right shot RW while Kostin is a lefty. No need for him. So Kyrou for Cirelli is what it comes down to which is a big no from me. While Kyrou is a very good AHL scorer I don't know if he's going to be similar in the NHL. He's probably a 2nd line RW but Cirelli is a 2nd line C with Selke defense. I don't see both teams as good trading partners but if there was a trade it would be Cirelli for Thomas. Essentially a 2C for a 2C, we get the more offensive one they get the defensive. The deal ideally helps our cap situation for one year while Thomas is still on his ELC then we are in the same position next year but we don't downgrade this year.
My thinking was to get multiple 1stish round quality ELCs for him to restock Syracuse once we bring up ABB and Raddysh (because I don't think we'll get any 1st round picks this year, worth the player selected's weight in gold). I'm not against getting Rob Thomas, but I bet they say no. They've been pumping his tires for years.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Yzerman nuthugger? He built this team. Let's all calm down.

We're in trouble because of BOTH jbb and Yzerman.

We sold our soul. Time to pay
Don't get me wrong, I want to keep Sergachev, Cirelli, and Cernak as much as anyone wants to keep them. However, even if we have to lose them and fill out our roster with league minimum players, we still have Vasilevskiy, Headman, Point, Kucherov, McDonagh, Stamkos, Killorn, Gourde, Goodrow, Coleman, Maroon, and Johnson... I'll take that over any other group of guys in the league... all day, every day, and twice on Sunday. We're not doomed and we're not in trouble. We're still going to be the best team in the league.

I remember this same familiar panic when the Point negotiations drug on for so long and look at how that ended up. We were all blown away by how great of a deal it was.

Be patient my Bolts brethren. We're fine. Like someone else said in this thread... throw in a first round pick and we'll be able to move money out. I don't care about 1st round picks anyway. We find most of our talent later in the draft anyway.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Maybe we have to lower our expectations. What if we can only keep one of the three RFAs? Who’d you keep?

Sergachev: arguably the most talented out of the three
Cernak: guess he’d be our #1 RD
Cirelli: what’s his real face? Selke Tony C or playoff celery?

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Maybe we have to lower expectations. What if we can only keep one of the three RFAs? Who’d you keep?

Sergachev: arguably the most talented out of the three
Cernak: guess he’d be our #1 RD
Cirelli: what’s his real face? Selke Tony C or playoff celery?
That's a tough question as they each have their own unique qualities. For me, personally, I would have to make Sergachev the priority. He's very talented offensively, has grown a lot defensively, and CAN play RD if needed.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Serg is the top priority. While still developing he's getting better in his own zone. We already know how good he is offensively.

Cernak would be #2, imo. Our weakest position is RD and we dont have any depth there at all. Cernak has become a very physical and reliable stay at home, shutdown pairing dman. He's thrown into the fire against any and all top lines and plays PK minutes

Considering how Stamkos slots in at #2C, Cirelli is the most expendable, but obviously we know how good he cam be (playoffs aside). He's one of our est two-way players, hell of a skater and also important on the PK.

Losing any one of these hurts us (but does not currently cripple us)

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
Not only is Sergachev the one with the highest upside, and gods does he feel close to reaching it, but also remember the absolute corpses that we've run on RD and been fine. Jake Dotchin anyone?

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not only is Sergachev the one with the highest upside, and gods does he feel close to reaching it, but also remember the absolute corpses that we've run on RD and been fine. Jake Dotchin anyone?
I don't think we were fine. Having better quality righties is a big part of why our defense was so key in winning this cup.

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
I liked Dotchin a lot. Had he shown up to camp in shape - both mentally and physically - we'd be happy with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad