Salary Cap: 2020-21 Lightning Roster Discussion | Part 2

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Crazy thought but what if JBB goes to the RFAs and asks them to sign cheap one deals (1.25M Cernak, 1.75M Cirelli, 2M Serge) with the promise of a bigger pay next season?

This way we could do only dealing Killorn and Paquette.
We sign some forward to be the 13th man and in defense we sign someone like Del Zotto on a cheap deal. Did it with capfriendly and it works out
I've thought about it. It's difficult to propose such a thing outside of these boards because the mains would just go crazy at the mere idea that players might keep the winning band together one more year. I'd imagine in such a situation that JBB allows the players to negotiate future contracts with the club we trade them to the following year if we can't accommodate their contract demands.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Anthony Cirelli and Erik Cernak for Evan Bouchard is probably only worth it if we can't get Cirelli locked down. I have heard that Bouchard has gotten better, I don't know if Edmonton is interested in Cirelli as they already have their top 6 centers figured out

Today you can't get Cirelli locked down. But you might get Söderberg one season for 1.5 million. McD - Cirelli - Turris.

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
I've thought about it. It's difficult to propose such a thing outside of these boards because the mains would just go crazy at the mere idea that players might keep the winning band together one more year. I'd imagine in such a situation that JBB allows the players to negotiate future contracts with the club we trade them to the following year if we can't accommodate their contract demands.

I love this kind of creativity!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Crazy thought but what if JBB goes to the RFAs and asks them to sign cheap one deals (1.25M Cernak, 1.75M Cirelli, 2M Serge) with the promise of a bigger pay next season?

We sign some forward to be the 13th man and in defense we sign someone like Del Zotto on a cheap deal. Did it with capfriendly and it works out

we can’t pay them more next season cap will still be flat again .

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

Next season one of our big contracts likely gets taken by Seattle and maybe we can trade or buy out the other. Gives us another year with all the fire power and more time to think stuff

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The only thing I can say right now is that we will see the end of this story very soon.
We probably won't. It's always been unlikely that Stamkos moves. The news is that it was even an option. But that seems to be the case.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Next season one of our big contracts likely gets taken by Seattle and maybe we can trade or buy out the other. Gives us another year with all the fire power and more time to think stuff

Signing Sergachev, Cirelli and Cernak at market value takes you about 10 million over the cap limit this season. Somehow the situation will be solved by next season. And that will take place at the start of THIS season. The fan who proposes the the actual actions for that wins a price. Maybe in the form of "futures" to be consumed at bars near a bubble. :)

Last edited:

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
Expose McDonagh to selection by Seattle. Give Seattle TJ for a 7th. That's 11.75M right there. If you really want to load up your RFAs, Palat can go to a team trying to stay on the bubble (could even retain some $ since it would only be for 1 year).

2020 Cup Champions

Nov 26, 2013
Double posting to say, if the RFAs are really cash motivated at that point (let's say we back-to-back, why not chase money?), trade Cirelli for a haul and load up Serg and Cernak.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven

It's not cray at all. It's what I'm hoping he could sell these guys on. But reality can be, well, reality and do they do the team a solid or think of their career first. I don't even want to jinx it so I'm not going to post it but I'm sure you all can figure it out. Weighing the option of a bigger payday in about 2 years vs. financial assurance now.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Kevin Labanc did that for SJ last year and got rewarded for it.

Escrow this year is going to murder everyone, so that's a factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
We probably won't. It's always been unlikely that Stamkos moves. The news is that it was even an option. But that seems to be the case.
Ok but I think we will read very soon news regarding Johnson, maybe Killorn, maybe Coburn, maybe Paquette...
So, after that, it will be official for real that Stammer stays in Tampa.

Reactions: Peacefool

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Ok but I think we will read very soon news regarding Johnson, maybe Killorn, maybe Coburn, maybe Paquette...

LeBrun wrote a piece on the Athletic where he says the same. That Stamkos was approached about if he would be open to a move but he has elected to stay

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
People love their players up until contract negotiations start. Then they're selfish pricks who only care about their own good, lol.

I'll never blame any player for wanting to get paid. At the end of the day it's their job.
I noticed Josh Ho-Sang filed for arbitration this year...

I'll pay full price for The Athletic for the story on what happens inside there.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
The bottom line is we WILL have Point, Kucherov, Stamkos, Headman, Vasilevskiy, McDonagh, Palat, Coleman, Maroon, and Goodrow for sure. That's 10 players...almost half of the entire roster that is almost guaranteed to be here next year. Those 10 players are better than the 10 best players of any other team in this league and I think they're better by a considerable margin as a whole. Will be great if we can manage to work out keeping Sergachev, Cirelli, and Cernak as well as JBB has said is the main priority. I still feel great about the future of this team..

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
I noticed Josh Ho-Sang filed for arbitration this year...

I'll pay full price for The Athletic for the story on what happens inside there.
i think if u download AThletic app u get free access for like one two weeks? At least it was so last summer when i downloaded app.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Dude i hope u are right. Cuz its so boring to sit without news and i wish news were good)) even though i still think we gonna keep all of our RFA`s and fix cap issue. I dont say a word about Stammer,cuz he wont leave. Period. ))

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Expose McDonagh to selection by Seattle. Give Seattle TJ for a 7th. That's 11.75M right there. If you really want to load up your RFAs, Palat can go to a team trying to stay on the bubble (could even retain some $ since it would only be for 1 year).

why when they can select cal foote !

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Having a future 1-2 punch of Point and Cirelli could be a huge deal for us and our future as the core starts to age

Cirelli could get a 1 year and I could see Cernak getting 2 years, while Serg gets 3 and the most money. This also gives JBB more time to get cap back, rather than have all 3 up on the same year and go thru this nightmare again.

Its smart to have these contracts come up again when players like Palat, Gourde, Killorn start to come off the books. Point is covered by Palats in 2 years. I'm not saying he gets all of Palats 5.3m but a chunk of that covers any questions regarding resigning our #1C.

Mar 20, 2010

What kind of offers are Cernak/Cirelli/Sergachev getting next year in your scenario?

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Dude i hope u are right. Cuz its so boring to sit without news and i wish news were good)) even though i still think we gonna keep all of our RFA`s and fix cap issue. I dont say a word about Stammer,cuz he wont leave. Period. ))
Imo, Stammer's news in only a speculation and a thought of the 2 reporters...
Before trading Stamkos, I think JFBB will add also a 1st round pick to trade Johnson...
Ok, we bought out Vinny and we traded MSL...the now the situation is really different.

Reactions: Peacefool and PJ817

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad