2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I know OHL4life seems to think he has a good take on goalie dads...he's obviously never seen a goalie mom!! They're nuts!!!! LOL

I think it's a fairly broad brush to paint goalie dads as being high strung. Like he said, in his "limited experience".

Have you seen FWD parents?? Now that is an absolutely riot to watch and I don't have limited experience being a witness to that. Coaches love the emails they receive from them after every game! LOL

If your home center doesn't have a U16 AAA, I would have done the same as Ingram from the Soo. Not sure I would have moved to the G if I were him....but I would have likely gone to a region with U16 AAA. By the way, Ingram didn't have as noticeable season as I thought he would have had in JRC. Perhaps playing away from home in the G did this...or being considered 2nd to Camputaro all the ttime affected his confidence. But...I really liked Ingram's game last year and noticed he seemed off this season. I still really like his game and would absolutely consider him a good draft.

I can only go by the experience I’ve had in my home association and with the goalie dads we’ve had with my scouting. Career. even on here, who has popped on and dominated the discussion, not fans of ohl teams, goalie dads. I’m not saying it’s a golden rule, I’m just saying what my experience is, others could have different experiences.

you think it’s a bit insulting to goalie dads to generalize, fine, but it’s fairly insulting to scouts across Ontario to suggest we’re too lazy to see poor teams and we’re onto hypnotized by top teams.

the toronto Nats are a bad team in toronto but they have an underage goalie that’s been amazing for them this year. I guess that I’m not supposed to know that because we do t scout bad teams and no goalies on bad teams are good, but here we are. im being very hyperbolic but i hope the point sticks.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The ironic thing with the SOO is that they got awarded the host of the U18 OHF Championships (automatic entry). And if you're really that good, you'd have a chance at the Telus Cup. I believe they also wouldve qualified to play in the OHL Cup for Team NOHA -- which is an automatic OHL Cup Entry. That's 2 premier hockey tournaments across the whole country.
It is somewhat ironic. Unfortunately they never get to play in both tourneys. There is always a conflict every year with the telus cup and the ohl cup. Whichever team wins the gnml can't send players on team noha to the OHL cup. It's a shame really.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024
you think it’s a bit insulting to goalie dads to generalize, fine, but it’s fairly insulting to scouts across Ontario to suggest we’re too lazy to see poor teams and we’re onto hypnotized by top teams.
I never said scouts were lazy...nor did I suggest they were only interested in the top teams. I think you and I may agree about the goalies on Vaughan. I still bet one of these goalies gets drafted, though.

What I said is that a goalie on a top team has more visibility. It's just the nature of being on a good team. It can also work against a goalie by having scouts repeatedly see that they don't face as many shots or grade-A scoring chances. How does a scout assess what they don't see? Do you go to practices where they'll face some great shots from their own team? That would be good! I've never seen one scout at ours and we have a top prospect. I'm not even sure if that's a thing scouts do? If I were scouting...that would be something at the top of my list. I'd want to see these kid in a practice element. Lots to be seen there...work ethic, character, compete level, etc.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I never said scouts were lazy...nor did I suggest they were only interested in the top teams. I think you and I may agree about the goalies on Vaughan. I still bet one of these goalies gets drafted, though.

What I said is that a goalie on a top team has more visibility. It's just the nature of being on a good team. It can also work against a goalie by having scouts repeatedly see that they don't face as many shots or grade-A scoring chances. How does a scout assess what they don't see? Do you go to practices where they'll face some great shots from their own team? That would be good! I've never seen one scout at ours and we have a top prospect. I'm not even sure if that's a thing scouts do? If I were scouting...that would be something at the top of my list. I'd want to see these kid in a practice element. Lots to be seen there...work ethic, character, compete level, etc.
i sat out that year and a few others after, but we had a year where all we did was watch practice, looking at the results it was the worst draft in recent memory.

i guess i get confused as to why being on a middle back team all of a sudden means the goalie gets less attention. ive been on scouting teams where we were happy the player wasnt in the playoffs or the ohl cup, wed seen enough, we didnt want anyone else to clue on in how good the player was. i look at a team like vaughan over the years (im from windsor so i dont have the best feel for the top long term organizations), but they have a ton of good goalies and generally are in the 4-6 range of the gthl standings. very good, but not a top ohl cup team. usually the bottom team at the ohl cup bracket they are in.

so how is it that they can be drafted off of non top teams and be successful if its all about top teams? the best two gthl goalies in the last bit, george and ivankovic, where on lesser teams. i cant remember the last jrc goalie that made the ohl? parents confuse things, scouts will see every team in every situation in their loop, its too long of a season not too. we miss guys, but the u18 draft and lack of ncaa commits from ontario recently show we dont miss that much. there are virtually no ncaa ontario goalies these days.

if your a goalie on a top team doesnt mean your as good as others, and if you look at it, it generally means the opposite. scouts dont go to tournament finals, they dont really worry about tournament mvps etc. goalies on top teams are always at some point tested, against another top team in the loop, a tournament, etc. and in those instances you see what you need to see, the compete level, the talent, if they can overcome a lack of size or are they 5'8 playing like they are 6'2.

hockey, and scouting is a bit weird, ive been doing it for 30 years, id never have the confidence to go up to someone else who has been in a profession over 30 years and tell them that i know how to do their job or pick apart their job like i was an expert, but it happens with scouting and hockey all the time. i was in the trades before retiring, imagine someone coming to me with little experience and telling me everything ive been doing is wrong. imagine me going to someone in lets say wealth management and telling them they are doing it all wrong. its bizarre to me.

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024
Ok...I see your point. Like you, I get that in my business, too.

Would like to know how Edwards' and Croskery's USHL tenders impact their ranking...or should I say, where they ultimately end up going in the draft. How far do they drop and does a team take an early flyer on them? I'm not aware but is it a common occurrence for an Ontario kid to be tendered in the USHL and then return to where they were drafted? Or, perhaps these guys have no intention of going OHL and are simply keeping their NCAA option open.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Ok...I see your point. Like you, I get that in my business, too.

Would like to know how Edwards' and Croskery's USHL tenders impact their ranking...or should I say, where they ultimately end up going in the draft. How far do they drop and does a team take an early flyer on them? I'm not aware but is it a common occurrence for an Ontario kid to be tendered in the USHL and then return to where they were drafted? Or, perhaps these guys have no intention of going OHL and are simply keeping their NCAA option open.
Rangers drafted Hage and he went to the US. They received a comp pick and traded his rights for a 4th rnd pic to Barrie. Looked great in the rookie camp and disappeared after.
His brother is in this next draft. Hope they stay away from him.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Rangers drafted Hage and he went to the US. They received a comp pick and traded his rights for a 4th rnd pic to Barrie. Looked great in the rookie camp and disappeared after.
His brother is in this next draft. Hope they stay away from him.
The rights were traded to the wolves? Drafting USHL tendered Rehkopf worked out though

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The rights were traded to the wolves? Drafting USHL tendered Rehkopf worked out though
Yes my mistake. Old Timers. Some flyers work out simply because their intention was a specific team I guess. Parents , agents and teams cooking deals. Happens every year and will again this year.

Reactions: dirty12

MH

Oct 27, 2023
Last year Moore was drafted by London but went to the USNTDP. If your first round pick doesn't sign you get a compensation pick the next year. A team might pick a guy hoping to convince him to sign but knowing if he doesn't they get a compensation pick in the 1st round next year. Depending on the player, others available, where in the development cycle a team is, a team might take a chance. It's less likely these guys go in rounds 2 and 3 as there is no compensation pick and so it's more important that the team is able to sign players drafted in these rounds.

On the player side there may be teams they don't want to be drafted to and so having an option can impact where they wind up (see Dickinson 2 years ago or Bruszkewicz last year).

Hopefully everyone is upfront before the draft so decisions are made with a full understanding.

Yes my mistake. Old Timers. Some flyers work out simply because their intention was a specific team I guess. Parents , agents and teams cooking deals. Happens every year and will again this year.

I'm not sure it's cooking a deal. Sometimes players change their minds. Also why would it be inappropriate for a player to exercise all their rights?

Reactions: AAAdad

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024

You mean to suggest that a player and teams collude to give off the impression that there is no intention to go OHL...and then they get drafted by the team "in the know"? That's dirty if that's the case.

MH

Oct 27, 2023
You mean to suggest that a player and teams collude to give off the impression that there is no intention to go OHL...and then they get drafted by the team "in the know"? That's dirty if that's the case.

It's not dirty or collusion. Players have rights like teams. Someone may be more interested in playing in the USHL than playing for a certain team for any number of reasons (location, roster, program, etc) but may be open to playing for another. Why shouldn't a player be able to exercise whatever leverage they have? A different team can still draft the player and try and convince them to sign. Teams always have that right. But a player also has the right to not sign and play elsewhere. There is nothing dirty about any of that.

Reactions: bobber

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024
It's not dirty or collusion. Players have rights like teams. Someone may be more interested in playing in the USHL than playing for a certain team for any number of reasons (location, roster, program, etc) but may be open to playing for another. Why shouldn't a player be able to exercise whatever leverage they have? A different team can still draft the player and try and convince them to sign. Teams always have that right. But a player also has the right to not sign and play elsewhere. There is nothing dirty about any of that.
Maybe dirty and collusion are not the right words to use. It just doesn't pass the smell test to me....but you're right, a player has to do what's right for them. In future drafts, I'm not sure what my views would be on a kid that used the same agent.

Maybe I'm just old school and believe that it should be an honour to be drafted to any team.

MH

Oct 27, 2023
Maybe dirty and collusion are not the right words to use. It just doesn't pass the smell test to me....but you're right, a player has to do what's right for them. In future drafts, I'm not sure what my views would be on a kid that used the same agent.

Maybe I'm just old school and believe that it should be an honour to be drafted to any team.

I get your point but as a goalie dad would you want to be drafted by Mississauga and stuck behind Leenders and Ivankovic for the next 3 years? Might be an honour but not much of an opportunity. I'm not sure your comment about agents holds up. All you hope for in any situation is that both sides are honest about their intentions so any decisions are made on an informed basis. Integrity is the key.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Not sure the deals are cooked. I just used it for lack of a better term. Sometimes OHL fans watching the draft are surprised skilled players drop down to their preferred team. As fans we really are kept in the dark of what actually goes on with prospective players. We hear there are letters sent out to teams not to draft their sons. Not sure if it's a myth or it actually happens. I am sure there are teams that are preferred by players and particularly parents. I have no issues with players having some input on where they are drafted. Wouldn't mean anything if I did.

Reactions: MH and nelli27

MH

Oct 27, 2023
To be clear, my comments are just general. I don't have any knowledge of why any specific player is doing anything or what they will do. Edwards and Croskery are probably going to the USHL as those teams are unlikely to tender a player (and give up a first or second round pick) if they are not confident the player is coming.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Not sure the deals are cooked. I just used it for lack of a better term. Sometimes OHL fans watching the draft are surprised skilled players drop down to their preferred team. As fans we really are kept in the dark of what actually goes on with prospective players. We hear there are letters sent out to teams not to draft their sons. Not sure if it's a myth or it actually happens. I am sure there are teams that are preferred by players and particularly parents. I have no issues with players having some input on where they are drafted. Wouldn't mean anything if I did.
I've wondered the same, Bobber. Do you get agents notifying certain clubs, and telling them "not to select the player", then he drops, and the team from his desired location scoops him up. Does this happen regularly? Anyone know?

Reactions: bobber

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I've wondered the same, Bobber. Do you get agents notifying certain clubs, and telling them "not to select the player", then he drops, and the team from his desired location scoops him up. Does this happen regularly? Anyone know?
yes. the London knights 2nd round picks in the COVID draft m told everyone they were not going to the OHL.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The stories of "so and so isn't coming to the OHL so don't draft him...." only to see him scooped up and he does report have been happening for years. I don't know how many were actually true but, in the past, it was almost a running joke in Windsor.

dsanchez1973

Mar 14, 2022

The idea of drafting 16 year olds and moving them away from their families and into billet houses to play for nothing while the teams make bank is the part that feels dirty to me. I would never begrudge any kid or family who wanted to do whatever they could to control their own destiny.

This isn't the NHL where kids who are basically adults are getting drafted and it means you have a chance to be set for life; the OHL draft is kids getting picked and getting a chance to get a chance to get a chance.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
yes, both told teams they were not coming
What was the consensus on draft ranking pre draft of these players you mention?
Were the 2nds projected pre draft as late 1sts, 2nds or 3rds or were they top 10 picks in the 1st rd?
Just looking for context here as I don't know where they were ranked ( and I appreciate teams have differing views on kids)

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
The idea of drafting 16 year olds and moving them away from their families and into billet houses to play for nothing while the teams make bank is the part that feels dirty to me. I would never begrudge any kid or family who wanted to do whatever they could to control their own destiny.

This isn't the NHL where kids who are basically adults are getting drafted and it means you have a chance to be set for life; the OHL draft is kids getting picked and getting a chance to get a chance to get a chance.
I don't understand your argument. Their are hundred of kids across Canada , who play various sports whom relocate to to states and attend high school then college/ university. Yep, right after their grade 8 year. Choice is made by parents and these young people to get the best possible training available to excel in their sport.

Across the border the universities make a ton of money to have top athletes attend their schools. It's a win /win for both parties. Scholarship paid and the best training available on the planet. It's called recruitment and no, their aren't any guarantees they'll make a living playing the sport they play in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad