2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
What was the consensus on draft ranking pre draft of these players you mention?
Were the 2nds projected pre draft as late 1sts, 2nds or 3rds or were they top 10 picks in the 1st rd?
Just looking for context here as I don't know where they were ranked ( and I appreciate teams have differing views on kids)
it was covid year so there really was no consensus. im from the alliance area, cowan was known as one of the best in the age group without a question. bonk im not sure, but i cant see someone with that pedigree and name not being a 1st, but that one is more of a wildcard.

either way, both 100 percent said school.

Last edited:

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024
The idea of drafting 16 year olds and moving them away from their families and into billet houses to play for nothing while the teams make bank is the part that feels dirty to me. I would never begrudge any kid or family who wanted to do whatever they could to control their own destiny.

This isn't the NHL where kids who are basically adults are getting drafted and it means you have a chance to be set for life; the OHL draft is kids getting picked and getting a chance to get a chance to get a chance.
I see what you're saying...and the assumption is that kids are being exploited. While it's not called a salary..these kids do not play for nothing. Everything is covered financially for them...right up to a monthly stipend. Add onto that the post-secondary education these kids receive. Play just one game in a season, earn a year's tuition to a Canadian university....1st round picks get a full education ride right off the bat. I think it's a decent trade-off for the experience and visibility these kids get....but I could see it moving in the direction of being paid in the future. All that would then have to trickle down to the lower tier Junior levels where it's a pay-to-play scenario.

Reactions: Leviathan899

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I see what you're saying...and the assumption is that kids are being exploited. While it's not called a salary..these kids do not play for nothing. Everything is covered financially for them...right up to a monthly stipend. Add onto that the post-secondary education these kids receive. Play just one game in a season, earn a year's tuition to a Canadian university....1st round picks get a full education ride right off the bat. I think it's a decent trade-off for the experience and visibility these kids get....but I could see it moving in the direction of being paid in the future. All that would then have to trickle down to the lower tier Junior levels where it's a pay-to-play scenario.
OHL players are playing in an elite league where cost are covered and as mentioned education also. Not sure how many frachises would disappear if players were paid salaries. Top players would demand higher contracts similar to what we see in the NHL. Some franchises getting 2-3 thousand fans would never cover the cost and disappear. Others would lose fans because of the cost of tickets. Family of 4 probably pay well over 100 bucks a game now. This without paying a buck a swallow for beer and 5 bucks a slice for pizza. We had season tickets for over 20 years before giving up our seats at the start of covid.. We certainly could never afford pay double the price or more for a seat to attend every game. Just my opinion.

Reactions: AAAdad

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
OHL players are playing in an elite league where cost are covered and as mentioned education also. Not sure how many frachises would disappear if players were paid salaries. Top players would demand higher contracts similar to what we see in the NHL. Some franchises getting 2-3 thousand fans would never cover the cost and disappear. Others would lose fans because of the cost of tickets. Family of 4 probably pay well over 100 bucks a game now. This without paying a buck a swallow for beer and 5 bucks a slice for pizza. We had season tickets for over 20 years before giving up our seats at the start of covid.. We certainly could never afford pay double the price or more for a seat to attend every game. Just my opinion.
i think it would be a loser for alot of players to be paid vs what the teams give out. it would depend on how you work on things like housing, food, etc. lots of kids walk away with 100,000k in education money, thats a ton of tax free money. be careful what they wish for.

Reactions: AAAdad and bobber

dsanchez1973

Mar 14, 2022
I don't understand your argument. Their are hundred of kids across Canada , who play various sports whom relocate to to states and attend high school then college/ university. Yep, right after their grade 8 year. Choice is made by parents and these young people to get the best possible training available to excel in their sport.

Across the border the universities make a ton of money to have top athletes attend their schools. It's a win /win for both parties. Scholarship paid and the best training available on the planet. It's called recruitment and no, their aren't any guarantees they'll make a living playing the sport they play in.
The difference is those kids get to choose which school and situation they want to go to. They aren't drafted and told where they have to go. Those prep and boarding schools are also a clearly more professional educational environment than living in someone's basement who happens to be a fan of the team and going to whatever high school is nearby. Put another way - if you had the chance to be a multi year second/third liner in the OHL or have a scholarship to SAC, I think you'd be much better off taking the latter.

As for the much touted educational package - everyone knows the kids who get the full ride are the ones least likely to actually use it. You're absolutely right that for some kids, the educational package is way better than some stipend, but the fact that the teams don't give them that option probably tells you what's most beneficial to the teams.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
The difference is those kids get to choose which school and situation they want to go to. They aren't drafted and told where they have to go. Those prep and boarding schools are also a clearly more professional educational environment than living in someone's basement who happens to be a fan of the team and going to whatever high school is nearby. Put another way - if you had the chance to be a multi year second/third liner in the OHL or have a scholarship to SAC, I think you'd be much better off taking the latter.

As for the much touted educational package - everyone knows the kids who get the full ride are the ones least likely to actually use it. You're absolutely right that for some kids, the educational package is way better than some stipend, but the fact that the teams don't give them that option probably tells you what's most beneficial to the teams.
If you think everyone that accepts a scholarship in the NCAA has a "choice" then you are not familiar with the process. The perception of many is that the player gets their pick of the crop - but in reality they often don't - once again like the first round ohl guys - only a very small group actually get multiple choices - and not every NCAA program is created equal. Many are in even smaller towns than what the ohl runs out of. They don't have massive booster groups or alumni that donate millions to the program. Rinks and work out rooms are sometimes 20-25 year past their prime and the coaching staff aren't prime candidates for anything other than another NCAA Div 2 or 3 school.

OHL teams often operate much like the player would experience in pro - similar schedule lengths, coaching and training styles, and access to programs and perks that ncaa can't / doesn't.

Also- many teams encourage billet families to not have their player sleep "in a basement"

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
When players reach junior age they have choices to make going forward. They can ignore the OHL if they choose to. Not every triple A kid has the skill set to be an OHL player. If you ask any of them if they want to be drafted by an OHL team you already know the answer. The odd one wants to go to a US college. I am sure they are offered different educational packages at colleges going by the skill level. Really only heard tidbits so I don't know. A very small percentage of skilled Triple A players prefer to play in a lower league when they graduate to keep their college eligibility open. Trying to demonize the OHL or CHL for that matter doesn't cut it. If a parent , agent or player disagree with the way the CHL leagues are operated go in a different direction. No one is holding their feet to the fire as they say. One father I use to sit with at an OHL practice said he was relieved he could stop buying equipment and other expenses that go along with having a son in Triple A. Skates he was given were 1000 bucks according to the father. Also he never had to dish out thousands of dollars to put him through school. His son was drafted by New Jersey and I suppose went on to get an free education after.

dsanchez1973

Mar 14, 2022
When players reach junior age they have choices to make going forward. They can ignore the OHL if they choose to. Not every triple A kid has the skill set to be an OHL player. If you ask any of them if they want to be drafted by an OHL team you already know the answer. The odd one wants to go to a US college. I am sure they are offered different educational packages at colleges going by the skill level. Really only heard tidbits so I don't know. A very small percentage of skilled Triple A players prefer to play in a lower league when they graduate to keep their college eligibility open. Trying to demonize the OHL or CHL for that matter doesn't cut it. If a parent , agent or player disagree with the way the CHL leagues are operated go in a different direction.
I don't think we disagree. No one is forcing kids to play in the OHL and many are starting to explore different routes (just like young basketball players in the states are now sometimes skipping the NCAA experience altogether). My point is just that we also shouldn't demonize kids who choose to try to make the system work for them.

Reactions: bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I don't think we disagree. No one is forcing kids to play in the OHL and many are starting to explore different routes (just like young basketball players in the states are now sometimes skipping the NCAA experience altogether). My point is just that we also shouldn't demonize kids who choose to try to make the system work for them.
Your right. I don't blame the players for wanting options. It's their life and no one else's.
The good thing about hockey is it makes these kids better adults for the most part.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I don't take issue with the kids that are up front with all the teams, even the Cowans and Bonks. I take much more issue with players who are not truthful with teams or who "change their mind" after being drafted by a team they told they would report to. Even the ones who chose OHL after signing a USHL tender. It's not fair to the teams that are getting strung along and committing some of their most valuable assets on these players and agents who are talking out both sides if their mouths. Be up front with these teams. That's all anyone asks.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
i think it would be a loser for alot of players to be paid vs what the teams give out. it would depend on how you work on things like housing, food, etc. lots of kids walk away with 100,000k in education money, thats a ton of tax free money. be careful what they wish for.
just too add, i dont think alot of kids, parents or agents are actuallly the ones driving any type of change. its third parties who are trying to get invovled for financial gain (ie chlpa/WAIPU guys who want a piece of the revenue and the lawyers who want 30/40 percent of the payout) or viture seekers who dont really have a clue what is offered but want to stand on a soap box and yell.

MH

Oct 27, 2023
Apparently this player has been deemed eligible for the draft... likely the "dad played in the league" rule?

Aiden O'Donnell

Legit stats playing U18 hockey (46 points in 31 games) and had 4 points in 4 games at the YOG for Canada!

What is the dad played in the league rule? He plays in the US but is Quebec residence for Hockey Canada.

OnlyUpFromHere49

Jun 6, 2023
What is the dad played in the league rule? He plays in the US but is Quebec residence for Hockey Canada.
There’s a rule where if a family member (usually Dad) played in the league at one point, they can request that player be eligible for that league’s draft, even if they would technically qualify for a different CHL leagues draft based on geographical location. The Sim brothers are recent examples of it… Dad played in the OHL but they played their minor hockey in Eastern Canada and would have been Q property.

Also, the player plays in Canada, not the US, but is technically in the Q region.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

What’s up with Zander Kechego?​

Did he get drafted last year?​

Or is he eligible for the draft this year?​

Or is he draft eligible for the U18 draft?​

Looking at his stats he seems like a real good player and only an 07. Would appreciate any insight on this guy.​

• Wow
Reactions: I Loveallsports

MH

Oct 27, 2023
There’s a rule where if a family member (usually Dad) played in the league at one point, they can request that player be eligible for that league’s draft, even if they would technically qualify for a different CHL leagues draft based on geographical location. The Sim brothers are recent examples of it… Dad played in the OHL but they played their minor hockey in Eastern Canada and would have been Q property.

Also, the player plays in Canada, not the US, but is technically in the Q region.

Thanks

Ad

Ad

Ad