2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The Chicago Steel to University of Michigan pipeline continues. A huge loss for the Steelheads to not get him. They don't have a 2008 born player that can include in a big deal at the 24-25 trade deadline now

Maybe they tow the line this year, shift the 2nds forward and use TWO 1sts next year to make a massive push for a Championship?

Reactions: Section5Petes

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
The Chicago Steel to University of Michigan pipeline continues. A huge loss for the Steelheads to not get him. They don't have a 2008 born player that can include in a big deal at the 24-25 trade deadline now
The OHL needs to implement a supplemental draft in which players who indicate they are not planning on playing in the OHL are not eligible for the regular OHL draft but can be selected by teams in a seperate draft. This will eliminate teams wasting a high draft pick on a player who won’t report and also end the need for compensatory 1st round draft picks. This idea is not not new. It was first discusses in 1985 when a couple of top players refused to report to Kingston who was drafting first overall.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The OHL needs to implement a supplemental draft in which players who indicate they are not planning on playing in the OHL are not eligible for the regular OHL draft but can be selected by teams in a seperate draft. This will eliminate teams wasting a high draft pick on a player who won’t report and also end the need for compensatory 1st round draft picks. This idea is not not new. It was first discusses in 1985 when a couple of top players refused to report to Kingston who was drafting first overall.
Valentini didn’t lie, they knew it was a risk. MIssissauga knew there was a chance but rolled the dice. it’s not like they were blindsided by this and got screwed

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
No they don’t need to create some other supplemental draft. It’s a scouting departments job to understand who is or isn’t interested in reporting to their team. This isn’t on the players. Fans need to stop acting like these kids are their slaves. Teams need to make themselves desirable locations. If they aren’t, stop whining about it. Take kids that will report.

Reactions: ZinErie

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Maybe they tow the line this year, shift the 2nds forward and use TWO 1sts next year to make a massive push for a Championship?
They could do that but it's risky. There's a chance that they lose three of their key forwards in 25-26. MacDonell and Misa could be AHL bound if they're signed by their NHL clubs and Martone is projected to be a very high pick and could go to the NHL right away. I'm not saying all that is going to happen but if it did it could make it tougher to go for it. The Steelheads have put themselves in a tough spot

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

The main challenge with that option is it doesn’t change anything. The players looking for cooked deals end up going to the team they want in the supplementary draft anyway? Additionally, the team picking first overall gets the actual first overall pick and then also gets the best player that chooses not to report. Then they trade that player where he wants to go? There is too much greasy action involved in that.

The current rule isn’t perfect but it is about as good as you can get. If you take a gamble and the player doesn’t report, you basically lose nothing. You get the pick the following year. It allows teams to take that gamble that otherwise wouldn’t had there not been a comp pick. Teams can use that as a strategic option to load up on one draft or simply role the dice on an elite player knowing they effectively don’t lose anything doing so.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
They could do that but it's risky. There's a chance that they lose three of their key forwards in 25-26. MacDonell and Misa could be AHL bound if they're signed by their NHL clubs and Martone is projected to be a very high pick and could go to the NHL right away. I'm not saying all that is going to happen but if it did it could make it tougher to go for it. The Steelheads have put themselves in a tough spot
You might only be viewing the roster front to back. Starting from the back end Ivankovic will be there 2025-26 and there is 18 months for the best offer for Leenders to materialize. The defence will be at its’ best in 2025-26 with Harding (OA); Fibigr, VonRichter, Gee, Spencer all 19; and Dragusica 18. All will have had 3-5 years under Richmond.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You might only be viewing the roster front to back. Starting from the back end Ivankovic will be there 2025-26 and there is 18 months for the best offer for Leenders to materialize. The defence will be at its’ best in 2025-26 with Harding (OA); Fibigr, VonRichter, Gee, Spencer all 19; and Dragusica 18. All will have had 3-5 years under Richmond.

Theoretically, two 1st round picks will get you two elite forwards at the deadline. Add in all the 2nd rounders, especially if they push them forward…..

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Theoretically, two 1st round picks will get you two elite forwards at the deadline. Add in all the 2nd rounders, especially if they push them forward…..
Brampton could go all-in then rebuild around the two 1sts. But I think they will be a bit conservative keeping the core age group intact going for a deep run followed by a greater effort for a championship run.

That is probably the best route for Brantford as well. As we saw with Oshawa, a practice run can turn out to be a trip to the OHL final.
Kingston, Oshawa, and Sudbury are teams with a greater need to win now imo.

Last edited:

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
A huge loss for the Steelheads to not get him. They don't have a 2008 born player that can include in a big deal at the 24-25 trade deadline now

Check the Brampton's roster carefully. They are at the onset of a two year championship window. Richmond has assembled a solid 05 and 06 core, 8-2nd, 4-3rds, 5-4th, 4-5th and now 2-2025 1st (for use next year) plus a goalie trade (Leenders or Ivankovic) to make this happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvenSteven

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Check the Brampton's roster carefully. They are at the onset of a two year championship window. Richmond has assembled a solid 05 and 06 core, 8-2nd, 4-3rds, 5-4th, 4-5th and now 2-2025 1st (for use next year) plus a goalie trade (Leenders or Ivankovic) to make this happen.
its moreso one less asset to trade. if they want to trade for a barlow for example they cant now due to not having an 08 forward. teams want players more then picks.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
To trade for that Barlow player, if you don’t have the 08 1st, you’ll have to replace that player with the equivalent value multiple 2nd’s and 3rd’s.

And even that may not win the bidding war if trading team really likes the 08 1st that another team offers.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
To trade for that Barlow player, if you don’t have the 08 1st, you’ll have to replace that player with the equivalent value multiple 2nd’s and 3rd’s.

And even that may not win the bidding war if trading team really likes the 08 1st that another team offers.
or an 07, and mississauga has a goalie as an 07, cant see owen sound valuing that. donovan went for 9 picks, that would be the framework.

typically teams want players over picks, but if you toss enough picks who knows.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
if kitchener sells, i could see them having interest in a ton of picks, but if they do sell i think someone will ofter a good 08 that will be hard to say no too.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Brampton could go all-in then rebuild around the two 1sts. But I think they will be a bit conservative keeping the core age group intact going for a deep run followed by a greater effort for a championship run.

That is probably the best route for Brantford as well. As we saw with Oshawa, a practice run can turn out to be a trip to the OHL final.
Kingston, Oshawa, and Sudbury are teams with a greater need to win now imo.

As of right now, the issue is we need to see what the rosters look like in November. Oshawa is my pick to be the leader out of the gate provided they get all their eligible players returned but that may be a bit of a challenge with Kumpalainen’s most recent comments. Ritchie is also 50-50. If he were on a less competitive NHL team, I think he would have been a goner! But, I do feel they will return their full roster including Roobroek as an OA.

Brampton will need to address the issue of their four 2025 2nd round picks. They may very well decide to ONLY round out their OA’s and Import positions (similar to Ottawa in 2023). If so, they likely use 2-3 of those 2nd round picks as trade pieces. However, I think they’d need to move two of them forward to 2026 or 2027 so they have those pieces available the following year. I agree they are more likely than not to get their ‘05s back as OAs. MacDonell and Misa are strong OA candidates IMO. BUT! There is something to be said about a bird in hand. If they are in position and running on all cylinders in the first half, I think they need to make the push this year. That would likely require Leenders to be their major trade chip on top of the 2nds. I think if they address their OA situtation and add one key 19 year old, they will be super strong.

Reactions: Sam14 and dirty12

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
As of right now, the issue is we need to see what the rosters look like in November. Oshawa is my pick to be the leader out of the gate provided they get all their eligible players returned but that may be a bit of a challenge with Kumpalainen’s most recent comments. Ritchie is also 50-50. If he were on a less competitive NHL team, I think he would have been a goner! But, I do feel they will return their full roster including Roobroek as an OA.
Ritchie may get more of an extended look with the Avs because of their Cap situation - they only have 10 forwards signed (not including Landeskog/O'Connor (IR) and Nichushkin (other issues)) and they don't exactly have a ton of cap room left, so having someone that can step in on an ELC (although I didn't realize Ritchie hasn't even signed his ELC yet) could be incredibly appealing to them.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ritchie may get more of an extended look with the Avs because of their Cap situation - they only have 10 forwards signed (not including Landeskog/O'Connor (IR) and Nichushkin (other issues)) and they don't exactly have a ton of cap room left, so having someone that can step in on an ELC (although I didn't realize Ritchie hasn't even signed his ELC yet) could be incredibly appealing to them.

The challenge for the Av’s is they don’t know when Landeskog will return. I assume they have a better sense now but the cartilage replacement surgery for the knee isn’t something that happens a lot so recovery time frames for pro athletes is wonky at best. I definitely could see the logic behind keeping Ritchie through to the WJHC tournament if Landeskog is out at least half the season. The issue with that is it is more than 10 games. I cannot see the Av’s playing him more than 10 games and then reassigning him to Junior. If he needs to play more than 10 games in the first half, it likely means he is either strong enough to contribute or they need the body in the lineup.

The Av’s do have 10 open contracts as of right now. My assumption is they will find a few NHL calibre players waiting on contracts that are willing to sign one year deals to play for such a competitive team. With Landeskog’s $7mil sitting in LTIR, they will likely be able to balance the books by the end of the season.

Crazy they haven’t signed Ritchie yet!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad