2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024
when was the last time in the history of the OHL cup was there less then 5 teams in the Tournament?
I'm not sure I understand the question. 5 teams? I was just pointing out that there are a handful of teams in Ontario that could be considered for one of the wild card spots that have better records than Markham and likely have a better chance of progressing past the wild card play-in games. Are you suggesting that 5 GTHL teams be automatically given a spot? I don't believe that's the way the current wild card spots are handed out given that the last 3 are purely subjective.

Personally, I believe the wild card should be given to those teams that didn't make it and are ranked higher in the overall standings. Whitby (34-26-7), Quinte (45-20-4) and Upper Canada Cyclones (34-16-4) would fit that criteria over Markham. No? This is all according to myhockeyrankings....I'm not sure where these teams fit in the OHL Cup rankings....I don't have that info.

As a scout, you already know that Wassilyn is a top guy. I'm not sure giving Markham, the team, the chance in the OHL Cup is fair just based on that. Maybe I'm not looking at it in the right way, though?

Thunder Bay and there 7-36-2 record certainly don't.

They shouldn't be getting the HNO auto bid while playing in the GTHL.
I absolutely agree with that sentiment....but I'm specifically speaking about the last 3 wild card spots. Thunder Bay was a done deal from the season start...they automatically get in regardless of their season...which I think is wrong.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Updated OHL Cup teams:

GTHL (4)
Mississauga Rebels
North York Rangers
Toronto Marlboros
Vaughan Kings

ALLIANCE (4)
Elgin-Middlesex Canucks
Huron-Perth Lakers
London Jr. Knights
Sun County Panthers

OMHA (4)
Barrie Jr. Colts
Oakville Rangers
Oshawa Generals
Peterborough Petes

HEO (2)
Ottawa Valley Titans
Ottawa Myers Automotive

HNO (1)
Thunder Bay Kings

NOHA (1)
Team NOHA

USA (1)
TPH Hockey

Wild Cards (3/6)
Cambridge Hawks
Niagara North Stars
Toronto Jr. Canadiens

…the final 3 WC teams are decided by a selection committee (my guesses would be Halton Hurricanes, Markham Majors and York-Simcoe Express)
TPH? .. wut dat?

Bardown99

Jan 20, 2024
Thunder Bay and there 7-36-2 record certainly don't.

They shouldn't be getting the HNO auto bid while playing in the GTHL.
Whats even way worse is TBay (HNO1) is a higher ranking Association then the HEO1 champion in the OHLCup! (Ottawa's champ winning team). Two AAA league champs in HEO and Alliance put in same division?? Why oh why wouldnt all 4 AAA league champs lead their own seperate divisions?

Reactions: flamebird

Bardown99

Jan 20, 2024
TPH? .. wut dat?
USA based "Select" team of borderline AAA skaters. These are not players pulled from any of the top 20 USA clubs you see ranked in MHR. This team rarely, if ever, gets out of round robin games every year and so it makes ZERO sense why scouts would want to see a team like that over players born and raised in the Halton or Toronto or more southern Ontario region is beyond me.

Last edited:

Bardown99

Jan 20, 2024
Oakville shutout by Barrie (Beites) 5-0.

Not sure what was up with Belchetz. Finished the OMHA Championship with 1 assist in 3 games.

He missed Oakville's 1st game. Injured perhaps?
Ive heard because of school, but hearing reasons and actually knowing are very different, lol. Belchetz not doing well is par for the course though. The harder the game the less effective he is. Almost a Wassilyn clone for those exact reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section5Petes

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I'm not sure I understand the question. 5 teams? I was just pointing out that there are a handful of teams in Ontario that could be considered for one of the wild card spots that have better records than Markham and likely have a better chance of progressing past the wild card play-in games. Are you suggesting that 5 GTHL teams be automatically given a spot? I don't believe that's the way the current wild card spots are handed out given that the last 3 are purely subjective.

Personally, I believe the wild card should be given to those teams that didn't make it and are ranked higher in the overall standings. Whitby (34-26-7), Quinte (45-20-4) and Upper Canada Cyclones (34-16-4) would fit that criteria over Markham. No? This is all according to myhockeyrankings....I'm not sure where these teams fit in the OHL Cup rankings....I don't have that info.

As a scout, you already know that Wassilyn is a top guy. I'm not sure giving Markham, the team, the chance in the OHL Cup is fair just based on that. Maybe I'm not looking at it in the right way, though?

I absolutely agree with that sentiment....but I'm specifically speaking about the last 3 wild card spots. Thunder Bay was a done deal from the season start...they automatically get in regardless of their season...which I think is wrong.
heres the struggle that some parents have. its not about wins. the ohl cup is a showcase for ohl scouts for players that they want to see, to be honest at this point very little changes, but its a nice final look at players. the wildcard committee does not default to myhockeyranknigs or teams with more wins, its a team of ohl gms who vote on who they think have the best mix of success and prospects.

winning is nice but if i want to draft a kid, its not like i cant take him if he is on a team that had 4 wins. the committee picks who they want to see, im sure they look at record, but i can almost promise they look at the roster and see who they want to see more of.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Barrie wins the OMHA Championship.

James Elliot had quite the weekend. He's progressed nicely as the years gone on.

Bardown99

Jan 20, 2024
can we please stop with the initials dads?
Editted post with last names. Please don't assume I have a horse in the 2008 race.

PS: I had to google Belchetz and Wassilyn names on how to spell them correctly inside my edit. Thats why I orginally resorted to their initials only this time, they are not common last names. LOL

Last edited:

dsanchez1973

Mar 14, 2022

Not sure what was up with Belchetz. Finished the OMHA Championship with 1 assist in 3 games.

I was told around the rink this weekend (take that for what it's worth) he had the flu so they rested him for the expected easier game vs Niagara.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

dsanchez1973

Mar 14, 2022
USA based "Select" team of borderline AAA skaters. These are not players pulled from any of the top 20 USA clubs you see ranked in MHR. This team rarely, if ever, gets out of round robin games every year and so it makes ZERO sense why scouts would want to see a team like that over players born and raised in the Halton or Toronto or more southern Ontario region is beyond me.
I'd argue that any OHL scout has had 50+ opportunities to see Halton or Toronto based players already this year. Getting some USA players who aren't as easily watchable would probably be preferable to them.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

playing with the flu, thats why he missed the first day

I'd argue that any OHL scout has had 50+ opportunities to see Halton or Toronto based players already this year. Getting some USA players who aren't as easily watchable would probably be preferable to them.
correct

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
playing with the flu, thats why he missed the first day

correct
2 questions:

1)Will you be providing an early glimpse of the draft selections for the upcoming 2024 Priority Selection? Lots of posters enjoy seeing who's going where before it's made official.
2)Any prospects you think will play the "don't pick me, I won't be playing in the O" card and then land in London?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
2)Any prospects you think will play the "don't pick me, I won't be playing in the O" card and then land in London?
This list has already been posted under a different title. Please refer to the list in the above post under the alternative title: "top 3 players in the draft".

Reactions: leafs4life94

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
2 questions:

1)Will you be providing an early glimpse of the draft selections for the upcoming 2024 Priority Selection? Lots of posters enjoy seeing who's going where before it's made official.
well, will i be allowed to or will it be deemed speculation like last year?

Ad

Ad

Ad