2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024
the Barrie goalie played on Sudbury last year as an underage and was very good. do you really think scouts are that stupid? the best team in Ontario last year had 1 guy drafted late and middle to bottom teams had guys drafted higher.
Of course he played up when he was in Sudbury...have you seen what Sudbury has to offer in their goalies at his age group? Many, many of the better goalies in Ontario would have played up too if they lived in Sudbury.

Beites is a good goalie..hands down and I'm not going to take anything away from him as a goalie....but there is a reason why he moved to Barrie. He wanted to be seen on a high profile team...and you get more views simply by playing on a better team. That part is not rocket science and it seems to have been a good move that worked out for him.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Of course he played up when he was in Sudbury...have you seen what Sudbury has to offer in their goalies at his age group? Many, many of the better goalies in Ontario would have played up too if they lived in Sudbury.

Beites is a good goalie..hands down and I'm not going to take anything away from him as a goalie....but there is a reason why he moved to Barrie. He wanted to be seen on a high profile team...and you get more views simply by playing on a better team. That part is not rocket science and it seems to have been a good move that worked out for him.
Carter George would suggest that regardless of where you play, you’ll be fine. I loved watching the little I got to see of George, ge was a target a game and proved imo he was the best 06 goalie that draft. his team was one of the worst in Ontario.

with all due respect I’m not sure what point you are trying to make? more views on a better team doesn’t mean anything if your not that great.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Interesting topic talking about goalies moving from a bad team to a good team for minor midget. Wondering how many major bantam games the scouts catch? Would they already have a book on a lot of these players before minor midget?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Interesting topic talking about goalies moving from a bad team to a good team for minor midget. Wondering how many major bantam games the scouts catch? Would they already have a book on a lot of these players before minor midget?
just at tournaments, but rare. most area guys hear about players years before they show up thou.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

A player is definitely getting more views playing on a top team. He is also probably good enough to play on a top team. A goalie on a team not good enough to make minor midget playoffs can hope to get better and help his team make major midget playoffs and drafted in the U18 draft.

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024
Carter George would suggest that regardless of where you play, you’ll be fine. I loved watching the little I got to see of George, ge was a target a game and proved imo he was the best 06 goalie that draft. his team was one of the worst in Ontario.

with all due respect I’m not sure what point you are trying to make? more views on a better team doesn’t mean anything if your not that great.
I agree...more views does not make you a great goalie. Vaughan Kings is a perfect example of that. And yes, lots of gems out there on lesser skilled teams. When the draft is over, I will find it quite interesting to see where the kids finished up and how I viewed them over the last year. I certainly don't know or have seen all the goalies and would find it refreshing to see a few drafted that I have never heard of before.

I do find the discussion on scouting very interesting. After all is said and done and the draft is over, I would love to see what was written on each kid or their rating. I know we'll never see that but I think it would be very enlightening to know what scouts think versus what parents/fans think. What do they see?

I had an interesting discussion with an OHL goalie coach after last year's draft. I asked him why they chose who they did and what they thought about the other goalies that went earlier. Basically, his team was more interested in potential than how the individual goalies performed that season. Looking for that gem, I guess. I thought that was an interesting take and I wondered how they assessed potential.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Which big D might go in the first round? Hicks, Wathier, D'Alessio, Frossard are all over 6' but do any of them know how to use their size? Any other options that might go that early in the draft?

MH

Oct 27, 2023
I agree...more views does not make you a great goalie. Vaughan Kings is a perfect example of that. And yes, lots of gems out there on lesser skilled teams. When the draft is over, I will find it quite interesting to see where the kids finished up and how I viewed them over the last year. I certainly don't know or have seen all the goalies and would find it refreshing to see a few drafted that I have never heard of before.

I do find the discussion on scouting very interesting. After all is said and done and the draft is over, I would love to see what was written on each kid or their rating. I know we'll never see that but I think it would be very enlightening to know what scouts think versus what parents/fans think. What do they see?

I had an interesting discussion with an OHL goalie coach after last year's draft. I asked him why they chose who they did and what they thought about the other goalies that went earlier. Basically, his team was more interested in potential than how the individual goalies performed that season. Looking for that gem, I guess. I thought that was an interesting take and I wondered how they assessed potential.

A couple of thoughts.

1. Teams are only looking for potential. They want players that will be successful 18 year Olds in the OHL. They are not building a U16 team. How you do in U16 may be an indicator of future success but a smaller player or a poor skater may have U16 success but not at the OHL (as an example).

2. Each team has its own scouting department and different teams probably see different players differently - within a range. The further into the draft the more differentlce there may be between teams' lists. They may also prefer different traits or attributes.

3. I'm not sure why people keep taking issue with the Vaughan Goalies. Say what you will but for 3 years all they have done is won when it counts against other top teams.

dsanchez1973

Mar 14, 2022
A player is definitely getting more views playing on a top team. He is also probably good enough to play on a top team. A goalie on a team not good enough to make minor midget playoffs can hope to get better and help his team make major midget playoffs and drafted in the U18 draft.

Underrated factor in all of this - better teams mean facing better opposition in practice. Beites for example has plenty of pointless games where he faces 10 shots, but he also has multiple days per week facing the Barrie offence in practice.

Another part of this - the elite teams invest in elite coaching. I have no doubt that a goalie like him is getting much higher level coaching than he received in Sudbury.

Reactions: dirty12

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

no draft is about now, its always about long term. i think thats where the parent disconnect happens. parents see today, scouts see tomorrow. a 5'7 goalie with decent numbers is not going to have decent numbers at the next level, 5'11 kids struggle but if they are special, they can do it.

parents are very, very emotionally invested in their kid and other kids, where as scouts for the most part are flys on the wall and the best ones, the decision makers, dont allow much emotion into the decision.

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021
Which big D might go in the first round? Hicks, Wathier, D'Alessio, Frossard are all over 6' but do any of them know how to use their size? Any other options that might go that early in the draft?
I don't think any of those d-men are going in the first round.

The only d-men I see going first round are:
Nyman (VK)
Croskery (Oakville) Commited to Chicago Steel
Blonda (Pitt)

There's a handful that could go in the 20-40 range though

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Ya, I used the word "might" for a reason. With the affinity teams seem to have towards large D, I was wondering if there were any that might be reached for in the first. The 3 you mention are all smaller D (although hugely skilled).

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Ya, I used the word "might" for a reason. With the affinity teams seem to have towards large D, I was wondering if there were any that might be reached for in the first. The 3 you mention are all smaller D (although hugely skilled).
I think the online scouting community views a few of these d much higher then what the OHL scouting world does, but it only takes one team to make a pick against the central list

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021
First Round Talent.

Everybody outside of Xu will probably be there. I would change that name to Brady Smith (Oshawa)
Brady Smith will not be going in the 2nd round, more of a late 3rd to 4th round pick I would think

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
A question for all the scouts on this board, is the birth date of a player something that teams look at? Do teams prefer guys who have a birth date later in the year (Oct/Nov/Dec)? Could it being a deciding factor between two similar players if one was born in January while the other was born in December?

Reactions: flamebird

hotchips99

Feb 14, 2024
I can see why it was brought up regarding exposer on a top team.

For example, the selection for the GTHL prospects game seemed to favor players on top teams.

The teams that participated in the Silver Stick Tournament potentially had the edge vs teams that

didn't.

Players chosen were picked by a scouting committee that potentially only watched these players at

Silver Stick Tournament. One player that was chosen to play in the prospects game, didn't even play a

regular season game with his team, but he did play at the Silver Stick which was enough for him to

get noticed.

I'm not saying he didn't deserve the selection, I'm just supplying the information.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I can see why it was brought up regarding exposer on a top team.

For example, the selection for the GTHL prospects game seemed to favor players on top teams.

The teams that participated in the Silver Stick Tournament potentially had the edge vs teams that

didn't.

Players chosen were picked by a scouting committee that potentially only watched these players at

Silver Stick Tournament. One player that was chosen to play in the prospects game, didn't even play a

regular season game with his team, but he did play at the Silver Stick which was enough for him to

get noticed.

I'm not saying he didn't deserve the selection, I'm just supplying the information.
i didnt know that we are only allowed to pick players off of the gthl top prospect game roster? jeez, the 1st round pick that was not on it a few years ago will have to be cut and sent to jr a i guess. poor kid, he had a good year.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Kreppner #9 Titans was one of the most impressive players in the first round of the gthl playoffs. High compete, pressure, won his battles, lead by example chasing pucks vs a top team, never lost confidence, just went after it.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Ryder Cali #19 Markham Majors, also impressive in the first round of the gthl. Some pride in playing defense, wins most of his draws, can carry the puck with size, smart, hits his man to win battles, engaged. Should go between 10-30.

Reactions: flamebird

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024
Maybe an interesting topic...who from the US would be considered a player of interest in this OHL draft?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
There's a player on the Majors from the US, but the name escapes me.

Potential 2nd rounder.

hotchips99

Feb 14, 2024
There's a player on the Majors from the US, but the name escapes me.

Potential 2nd
i didnt know that we are only allowed to pick players off of the gthl top prospect game roster? jeez, the 1st round pick that was not on it a few years ago will have to be cut and sent to jr a i guess. poor kid, he had a good year.
I'm not sure what you are try to say. It's a example of a kid playing on a top team and getting that extra look.

How ofter have you watched the worst teams in the respective leagues play bottom teams?
That takes commitment.
It's easy to watch a tournament final.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not sure what you are try to say. It's a example of a kid playing on a top team and getting that extra look.

How ofter have you watched the worst teams in the respective leagues play bottom teams?
That takes commitment.
It's easy to watch a tournament final.
You're in over your head in this discussion and it's fairly clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

Only thing you've proven is that you have an agenda. Quit pushing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad