2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I was always told there where stats from the GTHL but were never public. I did some digging and now I'm being accused of boosting my kids stats? Get real. I'm simply providing information.
Someone mentioned who had more points AV or BS. Here it is.
You very clearly have had an agenda here from day 1. You very deliberately direct every conversation in the direction of your agenda. You have only been here for 2 weeks, and everyone can see it. Yes, you are being accused of boosting your kids stats. If I worked for a team and suspected who your kid was I would stay away from crazy parent without a doubt. Hopefully you don't ruin it for your kid.

Nobody is going to take you seriously on here so just stop. If you are still around next year to discuss the 2009 class maybe I will cut you some slack then.

hockeydad1317

Feb 15, 2024
valentini and smith, parents use initials, i have no clue why, its bizarre
I can answer that if you care. There is an absolute cesspool of a website called Minorhockeytalks where parents do nothing but trash each other and their kids and one of the rules of engagement on that site is no names, only initials and jersey number and/or team are allowed. This is a much more refreshing and mature conversation over here - so cheers to that!

Reactions: flamebird

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You very clearly have had an agenda here from day 1. You very deliberately direct every conversation in the direction of your agenda. You have only been here for 2 weeks, and everyone can see it. Yes, you are being accused of boosting your kids stats. If I worked for a team and suspected who your kid was I would stay away from crazy parent without a doubt. Hopefully you don't ruin it for your kid.

Nobody is going to take you seriously on here so just stop. If you are still around next year to discuss the 2009 class maybe I will cut you some slack then.
wow, when hockey pops calls you out you know you’ve earned it. well said , poor kid

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
A franchise with any credibility is going to take a player in the draft that fits their agenda. Most scouts with any salt will have some idea of how a prospect will project as far as playing in the OHL. Doesn't matter how much a parent pumps their kids tires. They can either play or they can't. We've seen kids make the Rangers and end up struggling in Jr. B . Not all are going to make Major A and be successful.

dsanchez1973

Mar 14, 2022
A franchise with any credibility is going to take a player in the draft that fits their agenda. Most scouts with any salt will have some idea of how a prospect will project as far as playing in the OHL. Doesn't matter how much a parent pumps their kids tires. They can either play or they can't. We've seen kids make the Rangers and end up struggling in Jr. B . Not all are going to make Major A and be successful.

Would echo this. The best thing you can do for your kid is write the cheque and drive them to the rink. You won't do them any favors by injecting yourself into the process any more than is absolutely necessary and will usually do harm. Guys like Marner made it in spite of his dad, not because of him.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Scoring leaders of the gthl u16aaaView attachment 829810
While I personally wouldn't post this myself... It is accurate lol.

Tidbits...

Cuhna -- impressive goal totals, either is allergic is passing the puck OR has nobody to play with...

Allain -- sneaky good point totals despite being in the shadow of higher profile players...

Warren (09 Born) -- upper end talent for next year, very good production playing a year up on a very good team

Reactions: mapleleaf979

hotchips99

Feb 14, 2024
All
While I personally wouldn't post this myself... It is accurate lol.

Tidbits...

Cuhna -- impressive goal totals, either is allergic is passing the puck OR has nobody to play with...

Allain -- sneaky good point totals despite being in the shadow of higher profile players...

Warren (09 Born) -- upper end talent for next year, very good production playing a year up on a very good team
Allain has taken a huge step forward from last year. He always had skill but now with his height, he has taken his game to a new level. Always enjoyed watching him.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Would echo this. The best thing you can do for your kid is write the cheque and drive them to the rink. You won't do them any favors by injecting yourself into the process any more than is absolutely necessary and will usually do harm. Guys like Marner made it in spite of his dad, not because of him.
Some kids are going to be picked simply because they are extremely talented despite the parents. Hage was in the Rangers rookie camp couple years back. He looked like he played in the OHL for a couple of seasons already. I am sure parents of some highly sought after prospects do have demands. It's a huge jump up to Major A. When I see an overage player like huge 6'5" Roman Schmitt being interviewed and think he is out playing against rookies you know what a challenge it is for 140-150 pound players coming into the league. Draft day is something OHL fans look forward to. It is a highlite.

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021
@OHL4Life and other users, The Petes have Ottawa's 2024 second round pick which will probably be in pick range 33-36, what could be some targets for the Petes with that OTT pick? Thanks
There will be plenty of good dmen available in that range

Might still be available:
- Greer (Barrie)
- Xu (JRC)
- Eshkawkogan (NYR)
- Kwajah (JRC)
- Hicks (London)
- Mitchell (Petes)
- Koukouves (Marlies)
- D'Alessio (Vaughan)
- Emerton (Vaughan)

Reactions: Section5Petes

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Parker Vaughan (Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs) a 1st round selection? 2nd round?
First Round Talent.
There will be plenty of good dmen available in that range

Might still be available:
- Greer (Barrie)
- Xu (JRC)
- Eshkawkogan (NYR)
- Kwajah (JRC)
- Hicks (London)
- Mitchell (Petes)
- Koukouves (Marlies)
- D'Alessio (Vaughan)
- Emerton (Vaughan)
Everybody outside of Xu will probably be there. I would change that name to Brady Smith (Oshawa)

Reactions: nelli27

dsanchez1973

Mar 14, 2022
Some kids are going to be picked simply because they are extremely talented despite the parents. Hage was in the Rangers rookie camp couple years back. He looked like he played in the OHL for a couple of seasons already. I am sure parents of some highly sought after prospects do have demands. It's a huge jump up to Major A. When I see an overage player like huge 6'5" Roman Schmitt being interviewed and think he is out playing against rookies you know what a challenge it is for 140-150 pound players coming into the league. Draft day is something OHL fans look forward to. It is a highlite.

Thats basically what I said. Some kids will make it, and their parents will think it's because they advocated for the kid or pushed them or whatever. In reality, those kids made it by talent. Parental demands are never something any OHL team sits at the draft table going "well at least I'll never worry about what his dad wants because he's going to call me every week!"

Reactions: bobber

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
There could still be some excellent options available into the middle of the second round. How does everyone else view the depth of the top ~30 compared to other drafts?

Reactions: Section5Petes

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Thats basically what I said. Some kids will make it, and their parents will think it's because they advocated for the kid or pushed them or whatever. In reality, those kids made it by talent. Parental demands are never something any OHL team sits at the draft table going "well at least I'll never worry about what his dad wants because he's going to call me every week!"
i just hope that the guy is not telling his kid that he will be a top 40 or 60 player in the draft, he will not. dad has no clue what or how the draft plays out, suggesting anything to his kid other then, maybe youll be a pick, maybe not, is silly and in a way selfish on dad

Ozymandias

Jan 31, 2024
For those like me who are still learning, here are the goalies being discussed.
BAR - Mateo Beites
BAR - Jason Schaubel
YSE - Riley Barkey
YSE - Colin Ellsworth
NYR - Max Grovestine
NYR - Brady Knowling
JRC - William Camputaro
JRC - Cam Ingram
VK - Justin Young
VK - Joseph D'Angelo

Any opinion on who is stronger from each pair?
What would be interesting to see is how these goalies would do on a bottom end team where there is no stellar D to to protect them or forwards that they can count on to score on a consistent basis. Would they still make this list?

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024
What would be interesting to see is how these goalies would do on a bottom end team where there is no stellar D to to protect them or forwards that they can count on to score on a consistent basis. Would they still make this list?
Biggest problem with a goalie playing on a bottom-end team is that they really don't attract many scouts' attention. I could be wrong but I think people scouting at the U16 level are hyperfocused on skaters....goalies who play on teams with top DEF and FWDs are the ones that will likely get more noticed for obvious reasons. As well, goalies on bottom-end teams generally don't go far in tournament and regular season playoff games...again, not being seen by scouts all that much. Add in the fact thst most teams rotate goalies fairly equally...so only playing half the games....half the time in front of scouts.

The goalie position is re-active by nature...much unlike a skater who can go out and DO something and make a statement. Some great goalies at this level have crap stats just because of the team in front of them.

What can I say, it's a difficult position for a scout to get a good feel....especially if they don't know the position all that well. What might look good on one team, might be crap on another.....so many variables.

Reactions: Ozymandias

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Biggest problem with a goalie playing on a bottom-end team is that they really don't attract many scouts' attention. I could be wrong but I think people scouting at the U16 level are hyperfocused on skaters....goalies who play on teams with top DEF and FWDs are the ones that will likely get more noticed for obvious reasons. As well, goalies on bottom-end teams generally don't go far in tournament and regular season playoff games...again, not being seen by scouts all that much. Add in the fact thst most teams rotate goalies fairly equally...so only playing half the games....half the time in front of scouts.

The goalie position is re-active by nature...much unlike a skater who can go out and DO something and make a statement. Some great goalies at this level have crap stats just because of the team in front of them.

What can I say, it's a difficult position for a scout to get a good feel....especially if they don't know the position all that well. What might look good on one team, might be crap on another.....so many variables.
let me ask, how do you know that goalies on bad teams are not being scouted? there are goalies on bad teams rated by central scouting

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
the Barrie goalie played on Sudbury last year as an underage and was very good. do you really think scouts are that stupid? the best team in Ontario last year had 1 guy drafted late and middle to bottom teams had guys drafted higher.

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024
let me ask, how do you know that goalies on bad teams are not being scouted? there are goalies on bad teams rated by central scouting
I don't know. Without being privy to central scouting, I'm just saying what makes logical sense to me. I didn't mean to say they wouldn't be seen or be rated at all. I would expect/hope scouts to see everyone by the end of a season and have somewhat of a rating for each. However, it only makes sense that a goalie on a bad team doesn't get nearly the exposure that one on a good team does. How could they? They don't make playoffs which can severely reduce the number of games to be seen in. Plus, playoff games have more on the line...more pressure to see these goalies under. No way that any goalie on a bad team can really show all what they offer. For the most part, the opportunity is not there to do so repeatedly.

I would gather (maybe a guess?) that those that are touted to be the top 5-10 goalies in this draft have been seen more often just by the virtue of the teams they play on. Is this a wrong assumption? I'm more curious than trying to be argumentative.

Does central scouting indicate the number of times each goalie has been assessed in a game? I'm not asking for it but that data would be interesting to know.

Reactions: Ozymandias

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I don't know. Without being privy to central scouting, I'm just saying what makes logical sense to me. I didn't mean to say they wouldn't be seen or be rated at all. I would expect/hope scouts to see everyone by the end of a season and have somewhat of a rating for each. However, it only makes sense that a goalie on a bad team doesn't get nearly the exposure that one on a good team does. How could they? They don't make playoffs which can severely reduce the number of games to be seen in. Plus, playoff games have more on the line...more pressure to see these goalies under. No way that any goalie on a bad team can really show all what they offer. For the most part, the opportunity is not there to do so repeatedly.

I would gather (maybe a guess?) that those that are touted to be the top 5-10 goalies in this draft have been seen more often just by the virtue of the teams they play on. Is this a wrong assumption? I'm more curious than trying to be argumentative.

Does central scouting indicate the number of times each goalie has been assessed in a game? I'm not asking for it but that data would be interesting to know.
they do not. I’m not sure what or why that would matter. I don’t mean to be aggressive or cold, but honestly the ‘we’re on a bad team, that’s why we’re not drafted’ vs generally the more honest answer is that the player just isn’t good enough. I’ve been around far too long and seen it far too much. our director of scouting has seen every team 20 time, that’s his job, suggesting that he hasn’t is a bit of a cop out. most if not all of the time is a bad team just has bad players on it. you’ll still find gold at time, which is why you watch them, but they are still a bad team.

if the player is good enough, believe me he will be seen. Brouchu was on an awful team, how did he get himself drafted in the 7th round if scouts don’t go or you need to be on a top team to be valued? it’s more of an excuse vs anything.

Reactions: flamebird

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad