TPH Hockey

Wild Cards (6)
Cambridge Hawks
Toronto Jr. Canadiens

Last edited:

Bardown99

Jan 20, 2024
Good timing.

Looks like they are going head to head later tonight.
Predictably average tonight. When both goalies start to see 35+ shots against game in and game out next year, its going to be a shock to their system.

This is a preview of what it looks like when one of them did get 35+ shots a game btw... 7.50 gaa
(It's summer league play with no hitting, but not every goalie on that list struggled mightly when over worked.)

Im just saying, be careful who you hype or not hype on this board. Good looking allstar rosters at U16 can mask a true goalies ceiling.

Reactions: Ozymandias

MH

Oct 27, 2023
Updated OHL Cup teams:

GTHL (4)
Mississauga Rebels
North York Rangers
Toronto Marlboros
Vaughan Kings

ALLIANCE (4)
Elgin-Middlesex Canucks
Huron-Perth Lakers
London Jr. Knights
Sun County Panthers

HEO (2)
Ottawa Myers Automotive
Ottawa Valley Titans

NOHA (1)
Team NOHA

USA (1)
TPH Hockey

Wild Cards (6)
Cambridge Hawks
Toronto Jr. Canadiens

Also Thunder Bay Kings

Reactions: OnlyUpFromHere49

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024
Predictably average tonight. When both goalies start to see 35+ shots against game in and game out next year, its going to be a shock to their system.

This is a preview of what it looks like when one of them did get 35+ shots a game btw... 7.50 gaa
(It's summer league play with no hitting, but not every goalie on that list struggled mightly when over worked.)

Im just saying, be careful who you hype or not hype on this board. Good looking allstar rosters at U16 can mask a true goalies ceiling.
I'm not sure I'd use the Prodigy summer thing to identify anything. From what I understand, I'm not sure the goalies get all that much help as it's very offensive minded play.

I think both Beites and Ellsworth are pretty good goalies who likely won't have an issue adapting to more shots in their respective next levels...be it U18, junior b/A or major junior. Are they anything special? I wouldn't go so far as to say 'yes'. They're pretty forutnate with the teams that play in front of them right now. That's not a slight against them...it's just too young of an age to determine the potential.

JRC's Camputaro? I think he's good. The biggest issue with goalies who are blessed with size early on is that they were never forced to really learn the position. A lot of big goalies got special looks and opportunities early on. The big size can be a crutch. Not saying he can't transition into something special..but I don't think he's that now. He lets in some goals that makes you scratch your head sometimes and go "why...how?". He needs to work on his technical game...or mental...or something? He's athletic and he's big...two things you can't teach...so he's got that going for him. Now...is he teachable...that is the big question. He looks like he may have the raw potential. If I found out he's already had decent goalie coaching over the last few years, I would seriously reconsider drafting hin too high.

I think there is a lot of goalie depth in the 2008 age category and the GM's that look further away than Toronto will find a few gems. Some very good goalies will go in later rounds...and some not at all. Will be intersting to see in 2 to 4 years where these kids are at. Choosing them at this age is like playing lawn darts in the dark.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Up until a couple years ago, Beites was playing in Sudbury. He will have gotten a lot of rubber through that time.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You know anything about the London Jr. Knights goalie, Durno?
I played ball hockey with his dad back in the day (also a goalie).
Will Durno get drafted?
hes pretty small but probably

Nyman will be gone in the Top 5.

Next best is Croskery, but he's headed (tendered anyway) to Chicago. Can see London/Kitchener gambling on him.

Next best are probably Blonda/Greer, but both would be a reach (IMO) in the Top 10.
nyman is probably headed ncaa

summer hockey is the worst, dont use it for anything.

hotchips99

Feb 14, 2024
I'm not sure I'd use the Prodigy summer thing to identify anything. From what I understand, I'm not sure the goalies get all that much help as it's very offensive minded play.

I think both Beites and Ellsworth are pretty good goalies who likely won't have an issue adapting to more shots in their respective next levels...be it U18, junior b/A or major junior. Are they anything special? I wouldn't go so far as to say 'yes'. They're pretty forutnate with the teams that play in front of them right now. That's not a slight against them...it's just too young of an age to determine the potential.

JRC's Camputaro? I think he's good. The biggest issue with goalies who are blessed with size early on is that they were never forced to really learn the position. A lot of big goalies got special looks and opportunities early on. The big size can be a crutch. Not saying he can't transition into something special..but I don't think he's that now. He lets in some goals that makes you scratch your head sometimes and go "why...how?". He needs to work on his technical game...or mental...or something? He's athletic and he's big...two things you can't teach...so he's got that going for him. Now...is he teachable...that is the big question. He looks like he may have the raw potential. If I found out he's already had decent goalie coaching over the last few years, I would seriously reconsider drafting hin too high.

I think there is a lot of goalie depth in the 2008 age category and the GM's that look further away than Toronto will find a few gems. Some very good goalies will go in later rounds...and some not at all. Will be intersting to see in 2 to 4 years where these kids are at. Choosing them at this age is like playing lawn darts in the dark.
What a phenomenal performance from Marcus Cruz-D'Annunzio from Don Mills. Literally kept the team in the game with huge acrobatic saves. Was extremely impressed with his stick handling ability and how he delt with the cross seam passes for huge saves.
His stock went up this week.
Would have been interesting to see if DMF had a full roster all year.

hotchips99

Feb 14, 2024
Do suspensions hurt a stock of a player going to the next level?
Does this hurt a player in draft rankings?

Bardown99

Jan 20, 2024
What a phenomenal performance from Marcus Cruz-D'Annunzio from Don Mills. Literally kept the team in the game with huge acrobatic saves. Was extremely impressed with his stick handling ability and how he delt with the cross seam passes for huge saves.
His stock went up this week.
Would have been interesting to see if DMF had a full roster all year.
Any reason he's bounced from 3 different teams in the past 3 straight years though? Its going to be tough for a righty catcher to get serious looks tbh. There are very few doing well at the next level across the province.

Do suspensions hurt a stock of a player going to the next level?
Does this hurt a player in draft rankings?
I believe so. Loose cannons are risky at best. Discipline on and off the ice wins games.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Any reason he's bounced from 3 different teams in the past 3 straight years though? Its going to be tough for a righty catcher to get serious looks tbh. There are very few doing well at the next level across the province.

I believe so. Loose cannons are risky at best. Discipline on and off the ice wins games.
what proof do you have? in your experience what players have been hurt by it?

MH

Oct 27, 2023

I don't know the answer but if a player has a significant number of suspensions it seems to me that it would at least be something to note. If someone had one or two I don't think that would be something to worry about. How much it impacts anything probably depends on the player, the team, type of suspensions, etc. I'm thinking about this logically not from any knowledge base.

I don't know the answer but if a player has a significant number of suspensions it seems to me that it would at least be something to note. If someone had one or two I don't think that would be something to worry about. How much it impacts anything probably depends on the player, the team, type of suspensions, etc. I'm thinking about this logically not from any knowledge base.

I don't know if there was any impact but I think Angus MacDonnell had some suspension issues in U16

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

I don't know if there was any impact but I think Angus MacDonnell had some suspension issues in U16
depends on what and why, but i cannot think of any single player that was not drafted due to a suspension. i can think of players who are on issue issues and get the odd misconduct fall, but thats not about the misconduct or the hockey, as those type of behaviour issues are more a non hockey thing that leaks onto the ice vs a pure hockey thing.

if a kid is kicked out due to to many fights, do we really think hes going to hurt his draft stock? this year it may help it

macdonnell didnt have a u16 season

MH

Oct 27, 2023
depends on what and why, but i cannot think of any single player that was not drafted due to a suspension. i can think of players who are on issue issues and get the odd misconduct fall, but thats not about the misconduct or the hockey, as those type of behaviour issues are more a non hockey thing that leaks onto the ice vs a pure hockey thing.

if a kid is kicked out due to to many fights, do we really think hes going to hurt his draft stock? this year it may help it

macdonnell didnt have a u16 season

Thanks for the clarification and thoughts. I never meant not drafted because of suspensions. Just maybe fall a little in the draft

Just came out. Some changes and interesting analysis. Some will agree. Some won't.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Thanks for the clarification and thoughts. I never meant not drafted because of suspensions. Just maybe fall a little in the draft

Just came out. Some changes and interesting analysis. Some will agree. Some won't.

appriciate the kids passion but he does it from his couch and he talks like he somehow is the smartest guy in the room. belechtz hasnt improved that much, he was that good to start with.

would have respected him more if he just said ' ya, i messed that up', but he didnt' hes not that mature.

Reactions: flamebird

dsanchez1973

Mar 14, 2022

I suspect some teams might mark a player down, but enough don't that it wouldn't really impact a player's stock. eg, if the kid is the 50th consensus ranked player, and even as many as 10 teams have a red line through him due to suspensions, there's still plenty of teams that will see him as a good value pick for their slot and he'll end up being drafted around where he was ranked.

Reactions: Mild Italian and MH

Bardown99

Jan 20, 2024
You know anything about the London Jr. Knights goalie, Durno?
I played ball hockey with his dad back in the day (also a goalie).
Will Durno get drafted?
I think a big reason LJK gets such a high HM (Honorable Mention) in the OHLCup team rankings is because of him tbh. It looks like he rarely loses. We've also seen him in the WSI tourney in Nashville last summer for a few periods too, and he was quite athletic and aware. Might be an underdog pick for someone.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
why would it
He asks because a north york defender is suspended because of a 5 min major yesterday. I was at the other side of the rink. The player who was boarded was not injured. The series has tension, a fight almost happened in game 1 in the 2nd period after big hit from #12 burliegh, who is laying some big hits that drop don mills players at zone entry. Game 4 was high tension too, after that hit some aggressive escalated. Great playoff hockey vibes in the GTHL.

Last edited:

MH

Oct 27, 2023
He asks because a north york defender is suspended because of a 5 min major yesterday. I was at the other side of the rink. The player who was boarded was not injured. The series has tension, a fight almost happened in game 1 in the 2nd period after big hit from #12 burliegh, who is laying some big hits that drop don mills players at zone entry. Game 4 was high tension too, after that hit some aggressive escalated. Great playoff hockey vibes in the GTHL.

Actually he probably is asking because Challenger (also on NYR) got suspended (3rd time this year) and got 6 games. He also got suspended in the playoffs in U15. I didn't see the play this year. Can't comment on it.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
its bizarre s/hes so obsessed with taking down some players.

Actually he probably is asking because Challenger (also on NYR) got suspended (3rd time this year) and got 6 games. He also got suspended in the playoffs in U15. I didn't see the play this year. Can't comment on it.
i would think 90 percent, maybe 99 percent, of scouts down know/care. as long as hes not kicked out for something awful and its just physical play, it wont affect him at all.

Reactions: MH and mapleleaf979

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
3 players in the GTHL are alone in a top tier from my stance. Valentini and Di Lorio are on a separate level than any other GTHL forwards, Why? Best co-ordination, hockey sense and compete. Nyman, lone dman, also in that top tier for the same reasons. Those are the 3 best gthl prospects. Second tier is an interesting convo. Wassilyn, Challenger are in that tier with a few others.

Reactions: MH and Bardown99

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yesterday Don Mills vs North York. Don MIlls best player was #86 Nolan Long. North York scored 2 goals in under a minute to make it 3-1. Coach called a timeout, Long scored within 1 minute to cut the lead to 3-2. Long, broke up a 2-0 while Don MIlls was on the PP, and prevented a 4-1 lead previous to that. He ran PP1 and his sequence of passing and shooting kept things unpredictable.

#92 Lobo was impressive for North York, one of the fastest GTHL players who competes, dangerous rush player with those wheels, can handle the puck.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What are some good defencemen where a team would find between the 6-12 spot of the draft?

I figure kingston will likely get one or if there is a high level goalie like ivankovic again they’ll take a goalie.

Also does anyone have some probable ohl comparables for the defencemen?
Carter Hicks possibly. Alot more upside there when body and strength fills out his frame, with that very smooth skating.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad