2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Ryan Abraham is only 5' 7" and was taken in the 1st round. The debate would be whether he is an impactful player over his career or not?
fair, i just looked in the second round, not the first. i would say he has not turned out to be a top 20 player in the age group personally, but thats me.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Oh I agree, I was just showing an outlier.
indeed, all good

one of the biggest challenges new scouts have, your not looking for the best players in u16, your looking for who will be the best players in the ohl. conversely, your also not looking for the best nhl players either.

Reactions: flamebird

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
i think you need to take a look at the ohl and ask how often a 5'7 player is impactful to the point that they are worth a 2nd round pick. they are rare, and i would suggest they produce a lot more then that.

there are only 2 in the last 5 years (i cant count covid year) that were drafted in the top 40, mcfadden and saganiuk, mcfadden was almost 3 points a game, saganiuk was a point a game but the usa loop is way, way, way harder to score in vs the scta loop.

past history is the best way to predict future success with players.
I think you could be right, and as I dive into the OMHA and Alliance this month I’ll get better viewings of him. My preliminary viewings of him were fantastic so I ranked him as such.

Small forwards can and do produce in the OHL at times, Zach Giroux the most recent example but Michael Catenacci, Petrus Palmu, Mike Petizian to name a few, and that’s assuming we see no growth from him. I think it’s realistic he reaches 5’8-5’9” and those players see success frequently in the OHL.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I wouldnt take him that high. Maybe others would and im not saying im right, im giving my opinion. He is the best player on Markham but isnt maximizing geling with his linemates, without the puck I see low interest. He is very similar to Adam Mascherin.
I disagree, I think he’ll at minimum go top-5, with top-10 talent and be a very good OHL player with significant NHL interest as a 17 year old.

His teammates aside from Neice and Cali just can’t keep up with him. If he was on the Jr. Canadiens let’s say, he’d be neck and neck with Valentini for the scoring race in my opinion.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Good list! Just for fun... Since it's a hockey forum

Guys too high, IMO (top-25), who may go 40-60

Nick Rosetto -- size concerns + how dynamic he can be at that size in the OHL

Nolan Long -- best player on a so/so team but doesn't move the needle enough to be a borderline franchise player (strong term, but I think the top-20 players this year are high quality players)

Crete -- dynamic player in maybe the weakest loop in Ontario (maybe the north). Not an A1 offensive driver and not the biggest guy either.

Guys too low (40-60), that can arguably be in the top-25

Ellsworth -- quality goalie with size and pedigree. Some of gone early in the past few years changing the stigma of taking a goalie early

Kwajah -- plus skater and offensive tools from the back end. Has an 'it' factor flare to his game that translates, along with his tools.

Zurawski -- power finesse player who's the A1 driver on his team. Has a mean streak which is more rare these days in skill players. Good when he was in the GTHL all star game.
I appreciate the input, I am a really big fan of Long, love the progression I’ve seen in his game since last season. Smart kid with a good feel for the game, love his off puck positioning, good skating and a good skillset. If he had a better supporting cast he would look much better and get more recognition.

Reactions: flamebird

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Who is the Biggest riser since the start of the year
For top guys, probably Belchetz.

Also, just to add to plus/minus conversation......it's an absolutely useless stat. Anyone using it to prop up, or cut down a player should be immediately dismissed.

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021
I wouldnt take him that high. Maybe others would and im not saying im right, im giving my opinion. He is the best player on Markham but isnt maximizing geling with his linemates, without the puck I see low interest. He is very similar to Adam Mascherin.
The same Adam Mascherin who had a 100 point season and close to 300 OHL points, and 2nd round pick to the NHL?

Sounds like at top 3 pick to me

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think you could be right, and as I dive into the OMHA and Alliance this month I’ll get better viewings of him. My preliminary viewings of him were fantastic so I ranked him as such.

Small forwards can and do produce in the OHL at times, Zach Giroux the most recent example but Michael Catenacci, Petrus Palmu, Mike Petizian to name a few, and that’s assuming we see no growth from him. I think it’s realistic he reaches 5’8-5’9” and those players see success frequently in the OHL.
but your kind of even answering your own question if you are using mike catenacci, he was drafted in the 8th round 15 years ago. I’m not sure it’s fair to compare palmu, he’s a European. petizian was great too but a 5th round pick, you tedo the draft I’m not sure he’s one of the top 40 players.

you can believe he’s that good, but if he was, we would t be looking at a point a game player. the scta loop is the weakest loop in ontario as well.

have you gone to see any alliance players in Windsor live?

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
but your kind of even answering your own question if you are using mike catenacci, he was drafted in the 8th round 15 years ago. I’m not sure it’s fair to compare palmu, he’s a European. petizian was great too but a 5th round pick, you tedo the draft I’m not sure he’s one of the top 40 players.

you can believe he’s that good, but if he was, we would t be looking at a point a game player. the scta loop is the weakest loop in ontario as well.

have you gone to see any alliance players in Windsor live?
Yes! I have attended a few games,

Lucas Pougnat I think has the best potential as an OHL player on the Jr. Spits. He has really progressed as the season has gone on too, is now super confident with the puck, whereas at the beginning of the season he was more reserved. I think he has excellent potential as an OHL player and I could see him continuing to progress into a very good two-way player in the league.

Kane and Jimenes I imagine will go somewhere in the mid rounds but I didn’t really see anything from them that screamed “OHLer” in the games I watched.

As for kids on the other teams that really impressed me:

Parker Vaughan is so dynamic - he looked every bit of a top-10 kid in this draft, controlled play whenever he stepped on the ice and was a facilitator of offence. Really impressive kid.

Carter Hicks really surprised me with how good he was with the puck on his stick, his frame with his two way potential really stood out. I think he ends up in the first round when teams make their selections.

I still can’t believe McLaughlin is a ‘09, could be the best offensive player in the league now. From what I’ve heard, he’s only gotten better and better throughout the season, too!

Reactions: Section5Petes

dsanchez1973

Mar 14, 2022
Also, just to add to plus/minus conversation......it's an absolutely useless stat. Anyone using it to prop up, or cut down a player should be immediately dismissed.

If I look at a player and he has minus 30 on the year, and I look at the teams goal differential and see even, that's certainly a data point worth thinking about.

plus minus is a stat that was vastly overrated for decades. I think it's swung too far the other direction now - some people have pointed out the flaws with it (how it's used relative to SHG and ENG primarily), and now it's decried as useless. In reality, there's some value in it just like there's value in any other stat, but none of them are the "one true number that means you're good or bad".

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If I look at a player and he has minus 30 on the year, and I look at the teams goal differential and see even, that's certainly a data point worth thinking about.

plus minus is a stat that was vastly overrated for decades. I think it's swung too far the other direction now - some people have pointed out the flaws with it (how it's used relative to SHG and ENG primarily), and now it's decried as useless. In reality, there's some value in it just like there's value in any other stat, but none of them are the "one true number that means you're good or bad".
depends on the context and how its used, in this instance, it was cherry picked to take down a top prospect. and to be frank, we dont even know if that prospect has bad plus minus, it was simply insunuated.

in u16 if your in the gthl (or any other league really) and on a very average team and playing alot (probably too much), youll have a sub par plus minus, talent discrepancy issues.

bakers

Feb 8, 2024
Updated the ranking for February: I think I’m starting to feel more and more comfortable with this class.

For those that were wondering, Adam Valentini has a comfortable cushion on the scoring lead in the GTHL, Over goal per game and 2 points per game.

Wassilyn is around 1.8PPG on the season, but his only help has been Cali and Neice - super impressive statline considering the supporting cast.

The Vaughn Kings are such a well rounded team, think of a player and they’re at or near point per game. Hage, Di Iorio and Bowen are leading the way with Hage and Bowen hovering near 1.5PPG. Gage Brandon is also near a goal per game for them.

bakers

Feb 8, 2024
Belchetz I think will go first and any team will benefit having him on their roster.
Curious about ranking of Atkinson at 32 and Gilby at 50 something. I would think they should be reversed? Also, I don’t see Babin on the list? Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on Gilby and Babin and how you think they would transition to the OHL?

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
2 players I like on North York. Both with excellent compete levels.

#39 Barfoot- 6-0, Defensive centerman mindset plays a middle man game between the 2 d and 2 forwards, choosing who to support and when. Non stop motor, hockey sense, hounds the puck, wins board battles, strips pucks/takeaways etc, excellent forechecker, back checker, wins faceoffs. If he is out there, his line usually has the puck is the net result of his work.

#84 Challenger- 6 foot plus offensive Center, high end speed, great motor, good shot, good hands handling the puck at speed. Confident and dangerous player on the rush. Net front presence to tip pucks from the point on the PP or during zone time. Impressive prospect given the compete level and skill combo.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Just thinking outside the box.
Anthony Figliomeni is the best version in the age group as an agitator with skill.
Is Zurawski an 'agitator' in the GTHL? He plays a heavier game + more skill, I don't know where you draw the agitator line. If you consider him as one, he's better than Figs

Reactions: mapleleaf979 and MH

hotchips99

Feb 14, 2024
Is Zurawski an 'agitator' in the GTHL? He plays a heavier game + more skill, I don't know where you draw the agitator line. If you consider him as one, he's better than Figs
I disagree. Both have different roles on their respective teams.
Figs has 92 PIMs vs 32 PIMS

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Zurawski may be more of a 'skill with agitator' than the reverse. Maybe closer to a Parker Vaughan / Ethan Belchetz than a Figliomeni? Is Zurawski around a point per game?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Zurawski may be more of a 'skill with agitator' than the reverse. Maybe closer to a Parker Vaughan / Ethan Belchetz than a Figliomeni? Is Zurawski around a point per game?

zurawski is more of a top 30 guy becuaose of his skill/work ethic, aggression. he drives the entire team. figliomeni is a good player but he probably is more of a 5/6th round pick, skill is not as high. he doesnt drive his line.

figliomeni is 5'10/190, im not sure how much bigger he could get, zurawski is 5'11/168, still room to grow.

Reactions: HockeyPops

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
2 players I like on North York. Both with excellent compete levels.

#39 Barfoot- 6-0, Defensive centerman mindset plays a middle man game between the 2 d and 2 forwards, choosing who to support and when. Non stop motor, hockey sense, hounds the puck, wins board battles, strips pucks/takeaways etc, excellent forechecker, back checker, wins faceoffs. If he is out there, his line usually has the puck is the net result of his work.

#84 Challenger- 6 foot plus offensive Center, high end speed, great motor, good shot, good hands handling the puck at speed. Confident and dangerous player on the rush. Net front presence to tip pucks from the point on the PP or during zone time. Impressive prospect given the compete level and skill combo.
I also like the defenceman on NYR, Eshkowagon (sp). Though seems a bit small.

Side note - it took me 5+ minutes to try and insert this quote due to the non stop ads. Website sucks for that.

• Haha
Reactions: MH and flamebird

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad