2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Question for you OHL4Life about "big/tall kids playing midget who put up impressive point totals".

As a scout, how do you judge whether this midget player is dominating offensively because of his size advantage OR whether his skill level is likely to translate to the next level (OHL) too?
Maybe there are some kids who put up big numbers in midget owing to their size, but once they get to the O with more physically mature competition, they are unable to duplicate their midget success.
What are scouts looking for that would suggest a carry over from midget to the O?
Thanks.
sure you do, but those are more the thick 6ft guys. a kid that is 6'5 is still going to be massive at the next level as well. you generally can see the guys that matured early, they are usually much thicker, more phyiscally developed, stocky a bit, but if your 6'5, im not sure it really matters at that spot.

both waslynn and valentini are shorter, stocky kids, i would think that they are physically topped out as well, so what does that look like? i dont really worry about it with their abilities, but if you are less skilled with the same body frame, im not sure how well you transition.

Reactions: nelli27

hotchips99

Feb 14, 2024
sure you do, but those are more the thick 6ft guys. a kid that is 6'5 is still going to be massive at the next level as well. you generally can see the guys that matured early, they are usually much thicker, more phyiscally developed, stocky a bit, but if your 6'5, im not sure it really matters at that spot.

both waslynn and valentini are shorter, stocky kids, i would think that they are physically topped out as well, so what does that look like? i dont really worry about it with their abilities, but if you are less skilled with the same body frame, im not sure how well you transition.
I would ask the question; how will they be able to contribute to a bottom team?
Most of these kids never played for mid to bottom teams before.
How will they be able to step in and deal with the losing.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

Thanks. I probably didn't do a good job of wording that question; it was meant to be general, not relating to the 2008 cohort.
I was thinking the other day: "I wonder if there have been huge kids (6'4 and over) playing in the O who were just average players, but put up impressive point totals in midget, I'm talkin' dominated midget but never found that same scoring touch in the O".

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Thanks. I probably didn't do a good job of wording that question; it was meant to be general, not relating to the 2008 cohort.
I was thinking the other day: "I wonder if there have been huge kids (6'4 and over) playing in the O who were just average players, but put up impressive point totals in midget, I'm talkin' dominated midget but never found that same scoring touch in the O".
i can think of two right away, brett hargrave and damien bourne, but there were red flags on their game at the time, they where not the most physical.

I would ask the question; how will they be able to contribute to a bottom team?
Most of these kids never played for mid to bottom teams before.
How will they be able to step in and deal with the losing.
have you followed the ohl in the past? top guys are drafted to bad teams and help make bad teams good. happens every year. with all due respect, this 100 percent seems like a parent asking not really a hockey person. who was the last top 5 pick that played on an awful minor midget team?

MH

Oct 27, 2023
correct, its not public
So to my point the list identified by Hotchips99 is not official for any purpose other than the site that publishes it. Calling it official makes it sound important (clicks and purchases). I'm not saying it's bad. Just not "official".

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
So to my point the list identified by Hotchips99 is not official for any purpose other than the site that publishes it. Calling it official makes it sound important (clicks and purchases). I'm not saying it's bad. Just not "official".
oh i agree on that.

i just find lots of dads hate on them suggesting kids pay to be on it, not the case for them and a few others, its a crutch when dad doesnt see his kid on the list.

Reactions: MH

MH

Oct 27, 2023
i can think of two right away, brett hargrave and damien bourne, but there were red flags on their game at the time, they where not the most physical.

have you followed the ohl in the past? top guys are drafted to bad teams and help make bad teams good. happens every year. with all due respect, this 100 percent seems like a parent asking not really a hockey person. who was the last top 5 pick that played on an awful minor midget team?

If you add a top 5 pick to a bottom team they will be less likely to be a bottom team the next year. Probably they played on a good team in MM because the team was good because they were on it.

hotchips99

Feb 14, 2024
I understand how it works.
I'm talking about the mental side.
You go from playing 22-25 minutes every game, PP1, PK1, playing in deep in tournaments. Then you get thrown into a minimal role until they can contribute. Most these guys never watched the game from the bench. Playing with doubt at that level can really hit you hard.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I understand how it works.
I'm talking about the mental side.
You go from playing 22-25 minutes every game, PP1, PK1, playing in deep in tournaments. Then you get thrown into a minimal role until they can contribute. Most these guys never watched the game from the bench. Playing with doubt at that level can really hit you hard.

ok? but whats your point? the overall point stands, guys are drafted to bad teams and the teams get better, its been that way for years, not just the ohl, the q, w, nhl, etc. they seem to figure it out, and to be honest, most top 5 picks dont sit.

misa had a point a game at 16, do you think he sat on the bench picking up assists?

EDIT: i looked up the ice time for the top 07s

schaefer - 22:47 a game
roobroeck - 18:48 a game
martin - 13:57 a game
hopkins - 12:16 a game
czata - 15:12 a game

im very confused on your overall point here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section5Petes

the dog

May 16, 2014
ok? but whats your point? the overall point stands, guys are drafted to bad teams and the teams get better, its been that way for years, not just the ohl, the q, w, nhl, etc. they seem to figure it out, and to be honest, most top 5 picks dont sit.

misa had a point a game at 16, do you think he sat on the bench picking up assists?

EDIT: i looked up the ice time for the top 07s

schaefer - 22:47 a game
roobroeck - 18:48 a game
martin - 13:57 a game
hopkins - 12:16 a game
czata - 15:12 a game

im very confused on your overall point here.
Where do u find minutes played at site

dsanchez1973

Mar 14, 2022
Question for you OHL4Life about "big/tall kids playing midget who put up impressive point totals".

As a scout, how do you judge whether this midget player is dominating offensively because of his size advantage OR whether his skill level is likely to translate to the next level (OHL) too?
Maybe there are some kids who put up big numbers in midget owing to their size, but once they get to the O with more physically mature competition, they are unable to duplicate their midget success.
What are scouts looking for that would suggest a carry over from midget to the O?
Thanks.

I'm not OHL4Life but I'll give my thoughts as well.

You ever hear all those complaints about "player X runs after the gamesheet guy getting second assists added"? They're always immediately followed by "if you think the scouts care about stats, you're wrong". The truth is more in the middle - there's a reason scouts go to games and watch players instead of just checking gamesheet after and deciding "player x averaged 2 points a game, there's our first round pick".

When a player puts up stats, they're going to get watched more closely. Scouts are watching how they score their points - what kind of shots, what kind of locations. Skating is also going to be heavily scrutinized - what's their stride look like, do they have enough speed, how are their edges? What's their compete level, how do they look when they have to face speed, what do they look like when they have to face similar size opposition? Can they still dominate? Some things translate really well to the next level and some things don't.

There's always going to be a natural bias towards size, but enough teams have been burned drafting coke machines who can't skate that they know what boxes they want a big kid to check off. However, sometimes, as with any drafting of a 16 year old...there's a crapshoot element to it.

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024
How much impact does the OHL U16 combine have on the draft? If I'm not mistaken, I think it's typically held a week before. I have heard that not all top players attend....and I have seen some players go but end up not getting drafted at all.

Also, why would those considered top-end not go? Fear of dropping in rank or just because, to them, it's not necessary?

Reactions: hotchips99

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
A lot of players on the top teams are still nursing injuries at that time of year and not 100%. You can still play if you are banged up, but attending a combine? Good luck.

Reactions: AAAdad

dsanchez1973

Mar 14, 2022
How much impact does the OHL U16 combine have on the draft? If I'm not mistaken, I think it's typically held a week before. I have heard that not all top players attend....and I have seen some players go but end up not getting drafted at all.

Also, why would those considered top-end not go? Fear of dropping in rank or just because, to them, it's not necessary?

Minimal impact. Might be a little more interesting for the goalies since they'll face consistently strong opposition after many of them coming from powerhouses where they faced few shots most games.

For top players, there's little to gain and only really downside. All of these players have been seen multiple times, no 3 on 3 game in the middle of summer is going to change anyone's opinion, except to the negative (eg, a kid looks slow and the assessment is "not putting in the work in the offseason").

Reactions: AAAdad

MH

Oct 27, 2023
Just saw this:

The 2024 OHL Priority Selection will once again be conducted online beginning with Rounds 1-3 on Friday, April 12th at 7:00pm followed by Rounds 4-15 on Saturday, April 13th. You can follow the entire process online at www.ontariohockeyleague.com and streaming live on OHL Live

OHL Cup ends March 30. If there is a combine it would have to be April 5 weekend.

Reactions: OHLTG

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Just saw this:

The 2024 OHL Priority Selection will once again be conducted online beginning with Rounds 1-3 on Friday, April 12th at 7:00pm followed by Rounds 4-15 on Saturday, April 13th. You can follow the entire process online at www.ontariohockeyleague.com and streaming live on OHL Live

OHL Cup ends March 30. If there is a combine it would have to be April 5 weekend.
Have friends that have a son in this age group and they were told likely is April 4th for the combine.

Edit - sorry meant that would be the day they travel and report for the combine.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Updated the ranking for February: I think I’m starting to feel more and more comfortable with this class.

For those that were wondering, Adam Valentini has a comfortable cushion on the scoring lead in the GTHL, Over goal per game and 2 points per game.

Wassilyn is around 1.8PPG on the season, but his only help has been Cali and Neice - super impressive statline considering the supporting cast.

The Vaughn Kings are such a well rounded team, think of a player and they’re at or near point per game. Hage, Di Iorio and Bowen are leading the way with Hage and Bowen hovering near 1.5PPG. Gage Brandon is also near a goal per game for them.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Updated the ranking for February: I think I’m starting to feel more and more comfortable with this class.

For those that were wondering, Adam Valentini has a comfortable cushion on the scoring lead in the GTHL, Over goal per game and 2 points per game.

Wassilyn is around 1.8PPG on the season, but his only help has been Cali and Neice - super impressive statline considering the supporting cast.

The Vaughn Kings are such a well rounded team, think of a player and they’re at or near point per game. Hage, Di Iorio and Bowen are leading the way with Hage and Bowen hovering near 1.5PPG. Gage Brandon is also near a goal per game for them.
Adam Valentini will sure look good in Maroon and White!

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

I dont see him going that high. He is very disengaged without the puck and also tends to do things to much on his own, forces the issue. Smith should be a top 3 pick. Nyman also can contend for 1st overall, imo.

Reactions: arhockey and MH

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I dont see him going that high. He is very disengaged without the puck and also tends to do things to much on his own, forces the issue. Smith should be a top 3 pick. Nyman also can contend for 1st overall, imo.
Don’t see him going top 3? What Wassilyn has done for an average Majors squad is crazy no matter which way you slice it. Has nearly double the point as his next closest teammate.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014

Are you down on Petes Fitzgerald and Mitchell? What round do you think they go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad