2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

hotchips99

Feb 14, 2024
For the parents that are 16u, has any OHL teams reached out to you prior to the draft?
Not sure what to expect before the Draft.

hockeydad1317

Feb 15, 2024
For the parents that are 16u, has any OHL teams reached out to you prior to the draft?
Not sure what to expect before the Draft.
My son is U16 this year and he’s heard from 6 teams so far but have heard that many teams don’t start reaching out to families until league playoffs are finishing. The teams we’ve heard from are also the ones we hear have been the most active in setting up interviews.

dsanchez1973

Mar 14, 2022
My son is U16 this year and he’s heard from 6 teams so far but have heard that many teams don’t start reaching out to families until league playoffs are finishing. The teams we’ve heard from are also the ones we hear have been the most active in setting up interviews.
Interviews are the worst part of the draft process for players.

First - most of the people running teams have little or no experience in running interviews. They come from a hockey background and aren't trained properly. It's less an interview and more of a "let's just check the vibe with this kid".

Second - the interview process is 95% weeding people out. The best you can generally hope for from the player side of the interview is to not hurt your draft stock; you'll rarely improve it.

The best things you can do to prepare for an interview from the player perspective:

1) Do a little research. Know who the coaches are and the key players on the team. Know the name of the arena they play in. Know what their record was last year and how their season ended. Have some idea of the depth chart at your kids position in terms of age distribution (eg, if your kid is a dman, do they have all 19 year olds or are they looking to fill in for some OAs?). These guys live and breathe their team every day and it's a nice sign of respect to look like you at least care a bit about their team.

2) This sounds obvious, but leave your phone with someone else while the interview is happening.

3) Present yourself professionally. Whether the interview is in person or via zoom, show up properly dressed. Maybe not full suit and tie, but at least a button up shirt. Firm handshake, eye contact. If the interview is via zoom, sit at a well lit quiet space with a good internet connection and good microphone. Don't slap in some earbuds, fire up the iphone and sink into your couch.

4) Focus on talking about the process and not the result. Some examples of how I'd advise a kid to answer questions like:

"What do you hope to accomplish in the OHL?"

Answer: If I get the opportunity, what I want to do is improve every day. If I'm getting great coaching, becoming a better teammate, and working hard in practice, the results take care of themselves.

"Is it your goal to play in the NHL?"

Answer: Everyone wants to make it to the NHL, but only a few do. For me, the things I need to do to make it to the NHL and the things I need to do to be successful in the OHL are identical - improve both on the ice and off.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

First - most of the people running teams have little or no experience in running interviews. They come from a hockey background and aren't trained properly. It's less an interview and more of a "let's just check the vibe with this kid".

Second - the interview process is 95% weeding people out. The best you can generally hope for from the player side of the interview is to not hurt your draft stock; you'll rarely improve it.

The best things you can do to prepare for an interview from the player perspective:

1) Do a little research. Know who the coaches are and the key players on the team. Know the name of the arena they play in. Know what their record was last year and how their season ended. Have some idea of the depth chart at your kids position in terms of age distribution (eg, if your kid is a dman, do they have all 19 year olds or are they looking to fill in for some OAs?). These guys live and breathe their team every day and it's a nice sign of respect to look like you at least care a bit about their team.

2) This sounds obvious, but leave your phone with someone else while the interview is happening.

3) Present yourself professionally. Whether the interview is in person or via zoom, show up properly dressed. Maybe not full suit and tie, but at least a button up shirt. Firm handshake, eye contact. If the interview is via zoom, sit at a well lit quiet space with a good internet connection and good microphone. Don't slap in some earbuds, fire up the iphone and sink into your couch.

4) Focus on talking about the process and not the result. Some examples of how I'd advise a kid to answer questions like:

Answer: If I get the opportunity, what I want to do is improve every day. If I'm getting great coaching, becoming a better teammate, and working hard in practice, the results take care of themselves.

Answer: Everyone wants to make it to the NHL, but only a few do. For me, the things I need to do to make it to the NHL and the things I need to do to be successful in the OHL are identical - improve both on the ice and off.
As a poster that finds the draft thread interesting can you clarify your point on people running teams have no experience in conducting interviews. Do you mean OHL franchises have no experience or someone else? One would hope an OHL franchise has that part covered.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
What's the source of these stats? I don't see them anywhere other than this list.
Interesting, just discovered that Elite Prospects has the stats. If you click U16AAA they list the players:
1708094661164.png

EDIT: upon further inspection, it appears only the North York Rangers stats are in Elite Prospects. The other GTHL teams are not updated. Hmmm.

hotchips99

Feb 14, 2024
Interesting, just discovered that Elite Prospects has the stats. If you click U16AAA they list the players:
View attachment 820766

EDIT: upon further inspection, it appears only the North York Rangers stats are in Elite Prospects. The other GTHL teams are not updated. Hmmm.
GTHL does keep stats but doesn't leave the link open to view during season like OMHA.
Not sure how NYR stats are updated (not sure is accurate), Elite Prospects will only update stats with an active link.

MH

Oct 27, 2023
View attachment 820766

That's the list that was posted. The source of the stats isnot clear

hotchips99

Feb 14, 2024
As a scout/parent, is it a thing to contact OHL teams prior to the draft and send them information regarding your player?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
As a scout/parent, is it a thing to contact OHL teams prior to the draft and send them information regarding your player?
sorry, what do you mean scout parent? thats a bit of an oxymoron, scouts need to objective, parents are very much not.

why would you send things to teams?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Like a Sports Resume. Achievements and so on.
and you think that scouts do that or? im still confused on the scout thing

heres my question for you, scouts see every team 20/30 times ever year, what do you think that resume would add?

the hardest thing that parents have to accept is that no matter what they do, this draft is about the kid and how much growth he has in his game.

some teams are better then others, most kids picked (60-70 percent) will never be good enough to be in the league. you could send me a resume, but why would i care about it if the player on the ice doesnt fit what my team wants?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Maybe they mean player agent rather than scout?
i could see that. most agents that are true agents just talk to scouts to get feedback, they talk their guys up but do it fairly and accept and offer two way feedback. the good ones dont take a cent and dont need to make up a resume.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Crazy Braidy Wassilyn is expected to go #1 and we can't see his stats anywhere? Absurd. Does anyone know his stats for this season?

How has he looked compared to Valentini, Mclean and Belchetz?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Crazy Braidy Wassilyn is expected to go #1 and we can't see his stats anywhere? Absurd. Does anyone know his stats for this season?

How has he looked compared to Valentini, Mclean and Belchetz?
GTHL hasn't released stats during the season for years now.

BiffTannen

Oct 2, 2022

5) Have a good comparable player in the NHL or OHL. If you say McDavid, Crosby, Matthews, Makar, Hedman etc, its like cyptonite to their ears. Use a comparable that is what your profile is as a player (know your profile) and say someone who fits that exactly. Using historical players is also a good way of impressing the teams as well.

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024
the hardest thing that parents have to accept is that no matter what they do, this draft is about the kid and how much growth he has in his game.
This ^^^

And...this draft is not the 'end all and be all' of your kid's desire/journey in the game. Many kids still require growth, maturity and minutes under them and could be recognized in the U18 draft in following years.

I know of many stories where kids were overlooked in AAA tryouts, CJHL and CHL drafts....and still went on to play in the ECHL, AHL, and NHL. Not the most common path to take but everyone has their own journey and their passion will dictate how long and hard they continue to try.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
This ^^^

And...this draft is not the 'end all and be all' of your kid's desire/journey in the game. Many kids still require growth, maturity and minutes under them and could be recognized in the U18 draft in following years.

I know of many stories where kids were overlooked in AAA tryouts, CJHL and CHL drafts....and still went on to play in the ECHL, AHL, and NHL. Not the most common path to take but everyone has their own journey and their passion will dictate how long and hard they continue to try.
totally fair, once in a while there’s a Jacob Julien pop out of no where, but the u18 draft has shown those guys are truly the exception not the rule. I would worn dads that the ncaa route is a much harder route then the OHL is. 80/100 kids a year are drafted and signed to OHL contracts, way less then that go ncaa a year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad