2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Clarke will be a top underrated candidate, stay at home D man. A great D in his own end. His +\- speaks for itself especially on the team he’s playing on. Comparable to guys like Luke Schenn someone who takes pride on the D side of the game.

This guy only talks about Clarke and is clearly affiliated, which is a shame.
Well.... that account delete was quick, lol

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021
Anyone know which kids have blinding speed to complement their skillset? Knights like to draft speed demons (Double A, Foudy, Formenton, Barkey, Cowan, etc...)
Another fun one

Players with blazing speed
- Crete (UCC)
- Chamberlain (Marlies)
- Lobo (NYR)
- Perrier (Valley Titans)
- Kelly (JRC)
- Rouselle (Grey-Bruce)
- Adamo (Niagara)
- Cunningham (Petes)
- Wassilyn (Majors)
- Amidovski (Barrie)

dsanchez1973

Mar 14, 2022
Team Canada finished the round robin of the Youth Olympic games this morning beating Finland 4-1 to finish 2-0 and first in their group. Vaughan Kings forward Alessandro Di Iorio had a hat trick in the win. Not much from the Ontario kids in the two games outside of Di Iorio. Di Iorio has 4G/1A, Adam Valentini has 1G, and Beckham Edwards has 1A. Colin Ellisworth had three saves in the third period of an 8-0 win over South Korea. Canada plays in the semis tomorrow morning against the USA
Then lost to the USA in the semis. Canada outshot them 42-16 and lost 6-5 in a shootout.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Then lost to the USA in the semis. Canada outshot them 42-16 and lost 6-5 in a shootout.
I'm no goalie expert but they ran the West goalie (Esler) all 3 games straight, which seems odd.

He gave up 3 on 9 shots to the US and was pulled for Mateo Beites (Barrie).

I thought they'd have Ellsworth as the backup, but who knows what went on over there.

Canada went 0 for 3 in the shootout, USA 1 for 3.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
the post above is all 100 percent good info. size is the biggest factor right now, no doubt, some teams get too hung up on it at times (see carter george) but i cant say that its a non factor, it is.

teams proiritize goalies differently, there will be teams that identify goalies and need them right away, so they will drat them in the top 3/4 rounds, once one goes you generally see a few go. bigger goalies 6'1 and above get more love then goalies that are 5'11 and below, regardless of teams. i remember hunter jones was on the worst team in ontario but was one of the first goalies drafted because of his size and athletisism.

if your goalie son is 5'7 but plays like he's 6'4, relying on his size and station to station play to make saves then the thought will be that he will struggle to move forward. the shorter the goalie the more competitive and skilled, athletic he needs to be.

i think every team uses this draft to bring in future goalies, just some are better then others. hamilton is very good, kitchener i think is very good, owen sound and north bay for me are all very good identifiers on goalies. a team like sudbury seems to really struggle and constantly trading for other teams backups. every team in theory needs this draft to bring in future goalies, just for whatever reason some are better then others.

believe me i get it, i just remember seeing someone like nick sinclair from iss, lafortune from the scout, thacker from hockey prospect out at every tournament and every showcase. they did it and did it well, the financial side didnt seem to be a factor, no reason the new age of scouts cant either.

i do see a few younger scouts at gams just making face time and hoepfully improve their craft. i hope that for thier sake the keep at it and remain patient, they will get rewarded sooner then the video guys imo.
Flint drafts and or develops pretty good too I think. Kyle Keyser, Luke Cavallin, Nathan Day. Jacob Brown looks good so far. They took Michelone really late and it took awhile but he’s half decent now. I think it’s hard in the O to recruit though. If my kid is a goalie, I’m definetly leaning towards the longer developmental path of the NCAA unless he’s just lights out.

Reactions: HockeyPops

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Flint drafts and or develops pretty good too I think. Kyle Keyser, Luke Cavallin, Nathan Day. Jacob Brown looks good so far. They took Michelone really late and it took awhile but he’s half decent now. I think it’s hard in the O to recruit though. If my kid is a goalie, I’m definetly leaning towards the longer developmental path of the NCAA unless he’s just lights out.
problem is if your from Ontario the ncaa generally doesn’t look at you. how many Ontario goalies are ncaa committed right now?

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Another fun one

Players with blazing speed
- Crete (UCC)
- Chamberlain (Marlies)
- Lobo (NYR)
- Perrier (Valley Titans)
- Kelly (JRC)
- Rouselle (Grey-Bruce)
- Adamo (Niagara)
- Cunningham (Petes)
- Wassilyn (Majors)
- Amidovski (Barrie)
Crete, Lobo, Amidovski... (Haven't seen much of the others), those guys I can definitely confirm have elite level speed... Disclaimer, when I think of elite speed, I'm thinking of the Lardis/Kreider/Larkin/McDavid players of the world for this category...

Reactions: nelli27

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024
problem is if your from Ontario the ncaa generally doesn’t look at you. how many Ontario goalies are ncaa committed right now?
Is there a particular reason for that? Not enough good goalies coming out of Ontario? Or is it because most of the good ones go CHL? I know of a handful of goalies that have either gone DIV1 or are going that came from Ontario Junior A. Devon Levi is probably the biggest name in recent memory.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
The OJHL has 3 current goalies atleast (could be more) committed to NCAA D1 schools for next year or beyond.

Problem is, a lot of the elite are leaving to play Jr. A out west, BCHL/AJHL, that's a whole other can or worms currently....

Players either head west to get scholarships, or the teams they're committed to want them out there playing at a higher level than the OJ.

The OJHL as currently constructed, is a disaster.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
Is there a particular reason for that? Not enough good goalies coming out of Ontario? Or is it because most of the good ones go CHL? I know of a handful of goalies that have either gone DIV1 or are going that came from Ontario Junior A. Devon Levi is probably the biggest name in recent memory.
I think the model used by most organizations around goalie development is and has been broken for decades. Despite the improvement in private goalie clinics and the numerous new options now available to kids(actually parents) the way most goalies are handled by the individual teams hasn't evolved. I think that is one of the primary reasons we've seen Canadian goaltending go so far downhill over the past decade. Being involved for a long time as a volunteer on a board at a very large hockey association in the GTA we first ignored that we had a problem then struggled to find a reasonable solution. By the time I left the board we were committed to starting to support kids who wanted to play goalie very early on by providing skills for goalies even in the pre-GTHL age groups so that good habits and better understanding of the discipline took hold. I think as a whole Canadian hockey programs need to figures out a better way to use goalies in their overall team practices and not just dump them on goalie coaches at a different facility or use them as targets during the practices.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
personally I think it’s financial but I’m not sure. if there are equal talented goalies in the US then they just stay in the us.

The OJHL has 3 current goalies atleast (could be more) committed to NCAA D1 schools for next year or beyond.

Problem is, a lot of the elite are leaving to play Jr. A out west, BCHL/AJHL, that's a whole other can or worms currently....

Players either head west to get scholarships, or the teams they're committed to want them out there playing at a higher level than the OJ.

id be interested to see how many Ontario born goalies commit from different leagues too. pak in collingwood is damn good, but he’s the only one that I can really think of.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018

Interesting discussion about goalies. Let's dig a bit. Here are the goalies currently playing CCHL, OJHL, GOJHL, NOJHL, BCHL, AJHL that have college commitments and are from Ontario, according to what I found on collegecommitments.com

01/02/24 LABRE, Dawson G The Ohio State University Buckeyes Smiths Falls Bears (CCHL) 2024-25 Quebec
12/15/23 HODGES, Tyler G Dartmouth College Big Green Nanaimo Clippers (BCHL) 2024-25
11/27/23 BONISTEEL, Benjamin G Canisius College Golden Griffins Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) 2024-25
06/22/23 APPLEBEE, Rorke G Lake Superior State Univ. Lakers West Kelowna Warriors (BCHL) 2024-25 Quebec
01/04/23 BIRON, Jacob G U.S. Military Academy (Army) Black Knights Kemptville 73's (CCHL) 2024-25 American
10/08/21 PAK, Noah G Yale University Bulldogs Collingwood Blues (OJHL) 2024-25

Apologize for any errors/omissions.

Last edited:

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Finn Wilson as well, though he was recently traded from Georgetown (OJ) to Caledonia (GO)

Edit *My bad, looked incorrectly. Wilson a London Knights prospect

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Interesting discussion about goalies. Let's dig a bit. Here are the goalies currently playing CCHL, OJHL, GOJHL, NOJHL, BCHL, AJHL that have college commitments and are from Ontario, according to what I found on collegecommitments.com

01/02/24 LABRE, Dawson G The Ohio State University Buckeyes Smiths Falls Bears (CCHL) 2024-25 Quebec
12/15/23 HODGES, Tyler G Dartmouth College Big Green Nanaimo Clippers (BCHL) 2024-25
11/27/23 BONISTEEL, Benjamin G Canisius College Golden Griffins Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) 2024-25
06/22/23 APPLEBEE, Rorke G Lake Superior State Univ. Lakers West Kelowna Warriors (BCHL) 2024-25 Quebec
01/04/23 BIRON, Jacob G U.S. Military Academy (Army) Black Knights Kemptville 73's (CCHL) 2024-25 American
10/08/21 PAK, Noah G Yale University Bulldogs Collingwood Blues (OJHL) 2024-25

Apologize for any errors/omissions.

that’s kind of my point. not much

dsanchez1973

Mar 14, 2022
I'm no goalie expert but they ran the West goalie (Esler) all 3 games straight, which seems odd.

He gave up 3 on 9 shots to the US and was pulled for Mateo Beites (Barrie).

I thought they'd have Ellsworth as the backup, but who knows what went on over there.

Canada went 0 for 3 in the shootout, USA 1 for 3.
Lost the bronze medal game 5-4 (shootout) to Finland who they'd beaten in the prelim round 4-1. Legitimately shocking to see they put in Esler as the starter again, for the fourth game in four days (though by the stats he looks to have played well). Have to imagine Ellsworth and Beites are having some second thoughts about their Team Canada experience.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Have to imagine Ellsworth and Beites are having some second thoughts about their Team Canada experience.
Beites played some in the semi final. Believe he was put in during the 2nd period after Esler was pulled. Played the 3rd obviously, plus the shootout.

Ellsworth looked to play only 4 minutes total the entire tournament. Long way to go for 4 minutes.

Tough spot for Beites to come in during the Semi as well, after not seeing any playing time up to that point.

Oh well, HC gonna HC.

Di Iorio looked like he should contend for first overall at the olympics. Much better than Valentini and Wassilyn.
He was certainly the best forward amongst the group, especially after the 1 Ruck twin went down with injury.

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024
Beites played some in the semi final. Believe he was put in during the 2nd period after Esler was pulled. Played the 3rd obviously, plus the shootout.

Ellsworth looked to play only 4 minutes total the entire tournament. Long way to go for 4 minutes.

Tough spot for Beites to come in during the Semi as well, after not seeing any playing time up to that point.

Oh well, HC gonna HC.
Team Canada's Head coach was Ryan Smith...also the head coach for the WHL's Spokane Chiefs. Spokane Chiefs drafted Carter Esler at 22 overall as their highest-ever goalie in last year's WHL draft. Coincidence that Esler played the bulk of the tourney? No...Smith was just taking and promoting his own guy. No chance for the other two to see much meaningful time.

Ellsworth played the entire 3rd period in the game against Korea...15 minutes and faced only 3 shots. I would have liked to see Beites given more time...coming in cold, he did what he could do in that loss to USA. I would have started him in the bronze medal game...and Ellsworth backing up. Esler had his time.

Speaking about smaller goalies not getting recognition...Esler was the smallest coming in at 5'9.

Last edited:

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Ellsworth played the entire 3rd period in the game against Korea...15 minutes and faced only 3 shots. I would have liked to see Beites given more time...coming in cold, he did what he could do in that loss to USA. I would have started him in the bronze medal game...and Ellsworth backing up. Esler had his time.
Agreed.

Or at least give Ellsworth/Beites the more meaningful time vs. a completely out matched Korea team.

Or as you said, start either vs. Finland in the bronze medal.

Reactions: AAAdad

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021
TheScout.ca just posted their top 300 ranking but I don't know if I'm allowed to share here

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
TheScout.ca just posted their top 300 ranking but I don't know if I'm allowed to share here
Don't believe so, as it's a pay for play site.

Not sure the exact rules for HF.

I think people can ask general questions, but not 100% on that.

Any surprises at the top?

Are goalies included in the ranking, or separate ranking all together?

Reactions: Section5Petes

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021
I've watched a lot of U16 hockey this year and I would say it's pretty accurate but obviously everyone has their opinion on guys.

I wouldn't say there's a sticker shock surprise of where a player is ranked near the top.

They tweeted out they have Di Iorio at #8 so that's public knowledge.

They have goalies included in their list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad