2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I think you need to judge the accuracy of those rankings. I still remember Pete’s fans jumping up and down because they drafted cole petey and judd katz years ago based on one website
well I was definitely not one of those people lol but you are 100% right. either way hope they can hit with that 2nd…

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021
Petes have Ottawas 2nd round pick this draft; any chance of Croskery, Nyman, Greer, Blonda, Xu, or Hicks with that pick?
Croskery and Nyman are going first round 100%, Greer and Blonda could slip into the 2nd, but could be first rounders. Xu will be a 2nd round pick I think. Hicks I could see falling into the 3rd, but a 2nd round grade wouldn't be farfetched.

It's all about a teams tolerance for drafting smaller dmen, Nyman, Greer and Blonda all fall into that category.

Reactions: Section5Petes

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Cool to see you found you all found out I updated it. I wasn’t going to until the end of the season but when someone pointed out to me it had 40,000 clicks or something crazy like that - it’s the first thing that pops up when you search OHL draft rankings online. I didn’t want inaccurate information being spread on how I think things are right now. Need to keep a somewhat solid reputation lol

It’d be cool to get a list of which Americans fall under OHL entrapment this year so I can accurately rank those guys, even if they’ll never report.

I’ll try to update it monthly going forward and I’ll take out Dube since I was unaware he’s Q Eligible. I still need to watch a lot of kids, and it’s difficult to find time to do that with my role at McKeens but I’ll make due. I’ll keep my finger on the pulse.

FrankieC

Dec 29, 2023
just a note, smaller d specifically, are very hard to transition to the OHL, they need to be high end. forwards as well but they are easier to hide in a lineup.

I don’t think any d under 5’8 went in the first 4/5 rounds last year, so if a list has lots of small guys, specifically d, I’m not sure how accurate it will end up.

Every scout has thier own bias, but the job is to determine who the best OHL player will be, not who your favourite players are. the league on average doesn’t seem to have the appetite to take smaller d early.
If you work for a team and have that viewpoint then it is no wonder hockey is regressing.
Hockey is too full of "scouts" who are obsessed with size and cant understand the cognitive aspects of a player.. I look forward to the return of the dead puck era..

Reactions: MH

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021
If you work for a team and have that viewpoint then it is no wonder hockey is regressing.
Hockey is too full of "scouts" who are obsessed with size and cant understand the cognitive aspects of a player.. I look forward to the return of the dead puck era..
Hockey is regressing? Now that's a take.

Hockey is getting faster and faster every year, but it's still a physical sport, especially in the OHL. It's one of the most physical junior leagues in the world and it's difficult to have a bunch of small kids on your team.

Teams build their rosters appropriately with the physical demands of the OHL.

Him being a scout for an OHL team, he has to consider the size and physically of the players his team is drafting.

Hockey is better suited for smaller players now with certain changes in the game, but no OHL team is winning with 5+ kids being 5'9 and under.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

Hockey is getting faster and faster every year, but it's still a physical sport, especially in the OHL. It's one of the most physical junior leagues in the world and it's difficult to have a bunch of small kids on your team.

Him being a scout for an OHL team, he has to consider the size and physically of the players his team is drafting.

Hockey is better suited for smaller players now with certain changes in the game, but no OHL team is winning with 5+ kids being 5'9 and under.
especially on the back end. I’m not asking you but the general board, who is the last 5’7 defenceman that was impactful at the OHL level.

even the nhl, teams are trying to mimick Vegas who had a d full of angry bears

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
seems like a bit of an emotional reply.

what was the size of the Pete’s defence core last year? Hamilton the year before. no emotional pot shots, just look at the successful teams in the league and see how many smaller d were in their core group

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankGallagher

FrankieC

Dec 29, 2023
seems like a bit of an emotional reply.

what was the size of the Pete’s defence core last year? Hamilton the year before. no emotional pit shots, just look at the successful teams in the league and see how many smaller d were in their core group
Nah.. that's a confirmation bias..if you stock the league with a certain type of player, then of course the winning teams would have those types of players. Smaller kids are excluded way, way, before their O draft year regardless of how good they are or could be..so how could their be enough of them to form a meaningful group to astutely analyze..

especially on the back end. I’m not asking you but the general board, who is the last 5’7 defenceman that was impactful at the OHL level.

even the nhl, teams are trying to mimick Vegas who had a d full of angry bears
And that why "scouts' are seen with skepticism..they just copy cat the last winning teams. Before it was shifty, puck moving D and now it's big 'bear" D. Not at focusing on the cognitive aspect of the players regardless of size.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Nah.. that's a confirmation bias..if you stock the league with a certain type of player, then of course the winning teams would have those types of players. Smaller kids are excluded way, way, before their O draft year regardless of how good they are or could be..so how could their be enough of them to form a meaningful group to astutely analyze..

And that why "scouts' are seen with skepticism..they just copy cat the last winning teams. Before it was shifty, puck moving D and now it's big 'bear" D. Not at focusing on the cognitive aspect of the players regardless of size.

what scouting expereince do you have?

smaller d are drafted all the time, just not in the top few rounds. if they are better then the bigger guys, why would they be cut? 20 teams constantly cut better defenceman becuase they all hate smaller d, or because the smaller d struggle to defend. do those smaller d end up in d1?

FrankieC

Dec 29, 2023

It is absolutely not faster today than it was a decade ago. Nor is it at the pro level..The players may be faster but, the over all game play is slower. At the aggregate the current kids are more robotic and struggle with decision making. Hence the regression.

my contention isn't that a team needs to primarily rostered with 5ft8 players, more so that any scouts that leads in their analysis with a players size does the game a disservice as the game needs more thinkers not less.

And the game today isn't that physical. Especially to when my generation played so, many medium sized kids can certainly handle it.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Cool to see you found you all found out I updated it. I wasn’t going to until the end of the season but when someone pointed out to me it had 40,000 clicks or something crazy like that - it’s the first thing that pops up when you search OHL draft rankings online. I didn’t want inaccurate information being spread on how I think things are right now. Need to keep a somewhat solid reputation lol

It’d be cool to get a list of which Americans fall under OHL entrapment this year so I can accurately rank those guys, even if they’ll never report.

I’ll try to update it monthly going forward and I’ll take out Dube since I was unaware he’s Q Eligible. I still need to watch a lot of kids, and it’s difficult to find time to do that with my role at McKeens but I’ll make due. I’ll keep my finger on the pulse.
i have to ask, it seems like 3/4 online twitter scouts have jude bray as a top 20 pick. do you really think that someone at 5'7 can be successful at the ohl level? last one was maybe moore in niagra and he was way heavier and played more physical then bray does

It is absolutely not faster today than it was a decade ago. Nor is it at the pro level..The players may be faster but, the over all game play is slower. At the aggregate the current kids are more robotic and struggle with decision making. Hence the regression.

my contention isn't that a team needs to primarily rostered with 5ft8 players, more so that any scouts that leads in their analysis with a players size does the game a disservice as the game needs more thinkers not less.

And the game today isn't that physical. Especially to when my generation played so, many medium sized kids can certainly handle it.
the good news is that tones of smaller d get drafted outside of the first few rounds, its just that for whatever reason they can't seem to make it. maybe its a conspiracy amount all 20 teams and 32 nhl teams lol

FrankieC

Dec 29, 2023
what scouting expereince do you have?

smaller d are drafted all the time, just not in the top few rounds. if they are better then the bigger guys, why would they be cut? 20 teams constantly cut better defenceman becuase they all hate smaller d, or because the smaller d struggle to defend. do those smaller d end up in d1?
None. But, that's irrelevant as I have interacted/observed many through my years and know firsthand it isn't exactly a science.

To answer your question, smaller D, in fact smaller players of any positions have to overcome bias before they even play. Thus any mistake they make is magnified while a 6ft+ D can get away with those mistakes.
And my argument isn't that the O should be stocked with 5ft7 D, it's that those kids are not given a real opportunity as scouts fill the league with more Eemeli Räsänens types.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
None. But, that's irrelevant as I have interacted/observed many through my years and know firsthand it isn't exactly a science.

To answer your question, smaller D, in fact smaller players of any positions have to overcome bias before they even play. Thus any mistake they make is magnified while a 6ft+ D can get away with those mistakes.
And my argument isn't that the O should be stocked with 5ft7 D, it's that those kids are not given a real opportunity as scouts fill the league with more Eemeli Räsänens types.
what evidence do you have for your hypothesis.

• Haha
Reactions: Isaac Nootin

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Are you disputing that smaller players are excluded before their U15 year purely on their size.
If the kid can't handle it fine but, that is not the case.
when did this debate turn into u15? I have no idea what does or does not happen before u16, but I see u16 players at 5’3, 5’5, etc all the time on every team. best team in Ontario has quite a few players under 5’8. now if your not as skilled and under 5’8, I can see how hard it can be to play u16, but that’s on the player for not being skilled enough. I didn’t scout last year but I remember a team had a 5’0 forward who didn’t have a ton of skill but worked his ass off and was effective.

But again, I ask, outside of ‘because I may so’, what actual proof do you have that more effective players are cut due to size? Where do they go after that, not like tones of smaller D are going to D1 out of Ontario either

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
i have to ask, it seems like 3/4 online twitter scouts have jude bray as a top 20 pick. do you really think that someone at 5'7 can be successful at the ohl level? last one was maybe moore in niagra and he was way heavier and played more physical then bray does

the good news is that tones of smaller d get drafted outside of the first few rounds, its just that for whatever reason they can't seem to make it. maybe its a conspiracy amount all 20 teams and 32 nhl teams lol
for me, personally outside of some Alliance games I’ve attended this year, all I have to go off of is words of people at the rink and video.

As you know, video doesn’t tell all. It’s a great tool but unless your at the rink speaking to the parents and coaches it’s difficult to really get a good grasp on things.

All I have to go off of on Bray is his play, video and past preformances. He is comfortably leading the Marlboro’s D in scoring and regularly getting the most minutes and looking the most dynamic. I don’t have access to information on how big his parents are so I don’t know if he has the potential to grow past his small stature, or how mature the kid is - all I have is video, and in it Bray looks impressive.

If Bray doesn’t grow past his current height, I’d agree I have him too high, but I always like to give 15/16 year olds leeway in that they *Could* grow until I learn otherwise.

I imagine there are very few publications that actually send people to the rink to watch all these kids play multiple times a year. If you can get clicks with just watching video, it’s more cost effective and you’re going to do that.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
do scouts usually wear team apparel or is it only a select few. Ive seen the Kitcheners, windsors 67s etc. albeit I can put some faces to teams as well but I’ve been to a couple of the big events this year for the class and haven’t seen a single person that looks to be representing the ice dogs. Just checked and They’ve only have 5 on the website and are split into 3 geographical areas not leagues.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I imagine there are very few publications that actually send people to the rink to watch all these kids play multiple times a year. If you can get clicks with just watching video, it’s more cost effective and you’re going to do that.

sadly this part is pretty true. you have 100s of young ppl who want to scout but are not given the proper guidance on how to do it or that in person viewing is important. i see lots of neutral zone jackets and some scout.ca jackets, outside of that thats it. now im not sure who else does from a third party company perspective. back in the day with iss and the old hockey prospect/scout.ca guys youd see them all over.

with the player, im just surprised that a handful of online lists all have him in the same spot, but im pretty sure ohl teams and i know ohl central scouting do not have him there. are the online lists influenced by each other? confirmation bias? i just find it interesting.

do scouts usually wear team apparel or is it only a select few. Ive seen the Kitcheners, windsors 67s etc. albeit I can put some faces to teams as well but I’ve been to a couple of the big events this year for the class and haven’t seen a single person that looks to be representing the ice dogs. Just checked and They’ve only have 5 on the website and are split into 3 geographical areas not leagues.
hit and miss. some do, some dont. keep in mind getting scouts on the road can cost hotels, gas, etc so it would not surprise me if the ice dogs are not spending on that.

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021

Another poor take.

If you're 5'7 and highly skilled and a great skater, you are given the chance. These kids get drafted all the time. Very few make it, because to OHL4Life's point, their game doesn't translate well when you're playing agaisnt older, stronger and faster opponents consistenly, something that isn't always apparent playing agaisnt your own age group.

Now why do OHL/NHL teams not have 2 or 3 of these guys on every team? Because their strenghts typically aren't on the defensive side of the puck.

You're trying to argue a point in which the best hockey minds in the world don't tend to lean towards.

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021

Just my 2 cents and some stuff to consider.

Crosckery should be higher (15)
Rosetto isn't close to a first rounder
too low on Myubi (#53)
Babin too high (30)

These players not going top 60
Clarke, Ceranic, Elliot, Kerr, Atkinson, Gilby, Yates, Skinner, Killoran

Players I would look to add
- Fitzgerald (Petes)
- Zurawski (Rebels)
- Brandon (Vaughan)
- Vandenburg (Myers)
- Kindree (Halton)
- Eshkawkogan (NYR)
- Carey (Oakville)
- Lemieux (Quinte)
- Camputaro (JRC)
- Xu (JRC)

Happy to chat about any players

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Just my 2 cents and some stuff to consider.

Crosckery should be higher (15)
Rosetto isn't close to a first rounder
too low on Myubi (#53)
Babin too high (30)

These players not going top 60
Clarke, Ceranic, Elliot, Kerr, Atkinson, Gilby, Yates, Skinner, Killoran

Players I would look to add
- Fitzgerald (Petes)
- Zurawski (Rebels)
- Brandon (Vaughan)
- Vandenburg (Myers)
- Kindree (Halton)
- Eshkawkogan (NYR)
- Carey (Oakville)
- Lemieux (Quinte)
- Camputaro (JRC)
- Xu (JRC)

Happy to chat about any players
babin is another guy I don’t get. High on every online list but what is he?

Reactions: Section5Petes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad