2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The Oakville Rangers beat the Peterborough Jr. Petes 4-3 in overtime to win the Steve Richey Memorial tournament on Sunday. Ethan Belchetz scored the OT winner in the final. He was tied with Maddox Dagenais (Quinte) for the tournament lead in points with 13
sounds like dagenais is going to the qmjhl, he has that option.

i was in peterborough on friday and saturday, belchetz has just as good of a chance to go 1 then anyone else, you dont find 6'5 guys with that level of skill very often.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Belchetz dominating OMHA-West

1706120102298.png

Reactions: Section5Petes

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Just curious who the top D of interest project to be for the coming draft? Are there any clear stand outs or is this more of a forward dominated top end of the draft this year?

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
sounds like dagenais is going to the qmjhl, he has that option.

i was in peterborough on friday and saturday, belchetz has just as good of a chance to go 1 then anyone else, you dont find 6'5 guys with that level of skill very often.
I was wondering why there wasn't more talk about Dagenais but that explains it. Who else could go number one this year? I've heard a lot about Braidy Wassilyn and Adam Valentini. Are they also in the consideration for the first overall pick?

Reactions: arhockey

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
just a note, smaller d specifically, are very hard to transition to the OHL, they need to be high end. forwards as well but they are easier to hide in a lineup.

I don’t think any d under 5’8 went in the first 4/5 rounds last year, so if a list has lots of small guys, specifically d, I’m not sure how accurate it will end up.

Every scout has thier own bias, but the job is to determine who the best OHL player will be, not who your favourite players are. the league on average doesn’t seem to have the appetite to take smaller d early.

Reactions: Stellar29

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
just a note, smaller d specifically, are very hard to transition to the OHL, they need to be high end. forwards as well but they are easier to hide in a lineup.

I don’t think any d under 5’8 went in the first 4/5 rounds last year, so if a list has lots of small guys, specifically d, I’m not sure how accurate it will end up.

Every scout has thier own bias, but the job is to determine who the best OHL player will be, not who your favourite players are. the league on average doesn’t seem to have the appetite to take smaller d early.
Just out of curiosity, how do you handle growth projections? Are you drafting a 5'10" kid hoping he gets to 6' or 6'1"? Studying family history? That seems like it would be such a challenge to forecast when dealing with young teenagers.

Reactions: Davis Boyer

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I can’t post one, I work for a team now
That‘s unfortunate for the people in this thread, but thats great for you.

so in this draft, the only sub 6’ defender that’ll go high will by Nyman I assume? He’s the only one with any high end skills I assume.

Who would be the top D this year then? Blonda Or Croskery?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
That‘s unfortunate for the people in this thread, but thats great for you.

so in this draft, the only sub 6’ defender that’ll go high will by Nyman I assume? He’s the only one with any high end skills I assume.

Who would be the top D this year then? Blonda Or Croskery?
nyman is similar to Moore from the 02 age group, hes actually bigger at 5.09.25. He’s about as small as it gets at the top of the draft, but his skill is high end. Blonda for sure, he’s maybe 5’11, perfectly fine for an OHL d. croskery is great but may be school bound. Greer in Barrie but his size scares teams. Kwajak and xu from JRC.D'Alessio From vaughan

Just out of curiosity, how do you handle growth projections? Are you drafting a 5'10" kid hoping he gets to 6' or 6'1"? Studying family history? That seems like it would be such a challenge to forecast when dealing with young teenagers.
it’s a guessing game, you take them later and if they grow it’s a bonus. I just looked, the first d under 5.9 that was drafted went in the 6th round last year. it’s really really hard to defend at that size on the OHL

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
nyman is similar to Moore from the 02 age group. He’s about as small as it gets but his skill is high end. Blonda for sure, he’s maybe 5’11, perfectly fine for an OHL d. croskery is great but may be school bound. Greer in Barrie but his size scares teams. Kwajak and xu from JRC.D'Alessio From vaughan

it’s a guessing game, you take them later and if they grow it’s a bonus. I just looked, the first d under 5.9 that was drafted went in the 6th round last year. it’s really really hard to defend at that size on the OHL
Wow, alot of the “top D” this year are smaller. I imagine we’ll see more forwards taken in the first then?

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
With alliance being the way it is this year. How many will get selected in the first 4 rounds.

Davis Boyer

Apr 27, 2020
A lot of family inquires in my experience. Players Birth Month matters as well.

Reactions: Stellar29

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021
Some of the top d-men for this years draft class
- Croskery (Oakville)
- Nyman, D'Alessio, Emerton (Vaughan)
- Greer (Barrie)
- Blonda (Pittsburgh)
- Xu, Kwajah (JRC)
- Mitchell (Peterborough)
- Eshkawkogan (NYR)
- Koukouves, Bray (Marlies)
- Hicks (London)

There are many bigger d-men that will go rounds 4-6.

Lots of "smaller" d-men with high-end skill in this draft.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
FYI dube is not eligible.

edit: he has updated it, good to see. there are players on there i disagree with but its better then the puck preps top 20 that didnt have belchetz on it.
Is Dube QMJHL eligible then? I suspect he’s school bound anyways.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
- Croskery (Oakville)
- Greer (Barrie)
- Blonda (Pittsburgh)
- Xu, Kwajah (JRC)
- Eshkawkogan (NYR)
- Hicks (London)

Petes have Ottawas 2nd round pick this draft; any chance of Croskery, Nyman, Greer, Blonda, Xu, or Hicks with that pick?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Is Dube QMJHL eligible then? I suspect he’s school bound anyways.
I believe he’ll end up in the q

Petes have Ottawas 2nd round pick this draft; any chance of Croskery, Nyman, Greer, Blonda, Xu, or Hicks with that pick?
do you believe that hicks is worthy of a second?

- Croskery (Oakville)
- Greer (Barrie)
- Blonda (Pittsburgh)
- Xu, Kwajah (JRC)
- Eshkawkogan (NYR)
- Hicks (London)

struggle with someone like bray is hes measured at 5’7 , who is the last player that was 5’7 that was drafted in the top 60 and proved worthy of it?

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I believe he’ll end up in the q

do you believe that hicks is worthy of a second?

struggle with someone like bray is hes measured at 5’7 , who is the last player that was 5’7 that was drafted in the top 60 and proved worthy of it?
Could he grow? or is his family small?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I’ve seen Hicks as a mid to late first rounder but haven’t seen too many ranking. you would have a better idea of where he might go
I think you need to judge the accuracy of those rankings. I still remember Pete’s fans jumping up and down because they drafted cole petey and judd katz years ago based on one website

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad