2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

hotchips99

Feb 14, 2024
Updated the ranking for February: I think I’m starting to feel more and more comfortable with this class.

For those that were wondering, Adam Valentini has a comfortable cushion on the scoring lead in the GTHL, Over goal per game and 2 points per game.

Wassilyn is around 1.8PPG on the season, but his only help has been Cali and Neice - super impressive statline considering the supporting cast.

The Vaughn Kings are such a well rounded team, think of a player and they’re at or near point per game. Hage, Di Iorio and Bowen are leading the way with Hage and Bowen hovering near 1.5PPG. Gage Brandon is also near a goal per game for them.
Is there a link to a list to confirm these stats? Gthl stats.

Don’t see him going top 3? What Wassilyn has done for an average Majors squad is crazy no matter which way you slice it. Has nearly double the point as his next closest teammate.
I would like to know his plus minus. He's on the ice for a lot of goals.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
You need to pay for that info. But there are a few people on here that have access to it, and will call out incorrect data if they see it. For me, that's enough confirmation that what is posted is correct.

Of course he is. He has a lot of ice time being by far the best forward on a middling Markham team. But the team is not good. Plus/minus is more of a team stat than a player stat. None of the Markham players will have a plus/minus anywhere near the top players on the top teams.

1.8 ppg for Wassilyn is unreal considering his team only scores ~ 3.4 goals/game. That means he gets points on over half their goals. Ridiculous. Valentini at ~ 2 ppg is excellent too, but his team scores ~ 4.3 goals/game so there is a lot more talent supporting Valentini than Wassilyn.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

you look at this way too much like a parent who is looking to knock down 15 year old kids vs a fan who wants info on the top prospects.

hotchips99

Feb 14, 2024
You need to pay for that info. But there are a few people on here that have access to it, and will call out incorrect data if they see it. For me, that's enough confirmation that what is posted is correct.

Of course he is. He has a lot of ice time being by far the best forward on a middling Markham team. But the team is not good. Plus/minus is more of a team stat than a player stat. None of the Markham players will have a plus/minus anywhere near the top players on the top teams.

1.8 ppg for Wassilyn is unreal considering his team only scores ~ 3.4 goals/game. That means he gets points on over half their goals. Ridiculous. Valentini at ~ 2 ppg is excellent too, but his team scores ~ 4.3 goals/game so there is a lot more talent supporting Valentini than Wassilyn.
You mentioned paying for the info.
I know the GTHL had a stats link on the website open prior to the seasons start. Wasn't aware there was a subscription.

In my opinion Valentini is the clear favorite to be number one, based on being a complete player as of today. TM offense goes through Valentini, but Wassilyn is the offence for MM.
Valentini has proved he can play up a year with the same ability to rack up points.

you look at this way too much like a parent who is looking to knock down 15 year old kids vs a fan who wants info on the top prospects.
Last I checked, stats don't lie. It tells the real story. There is no knocking anyone from here but when the stats aren't available (opened to view like OMHA website) it creates questions.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I know the GTHL had a stats link on the website open prior to the seasons start. Wasn't aware there was a subscription.

In my opinion Valentini is the clear favorite to be number one, based on being a complete player as of today. TM offense goes through Valentini, but Wassilyn is the offence for MM.
Valentini has proved he can play up a year with the same ability to rack up points.

Last I checked, stats don't lie. It tells the real story. There is no knocking anyone from here but when the stats aren't available (opened to view like OMHA website) it creates questions.
parents care about stats more then anyone i know. if you dont like that stats are offline, then just call the gthl. ive read this stuff on here for 10 years, your not the first not will be the last to go after guys who are great hockey players over something silly like a plus minus.

heres a news flash, scores care about work ethic and compete, skill, hockey sense. plus minus is a parent stat, not a scout stat.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Are you down on Petes Fitzgerald and Mitchell? What round do you think they go
Last month I took a deeper dive into the GTHL, this month I’ll look further into the OMHA, and Alliance. If you have any more names I should focus on next month from these leagues, please let me know and I can fill in the lack of information I have .

Reactions: Section5Petes

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Last month I took a deeper dive into the GTHL, this month I’ll look further into the OMHA, and Alliance. If you have any more names I should focus on next month from these leagues, please let me know and I can fill in the lack of information I have .
the atchison kid at 32, hes 5'7 and just barely over a point a game, do you think top 30 is aggressive?

Reactions: bakers

hotchips99

Feb 14, 2024
parents care about stats more then anyone i know. if you dont like that stats are offline, then just call the gthl. ive read this stuff on here for 10 years, your not the first not will be the last to go after guys who are great hockey players over something silly like a plus minus.

heres a news flash, scores care about work ethic and compete, skill, hockey sense. plus minus is a parent stat, not a scout stat.
Why is it that NYR has stats on Elite Prospects, but no other team has stats?
I understand what scouts are typically looking for and it makes complete sense.
You mentioned, "heres a news flash, scores care about work ethic and compete, skill, hockey sense. plus minus is a parent stat, not a scout stat",
we always talk about so and so is top scorer. Which is great. The style of play of a team does determine scoring opportunities. 66 has always had people saying he's not a 200-foot player based on where he receives the puck. The plus minus stat would confirm that.

MH

Oct 27, 2023

Stats can be seen on Instat and other video services. Those are team organized. Not GTHL. There is no GTHL subscription. Never mind that the game sheets at GTHL games are so very wrong all the time.. Minor hockey stats are not always the most accurate but at least Instat can be corrected based on video after the fact. Also looking at stats as an aggregate is not the best analysis. For example what are the stats vs. Top 10 teams? What happens when bottom teams are stripped out? Is scoring against bottom teams repeatable at the next level? Not sure it is. How a certain team plays can also impact stats (for the first half of the year most of Markham's offense was focused on feeding Wassilyn pucks in behind a team's D). Wassilyn is a dynamic player and doesn't have the same team around him as Valentini but style of play may have played a role in Wassilyns stats v his team mates (I don't think stats is why you would chose between either of these great players btw). The Vaughan Kings is extremely deep team and tends to just role lines so you don't have the same ice time for some of its scorers.

Plus minus is pretty useless because it's probably only sort of accurate and mostly it's about luck (good or bad). Watch a player and see what they do away from the puck, how hard they compete to win puck battles (and are they successful more often than not) and what happens when they lose a puck (do they get it back or drift off the play). Those are better indicators of a players value than Plus minus in minor hockey.

You mentioned, "heres a news flash, scores care about work ethic and compete, skill, hockey sense. plus minus is a parent stat, not a scout stat",
we always talk about so and so is top scorer. Which is great. The style of play of a team does determine scoring opportunities. 66 has always had people saying he's not a 200-foot player based on where he receives the puck. The plus minus stat would confirm that.

Likely someone (a parent) from NYR posted stats on Elite Prospects.

Reactions: AAAdad

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
maybe the team manager submitted them? who cares? submit your own or stop complaining.

your going on and on about 200 ft player, guess what, if he is or is not he is still a top 3 overall pick and will be a very good ohl player. this is like when you said top 5 picks dont get ice time and i posted how they did, you didnt post about it again.

you finding a singular stat to take a player down, as an adult, think about that. you are not a scout, your a parent trashing on another 15 year old. why dont you post your own sons stats? i can promise you that they are not as good as this kids, but everyone will be much kinder to his stats then you are to this guys.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
the atchison kid at 32, hes 5'7 and just barely over a point a game, do you think top 30 is aggressive?
Maybe, I watched two games of his this year - one against Halton and one against Oakville. Both games he was all over the ice creating offence. Reminded me a lot of Ryan Moore if you remember him and I think he was a solid selection in that second round area. It was only two games so a limited viewing but I came away impressed.

I have access to the stats but I’m not going to flat out share them. I think what the GTHL does with hiding the stats is a good thing in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: flamebird

AAAdad

Jan 29, 2024
Last I checked, stats don't lie. It tells the real story.
Accurate stats don't lie....but they can certainly be manipulated and misread to form an incorrect analysis of a player if used in isolation. We all know stats in minor hockey are riddled with inaccuracies....ref mistakes, coach agendas, kid's begging for asists, input errors, etc. One cannot rely on this data.

That being said, even accurate stats don't tell the real story. They may help explain or provide a better understanding but they are very far off from being a single tool to use. I could easily make Player A look way better than Player B by simply looking at stats one way...and vice versa. If they are to be used, it must be in conjunction with the eye test.

hotchips99

Feb 14, 2024
Accurate stats don't lie....but they can certainly be manipulated and misread to form an incorrect analysis of a player if used in isolation. We all know stats in minor hockey are riddled with inaccuracies....ref mistakes, coach agendas, kid's begging for asists, input errors, etc. One cannot rely on this data.

That being said, even accurate stats don't tell the real story. They may help explain or provide a better understanding but they are very far off from being a single tool to use. I could easily make Player A look way better than Player B by simply looking at stats one way...and vice versa. If they are to be used, it must be in conjunction with the eye test.
Totally agree.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

exactly, cherry picking a single stat to trash a player is juts that, cherry picking.

the ones who obsess over stats are the reason why they are not public in the gthl, the parents.

hotchips99

Feb 14, 2024
maybe the team manager submitted them? who cares? submit your own or stop complaining.

your going on and on about 200 ft player, guess what, if he is or is not he is still a top 3 overall pick and will be a very good ohl player. this is like when you said top 5 picks dont get ice time and i posted how they did, you didnt post about it again.

you finding a singular stat to take a player down, as an adult, think about that. you are not a scout, your a parent trashing on another 15 year old. why dont you post your own sons stats? i can promise you that they are not as good as this kids, but everyone will be much kinder to his stats then you are to this guys.
We are simply having a conversation and no one is complaining.
I'm just stating that you need to verify the stats with a link for Elite Prospects. Is there an open link to the GTHL stats? It's a question.

Once again I'm not ripping kids on here and you are quite defensive regarding this plus minus stat or anything that does sit well with you.
There are many stats other than plus minus, but it was the question I asked.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Updated the ranking for February: I think I’m starting to feel more and more comfortable with this class.

For those that were wondering, Adam Valentini has a comfortable cushion on the scoring lead in the GTHL, Over goal per game and 2 points per game.

Wassilyn is around 1.8PPG on the season, but his only help has been Cali and Neice - super impressive statline considering the supporting cast.

The Vaughn Kings are such a well rounded team, think of a player and they’re at or near point per game. Hage, Di Iorio and Bowen are leading the way with Hage and Bowen hovering near 1.5PPG. Gage Brandon is also near a goal per game for them.
Good list! Just for fun... Since it's a hockey forum

Guys too high, IMO (top-25), who may go 40-60

Nick Rosetto -- size concerns + how dynamic he can be at that size in the OHL

Nolan Long -- best player on a so/so team but doesn't move the needle enough to be a borderline franchise player (strong term, but I think the top-20 players this year are high quality players)

Crete -- dynamic player in maybe the weakest loop in Ontario (maybe the north). Not an A1 offensive driver and not the biggest guy either.

Guys too low (40-60), that can arguably be in the top-25

Ellsworth -- quality goalie with size and pedigree. Some of gone early in the past few years changing the stigma of taking a goalie early

Kwajah -- plus skater and offensive tools from the back end. Has an 'it' factor flare to his game that translates, along with his tools.

Zurawski -- power finesse player who's the A1 driver on his team. Has a mean streak which is more rare these days in skill players. Good when he was in the GTHL all star game.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
I'm just stating that you need to verify the stats with a link for Elite Prospects. Is there an open link to the GTHL stats? It's a question.

Once again I'm not ripping kids on here and you are quite defensive regarding this plus minus stat or anything that does sit well with you.
No, to answer your question. GTHL stats are internal and sent to each team. Some have the internal link, but know not to publicly publish them. The GTHL would be dealing with calls daily from parents/agents/etc... about stat corrections.

Stats are publicly posted after the draft I believe. In the grand scheme of things, numbers tell a story, but not the whole stories. Teams see these guys over 30-50+ times collectively in person + additional video breakdowns (teams have designated analytical teams for this purpose)

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

As I’ve asked many times ….

why? Who cares if they are right? Most stats are wrong. the only ones that truly care are insecure parents.

so again, why do we need to vet them?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
as aaadad said perfectly, you are cherry picking a specific number without context to suggest that a player is less then what others are saying. problem is as a parent, you really dont understand what scouts want and what projectable tools are.

parents have done that on here for years and guess what, they never turn out right. parents do it in rinks. I don’t get why, burning down your neighbours lawn doesn’t make yours any better

hotchips99

Feb 14, 2024
Good list! Just for fun... Since it's a hockey forum

Guys too high, IMO (top-25), who may go 40-60

Nick Rosetto -- size concerns + how dynamic he can be at that size in the OHL

Nolan Long -- best player on a so/so team but doesn't move the needle enough to be a borderline franchise player (strong term, but I think the top-20 players this year are high quality players)

Crete -- dynamic player in maybe the weakest loop in Ontario (maybe the north). Not an A1 offensive driver and not the biggest guy either.

Guys too low (40-60), that can arguably be in the top-25

Ellsworth -- quality goalie with size and pedigree. Some of gone early in the past few years changing the stigma of taking a goalie early

Kwajah -- plus skater and offensive tools from the back end. Has an 'it' factor flare to his game that translates, along with his tools.

Zurawski -- power finesse player who's the A1 driver on his team. Has a mean streak which is more rare these days in skill players. Good when he was in the GTHL all star game.
Just thinking outside the box.
Anthony Figliomeni is the best version in the age group as an agitator with skill.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Don’t see him going top 3? What Wassilyn has done for an average Majors squad is crazy no matter which way you slice it. Has nearly double the point as his next closest teammate.
I wouldnt take him that high. Maybe others would and im not saying im right, im giving my opinion. He is the best player on Markham but isnt maximizing geling with his linemates, without the puck I see low interest. He is very similar to Adam Mascherin.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Maybe, I watched two games of his this year - one against Halton and one against Oakville. Both games he was all over the ice creating offence. Reminded me a lot of Ryan Moore if you remember him and I think he was a solid selection in that second round area. It was only two games so a limited viewing but I came away impressed.

I have access to the stats but I’m not going to flat out share them. I think what the GTHL does with hiding the stats is a good thing in the grand scheme of things.
i think you need to take a look at the ohl and ask how often a 5'7 player is impactful to the point that they are worth a 2nd round pick. they are rare, and i would suggest they produce a lot more then that.

there are only 2 in the last 5 years (i cant count covid year) that were drafted in the top 40, mcfadden and saganiuk, mcfadden was almost 3 points a game, saganiuk was a point a game but the usa loop is way, way, way harder to score in vs the scta loop.

past history is the best way to predict future success with players.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
i think you need to take a look at the ohl and ask how often a 5'7 player is impactful to the point that they are worth a 2nd round pick. they are rare, and i would suggest they produce a lot more then that.

there are only 2 in the last 5 years (i cant count covid year) that were drafted in the top 40, mcfadden and saganiuk, mcfadden was almost 3 points a game, saganiuk was a point a game but the usa loop is way, way, way harder to score in vs the scta loop.

past history is the best way to predict future success with players.
Ryan Abraham is only 5' 7" and was taken in the 1st round. The debate would be whether he is an impactful player over his career or not?

Reactions: MH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad