Your most hated commentator lines

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
I hate whenever the color commentator starts talking about "effort" or "wanting it more". Usually, it's just bullshit filler because they can't figure out why one team is winning or why one goaltender is just stopping more shots.

I guarantee you, the losing goaltender doesn't wake up the morning of Game 7 in the Stanley Cup playoffs and think, "Meh, but do I really feel like winning today? Maybe. We'll just play it by ear and see."

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Not a specific line, but I don't need to be reminded every 2 minutes ...

... what the score is
... who scored
... how many shots have been taken
... what game of the series is being played and how the score is in the series
... what period we're in and how much time is left to play
Yeah but they’re not saying that for people who have been watching. It’s especially needed on radio

Reactions: yada

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I also cant stand the Penguins announcer "HAAAAAEEEY SHOOTS AND SCORES"

My favorite all time call is Gary Thorne's "FEDATENKOOO!!"

Mike Lange? He does only home games on the radio now and he is a legend. Probably one of the most unique broadcasters of all time in my likely biased opinion. When he was the TV announcer for the Pens back in the 90's, his calls are what got me hooked on hockey.

How.Dare.You.Sir

Reactions: 19 others and DaveG

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I totally agree with this. 100% sure that the women are commentating because of "equality" even though there would be much better commentators that are men and who actually have played in the NHL.

I have nothing against women commentating sports, but it really is cringe in NHL.
I think if you are going to have women commentating sports then special care should be taken to allow them to keep their female voices while doing it. It shouldn't be a woman trying to sound like a man does in the job, it should be a woman giving her perspective on the game in her own voice. Now whether we want to hear that during a hockey broadcast is another matter altogether that I won't get into, but it would do away with the cringiness if somebody would just explain to these ladies that they are not and will never be Pierre Maguire or Harry Neale so don't try to be. Take a page from Andi Patrillo who does Leafs Lunch, she speaks about the game and sounds very much like a woman when she does, and because of that there is a chemistry and dynamic between her and the other panelists on the show. Barking out the most obvious of observations in the most masculine voice possible doesn't make you a good addition to the broadcast ladies.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

quityerwhinin

Feb 9, 2017
"World class"

"That's a world class play"..."he's got world class hands"..."that's world class speed"

barf

Reactions: Crow

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Anything the Pitts or Boston guys say.

Absolutely the worst in the business.

Reactions: Crow

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
I have to agree with the OP. I used to absolutely hate both "hey hey whaddya say" and "that's hockey baby!". They've grown on me a litte bit, but I still get all kinds of annoyed feelings when I hear those. And I'm saying this as someone to whom Carolina is the favorite remaining team.
then you must just love it when they play the catchphrase on the sound system inside the arena after a goal is scored.....:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad