Your most hated commentator lines

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
If you took a shot every time Jim Hughson said "the great reach of Chara" during the Leafs/Bruins series...you'd have missed a lot of hockey due to alchohol poisoning.

Reactions: Katie Connauton

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
That guy who always says "THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU" always bugs me. I kinda get pissed when I hear the term slap pass too.

Reactions: dkhockey

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
When you listen to the same commentators night after night there's bound to be certain lines they repeat. And eventually you get really tired of them. What are your most hated ones?

As someone who follows mostly Canes here's my top 2:

''Hey Hey What do you say!''
''That's Hockey baby!''

At this point I almost wanna hit mute every time Carolina scores so I don't have to hear them again.
Any of the females pretending to be hockey analysts for the playoffs make me cringe whenever they speak. Not because they are female, but because they don't talk like females. They don't sound like a woman talking about hockey, they sound like women doing their best impression of what they think a hockey analyst sounds like. Women don't sound like that when they talk, ever. So when they sound that way when they decide to talk about hockey its jarring. You know what I'm talking about.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Not necessarily a line, but whenever the goalie makes a routine left to right or vice versa save and when it clearly looks like he wasn't going to save it if the shooter had any skill and just didn't shoot at the goalie-

'WHAT A SAVE, THAT'S AN UNBELIVEABLE SAVE, HE'S STANDING ON HIS HEAD!!'

Reactions: Realgud

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Do they just say that for every poke check or for guys with weirdly long sticks like lots of dmen and poolparty like to use .

Chara is always an acceptable for the use of that line as well.
My post was just a jab at pierre mcguire, whom I like as a commentator but sometimes his enthusiasm behind a statement provides unintentional comedy.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Any of the females pretending to be hockey analysts for the playoffs make me cringe whenever they speak. Not because they are female, but because they don't talk like females. They don't sound like a woman talking about hockey, they sound like women doing their best impression of what they think a hockey analyst sounds like. Women don't sound like that when they talk, ever. So when they sound that way when they decide to talk about hockey its jarring. You know what I'm talking about.

I totally agree with this. 100% sure that the women are commentating because of "equality" even though there would be much better commentators that are men and who actually have played in the NHL.

I have nothing against women commentating sports, but it really is cringe in NHL.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Love Sam Rosen doing Ranger games, although he is getting old and loses his train of thought at times, but his constant jock riding of Hank is exhausting. Hank makes a routine stop and its, "OH, WHAT A SAVE BY LUNDQVIST!' Next game Hank's backup is playing and making fantastic saves and Sam can't muster half the enthusiasm.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Pretty much anything that comes out of Pierre's or Cassie Campbell's mouth. Neither of them should be calling games at the NHL level.

when does pierre call games (PBP) ? He's a color, between the benches kind of guy.

he's still creepy as all get out, but I can't remember him ever calling a game.

nofehr

Dec 17, 2012
Anything said by Jack Edwards..
I'm not a fan at all of Jack Edwards but I don't have a problem with announcers that have their own little catch phrases as long as they're done in line with the action on the ice.

I can't stand the scripted lines that have nothing do with hockey - Mike Lange was the worst - 'scratch my back with a hacksaw' etc. It comes across way too forced and way too unnatural.

I'm a Leafs fan and I can see how 'holy Mackinaw' can be super-cringey.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Drew Remenda;

I don't know why he took a job with the Oilers.....of what he did to get himself there......he is way too critical of the team. I think he's improved a bit.....but he constantly fawns over the other teams play and analyses the opposition strengths.

I remember one "....good teams don't do that" after the Oilers iced the puck once and I lost my mind. Every team ices the puck several times a game.

Just terrible anti-homer commentary punctuated by "....WOW..."

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Back in the day Bob Cole would call players Mr. I believe he would call Chris Pronger Mr. Pronger despite the fact Cole's old enough to be Pronger's grandfather.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
JP Dellacamera would say "goal" when someone scored because he's actually a soccer broadcaster. I did not like it very much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad