Your most hated commentator lines

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
He's going to want that one back...as though there are goals goalies let in that they are okay with. "Good goal guys. We're going to count that one twice." Yeah, no.
As a (soccer) goalie, there are goals that go in where I know that I just couldn't have made the save. No matter what I did, it wouldn't have mattered. Then there are goals where, rightly or wrongly, I think I should have saved, and those are the ones I want back

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I think if you are going to have women commentating sports then special care should be taken to allow them to keep their female voices while doing it. It shouldn't be a woman trying to sound like a man does in the job, it should be a woman giving her perspective on the game in her own voice. Now whether we want to hear that during a hockey broadcast is another matter altogether that I won't get into, but it would do away with the cringiness if somebody would just explain to these ladies that they are not and will never be Pierre Maguire or Harry Neale so don't try to be. Take a page from Andi Patrillo who does Leafs Lunch, she speaks about the game and sounds very much like a woman when she does, and because of that there is a chemistry and dynamic between her and the other panelists on the show. Barking out the most obvious of observations in the most masculine voice possible doesn't make you a good addition to the broadcast ladies.
wut.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Bunch of good ones.

"never a bad play to get it on net".

"IT. WOULD. NOT. GOOoooooOoooooOOOOOOooooOOOOOooo!" aka 'I have no clue if the shot was blocked, went wide, hit the post, or was saved so I'll be as vague as possible and sound suuuuuper enthusiastic so no one notices'. Doc's been using this as his go to way too often as he gets older and his vision and speed are diminishing.

Reactions: Jdavidev

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
"Holy mackinow!"

What the f*** does that even mean? Absolutely atrocious.

Also, every word out of Doc Emricks mouth is painful.

Reactions: TB12

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
When the announcer on a Canadian national broadcast refers to the leafs as "our side" or "our team" or "us"

Reactions: TB12

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Came to say “That’s hockey, baby!” and feel less guilty now that it’s the genesis of the thread.

I still don't know what a "mackinaw" is. :help:

upload_2019-5-7_6-14-17.jpeg

Reactions: Dr Pepper

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
"He needs to get that DEEP (insert announcer's name)!.."

This is a constant Pierre criticism as if we still just play in the trap hockey era making safe plays for 60 minutes.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The Preds guy "yes sir!!!!!" after a goal

Doc "on the turning stick of...."

Well, pretty much most of Doc's phrases, see above :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad