Confirmed Trade: [WSH/LAK] Pierre-Luc Dubois for Darcy Kuemper (no salary retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Because PLD sucks and he just got out from a boat anchor of a contract?

Yes.... but that boat anchor didn't just fall out of the damn sky.

Trading Dubois one year after trading for and signing him is just an admission you have no clue what you're doing. It's too big of a mistake, and he can't really deny it's a mistake after how it's played out.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Yes I am repeating because I am have multiple conversations. Deal with it.

This was not some RFA or ELC type player the Kings traded for. They paid a big futures price and gave him 8x $8.5M. Do you really think that demoting him was the right manager decision? Yeah, lets pay him $8.5M and then make him earn 18-20 min a game. When he shows signs of mistakes, lets demote him and stick him to 3C/15 min a game. That will teach him. :laugh:

If he was that bad, why did team Canada pick him for their WC's roster? I think some fans need to come to grips that they went overboard with attacking him. Some deserved but not all. It's out of control and the elephant in the room was management usage.

So you're saying he's entitled to 1st line minutes, whether he earns them or not. Got it.

There have been lots of players who seem like they should be great, but just don't have it. And there have always been teams willing to take the chance. Yes, LA was stupid to give him that contract, but seeing as they were contenders it would've been worse to keep him on the 1st line.

Whatever the reason, PLD hasn't lived up to expectations. Deal with that.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
PLD is the new Johansen
As a fan of the team that drafted and developed both... Joey never, not once disgraced himself to the degree PLD did. Joey never complained. Joey never torpedoed locker rooms. Joey never demanded or forced trades. Joey just occasionally frustrated on the ice.

If PLD was one tenth the guy Joey is, this would be a runaway win for the Caps.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I don't understand how some are calling this is a bad trade for Washington. Dubois didn't lose his talent in LA, its painfully obvious how he was miscast as a third liner with limited linemates.

For the Caps they are getting their 26 year old 1st line C for a cap dump.
He worked his way down the lineup.

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
How does Blake not get fired for asset mismanagement?
I wanted Blake fired after he traded Fiala for Faber + 1st, then after the Kings were bounced in the first round after that, THEN AGAIN after getting bounced in the first round this time.

And at least from my perspective, a lot of Kings fans on HF Kings are done with Blake.

However, Blake, Robitaille, and Bergevin form a triumvirate of friendship greater than any force in the universe or something.

Regarding the trade:
Dubois was that bad during the entire season with the laziest points, that even if he bounces back with Washington and Kuemper flops, this was the only option for Blake at this point. It's like the meme of "The best time to delete this was immediately after posting it. The second best time is now."

Dubois was about to be the highest paid player on the team. He was moved from center to wing, to up and down the lineup. McLellan couldn't figure out how else to communicate to him. Hiller implemented a star system for when PLD would have "good shifts." There were often times that lines would die when PLD was part of them. Then the next shift Byfield had with the same players, they scored and played well. He had plenty of powerplay time, and didn't have to worry about penalty killing. For most of the season, he had among the most favorable deployments in the opponent's zone.

Kopitar and Doughty also vented to the press during a terrible streak that there are some players playing for themselves and stats. While Fiala was definitely a culprit, PLD was probably the next most likely.

The risk of keeping PLD was far worse than trading him in the event he turns things around. If he does it for Washington, good for him.

I've used the analogy a couple times already, but trading for PLD was like exchanging a gold ring for a turd. Trading PLD for Kuemper was like trading a turd for a paper clip. Sure, you might find a nugget of gold in there, but for the risk, the Kings are better off with the idea of acquiring a functionally worthless player for a lower cap hit and term.

Carbooja

Uncle Salaami
Jun 2, 2011
Brampton, Ontario
The respected boards of PLD's former teams:
_61d8339d-d697-48c3-b9b5-a15b8f980de3.jpeg

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Getting rid of that PLD contract with no retention is a huge win
There was definitely retention. The Kings didn’t just dump PLD for nothing…I’m not sure why people insist on viewing it through that lens.

I think Kuemper should rebound a bit behind that stifling Kings defensive system but let’s not pretend an aging goalie who thoroughly lost his starting job last year, put up shit numbers and looked washed and has a lot of money left on his age 34, 35 and 36 age seasons isn’t going the other way.

Trading PLD for nothing would have been the miracle. This wasn’t a miracle. This was the Kings divesting of a 25 year-old malcontent for the severely negative contract of Kuemper. That’s how bad they wanted PLD off the team and I get it…but Rob Blake is not owed a parade for this transaction.

Kudelski37

Feb 19, 2021
I remember a lot on this board laughing hard at the Dylan Strome free agency we did a couple years ago about how bad Strome was. Similar age, high draft pick. Turned out to be amazing for us

Not saying PLD will be the same but it’s a risk worth taking

I think people are underestimating how AWFUL Kemper was since we got him. He will literally be sitting on the bench for the next 3 years here. Even a 40-50 point 2nd line PLB will be more worth than whatever Kemper could have provided us
Neither player should be in the NHL next season. They both are very bad.

Reactions: Dog

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
They can’t play the same night as the NBA
That’s not what dragged out the post season. Sure that could affect things if both teams happen to need to play at home on the same night. But as soon as you swap it guess what happens. You’re right back to every other night

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That’s not what dragged out the post season. Sure that could affect things if both teams happen to need to play at home on the same night. But as soon as you swap it guess what happens. You’re right back to every other night
ABC can’t air NBA and NHL on the same night.

Reactions: Voight

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Now the Capitals should go out and acquire Laine to go full circle bringing in the #2 and #3 picks from 2016 that were traded for one another. That would be wild for them.

Reactions: Dog

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Getting rid of that PLD contract with no retention is a huge win
Can you imagine any team ever CELEBRATING acquiring a 34 year old retread goalie coming off of a bad run while having three years left at a $5.25 million cap hit?

That's what my fellow Kings fans have been doing all day. It's like having a party to celebrate a manslaughter plea deal instead of rolling the dice on a jury verdict. Nobody won shit today, and the worst GM in team history keeps having to shave egg off his face to make room for the next helping.

Which will be in about two weeks when he overspends on Toffoli, or God forbid the Dubois-esque Mantha and somehow manages to ADD to the cap for worse goaltending and a player who will most likely be outproduced by Dubois next year.

And I say this being a goddam, card-carrying Dubois hater.

It just sucks all around.

Reactions: Voight and Dog

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
A lot of people forget that the 2nd the Kings included in the PLD trade last year was acquired for Durzi who needed to be traded to make cap room for Dubois. So the trade is now Vilardi, Iafallo, Kupari, and Durzi for Kuemper.

Wait, I thought it was so they had room to play Spence, not for the extra cap space? :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad