Confirmed Trade: [WSH/LAK] Pierre-Luc Dubois for Darcy Kuemper (no salary retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
PLD for the first 3 years will cost 3.250M$ to the Caps (his AAV - Darcy's)
The Salary cap will continue to increase and maybe we will reach 100M€ in 3 seasons.

I don't know the guy but a change of scenery must be good.

Strome was also done per HFB and now he's 1C in Washington.

The CBA only allows the cap go up by a certain amount per year no way the cap hits 100m in 3 years.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
So sad. It had to be done, I get it, Blake f'ed up on the PLD / Vilardi trade and this contract, and this is about as good a recovery as we could have hoped for. But yea, we've set ourselves back years trading away picks and upcoming prospects for hot garbage.

We are bound for mediocoreness for years.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
lol. Good luck making the playoffs with Darcy Kuemper. He literally didn’t play for the Caps after the all star break. He was that bad.
Still got out of the PLD contract which is huge and Kuemper is better then anyone LA had last year. The Kings also have a much better defensive structure then the Capitals which will help Kuempers numbers.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The CBA only allows the cap go up by a certain amount per year no way the cap hits 100m in 3 years.
Do you happen to know when the CBA expires? I’ll give you a hint it’s inside 3 years and a lot of players have intentionally structured their contracts to expire right before because the salary cap is expected to be a big point of contention.

It expires Sept ‘26, the influx of TV revenue and the frustration with a hard cap are expected to be two of the issue as at hand. It’d be very difficult to see how ownership finds a way to get players to agree to the same terms when the league signed a 7 year deal with ESPN in 2021, teams are arguably circumventing the cap as is, and revenues are up league wide.

Last edited:
Reactions: 43sfriends

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
So sad. It had to be done, I get it, Blake f'ed up on the PLD / Vilardi trade and this contract, and this is about as good a recovery as we could have hoped for. But yea, we've set ourselves back years trading away picks and upcoming prospects for hot garbage.
Blake majorly f***ed up with the PLD trade and extension. Its pretty obvious that he's learning to be a GM on the fly, f*** ups and all. Him and Luc seem to have conflicting visions on building a team, which is not gonna fly in the world of GM'ing. It really hurts knowing we still could have had Faber and Vilardi if he would've just stuck with the youth movement.

Either way, glad to see PL gone. It doesn't even really matter if Kuemper is cooked, cuz getting rid of that shit awful contract is more important. Dubois has negative value at this point and is a major locker room deflator/cancer.

Reactions: nturn06

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It could end up being a win for both teams. Capitals getting a high-end player (perhaps overpaid and inconsistent, but still) and LA getting a replacement-level goalie but saving a boatload of cap room.

Trades aren't a zero-sum game: both teams can win a trade, and both teams can lose out on the same trade.
Who knows going forward, maybe PLD will all of a sudden start to care and be a good teammate but as we look at it now the Kings dumped a massive albatross contract for a much cheaper contract that will be off the books 5 years prior. I can't see how this isn't a big Kings win, as we look at it today.
IF the Oilers traded Nurse for Kuemper, the same would apply, although Nurse is a few years older than PLD.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Darcy Kuemper was benched from the All Star break, until the playoffs. Lindgren played on back to back nights, playing Kuemper was never a consideration.

The Kings just acquired a goaltender making $5.25m for 3 more years. He is absolutely unplayable. Whatever the Kings fans thought about their goaltending, this makes them worse.
It's bad for bad, but I've never hated a player ony own team until PLD. He is on another level. There's literally no return Kings fans wouldn't bear to be rid of PLD. No matter what. Goaltending has been mediocre here for a while and the Kings are overall a decent regular season defensive team. They have no hopes of competing for the cup. This changes nothing really, but the contract got much better and more manageable.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Blake majorly f***ed up with the PLD trade and extension. Its pretty obvious that he's learning to be a GM on the fly, f*** ups and all. Him and Luc seem to have conflicting visions on building a team, which is not gonna fly in the world of GM'ing. It really hurts knowing we still could have had Faber and Vilardi if he would've just stuck with the youth movement.

Either way, glad to see PL gone. It doesn't even really matter if Kuemper is cooked, cuz getting rid of that shit awful contract is more important. Dubois has negative value at this point and is a major locker room deflator/cancer.
Faber, Vilardi and Snuggerud waiting in the wings (he was talked about being the pick they would have made if the had the 1st from the Fiala trade).

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
they must really believe in PLD. i mean the dude is very talented, he looked pretty good in the IIHFWC - had 9 points in 10 games, and the potential is there. he just....doesnt really put any effort in most of the time. maybe the Caps think he's still teachable. IF they can get him to play to at least 75% of his potential, its a homerun but that is one colossal 'if'

It just illustrates how good he is vs. lesser competition. Him and Fiala look like Gretzky and Kurri vs. lottery teams but you give him a stiff breeze and he quits.

I think he’ll get more points elsewhere but they won’t be more meaningful.

Reactions: Telos and Omni Owl

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not gonna guess what the Caps do with PLD until we find out if they decide not to buy him out.

But I honestly think he takes a lot of unnecessary heat in terms of the player he actually is. He's a good center that can put up elite numbers. He's just a guy that doesn't try all the time and that pisses people off.

Good pick up for the Caps. A team whose big draw over the next couple seasons is getting Ovie to the all time goals record.

Reactions: Misery74

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
To me.. LA did great. They need a goalie and PLD was a bad contract.

I think this makes the kings stronger and I like their franchise.
They got an unplayable, overpaid goaltender.

I get Kings fans are happy they got rid of PLD, but this spiking the football is ludicrous. You paid a premium for an asset, then acquired a guy we refused to play.

Washington was desperate to get rid of Kuemper.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Ovechkin has gotten along with literally every single teammate he's ever had. Including plenty of so-called divas.

Didn't he basically destroy Samsonovs confidence to the point of being benched then ran out of town?

Not hating on OV. I actually love the guy, but some players are known to be hard asses on teammates that don't buy in and tow the line, especially when it's emotion based not lack of talent. Messier and MacKinnon come to mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad