Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Andrew Copp re-signs with Jets (1 year, $3.64M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
After watching Copp's interview about resigning with the Jets here are a couple of take ways that I got.

Copp wanted to sign long term with the Jets because he believes the Jets are a true contender for the cup especially after the trades for Dmen Chevy did this offseason.

Copp has absolute belief in himself that he can repeat last years performance or do better and this will get him his payday and term he wants next season be it with the Jets or another team.

I really like Copp but I think he will price himself out of Winnipeg next year.

Media availability with Andrew Copp after signing one-year contract with the Winnipeg Jets - YouTube

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
After watching Copp's interview about resigning with the Jets here are a couple of take ways that I got.

Copp wanted to sign long term with the Jets because he believes the Jets are a true contender for the cup especially after the trades for Dmen Chevy did this offseason.

Copp has absolute belief in himself that he can repeat last years performance or do better and this will get him his payday and term he wants next season be it with the Jets or another team.

I really like Copp but I think he will price himself out of Winnipeg next year.

Media availability with Andrew Copp after signing one-year contract with the Winnipeg Jets - YouTube

Reactions: MardyBum

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Yeah. That could work, and I'd be quite happy with that outcome. Make it work Chevy!

the only thing that dislodges that is if Dubois returns to form, he needs a new deal after this year… Wheeler contract has gotta go…

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
It's smart for Copp to go to FA. If he can replicate what he did last year, he's looking at Hyman-Coleman money on a long-term deal. And that's the type of money he probably didn't think he would ever get a couple years ago.
I really like Copp, he's great defensively, can play C or LW and doesn't take nights off, but he didn't produce much without Ehlers last year. The two of them had great chemistry for whatever reason, but I wouldn't bet on Copp's offensive output ever matching last season unless he gets very favorable usage wherever he plays next.

As a Jets fan, it sucks that Copp will in all likelihood leave next summer, but overpaying depth players is how you really get into cap trouble.

Reactions: libertarian

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011

Wow….. that just shows what bad media we have following the team…. I thought it could not get any worse than ……when Lawless was here…… but trying to lead an interview in a direction….. with stupid questions!

Copp did a good job by civilly answering these dumb ass reporters stupid questions!

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I really like Copp, he's great defensively, can play C or LW and doesn't take nights off, but he didn't produce much without Ehlers last year. The two of them had great chemistry for whatever reason, but I wouldn't bet on Copp's offensive output ever matching last season unless he gets very favorable usage wherever he plays next.

As a Jets fan, it sucks that Copp will in all likelihood leave next summer, but overpaying depth players is how you really get into cap trouble.

Yeah. I mean, I could see him playing LW on the 2nd line quite a bit this year so there is a chance he could pot 40+ pts again. But I agree he's not really worth 4.5M+ or whatever he could get if he manages to have b2b productive years.

Teams just love those guys in FA though, as GMs think players like this can help you win and they're often easy to slot into the lineup in multiple places. Combine that with the cap starting to go up again and yep, he'll probably get a contract someone will regret.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If he outplays PLD this season, I could see the Jets trading PLD and then offering Copp a new long term deal as their new #2C.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think the Jets will look at trying to extend Copp long-term as soon as they can, as they have cap space opening up next season.

All depends on how Dubois does. Stats money comes off the books but if Dubois has a big season the Jets might try to bridge him as a do it again and we'll pay you kind of deal. Would be nice if one of the kids like Heinola, Samberg or Kovacevik steps up and wins a role on the team. Would make moving someone easier.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
1 year =/= locking up

Copp is the 2nd best C on your team, you make room for him

Copp isn't a core player? :laugh:

you don't realize how important players like Copp are until you lose them

he's a better center than Stastny and Lowry, played better than Dubois this past year

i remember him playing C against us this past season and he always stood out, he gets the tough matchups too

he's basically a swiss army knife like Byron is for us, except he's much better than Byron

Dude Copp does not play C very much at all. Lowry gets the tough matchups at C and Copp is usually on his LW. Copp is assuredly not a better center than Lowry and although Dubois had a questionable season I'm willing to bet this year that he won't be a better C than Dubois either. Scheifele is miles and miles better than Copp at Center in every measurable way.

When the Jets were in need of a top 6 C they went with Wheeler at 2C because even he was a better Center option in the top 6 than Copp. Great player but probably a bit overrated based on his production this past season.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If he outplays PLD this season, I could see the Jets trading PLD and then offering Copp a new long term deal as their new #2C.

Copp seems to be angling his way out of Winnipeg, has been for awhile now. I'm willing to bet he's gone by next summer regardless of who he outplays.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Beaulieu would have to clear waivers to be sent down. You would think that some team would claim him.

I would hope Beaulieu does get claimed on waivers. With the Jets Cap situation being right up to the limit Maurice will have no choice but play the young guys when the inevitable injuries hit the D.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Copp seems to be angling his way out of Winnipeg, has been for awhile now. I'm willing to bet he's gone by next summer regardless of who he outplays.
I think he’s likely gone because the Jets cap situation basically means it’s him or Dubois. Dubois has the pedigree, so even if Copp outplays him, I think they’ll move on from him.

I don’t think Copp particularly is angling out of Winnipeg, instead, rather, angling for a big payday.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

Maybe you should watch Copp's interview yesterday when he said he wanted a 4-5 year term and was disappointed that didn't happen but he understood why. He also has not given up signing a long term contract before next FA because he believes in the direction the Jets are going. :facepalm:

Why make assumption's about something you clearly know nothing about?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think he’s likely gone because the Jets cap situation basically means it’s him or Dubois. Dubois has the pedigree, so even if Copp outplays him, I think they’ll move on from him.

I don’t think Copp particularly is angling out of Winnipeg, instead, rather, angling for a big payday.

I think it's a bit of both. I have a feeling he ends up in the US if he does leave.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Maybe you should watch Copp's interview yesterday when he said he wanted a 4-5 year term and was disappointed that didn't happen but he understood why. He also has not given up signing a long term contract before next FA because he believes in the direction the Jets are going. :facepalm:

Why make assumption's about something you clearly know nothing about?

You think he's going to come out and say he wants out of here as quickly as possible? Players play the angles all the time to stay on the side of the fans. Or are we just forgetting when another client of Overcharges lied through his teeth numerous times about playing time and partners and what side he played on when all he really wanted was to go to New York?

Gull-A-Bull. Don't let what Copp says to the media fool you, he has a plan and he's executing it. People lie all the time, NHL players are no different.

Last edited:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I would hope Beaulieu does get claimed on waivers. With the Jets Cap situation being right up to the limit Maurice will have no choice but play the young guys when the inevitable injuries hit the D.
beaulieu likely wont be put on waivers. the jets are all in this year and i dont care how bad people think beaulieu is he is 100x better then niku. they can fit 22 players under the cap so that likely means 1 extra defenceman and that isnt niku. the young guns you speak of will spend the whole year in the minors.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
he rarely plays center for us, he would be 4th in line for the second line center spot so I doubt he would be in our long term plans @2c

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad