Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Andrew Copp re-signs with Jets (1 year, $3.64M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
1 year =/= locking up

Copp is the 2nd best C on your team, you make room for him

Scheifele
Dubois (should be better than Copp)
Lowry
are all better then Copp (Copp and Lowry are close... as a winger Copp offers more flexibility then Lowry)

Stastny gives us a b/up plan that can fill in anywhere at C/LW.

Ideally had we known the D signings in advance we could have shaved something off of Stastny's contract for Copp. But I'm not sure that would be enough. They may have been looking for 5+ on a longer deal for those UFA years.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
how much center did you watch copp play this past year?

i remember him playing C against us this past season and he always stood out, he gets the tough matchups too

he's basically a swiss army knife like Byron is for us, except he's much better than Byron

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well, don't buy a Copp sweater. He's gone - either at the trade deadline or before. Can't see us keeping him longer than that and letting him walk to UFA status. Even if we have a chance heading into the playoffs, he could likely bring back a better rental.
OR they have a handshake deal to extend the contract in January...Stastny comes off the books and Copp gets some of that $.

That works for the cap, right?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
OR they have a handshake deal to extend the contract in January...Stastny comes off the books and Copp gets some of that $.

it could work, but we will need money for pld so copp is most likely a rental

Reactions: libertarian

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Copp isn't a core player? :laugh:

you don't realize how important players like Copp are until you lose them
1 year =/= locking up

Copp is the 2nd best C on your team, you make room for him

Copp has barely played C for the Jets, tho he is capable apparently. Here's a list of players that have played C in the top 6, which Copp never has that I can recall: Scheifele, Dubois, Stastny, Wheeler, Lowry. I don't think the Jets think he is their 2nd best C, but maybe their 6th best C

He is a great player and an excellent depth piece, I would've been happy to lock him up long term on a similar contract to Lowry, but if he wants top 6 money then I think he'll have to get it elsewhere.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I was just about to type: "great player but that seems high", then I looked up his stats. His been progressing very well, damn.

Good $, too bad for Winnipeg he's most likely gone after the season.

Since I don't watch him that much can someone sum him up (like a small scouting report)?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Copp isn't a core player? :laugh:

you don't realize how important players like Copp are until you lose them
No one is saying he’s not an important player. DeMelo is an important player, Lowry is an important player, Statsny is an important player. That doesn’t mean they’re all core players. Copp is important, however he is easier to replace (no not easy, just easier) than a core player like Sheif, Ehlers, Helle etc.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
i remember him playing C against us this past season and he always stood out, he gets the tough matchups too

he's basically a swiss army knife like Byron is for us, except he's much better than Byron

...great description of Copp; he is a Swiss Army Knife guy, can pretty much be relatively successful in whatever role you require him to play...guy's like him are far more important to teams than they are usually given credit for...

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba

Dubois will most likely receive a big pay day and that will eat up most of what we have available.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Winnipeg going for the cup this year

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Stastny - Dubois - Ehlers
Copp - Lowry - Vesalainen
Harkins - Gustafsson - Nash

Morrissey - Schmidt
Dillon - Pionk
Stanley - Demelo

hellebuck

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Besides the cap flexibility, I don't think it's a bad idea to give Copp a one year deal to see if his much improved offensive play last year was real progression or a mirage

Beyond this year, Winnipeg could theoretically find room to keep him (assuming he and his lovely agent are open to that)

That or just keep a quality player to make a run next year, then let him leave for his big payday

Think everyone wins here tbh

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Yeah, I’d have kept Appleton..
Slots in longer term and more affordably.
With Scheif, PLD, Lowry, Stats, etc… Copp is a luxury, while the Jets could use Apples on the RW
I'm not sure we would have been able to keep Apples long term either. This season, for sure, but he's a season away from a significant raise as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad