Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Andrew Copp re-signs with Jets (1 year, $3.64M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
You think he's going to come out and say he wants out of here as quickly as possible? Players play the angles all the time to stay on the side of the fans. Or are we just forgetting when another client of Overcharges lied through his teeth numerous times about playing time and partners and what side he played on when all he really wanted was to go to New York?

Gull-A-Bull. Don't let what Copp says to the media fool you, he has a plan and he's executing it. People lie all the time, NHL players are no different.

Maybe getting into semantics, but I've never seen a player refer to a specific contract term that they wanted, if they wanted out. He said this previously, too, and could have gone to arbitration. I'm sure Chevy would have entertained the thought of a trade, but the two parties seemed to get a deal done extremely fast after the Pionk signing. Everything about this interaction seemed very amicable and towards a common goal, not like Trouba.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Maybe getting into semantics, but I've never seen a player refer to a specific contract term that they wanted, if they wanted out. He said this previously, too, and could have gone to arbitration. I'm sure Chevy would have entertained the thought of a trade, but the two parties seemed to get a deal done extremely fast after the Pionk signing. Everything about this interaction seemed very amicable and towards a common goal, not like Trouba.

I think both parties would prefer to avoid arbitration it's not a desirable outcome no matter what you are angling for. I guess we will know for sure what Copp's intentions are next summer. If the Jets make him an offer and he goes to FA anyways then it's likely he was angling to get out of town all along. Trouba said he was willing to stay if we overpayed him as well. How much of that was BS or truth we'll never know but he ended up getting the money in NY and it doesn't look so great right now. Whether Copp is angling for money or another location I think he gets paid either way and I have a feeling it won't be the Jets who pay him.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I think both parties would prefer to avoid arbitration it's not a desirable outcome no matter what you are angling for. I guess we will know for sure what Copp's intentions are next summer. If the Jets make him an offer and he goes to FA anyways then it's likely he was angling to get out of town all along. Trouba said he was willing to stay if we overpayed him as well. How much of that was BS or truth we'll never know but he ended up getting the money in NY and it doesn't look so great right now. Whether Copp is angling for money or another location I think he gets paid either way and I have a feeling it won't be the Jets who pay him.
The bolded isn’t necessarily true though. I think angling for money doesn’t equate to angling to get out of town. I think Copp wants to be paid. If the Jets decide he’s worth paying, he’ll stay. I just have a feeling they won’t be able to afford him and he’ll take big money elsewhere. Speculation, certainly.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario

We knew all along about Trouba's fiance/wife, and the predicament that her medical schooling put on him. He spoke openly about it before the trade and we clearly couldn't accommodate it. He went to arbitration before, sat out before, and was likely going to sit out the last year of his contract if he didn't get his way. Copp has never sandbagged and has always been team-first. We easily could have returned a 1st rounder if we offered him up to a team with the information that he was willing to take 5x4.5 immediately, but we gave him every penny we could. If he was guaranteed to be leaving, Chevy would have ground him down in arbitration again to get that AAV as low as possible.

Reactions: hn777

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The bolded isn’t necessarily true though. I think angling for money doesn’t equate to angling to get out of town. I think Copp wants to be paid. If the Jets decide he’s worth paying, he’ll stay. I just have a feeling they won’t be able to afford him and he’ll take big money elsewhere. Speculation, certainly.

Based on his last arbitration it just seems like he's really not all that committed to being in Winnipeg. I'm sure he doesn't have a destination picked out like Trouba but I have a feeling he ends up on an Eastern US team when all is said and done. I don't think the Jets will be willing to pony up a large amount of money with Perfetti on the way. If he ends up being as good as we think he could be then Copp is likely just stapled to Lowry's LW side and paying a lot for a player to play 3rd line LW for you isn't really something the Jets will want to do.

Reactions: Andreas Ferrari

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We knew all along about Trouba's fiance/wife, and the predicament that her medical schooling put on him. He spoke openly about it before the trade and we clearly couldn't accommodate it. He went to arbitration before, sat out before, and was likely going to sit out the last year of his contract if he didn't get his way. Copp has never sandbagged and has always been team-first. We easily could have returned a 1st rounder if we offered him up to a team with the information that he was willing to take 5x4.5 immediately, but we gave him every penny we could. If he was guaranteed to be leaving, Chevy would have ground him down in arbitration again to get that AAV as low as possible.

I seriously doubt with last year's production that Copp was getting less than he was given by Chevy right now. It's an amicable deal for both sides and avoids another messy arbitration hearing. Copp gets to walk his way to FA, Chevy gets Copp at a reasonable rate for a season and we get to playing hockey rather than an arbitration that last time left a sour taste in both parties mouths.

I'd bet money that Copp is not a Jet after next summer unless we give him an insane overpay.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

Can you cite this? I vaguely remember Jim Toth of TSN 1290 saying he had "sources" that claimed this. But did Trouba himself say it in an interview like Copp did about the 4/5 year term?

Contrary to popular belief, not all Overhart clients want to leave their respective teams. Some just want to be paid. Copp volunteered to say he wanted a 4/5 year deal. Why not give the cliche' "we will see" answer?

Also remember what Maurice said in is exit interview:

"I all the years I've been with this team, we have finally reached a point where every single player is fully committed to being a Winnipeg Jet"

Again he volunteered this statement.

So is Copp a malicious lier?
When he gives long statements saying the arb thing is behind him and now he is happy with his role and how things have progressed.. he is lying there too?

Could Maurice be lying too?

I dont think so.

I'm not saying he re-signs. I just dont think he necessarily wants out. I still think he takes a moderate over pay from the Jets over a larger overpay from a non contender.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Can you cite this? I vaguely remember Jim Toth of TSN 1290 saying he had "sources" that claimed this. But did Trouba himself say it in an interview like Copp did about the 4/5 year term?

Contrary to popular belief, not all Overhart clients want to leave their respective teams. Some just want to be paid. Copp volunteered to say he wanted a 4/5 year deal. Why not give the cliche' "we will see" answer?

Also remember what Maurice said in is exit interview:

"I all the years I've been with this team, we have finally reached a point where every single player is fully committed to being a Winnipeg Jet"

Again he volunteered this statement.

So is Copp a malicious lier?
When he says the arb thing is behind him and now he is happy with his role and how things have progressed.. he is lieing there too?

Could Maurice be lying too?

I dont think so.

I'm not saying he re-sings. I just dont think he necessarily wants out.

I can't find one because when I search all that comes up is his trade request but I do remember him being willing to sign a long term deal in the $8+ range before he went to arbitration and then asked for a trade. Or at least I think that was what he said. Could have been lying about that to. Lied about everything else until the end.

I don't think Overhardt clients all want to leave their teams. There is a reason he is nicknamed Overcharge.

Again I don't think if he wants to leave the Jets he's going to come out and say it.

"Yeah you know now that this deal is done I can just get to the ice play my final season here and look to cash in on free agent frenzy next year. This is great it really works for me. Happy to have done business with you Winnipeg."

He's not going to say anything but positive things about the team right now. It would be a really bad look on him and would attract a lot of negative attention in an offseason where the team has a lot of positive vibes going on. He's going to say all the right things and then do whats best for himself when the time comes.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I can't find one because when I search all that comes up is his trade request but I do remember him being willing to sign a long term deal in the $8+ range before he went to arbitration and then asked for a trade. Or at least I think that was what he said. Could have been lying about that to. Lied about everything else until the end.

I don't think Overhardt clients all want to leave their teams. There is a reason he is nicknamed Overcharge.

Again I don't think if he wants to leave the Jets he's going to come out and say it.

"Yeah you know now that this deal is done I can just get to the ice play my final season here and look to cash in on free agent frenzy next year. This is great it really works for me. Happy to have done business with you Winnipeg."

He's not going to say anything but positive things about the team right now. It would be a really bad look on him and would attract a lot of negative attention in an offseason where the team has a lot of positive vibes going on. He's going to say all the right things and then do whats best for himself when the time comes.

I just think he is volunteering too much. You could still be be positive and not go out of your way to give long, thought out statements or getting specific about the term you want. It means he is taking extra effort in lying. Which I guess is possible but I don't think so.

Its common practice in hockey that players are generally truthful when they volunteer positive opinion on things they were not being asked about.

For example .Lets say a reporter asks a new player coming to a team on how he fits into his new role. Lets say the player answers that question. But then he goes out of his way to praise his former coach. Even gives an anecdote about how that coach has helped him. Do you think he volunteered that information to lie? Premeditatedly? This is similar in my opinion.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I just think he is volunteering too much. You could still be be positive and not go out of your way to give long, thought out statements or getting specific about the term you want. It means he is taking extra effort in lying. Which I guess is possible but I don't think so.

Its common practice in hockey that players are generally truthful when they volunteer positive opinion on things they were not being asked about.

For example .Lets say a reporter asks a new player coming to a team on how he fits into his new role. Lets say the player answers that question. But then he goes out of his way to praise his former coach. Even gives an anecdote about how that coach has helped him. Do you think he volunteered that information to lie? Premeditatedly? This is similar in my opinion,

I think people lie about all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons and hockey players are no different. I'm sure Copp see's that a lot of guys have committed to the team and the team looks like it is poised to have a good season. I'm also sure Copp would stick with the Jets if they gave him a nice big fat paycheck because in the end that is what he is after. But if he can get that same big fat paycheck from a team in the US I have a feeling he picks that one over what the Jets offer.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I think people lie about all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons and hockey players are no different. I'm sure Copp see's that a lot of guys have committed to the team and the team looks like it is poised to have a good season. I'm also sure Copp would stick with the Jets if they gave him a nice big fat paycheck because in the end that is what he is after. But if he can get that same big fat paycheck from a team in the US I have a feeling he picks that one over what the Jets offer.

So does he take 5.25X5 in Detroit or Buffalo over 4.75X5 in WPG?. I think the chance of winning is in his decision matrix. Personally, I would accept a moderate overpay to stick with a team that I'm comfortable with and have a chance to win, then going to a team where I may get paid a bit more but likely won't win for the foreseeable future.

If the difference is 4X5
v.s
5-5.5X5, yeah then I can see him following the money.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Based on his last arbitration it just seems like he's really not all that committed to being in Winnipeg. I'm sure he doesn't have a destination picked out like Trouba but I have a feeling he ends up on an Eastern US team when all is said and done. I don't think the Jets will be willing to pony up a large amount of money with Perfetti on the way. If he ends up being as good as we think he could be then Copp is likely just stapled to Lowry's LW side and paying a lot for a player to play 3rd line LW for you isn't really something the Jets will want to do.
I agree, Copp has priced himself out of Winnipeg based on how much he’s looking at for a contract.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So does he take 5.25X5 in Detroit or Buffalo over 4.75X5 in WPG?. I think the chance of winning is in his decision matrix. Personally, I would accept a moderate overpay to stick with a team that I'm comfortable with and have a chance to win, then going to a team where I may get paid a bit more but likely won't win for the foreseeable future.

If the difference is 4X5
v.s
5-5.5X5, yeah then I can see him following the money.

I think he's looking more for term than anything else. He wants the Hyman or Coleman deals. 6 or 7 years at $4.9m to $5.5m, likely with a modified NTC or full on NMC for some or all years. I'd imagine some team will give it to him and I imagine that team will be in the US despite both Coleman and Hyman signing their deals in Canada. Copp wants a place he can settle down in and finish out his career and I think he'll likely go to whoever the highest term and price bidder are.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I agree, Copp has priced himself out of Winnipeg based on how much he’s looking at for a contract.

So when Maurice said " for the first time since I've been here , all players are fully committed to wpg" he went out of his way to lie? He wasn't asked about team morale specifically. He went out of his way to say this. Why did he say it this off season but no other year?

When Copp said the arb stuff is behind him and things have changed. Isn't it possible both teams are over it and it has no bearing on current talks?

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
So when Maurice said " for the first time since I've been here , all players are fully committed to wpg" he went out of his way to lie? He wasn't asked about team morale specifically. He went out of his way to say this. Why did he say it this off season but no other year?

When Copp said the arb stuff is behind him and things have changed. Isn't it possible both teams are over it and it has no bearing on current talks?
I don’t think he hates Winnipeg, and it’s true Copp is fully committed to Winnipeg for this year.

I think he wants to be here and he would stay if we offer him a fair contract. I just don’t see where they get the money from. Copp is a luxury, and we can’t afford to spend big on him long term.

Yeah we could move a defenseman like Dillon if Heinola or Samberg break out on their ELCs, but I’m not so sure moving that money to Copp is a good idea long term.

Copp is a good player, but if he wants $5+ long term I think the Jets are better off letting him walk, especially with Scheifele and Helle needing raises in the not too distant future, Perfetti and Heinola’s ELCs expiring, etc. We won’t have infitine cap in a few years and we can’t afford to pay Copp, who is largely a third liner, $5+ million. Thus, if that’s what he is looking for, he’s priced himself out of Winnipeg.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Beaulieu would have to clear waivers to be sent down. You would think that some team would claim him.

Yes please.
As per your later post... he has gotten worse.
Last season prior to his injury was some of the worst on ice play of any Jet 2.0 player, especially considering that Maurice was playing him on his off side on the top pair. But he looked bad on the 3rd pair as well.

At this point his cap above league minimum is an issue.
His $1.25 mil vs a $725k or $750k contract effects the teams ability to create wiggle room for a trade deadline add.

With the Moose playing in the same city / building the Jets will be able to build up some cap space by carrying a smaller roster at home.

I hope that Heinola and Samberg will be given the opportunities when injuries happen. That makes Beaulieu an expensive option to be eating popcorn in the pressbox.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Copp seems to be angling his way out of Winnipeg, has been for awhile now. I'm willing to bet he's gone by next summer regardless of who he outplays.

I think he has a lot of potential and the Jets can't afford him when he breaks out.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think he has a lot of potential and the Jets can't afford him when he breaks out.

Last year was pretty much him breaking out. He likely won't get the same opportunities again this year though. Not without some significant injuries to key players.

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
the only thing that dislodges that is if Dubois returns to form, he needs a new deal after this year… Wheeler contract has gotta go…

Jets have enough cap space to keep everyone around. Wheeler cap hit isnt ideal, but we can bring back everyone without having to do anything besides let Stastny move on after this season.

Reactions: hn777

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth

He's 28 years old and just had a career year last season. We may have already seen his "breakout" year. If he can put in another 50+ point season again in 2021/22 then there is no way the Jets can resign him. He'll be commanding 5.5+m x 4-5 year term in FA. He will be too expensive for the Jets as a middle six forward.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think we might see a contract extension for Copp early next calendar year. The Jets will have the cap space, they really like Copp, and I think Copp would stay with a decent long term deal.

Reactions: TS Quint and hn777

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think we might see a contract extension for Copp early next calendar year. The Jets will have the cap space, they really like Copp, and I think Copp would stay with a decent long term deal.

I have a feeling that if Dubois hits the potential he has they won't be all that concerned with losing Copp.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have a feeling that if Dubois hits the potential he has they won't be all that concerned with losing Copp.
Agree. Also, Gustafsson is tracking as a very good big defensive C with some offense. If he adds another step to his skating, he could replace a lot of what Copp brings. He's a very impressive young C.

Reactions: hn777 and Daximus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad