Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Andrew Copp re-signs with Jets (1 year, $3.64M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
We will let some other team overpay Copp 5x5 next year and fill his spot from within......If his salary numbers don't work he is a rental this year, while a few possible players in the organization cook from another year with the Moose IMO. I really like Copp, but he is a 3rd line player on our team....he does not have the offensive skill to crack our top 6 (unless we are destroyed by injuries) and we can't pay a 3rd line player 5+ mil.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Copp is going to have the same destiny as Roslovic. He'll join another team that plays him as a legit top 6 player and he'll look good doing so and everyone will say "why didn't the Jets give him that confidence?" and we're going to keep on hearing about how we missmanaged him, yadda yadda, Patrick Laine needs to be put in a situation to score and everything will work magically, yuddu yuddu and nobody will care about the fact that for US Copp doesn't work that way and we don't give away roster spots just because and this will go on and on while we insert Perfetti as a great looking top 6 player and PP contributor on an ELC which works great for our tight cap management because we have plenty of top 6 players and that circle continues until enough time has passed.

Fin

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He said in his interview he wanted to sign for 4 or 5 years but the money just wasn't there. Picking up Schmidt (5.9m) and Dillon (3.9m) cost us just short of 10m.
I am sure Chevy and Copp will work out an agreeable deal and he will sign on for 4 years for around 17m or so.

Reactions: Flair Hay

thai jet

Aug 13, 2021
Winnipeg
Copp is a great story. He made the U of Mich team as a walk on then the the next season was named captain. Drafted by the Jets in the 4th rd he worked his butt off to make the team then move up in the depth chart. Tanev-Lowry-Copp were a sight to behold going against other team's best. A couple years ago he stated in a interview that he saw himself as a 3rd line ctr in the league. Unfortunately that spot is taken by monster shutdown ctr Big Adam Lowry on the Jets. He will get that asśignment but it will be with another team.

Reactions: hn777

thai jet

Aug 13, 2021
Winnipeg
He said in his interview he wanted to sign for 4 or 5 years but the money just wasn't there. Picking up Schmidt (5.9m) and Dillon (3.9m) cost us just short of 10m.
I am sure Chevy and Copp will work out an agreeable deal and he will sign on for 4 years for around 17m or so.

If PLD has a rebound year like we hope and expect the money from Stastny will go to him not Copp.

Reactions: north49er

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
You said core players.

Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor, Ehlers, Morrissey, Pionk, Hellebuyck. All locked up.

Nah, he’s replaceable. He’s not a guy you give whatever he wants to. Glad to have him signed on for another year, but he’s a third liner who looks like he’s priced himself out of Winnipeg.

Lots of good teams lose depth guys like Copp to the cap.

is Copp a core player or is he still a 3rd liner?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
he's playing great but we don't have the cap for him...
Nope, especially not with the forwards we have coming up. Yeah, Wheeler and Stastny are on the decline, but Perfetti is likely a top 6 player soon and the Jets hope Lucius will get there too.

Connor, Ehlers, Scheifele, Dubois, Perfetti, Lucius, even Wheeler for the duration of his contact likely … there just isn’t room for Copp here long term.

He’s gonna cost what we can’t afford and the Jets have depth players (Vesalainen, Gustafsson) whom they hope will be able to fill his bottom six role for cheaper.

He’s a good “own-rental” this season but he the Jets can’t afford to keep him at market value.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
I have to eat crow. Copp is playing great. He even has scoring touch. A person could argue we should trade Ehlers to keep him, but that would be insane.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I think we should try to resign Copp. Let's paper napkin this for next year. Resigned PLD +3M more AAV, Stats gone -3M (3.75M less min sal replacement of Pefetti/other), Copp +2, move out a d-man like DeMelo and replace with Heinola (-2M), who really should be elevated to the NHL next year.

I think the Jets should and will resign Copp and I don't think it's all that hard to figure out how to stuff him in.

Reactions: hn777 and Heldig

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Copp definitely is going to want term next contract. His play keeps getting better and I'm sure he's tired of short contracts below his actual value. Someone will pay him, and he deserves to be paid, but I wonder if he delivers for another team like he does now.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Rangers are looking for a middle 6 player, and as Winnipeg won’t be able to afford to keep Copp, maybe there’s a trade there.

Boxertim

Mar 21, 2014
winnipeg
seems like all players who sign in winnipeg, sign for a team friendly contract. must be a nice place to play if these guys keep doing that. maybe copp does the same

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad