Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Andrew Copp re-signs with Jets (1 year, $3.64M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Nice!

We really couldn't afford to give him more with our salary cap issues.

If we lose him to free agency, then so be it.

We're going for it!

lol . going for it ? at least you won't have to worry about the habs sweeping you again.

just kidding good luck

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
While this does open the door to losing Copp by next season it is better in my mind then just trading him for a downgrade + futures or a futures only package.

The fact that this was agreed to far ahead of the arbitration hearing gives me some hope that both sides are open to re-signing before he turns UFA.

I believe they can sign Copp as early as January for next year.
Stastny's cap hit is off the books next year, likely replaced by Perfetti's ELC contract. That would give the Jets some space to give Copp a fair extension at that point. There was no way, outside of trading another player or Copp giving a big discount to get the longer deal done now.

Hopefully he's motivated to earn a big pay day next year and help us win now.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
1 year =/= locking up
he's clearly not talking about copp.... he's talking about helle scheif ehlers connor wheeler pionk jomo lowry dillon schmidt demelo and 2 more years of control on pld with a bunch of elc's coming

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
1 year =/= locking up

Copp is the 2nd best C on your team, you make room for him
Because they have locked up their core pieces they no longer have room to sign Copp for what he is wanting long term. Your number wouldn’t get it done anyways . There is a salary cap you know right? And something had to give at some point. It has been well known that Copp may be the odd man out for a long time now. But he agreed to a team friendly one year deal to make one last go at a cup with the team he grew up with. Then he will ride off into the sunset and cashing in on his pay day well doing it.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
The whole team can rest when Helle has the day off. Just take the loss and get ready for the next game.
i know we ( the habs ) got some breaks last year but your additions remind me of bergevins last year . i'd just put a little more stock into the backup goaltender. a few more wins wouldn't hurt , keep helly fresh for the playoffs and have a decent option if he gets hurt

Reactions: hn777

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
i said up to 2.5. what is silly is having a backup with under 10 nhl games played in his career. silly and reckless.
Nah, that's not what you said. And either way, our season won't be determined by our backup. It wasn't two seasons ago when Brossoit put up a .895 over 19 games, and it won't be if/when Comrie or whomever we grab to replace him for vet minimum money puts up a <.900 save percentage this season. Comrie can be buried in the AHL. Brossoit for $2.5M would take up cap, even if we sent him down to the A. We have a Vezina caliber goalie that Maurice will likely play 60+ games.

On topic, signing Copp over Appleton for next season, on the other hand, might actually make a difference this season or in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad