Value of: Would Any Team Take Huberdeau @ 5.25M Per Season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
This is only the first year of a 8 year contract at 10.5M per year and he will be 38 when his current contract ends.

The going rate for top line offensive players is around $1M per 10 points.

Last year Huberdeau was putting up points at a 5.5M per year clip.

This year he his putting up points at approximately a 4.0 M per year clip.

Based on the metrics of this ratio, the Flames would have to be able to retain around 65% of his contract to make it have a positive value.

This isn't possible, 50% is the maximum they could retain. If they laundered his contract through a 3rd party, say a team that need to make the cap floor, they could reach a positive value.

Would any intermediary team retain 2.6M for 8 years and what recipient team would keep him on their roster at 2.6M for 8 years?

But at what cost to the Flames in other assets?

Maybe he is the next occupant of Robidas Island:

Last edited:

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
This is only the first year of a 8 year contract at 10.5M per year and he will be 38 when his current contract ends.

The going rate for top line offensive players is around $1M per 10 points.

Last year Huberdeau was putting up points at a 5.5M per year clip.

This year he his putting up points at approximately a 4.0 M per year clip.

Based on the metrics of this ratio, the Flames would have to be able to retain around 65% of his contract to make it have a positive value.

This isn't possible, 50% is the maximum they could retain. If they laundered his contract through a 3rd party, say a team that need to make the cap floor, they could reach a positive value.

Would any intermediary team retain 2.6M for 8 years and what recipient team would keep him on their roster at 2.6M for 8 years?

But at what cost to the Flames in other assets?

Maybe he is the next occupant of Robadas Island:

dont see any team jumping in to be 3rd party broker of 8 years, thats an insane timeframe to be saddled with a cap hit and retention slot for guy never played for you. I cant see a 1st being enough sweetner for 3rd team.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
A bad team might take a chance on him. But flames would have to pay to get rid of him. I would just keep him if I was Calgary. Maybe he can regain his game.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
A team that has trouble signing FAs would do it. Columbus maybe would talk themselves into the reclaimation project for example. But yeah 7.5 years of term makes it a stay away for the vast majority of teams.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
A bad team might take a chance on him. But flames would have to pay to get rid of him. I would just keep him if I was Calgary. Maybe he can regain his game.
Bad teams are typically rebuilding teams. No rebuilding team is taking Huberdeau.

Reactions: Kegs

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
A team that has trouble signing FAs would do it. Columbus maybe would talk themselves into the reclaimation project for example. But yeah 7.5 years of term makes it a stay away for the vast majority of teams.
johnny hockey signed there, if there is a good deal players will sign. how is a 30yo with 8 years left a reclaimation project, guys dont revert back to 27yo self at 35. not saying hube cant be productive in his 30s just not to warrant that deal, esp on a team he did nothing for. crosby or ovi get big deals late in their career from the team they played with ok, why would columbus or anyone not florida give hube anything

GMs need to stop signing 30yo to 8 year huge contracts
crappy thing and i feel for Calgary fans is GM who did that crazy deal bolts after ink is dry

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The NHL needs to get away from fully guaranteed contracts.
NHL contracts aren't fully guaranteed. The team can terminate the contract and buy out the remaining value for a fraction of the full cost.

However, if NHL teams were able to unilaterally terminate player contracts and just walk away without compensation, then the right to terminate should work both ways: the player should have the same corresponding right to terminate and become a UFA as well.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I think that both the teams and the players would prefer it the way it is.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Imagine if Calgary paid the Panther's 2 1st round picks to take Huberdeu's contract with 1/2 retention.

• Love
Reactions: MaWa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad