Value of: Would Any Team Take Huberdeau @ 5.25M Per Season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not that i see this happening but I would make a deal contingent on Hannifin resigning long term

Huberdeau, Hannifin and Zadorov for Pulock, Pelech and Lee

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I think Calgary is gonna try to make it work for another season or two beyond this one and will just have to buy him out if it comes down to it.

Cause if it doesn’t work, Calgary will likely be rebuilding and will need to hold onto their picks. So I can’t see them paying another team to take the contract on. Or they’ll keep him around cause they need to make the floor.

Either way, I’d be very surprised if he’s traded.

Reactions: Ciao

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Huberdeau didn't forget how to play hockey and he hasn't regressed. Dude is a slow it down, east west player playing in a straight line, north south system. Send him to a team that plays a more structured, set up game and he'll be good for a few more years.

Too long and too much money but he's got a few years as a good player so I'd take him at a bargain.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's just completely unreasonable to think the Flames ownership would ever approve that kind of retention, paying the guy $5M+ for 8 years to play for...someone else? Not a chance. Consequently, you'd be hard-pressed to find a GM who would even dare pitch something like that to ownership.

Moreover...retaining that much on Huberdeau, i'm not sure where that even really gets you. If your mandate is still to compete...you're then out there searching for a Huberdeau-caliber player for $5M just to basically break even on the roster talent. At that point, why bother? Just tinker around and try to find some linemates who he actually meshes with and hope for the best. It's not like his talent has altogether evaporated...he just hasn't gelled at all with his new team or linemates.

Alternatively, if the mandate is to bottom-out and rebuild...i still don't know what paying Huberdeau to play for someone else really accomplishes for you. :dunno: At that point he's probably not stopping you from tanking...unless he really turns things around. If he does that, you might even find a way to dip out of some of his contract a la Karlsson, by taking on some shorter-term dead weight and/or at least retaining less than 50% for an insane length of time. Allows you to use those retention slots more strategically in the meantime, as a rebuilding team. Rather than stupidly tying it up for half of eternity for no real benefit.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I don't think in anyone's worst case scenario did they think Huberdeau would fall of a cliff this much offensively. It's pretty concerning and I am not sure I would take a chance even with that retention. His play itself is quite ineffective in the games I have watched. Too many years left on that contract.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I would love this personally. The Cap structure is needed, guaranteed contract are not.
How about both the player and the team have the option of unilaterally terminating the contract at the end of each season?

It should work both ways, right?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Huberdeau didn't forget how to play hockey and he hasn't regressed. Dude is a slow it down, east west player playing in a straight line, north south system. Send him to a team that plays a more structured, set up game and he'll be good for a few more years.

Too long and too much money but he's got a few years as a good player so I'd take him at a bargain.
If he can play east west Calgary should just build a line for him and do that.

Reactions: Just Linda

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
If he can play east west Calgary should just build a line for him and do that.
That would solve so many of their issues.

I watched the Kings dismantle the Habs the other night using the exact type of system Huberdeau is built for. They broke into the zone and setup simple plays, played to their options instead of to a formula.

Calgary is so frustrating because they keep trying what doesn't work.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
If players could guarantee the production they get paid for, maybe it could go both ways.
Or, if the player is out-producing the contract then they can waive goodbye -- just as if they're under-producing the owners can terminate the deal?

The works both ways.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I think Calgary is gonna try to make it work for another season or two beyond this one and will just have to buy him out if it comes down to it.

Cause if it doesn’t work, Calgary will likely be rebuilding and will need to hold onto their picks. So I can’t see them paying another team to take the contract on. Or they’ll keep him around cause they need to make the floor.

Either way, I’d be very surprised if he’s traded.
The bonus structure makes the contract effectively buyout proof. If they were to buy him out after 2 more seasons - after this one. (summer 2016) The buy out cap hits are 10.3M,10.3M,7.8M,10.3M, 5.8M and then 5 years of 800K. In 3 of the 5 years you save 200K against his 10.5M cap hit. Plus he has a NMC. The only way out is LTIR.

Retention (doubt anyone touches it) is also problematic if the new team eventually LTIRs him as Cal would not get the benefit of the LTIR and be stuck with the retention anyway. It may be the worse contract in the league.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Contract is buyout proof due to 75% signing bonuses and 25%.

Retention of 50% brings the cap to a manageable $5.25M per, but with 7.5 years remaining at the current age of 30. He also possesses a full NMC and modified the final 2 seasons. Final 3 seasons salary of $3.5, $1.0 and $5.5 ensures he will complete the contract and not retire.

Too many years and high cap, it’s nearly immovable. LTIR as many have suggested is the likely the only option unless incentives are provided ie. multiple 1sts.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Lmao. The guy is 30 years old and still has 8 years left on his contract.
Most teams looking to acquire a player like Huberdeau at half off don’t realistically have 8 year windows. Most teams have a 3-5 year window realistically so once that passes having an overpaid guy around for a rebuild really doesn’t hurt. Plus if he has any game left you can retain 50% more and send him as a rental to a team for only 2.625M and if he LTIRetires no cap hit so no problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad